Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,657 members, 7,801,911 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 05:20 AM

Intercontinental Lagos - Tallest Hotel In West-Africa - Launched - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Intercontinental Lagos - Tallest Hotel In West-Africa - Launched (58273 Views)

Gov. Fashola Unveils The Tallest Hotel In West Africa In Lagos (PHOTOS) / World Tallest Hotel Set To Be Opened In Dubai (photos) / The Ritz-carlton Hong Kong: The World's Tallest Hotel (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Intercontinental Lagos - Tallest Hotel In West-Africa - Launched by solapex: 7:45am On Sep 30, 2013

The tallest hotel in West Africa, Intercontinental Lagos, built at a cost of N30 billion, was unveiled in Lagos yesterday.

The hotel located at Kofo Abayomi Street, Victoria Island, Lagos, Southwest Nigeria is a 23-storey building containing 358 rooms and 37 suites and a Presidential suite.

The Intercontinental Lagos, a subsidiary of the Intercontinental Hotel Group, IHG, is owned by the Milan Group.

Chairman, Milan Group, Ramesh Valechha said the hotel would change the landscape of Lagos and boost the hospitality industry in the state.

He disclosed that Memorandum of Understanding for the project was signed on 31 March, 2004 while it took two years to complete the design work before the conceptualisation of the project began.

He stated that the Lagos State Government, Skye Bank and Wema Bank were supportive of the project.

Valechha disclosed the building of the hotel cost over N30 billion while 650 jobs were created for Nigerians.

Regional General Manager, IHG, Africa, Karl Hala said the hotel is the leading hotel in Nigeria, saying the group had 170 Intercontinental Hotels in 60 countries of the world.

He described the unveiling of the hotel in Lagos as a significant milestone in the hospitality industry, adding that the group also had 20 Intercontinental Hotels in Africa and that the hotel was the only 5-star hotel in Nigeria.

Chief Executive Officer, Design Group, Bayo Odunlami said it took lots of challenging moment in the design and conceptualization of the project, saying he was happy that the group overcame the hurdles.

http://pmnewsnigeria.com/2013/09/29/fashola-unveils-west-africas-tallest-hotel-in-lagos/

3 Likes

Re: Intercontinental Lagos - Tallest Hotel In West-Africa - Launched by Rossikk(m): 8:35am On Sep 30, 2013
It is not the only five star hotel in Nigeria.

20 Likes

Re: Intercontinental Lagos - Tallest Hotel In West-Africa - Launched by Nobody: 8:45am On Sep 30, 2013
SW again? angry

3 Likes

Re: Intercontinental Lagos - Tallest Hotel In West-Africa - Launched by sEyi6: 8:46am On Sep 30, 2013
Rossikk: It is not the only five star hotel in Nigeria.

Not sure if many of Nigeria's so called "five star hotels" would pass for it outside Nigeria.

@ post, looks good.

https://www.nairaland.com/1318569/intercontinental-hotel-opens-lagos

3 Likes

Re: Intercontinental Lagos - Tallest Hotel In West-Africa - Launched by Rossikk(m): 8:59am On Sep 30, 2013
$£yi:

Not sure if many of Nigeria's so called "five star hotels" would pass for it outside Nigeria.

@ post, looks good.

https://www.nairaland.com/1318569/intercontinental-hotel-opens-lagos
I've been all over and believe me, foreign hotels are over rated. Most are no better or worse than their Nigerian counterparts.

28 Likes

Re: Intercontinental Lagos - Tallest Hotel In West-Africa - Launched by sEyi6: 9:08am On Sep 30, 2013
Rossikk: I've been all over and believe me, foreign hotels are over rated. Most are no better or worse than their Nigerian counterparts.

Not as much as Nigerians overrate theirs. Perhaps you are referring to their services, but architecturally we are just too behind.

