Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,866 members, 7,802,782 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 09:28 PM

Intercontinental Lagos - Tallest Hotel In West-Africa - Launched - Travel (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Intercontinental Lagos - Tallest Hotel In West-Africa - Launched (58277 Views)

Gov. Fashola Unveils The Tallest Hotel In West Africa In Lagos (PHOTOS) / World Tallest Hotel Set To Be Opened In Dubai (photos) / The Ritz-carlton Hong Kong: The World's Tallest Hotel (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Intercontinental Lagos - Tallest Hotel In West-Africa - Launched by digospel2: 8:54am On Oct 01, 2013
It's good but a misplaced priority. A lot of bad roads in Lagos,
Area boys in the street. We need more of goods productive industries to employ them, , large scale farming
that will reduce the cost of food stuff. Large quantity of rice Consume in Lagos are imported

2 Likes

Re: Intercontinental Lagos - Tallest Hotel In West-Africa - Launched by adconline(m): 8:58am On Oct 01, 2013
Orlando Owoh:
And you think Toronto is ESUT, where time bombs waiting to explode are graduated?
Going to Toronto is different from purchasing a " Toronto" certificate from Oluwale Market.. I'd take ESUT grads over Toronto Oluwale University any time

1 Like

Re: Intercontinental Lagos - Tallest Hotel In West-Africa - Launched by adconline(m): 9:01am On Oct 01, 2013
digospel2: It's good but a misplaced priority. A lot of bad roads in Lagos,
Area boys in the street. We need more of goods productive industries to employ them, , large scale farming
that will reduce the cost of food stuff. Large quantity of rice Consume in Lagos are imported
This is a private Enterprize undertaken by IHG.. Naija is 20th place to get such in Africa. Let other players go into agriculture and related fields. We need development in all sectors!
Re: Intercontinental Lagos - Tallest Hotel In West-Africa - Launched by Osarieme415(m): 9:02am On Oct 01, 2013
Yeah,the tallest hotel in West Africa,but not for long
Re: Intercontinental Lagos - Tallest Hotel In West-Africa - Launched by bropeee(m): 9:03am On Oct 01, 2013
Osarieme415: Yeah,the tallest hotel in West Africa,but not for long
Re: Intercontinental Lagos - Tallest Hotel In West-Africa - Launched by jaybee3(m): 9:16am On Oct 01, 2013
Why do people keep shouting misplaced priority when the damn thing is a private project
If private companies are investing in a market then surely that means investment confidence is growing which directly translates to a growing economy no matter what way you look at it.

3 Likes

Re: Intercontinental Lagos - Tallest Hotel In West-Africa - Launched by OrlandoOwoh(m): 9:21am On Oct 01, 2013
ceejayluv:
It's either you're hopelessly paranoid,,or childishly trolling. Either way it's the hard economy I blame.
Re: Intercontinental Lagos - Tallest Hotel In West-Africa - Launched by kaeto(m): 9:25am On Oct 01, 2013
SLIDE waxie: hehehehe: one hater down, more to go!
don't make me call you a goat. Do you see the number of sane people liking that comment? That is one of the wisest analysis ever made on nL...
Re: Intercontinental Lagos - Tallest Hotel In West-Africa - Launched by Twist4u: 9:30am On Oct 01, 2013
after following the westgate mall terorism attack in kenya closely,i refuse to applause mega structures of this nature.with bokoharam by our side,23 story building with presidential suits are potential NEST 4 bokoharam 2 cos collatral damage.
Re: Intercontinental Lagos - Tallest Hotel In West-Africa - Launched by adelaja70(m): 9:31am On Oct 01, 2013
kaeto: don't make me call you a goat. Do you see the number of sane people liking that comment? That is one of the wisest analysis ever made on nL...
You mean the most senseless?!....
Re: Intercontinental Lagos - Tallest Hotel In West-Africa - Launched by specco(m): 9:40am On Oct 01, 2013
jay bee: Why do people keep shouting misplaced priority when the damn thing is a private project
If private companies are investing in a market then surely that means investment confidence is growing which directly translates to a growing economy no matter what way you look at it.

The looters of our common wealth are investing via some foreign partners. We are not fooled. If the money were gotten legally and through sweat they will invest properly but with easy money anything goes as we see in all the white elephant projects that dot our landscape.

2 Likes

Re: Intercontinental Lagos - Tallest Hotel In West-Africa - Launched by mbulela: 9:41am On Oct 01, 2013
tomaagy:

Hmmm I'm gonna need to disagree with your intelligence sorry, I happen to be very involved in this intercontinental project (It wise, my coy supplied their hospitality solutions) it's not an ihg investment, neither are the Sheratons owned by starwood, they manage d hotels for the owners, I can reel out owners for you but I won't, it's like a contract.

