Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,337 members, 7,780,883 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 02:26 AM

Muslims Unmask Masquerade In Osogbo - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Muslims Unmask Masquerade In Osogbo (6035 Views)

Allahu Written On A Rock In Osogbo (pics) / Need Direction To Venue Of NASFAT Sundays Asalatu Programs In Osogbo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Muslims Unmask Masquerade In Osogbo by RedHotChic(f): 10:16pm On Jun 26, 2008
Muslims unmask masquerade in Osogbo

By Our correspondent

Police authorities have begun investigations into a violent clash, which occurred between a popular masquerade, Gangaro, and Muslims at Oja-Oba area of Osogbo, Osun State.

advertisement

In the violence that broke out, Gangaro, was unmasked and was thoroughly beaten along with his followers by the Muslims worshippers.

Gangaro’s clothing was also taken away by the Muslims. Gangaro belongs to Balogun House in Osogbo.

It was gathered that the masquerade and its followers were passing along the Central Mosque Road, Oja-Oba, when they clashed with the Muslims, who were worshipping at the mosque.

Our correspondent gathered that the song by the followers of the masquerade was objected to by the Muslims, who felt that the song insulted Islam.

The Police Public Relations Officer, Osun State, Mr Joshua Olayemi, said on Tuesday that the police had commenced investigations into the case.

Olayemi, who called for religious harmony, said the police would not tolerate religious violence in the state.

The Ataoja of Osogbo, Oba Iyiola Matanmi, directed the Muslims worshippers to return the clothes of the masquerade.

http://odili.net/news/source/2008/jun/26/419.html
Re: Muslims Unmask Masquerade In Osogbo by noetic(m): 10:17pm On Jun 26, 2008
islam and tolerance na wah grin
Re: Muslims Unmask Masquerade In Osogbo by bilymuse: 10:30pm On Jun 26, 2008
l condemn violence in all shade and form, everybody has the right to practice any religion of his choice without fear or intimidation.

the masqurade people should carefully planned their journey nest time and avoid place of muslim worship.
Re: Muslims Unmask Masquerade In Osogbo by Nobody: 10:33pm On Jun 26, 2008
bilymuse:

l condemn violence in all shade and form, everybody has the right to practice any religion of his choice without fear or intimidation.

the masqurade people should carefully planned their journey nest time and avoid place of muslim worship.

See the way this man ridiculously contradicted himself in two sentences.

First he pretends to advocate freedom of expression and then ties himself by revealing his true nature . . . freedom of expression ends where muslims appear.
Re: Muslims Unmask Masquerade In Osogbo by RedHotChic(f): 10:35pm On Jun 26, 2008
First he pretends to advocate freedom of expression and then ties himself by revealing his true nature . . . freedom of expression ends where muslims appear.
Roflmao, so true.
Re: Muslims Unmask Masquerade In Osogbo by SkyBlue1: 10:55pm On Jun 26, 2008
LOL, i tell you Nigeria needs a functioning law enforcement agency. These things have been allowed to go on for too long without anybody being arrested, it is just plain ridiculous.
Re: Muslims Unmask Masquerade In Osogbo by Kobojunkie: 11:16pm On Jun 26, 2008
davidylan:

See the way this man ridiculously contradicted himself in two sentences.

ROFLMAO!!!
Re: Muslims Unmask Masquerade In Osogbo by noetic(m): 11:22pm On Jun 26, 2008
Sky Blue:

LOL, i tell you Nigeria needs a functioning law enforcement agency. These things have been allowed to go on for too long without anybody being arrested, it is just plain ridiculous.
seconded.

while one is not promoting pagan worship but they also the same rights like anyone.

but come to think of it, islam is practically disastrous for nigeria and if islam was an experiment it has failed.
In d name of islam can u iamgine the millions of lives that have been lost in nigeria from daily riotiing to political lobbying.

religion without morality dictated by conscience is a waste of time
Re: Muslims Unmask Masquerade In Osogbo by doyin13(m): 11:29pm On Jun 26, 2008
Our indigenous religions should be given right of way, when they come into conflict with all
all these non indigenous religions.