16 Likes

Re: Intercontinental Lagos - Tallest Hotel In West-Africa - Launched by Nobody: 9:31am On Sep 30, 2013
A massive N30b ($200m) 'investment' created a paltry 650 jobs?

Besides, who patronises these overpriced 'luxury' hotels for pete's sake? I'm sure they are not "tourists" as the state government deludedly advertises. There are already too many of these vanity projects in Lagos, and I don't see how we need more.

It wouldn't be a bad idea for the thieves who finance these white elephants (whilst hiding behind the facade of foreign partners) to consider channeling their loot towards more productive investments - that would have a greater impact on the state's development and benefit a greater number of ordinary people.. . .in terms of job creation and otherwise.

98 Likes

Re: Intercontinental Lagos - Tallest Hotel In West-Africa - Launched by Alakeogun: 9:33am On Sep 30, 2013
Another TINUBU project to siphone lagos State. Another revenue collection scheme

11 Likes

Re: Intercontinental Lagos - Tallest Hotel In West-Africa - Launched by Nonybb: 9:41am On Sep 30, 2013
Remnant of Asiwaju loot

8 Likes

Re: Intercontinental Lagos - Tallest Hotel In West-Africa - Launched by SLIDEwaxie(m): 10:21am On Sep 30, 2013
pro01: A massive N30b ($200m) 'investment' created a paltry 650 jobs?

Besides, who patronises these overpriced 'luxury' hotels for pete's sake? I'm sure they are not "tourists" as the state government deludedly advertises. There are already too many of these vanity projects in Lagos, and I don't see how we need more.

It wouldn't be a bad idea for the thieves that finance these white elephants (whilst hiding behind the facade of foreign partners) to consider channeling their loot towards more productive investments that would have a greater impact on development and benefit a greater number of ordinary people.. . .in terms of job creation and otherwise.
hehehehe: one hater down, more to go!

6 Likes

Re: Intercontinental Lagos - Tallest Hotel In West-Africa - Launched by Trailii: 10:27am On Sep 30, 2013

It wouldn't be a bad idea for the thieves that finance these white elephants (whilst hiding behind the facade of foreign partners) to consider channeling their loot towards more productive investments that would have a greater impact on development and benefit a greater number of ordinary people.. . .in terms of job creation and otherwise.
enemy of progress.

2 Likes

Re: Intercontinental Lagos - Tallest Hotel In West-Africa - Launched by SLIDEwaxie(m): 10:30am On Sep 30, 2013
Alakeogun: Another TINUBU project to siphone lagos State. Another revenue collection scheme
two haters down, more to go!

If only ur insensible looters up east were sensible enuff to invest their loots in Nigeria instead of enriching other countries by paying heavy tax due to their buying up comforts and luxuries!

20 Likes

Re: Intercontinental Lagos - Tallest Hotel In West-Africa - Launched by Gbawe: 10:34am On Sep 30, 2013

Alakeogun: Another TINUBU project to siphone lagos State. Another revenue collection scheme

Nonybb: Remnant of Asiwaju loot

You guys demonstrate why Africa has not reached the level it should be at. You are educated yet cannot seek solutions let alone deliver it. It is the ability for local minds to deliver local solutions that set societies apart worldwide. With Africa, local minds seem ill-equipped and incapable of delivering solutions and we see why with your utterances above. Instead of constituting yourselves into the solutions providers of your Country, so that you can deliver Hotels like this to address hospitality demands and make yourselves wealthy in the process, you are all busy displaying crass ignorance, pettiness and an obsession with discussing inanities instead of ideas.

It is the Intercontinental Hotel group that is behind this. If you know who they are, what they do and what they have achieved, you would not be making the regrettably ignorant statements above. This is the private capital of one of the biggest hotel groups in the world behind this and I suggest you folks educate yourselves. Even bad belle against anyone/anything should not prompt this level of ignorance and abysmally stymied world-view if the Nigerian education system produces solutions providers who gain inspiration and guidance from commendable achievements.

http://www.ihgplc.com/index.asp?pageid=2

IHG is one of the world's leading hotel companies
That's over 157 million guests nights per annum, 678,000 rooms in over 4,600 hotels in nearly 100 countries and territories around the world.