By the way I've slept in all this major hotels n yea ihg Lagos is 5 star.
That is no secret. it is the normal practice. These groups brand and manage the hotels for a fee or a share of the profit. All these hotels re owned by individuals.
Re: Intercontinental Lagos - Tallest Hotel In West-Africa - Launched by nrdgeek: 9:44am On Oct 01, 2013
jayblinx: boss u just lied....wat eva hotel mr fashola built isnt the tallest hotel in west africa....Hotel 2 fervrier in lome togo has 36 storeys...and has the record of the tallest...dont come here and deceive any1....if u want to b sure...use google or check the other post on lome togo and see dat tall building wit sumtn lyk an ''X'' on top....i live in togo

Qc-1:

Well..Google search said this hotel is the tallest in west Africa....see link below :

https://www.google.ca/search?q=tallest+hotel+in+west+africa&aq=f&oq=tallest+hotel+in+west+africa&aqs=chrome.0.57j60l2j0l2j62.7810j0&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#q=tallest+hotel+in+west+africa&tbm=nws

We need facts and figures here. We cannot just continue to brag and lay claims from our imaginations or throw numbers from our bum.

Hôtel du 2 Février in Lomé, Togo: 36 floors, standing at 102m (Note that wikipedia still requests for a citation for the buildings height)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hotel_du_2_Fevrier

Intercontinental Lagos: 23-storey, 100 metres high
http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/west-africa-s-tallest-hotel-intercontinental-lagos-opens/149822/

Re: Intercontinental Lagos - Tallest Hotel In West-Africa - Launched by AjanleKoko: 9:44am On Oct 01, 2013
Katsumoto:

Bros thats not accurate

Hotels in Europe are better than hotels in the states. Hotels in the States are similar to the airports there, dowdy looking. Europe always trumps the States when it comes to quality.

I take it you live in the UK. So I understand your POV grin
Re: Intercontinental Lagos - Tallest Hotel In West-Africa - Launched by mbulela: 9:48am On Oct 01, 2013
specco:

The looters of our common wealth are investing via some foreign partners. We are not fooled. If the money were gotten legally and through sweat they will invest properly but with easy money anything goes as we see in all the white elephant projects that dot our landscape.
I don't agree with this argument of yours. Do you have any solid proof that this investment is by looters of our commonwealth?
How do you call this a white elephant project? Each and everyone of these 4 or 5 star hotels are bringing ROI and those opening the new ones are seeking counsel from the owners of the older ones and finding out that returns are being worth it. I know folks who try to make reservations in some of these hotels and the occupancy rate and the number of times they are told that they are fully booked,give a clue to how lucrative the biz is.
Re: Intercontinental Lagos - Tallest Hotel In West-Africa - Launched by Gbawe: 9:50am On Oct 01, 2013
jay bee: Why do people keep shouting misplaced priority when the damn thing is a private project

Precisely. It is really irritating when people cannot grasp this basic concept which their further contributions should be based on.
Re: Intercontinental Lagos - Tallest Hotel In West-Africa - Launched by mbulela: 9:53am On Oct 01, 2013
i admire you guts.
telling folks how to spend their money.
maybe you can get the NASS to pass a law banning new hotels and forcing folks to go into agriculture by force.
In capitalism,as long as their is a demand, supply will forever manifest.
After all those who will run and own those rice farms will sleep somewhere. Abi dem go sleep under bridge?

1 Like

Re: Intercontinental Lagos - Tallest Hotel In West-Africa - Launched by Gbawe: 9:54am On Oct 01, 2013

Once you fundamentally accept that this is a project driven by private sector cash then you should hopefully discern that your talk of "misplaced priority" is neither here nor there in relation to this hotel.
Re: Intercontinental Lagos - Tallest Hotel In West-Africa - Launched by Olaone1: 9:54am On Oct 01, 2013
AjanleKoko:

I take it you live in the UK. So I understand your POV grin
grin grin grin
No! He lives in Spain.
Re: Intercontinental Lagos - Tallest Hotel In West-Africa - Launched by AjanleKoko: 9:57am On Oct 01, 2013
Ola one:
grin grin grin
No! He lives in Spain.

Interesting. Even worse hotels grin
Re: Intercontinental Lagos - Tallest Hotel In West-Africa - Launched by Gbawe: 10:00am On Oct 01, 2013
mbulela:
i admire you guts.
telling folks how to spend their money.
maybe you can get the NASS to pass a law banning new hotels and forcing folks to go into agriculture by force.

In capitalism,as long as their is a demand, supply will forever manifest.
After all those who will run and own those rice farms will sleep somewhere. Abi dem go sleep under bridge?

My brother, the thing tire man sef. How will Nigeria ever become a Country of solution providers when so many Nigerians think others, even private investors, owe them something? The attitude of seeing ourselves as powerless victims always, at the mercy of others, is what is responsible for some here failing to make the distinction between the public and private sector.

Personally, I think the private sector in Africa currently is beautifully unique. If only Africans themselves will realize this. With the private sector, any of us can get involved to be absolutely whatever our personal ambition enables us to be.