They give us our identity after all.
Re: Muslims Unmask Masquerade In Osogbo by RedHotChic(f): 11:37pm On Jun 26, 2008
[size=16pt]but come to think of it, islam is practically disastrous for nigeria and if islam was an experiment it has failed.[/size]
In d name of islam can u iamgine the millions of lives that have been lost in nigeria from daily riotiing to political lobbying.
Re: Muslims Unmask Masquerade In Osogbo by landis(m): 7:45am On Jun 27, 2008
doyin13:

Our indigenous religions should be given right of way, when they come into conflict with all
all these non indigenous religions.

They give us our identity after all.

Well said. I condemned this violence.

It is outrageous and I am waiting to hear what OPC, Yoruba Governors will have to say on this.

In this case, I support they kick out back to NORTH those muslims.

If we dont stop this now, they will extend this to all other YORUBA places when they 'Egungun festival' starts which is about now.

We stopped them in 1816-1824 but I guess we should have crushed them back all the way to North and we wont have these rubbish today.
Re: Muslims Unmask Masquerade In Osogbo by abdurrazaq(m): 9:24am On Jun 27, 2008
@landis, And the christians in Nigeria sent back to Jerusalem
I don't support violence in any way and my religion does not permit intimidation as well. Let the authority conduct their probe properly and let the guilty be brought to book.
Re: Muslims Unmask Masquerade In Osogbo by Mustay(m): 9:43am On Jun 27, 2008
. . .this will turn into another religious fight
Re: Muslims Unmask Masquerade In Osogbo by landis(m): 10:34am On Jun 27, 2008
abdurrazaq:

@landis, And the christians in Nigeria sent back to Jerusalem
I don't support violence in any way and my religion does not permit intimidation as well. Let the authority conduct their probe properly and let the guilty be brought to book.

what are you writing?

I said the MUSLIM are 99% from NORTH. They should be sent back to their place. I did not ask them to be sent to Saudi Arabia.

So your comment is INVALID.

They can do all sorts but if they attack 'YORUBA cultural heritage'; thats attack  on our IDENTITY AS YORUBA.

Then they will get what is coming to them!
angry cool angry
Re: Muslims Unmask Masquerade In Osogbo by abdurrazaq(m): 11:02am On Jun 27, 2008
@landis, I have dropped the issue. I pray the guilty be seriously dealt with.
Re: Muslims Unmask Masquerade In Osogbo by landis(m): 11:56am On Jun 27, 2008
. . .this will turn into another religious fight

No. It does not have to be.

@landis, I have dropped the issue. I pray the guilty be seriously dealt with.

YORUBA governors should create quickly: HERITAGE BILL.

If you cause problem to any of our 'cultural heritage': You go for 2yrs imprisonment.
Re: Muslims Unmask Masquerade In Osogbo by boyscout: 12:12pm On Jun 27, 2008
landis:

what are you writing?

I said the MUSLIM are 99% from NORTH. They should be sent back to their place. I did not ask them to be sent to Saudi Arabia.

They can do all sorts but if they attack 'YORUBA cultural heritage'; thats attack on our IDENTITY AS YORUBA.

angry cool angry

@ladis. wishing you all the best @ this quest. How best do you hope to start this war. How would you ensure you are not defeated. It beats me when people of this generation thinks this way.

Not holding forth for any if the story is anytin to go by the masquerade passed in front of the mosque and were sing songs found to be insulting by Muslim faithfull. I agree with the freedom in all ramification but where one's freedom stops the other persons begin. Then mutual respect should have been preached. if the songs were to come on air,near the mosque during prayer time is wrong and even at that the Muslims should have reported instead of taking laws into their hands.

For Peace to reign lets have mutual respect for one another regardless of faith. If you desecrate another, then when your turn comes do not shout.As what goes around comes around.
Re: Muslims Unmask Masquerade In Osogbo by landis(m): 12:25pm On Jun 27, 2008
I agree with the freedom in all ramification but where one's freedom stops the other persons begin. Then mutual respect should have been preached

DISAGREE.

YORUBA lands belongs to YORUBA culture not christianity or islam.

Based on this, they must have respect for what they meet on ground and not abuse it.

why can't Saudi allow them build church in Mecca to prove they respect others?

why can't US allow them build Mosque at back of white house to prove they respect others?