60 Likes

Re: Intercontinental Lagos - Tallest Hotel In West-Africa - Launched by pimplucious: 10:46am On Sep 30, 2013
$£yi:

Not as much as Nigerians overrate theirs. Perhaps you are referring to their services, but architecturally we are just too behind.

U are very wrong on that one bros
Re: Intercontinental Lagos - Tallest Hotel In West-Africa - Launched by Olaone1: 11:25am On Sep 30, 2013
$£yi:

Wrong.
Architecturally, we are okay.
Services, we are far behind. Budget hotels abroad give better services compared with naija '5'-star ones

7 Likes

Re: Intercontinental Lagos - Tallest Hotel In West-Africa - Launched by Sunnybobo3(m): 11:30am On Sep 30, 2013
$£yi:

Can you tell me a hotel in London that architecturally beats this one or Transcorp Hilton?

It's in services that they actually beat Nigerian hotels hands down.

3 Likes

Re: Intercontinental Lagos - Tallest Hotel In West-Africa - Launched by Gbawe: 11:45am On Sep 30, 2013
Ola one:
Wrong.
Services, we are far behind. Budget hotels abroad give better services compared with naija '5'-star ones

I would agree broadly because I think we have made good strides in the past two decades with the quality of ideas, inspiration and thinking behind what our Architect are doing. I agree also that the quality of service provided is the main sticking point.

1 Like

Re: Intercontinental Lagos - Tallest Hotel In West-Africa - Launched by Nobody: 12:04pm On Sep 30, 2013
So many high brow hotels located at the island. What happened to places like Oshodi, Ojota, Surulere etc? Do i see a disparity between the rich and poor? We need more of such hotels at the mainland too.

Nice edifice anyway! cool

4 Likes

Re: Intercontinental Lagos - Tallest Hotel In West-Africa - Launched by Gbawe: 12:13pm On Sep 30, 2013
berem: So many high brow hotels located at the island. What happened to places like Oshodi, Ojota, Surulere etc? Do i see a disparity between the rich and poor? We need more of such hotels at the mainland too.

The main problem is that property developers and Hoteliers, because it is their cash, conduct feasibility studies for project viability. For many reasons the Island win as an attractive site for the most prestigious hotel projects. I concur that it would be desirable to spread 'grandeur' but the Government and ordinary Nigerians have no say in what hoteliers and developers do.

3 Likes

Re: Intercontinental Lagos - Tallest Hotel In West-Africa - Launched by sEyi6: 1:01pm On Sep 30, 2013
Ola one:
Wrong.

Mind if you list or better still post pictures of our architecturally sound '5-star' hotels.
Re: Intercontinental Lagos - Tallest Hotel In West-Africa - Launched by adexsimply(m): 1:24pm On Sep 30, 2013
Can Someone pleas show me the stars?

*just kidding
cheesy cheesy

1 Like

Re: Intercontinental Lagos - Tallest Hotel In West-Africa - Launched by Rossikk(m): 1:51pm On Sep 30, 2013
$£yi:

Architecturally? I don't think we're behind at all. You should see the London Hilton in Marble Arch or even the Dorchester. Nothing spectacular at all. Same as New York hotels. They are mostly Victorian and Edwardian edifices. In places like Florida, LA etc we can talk of nice modern hotels which Nigerian hotels are more similar to in design philosophy.

4 Likes

Re: Intercontinental Lagos - Tallest Hotel In West-Africa - Launched by Rossikk(m): 1:59pm On Sep 30, 2013
Ola one:

Budget hotels abroad give better services compared with naija '5'-star ones

That is SIMPLY NOT TRUE.