1 Like

Re: Intercontinental Lagos - Tallest Hotel In West-Africa - Launched by Olaone1: 10:01am On Oct 01, 2013
AjanleKoko:

Interesting. Even worse hotels grin
Hahaha grin
Katz, see yabbing cheesy
Re: Intercontinental Lagos - Tallest Hotel In West-Africa - Launched by Nobody: 11:58am On Oct 01, 2013
pro01: A massive N30b ($200m) 'investment' created a paltry 650 jobs?

Besides, who patronises these overpriced 'luxury' hotels for pete's sake? I'm sure they are not "tourists" as the state government deludedly advertises. There are already too many of these vanity projects in Lagos, and I don't see how we need more.

It wouldn't be a bad idea for the thieves who finance these white elephants (whilst hiding behind the facade of foreign partners) to consider channeling their loot towards more productive investments - that would have a greater impact on the state's development and benefit a greater number of ordinary people.. . .in terms of job creation and otherwise.

Seriously, Nigerians are not creative people. I observe a lot of businessmen. Once they have made some money, their investments dont exceed HOTELS and FUELLING STATIONS.
Re: Intercontinental Lagos - Tallest Hotel In West-Africa - Launched by Nobody: 12:19pm On Oct 01, 2013
Adex097: Ekò oni baje o !!!! cheesy

How much stake do you own in the hotel ?
Re: Intercontinental Lagos - Tallest Hotel In West-Africa - Launched by naptu2: 12:20pm On Oct 01, 2013
okpara ugo:

Seriously, Nigerians are not creative people. I observe a lot of businessmen. Once they have made some money, their investments dont exceed HOTELS and FUELLING STATIONS.

Nigerians
Re: Intercontinental Lagos - Tallest Hotel In West-Africa - Launched by naptu2: 12:27pm On Oct 01, 2013
Everybody has a right to invest in whatever legitimate business they want to invest in (after considering their own unique circumstance and feasibility studies that they've conducted).

Imagine that you are a massive importer of a product into Nigeria and you have an extremely powerful potential competitor (who produces that product locally) and the government is always threatening to ban importation of that product. It's only natural that you would think of diversifying your portfolio.

Then you discover that the hotel business is booming and with the growing economy and increase in the quality and quantity of infrastructure provided by government, it is projected that the sector will continue growing for the foreseeable future. Will you not consider investing in that business (especially considering the fact that you can out-invest the competition with the enormous financial muscle you have from your monopoly importation business)?
Re: Intercontinental Lagos - Tallest Hotel In West-Africa - Launched by VanOmiyale: 12:30pm On Oct 01, 2013
Nigerians are very funny people they travel abroad they see these kind of buildings they trip but when it is built in naija it is termed as waste of money!!.

1 Like

Re: Intercontinental Lagos - Tallest Hotel In West-Africa - Launched by kabaka1: 12:45pm On Oct 01, 2013
Gbawe:

The main problem is that property developers and Hoteliers, because it is their cash, conduct feasibility studies for project viability. For many reasons the Island win as an attractive site for the most prestigious hotel projects. I concur that it would be desirable to spread 'grandeur' but the Government and ordinary Nigerians have no say in what hoteliers and developers do.

I understand n agree with most of ur points here, I just want 2 hint that d govt can shift d perceptions of hoteliers siting of their hotels by giving some incentives like tax breaks etc...but I think one major thing from govt n ordinary citizens that can make hoteliers build 5-star hotels in areas like Makoko n Surulere is that those areas have replan d scenery of their environment, so they can looked uniquely planned aestethically n also shoul have good access roads to major cities, business locations n major tourist attractions on d state.

U know there's nothing like being in ur hotel room n look out thru ur window become enchanted by what u see thru ur window.
Also d scenery people see thru d window of their hotel rooms is one major way that they can feel d soul n spirit of d city they're in.

1 Like

Re: Intercontinental Lagos - Tallest Hotel In West-Africa - Launched by Nobody: 12:49pm On Oct 01, 2013
PAT4HOT: It can nt b d only five star hotel in Nigeria. Is it as serene as the Le Meridian Hotel & Golf resort?

Sebi in Uyo, Akwa Ibom state ? The hotel na waya!
Re: Intercontinental Lagos - Tallest Hotel In West-Africa - Launched by Nobody: 12:52pm On Oct 01, 2013
Sagamite:

You are a fcking reetard!

Stop making outrageous claims as you most likely have never left Nigeria talkless of being all over. Even if you have been outside Nigeria, I doubt you have stayed in a hotel before.

What a moronic statement.

Frustration is worse than Hiv..
Re: Intercontinental Lagos - Tallest Hotel In West-Africa - Launched by Sike(m): 12:55pm On Oct 01, 2013
The hotel try.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Italian Man Shares A Picture He Took With His Family In Onitsha In 1977-Pictures / Cow Causes Accident In Abuja, Nigeria’s Capital City / Nigerian Man Begs To Be Deported After 5 Years In Italy/Germany (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.