We should not take this crap from ANY religion.
angry cheesy angry
Re: Muslims Unmask Masquerade In Osogbo by noetic(m): 12:43pm On Jun 27, 2008
boyscout:

For Peace to reign lets have mutual respect for one another regardless of faith. If you desecrate another, then when your turn comes do not shout.As what goes around comes around.

u need to specially address that to d musli.m brethrens.
did the xtians ever protest the davinci code, that called to question the conventional basis of the xtian faith: NO

islam as a religion and muslims as worshippers have failed society and morality
Re: Muslims Unmask Masquerade In Osogbo by Mustay(m): 2:22pm On Jun 27, 2008
landis:

No. It does not have to be.

but what does it look like?
Re: Muslims Unmask Masquerade In Osogbo by subzeeero(m): 5:23pm On Jun 27, 2008
My dear brothers, i am afraid that our sentiments are blocking our logical reasoning. We need to find out what really transpired, what words were sang e.t.c before making judgements.
I believe verbal attacks should be retaliated by verbal attacks. So, whatever they said should have been retaliated verbally without the use of force.

However, if somebody abuses your mother in front of you, what will you do?
would you report to the police?

Have it in mind that the love for Allah(SWT) and prophet Muhammad(SAW) is more than that of the parents in a pious muslim's heart.
Re: Muslims Unmask Masquerade In Osogbo by littleb(m): 5:47pm On Jun 27, 2008
RedHotChic, noetic

Thanks for informing us(muslims) of our intolerance. I really like the information is made in public for forum like this, at least it will make us to correct our feelings and emotions ( on intimidation) if at all we are doing that. I pray Almighty God reward you according to your intention.

Allah's Apostle said, "Help your brother, whether he is an oppressor or he is an oppressed one. People asked, "O Allah's Apostle! It is all right to help him if he is oppressed, but how should we help him if he is an oppressor?" The Prophet said, "By preventing him from oppressing others."

So, above quotes is telling us to correct people whenever they are doing wrong to others.

Now:

Islam teaches tolerance on all levels: individual, groups and states.infact, It is a religious moral duty.

The Qur'an says very clearly: (To every People have We appointed rites and ceremonies which they must follow, let them not then dispute with you on the matter, but do invite (them) to your Lord: for you are assuredly on the Right Way. If they do wrangle with you, say, 'God knows best what it is you are doing.' 'God will judge between you on the Day of Judgment concerning the matters in which you differ') (Quran 21:76-69).

It was exemplified in the life of the prophet:

“God’s messenger was sitting in the mosque with some of his companions when a Bedouin urinated inside the mosque. The Prophet’s companions said: ‘What is going on?’ ‘What are you doing?’ The Prophet said to them: ‘Do not interrupt him.’ He subsequently called the man and said to him: ‘These mosques are not the place where one can throw any dirt, urine or stools. They are meant for reciting the Qur’an, glorifying God and prayer.’ He then called for a bucket of water and he poured it over the urine.”

Had it being that the prophet is not tolerant, he would have ordered to cut his head off.

Even, ordinarily, as a human being, we are more tolerant than the other if we are intimidated.

Islam emphasizes the establishment of equality and justice, both of these values cannot be established without some degree of tolerance. Islam recognized from the very beginning the principle of freedom of belief or freedom of religion. It said very clearly that it is not allowed to have any coercion in the matters of faith and belief. The Qur'an says, (There is no compulsion in religion) (Quran 2:256).

The prophet s.a.w. said,

“Do not be envious of one another, do not artificially raise prices against one another, do not turn one’s back on each other and do not undercut one another in business transaction. And O servants of Allah, be brothers. A muslim is a brother of a muslim. He does not wrong him. He does not fail him ( when he needs him). He does not lie to him. And he does not show contempt for him. Piety is here”. And he pointed to his chest three times. “ It is enough of evil for a person to hold his brother in contempt. All of a muslim is inviolable to another muslim, his blood, his wealth and his honor”.

If the muslims apply the teaching of this hadith, there will be a great change and improvement in their inter relationship and love for one another and a better life. First, the prophet s.a.w. is showing us what we shouldn’t do toward each other, we should avoid:

Envy:
Means to hate that the other person has even received the blessing in the first place.

This disease of the heart and the sin, which is known, as envy was one of the first sins ever committed. It was one of the main thing that drove Satan away from Allah s.w.t. And envy was the cause of the first murder in humanity history (Cain and Abel)

The prophet s.a.w said,

“Belief and Envy do not gather together in the heart of a slave of Allah”.