In many Budget hotels in the US and the UK you would struggle to get WI Fi or even a good dinner. Many 3 star hotels in the UK even lack AC and room service, swimming pools etc. Abeg make we hear something.
Re: Intercontinental Lagos - Tallest Hotel In West-Africa - Launched by Katsumoto: 3:31pm On Sep 30, 2013
Gbawe:

The main problem is that property developers and Hoteliers, because it is their cash, conduct feasibility studies for project viability. For many reasons the Island win as an attractive site for the most prestigious hotel projects. I concur that it would be desirable to spread 'grandeur' but the Government and ordinary Nigerians have no say in what hoteliers and developers do.

The grandest hotels are ALWAYS in the best areas. The best hotels in London are in May Fair/ Park Lane. Would the Dorcehster be a 5 star hotel if it was in Basildon?

Second, most tourists typically go to the same location. The Island is where the fun and it is only logical that the best hotels are there. The best hotels in Vegas are also on the strip because the value of the land on the strip is higher than anywhere else in Vegas.

6 Likes

Re: Intercontinental Lagos - Tallest Hotel In West-Africa - Launched by Katsumoto: 3:35pm On Sep 30, 2013
berem: So many high brow hotels located at the island. What happened to places like Oshodi, Ojota, Surulere etc? Do i see a disparity between the rich and poor? We need more of such hotels at the mainland too.

You mean they should have developed that hotel in Oshodi? Who would stay there if it was in Oshodi? There are hotels all over Lagos, so why should this hotel or any other similar hotel have to be developed in the other places?
Re: Intercontinental Lagos - Tallest Hotel In West-Africa - Launched by Gbawe: 5:54pm On Sep 30, 2013
Katsumoto:

The grandest hotels are ALWAYS in the best areas. The best hotels in London are in May Fair/ Park Lane. Would the Dorcehster be a 5 star hotel if it was in Basildon?

Second, most tourists typically go to the same location. The Island is where the fun and it is only logical that the best hotels are there. The best hotels in Vegas are also on the strip because the value of the land on the strip is higher than anywhere else in Vegas.

Indeed. Property developers and hotelier operating at the luxury end of the market would inevitably concentrate on locating their marquee projects in the plushest part of town.

1 Like

Re: Intercontinental Lagos - Tallest Hotel In West-Africa - Launched by Teotihuacan: 6:33pm On Sep 30, 2013
Since it is not yoruba owned, i would say it is a welcome development.

1 Like

Re: Intercontinental Lagos - Tallest Hotel In West-Africa - Launched by shevon: 7:09pm On Sep 30, 2013

It wouldn't be a bad idea for the thieves who finance these white elephants (whilst hiding behind the facade of foreign partners) to consider channeling their loot towards more productive investments - that would have a greater impact on the state's development and benefit a greater number of ordinary people.. . .in terms of job creation and otherwise.

My dear, they were overbooked even before they opened. I have a friend working there that earns more than I do as a staff of a multinational oil servicing company. I'd rather I stay there than hole up in Sheraton any day.

6 Likes

Re: Intercontinental Lagos - Tallest Hotel In West-Africa - Launched by zolajpower: 7:18pm On Sep 30, 2013
check out if atiku is standing among the dignitaries.... he owns the hotel if he was among them
Re: Intercontinental Lagos - Tallest Hotel In West-Africa - Launched by 80million1: 7:19pm On Sep 30, 2013
*speechless*
Re: Intercontinental Lagos - Tallest Hotel In West-Africa - Launched by shachris02: 7:20pm On Sep 30, 2013
Re: Intercontinental Lagos - Tallest Hotel In West-Africa - Launched by Adex097: 7:21pm On Sep 30, 2013
Ekò oni baje o !!!! cheesy

3 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Italian Man Shares A Picture He Took With His Family In Onitsha In 1977-Pictures / Cow Causes Accident In Abuja, Nigeria’s Capital City / Nigerian Man Begs To Be Deported After 5 Years In Italy/Germany (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.