Therfore:

One should not post information because you have hatred for other belief or envy, otherwise, understand through seeking for knowledge about such faith and how it suppose to be practiced. Also, most of these news are unbalanced and lack true figure of the event. There are some of these news we've tried to investigate and at the end it we noticed it lacks detail. And by God's grace after my investigation, I would feed you back. May Almighty God forgives you and me for the wrongdoing of our hands, may He be pleases with us and make us see the lights of Islam and endows us wisdom in its application. Amin
Re: Muslims Unmask Masquerade In Osogbo by babs787(m): 8:26pm On Jun 27, 2008
Where is noetic again?
Re: Muslims Unmask Masquerade In Osogbo by olabowale(m): 8:41pm On Jun 27, 2008
@Noetic

u need to specially address that to d musli.m brethrens.
did the xtians ever protest the davinci code, that called to question the conventional basis of the xtian faith: NO

Noetic, the Davinci code, was written by a person who is traditional assumed to be a Christian. I know many websites by people of arabic/persian, and traditinally assumed muslim cultures, who write against Islam, unjustifiably. One of them is Ali Sina, who am presently debating with.

Your claim that islam and Muslim have failed society and morality, are without merits. If a person practices islam without the out of islamic culture behavior, you can never find a better asset to the society he lives and the morality he exhibits. I remember my classmates who were in Islamic school, when it comes to academics, how they demolished us, the others who were not in islamic schools.

I have a Doctor cousin, who is in DC area, presently. Her siblings said that they knew her academic prowess by her interest in Qur'anic reading. The sister who was not as intensed as her did not quite succeed like her. And the brother who did not like this program is the one who is least amongst them. Morality, tell me what is better than a law against stealling and the jurispudence to carry out its penalty? Is evil deed, eg the Scam coded 419 as intensed by Senegalese or Guinea Conakry people as it is with the Nigerians. Say the Yorubas, since I am a Yoruba man, no one can accuse me of being ethnically biased and for sure am not a self hater.

@Landis:

DISAGREE.

YORUBA lands belongs to YORUBA culture not christianity or islam.

Based on this, they must have respect for what they meet on ground and not abuse it.

why can't Saudi allow them build church in Mecca to prove they respect others?

why can't US allow them build Mosque at back of white house to prove they respect others?

We should not take this crap from ANY religion.

The only way anyone can argue that Masquerade is originally indigenous to Yoruba culture, is if it could be argued that Yorubas came with it from whereever they came from. And Makka is a sanctuary where no disbeliever must enter. So to advocate that Churches be built in it, is more radical than me coming to your home and claiming ownership of all that is in there! We should therefore realise that just because a thing was existing before another, it does not necessarily means that it should continue to hold presidence. Reason: It could be a bad thing and the newer thing is better, because it has sound morality. Thats what Islam is to disbelief. there are some cultures that should be thrown out, long time. masquerading is one. Another is the bethrowal of late father's very young wife by a son older than her. this is a bad tradition for a son to sleep with his father's wife. A woman holding the same position as his mother with his father.

what are you writing?

They can do all sorts but if they attack 'YORUBA cultural heritage'; thats attack  on our IDENTITY AS YORUBA.

I have news for you. Islam is not Northern Nigerian religion. It is not even Arabian religion. I am a Yoruba man. I have a rich history of Islam in my blood. Many family generations, in Islam. Have you heard of Ijebu Ode, Abeokuta and other Yoruba enclaves. All these places are Islamic. So your statement above is without merit. Evil things should not be considered as Yoruba culture, hence should not be protected by any law.

However, I disagree with the rash and emotional outburst of the "Muslims." I think they should have sent an emissary to the other side to address their concerns.

Initially I was just going to my main man, Davidylan and then, I saw all the people claiming to be on the side of the masquerade. Is any of you from the family where they carry masquerade? I also want you the nonmuslims to tell us, if you are Christians. In truth, does Christianity support masquerading? Are they not in conflicts?

Masquerade, as a word or idea means pretension. No wonder the masquerader is always unidentifiable. Truth in worship of One God should be able to be victorious over fallacy, like Masquerades.
Re: Muslims Unmask Masquerade In Osogbo by asamuel: 8:46pm On Jun 27, 2008
The issue is you can't force anyone to leave whatever they believe to be their religious practice. I am a Christian and I don't believe in unmasquerading even when I do not agree with the practice. If masquerades enter mosque to remove all the caps of Imams who are praying there, don't you think all Northern states would have been on fire. Islam is still the thorn in the flesh of the entire world.
Re: Muslims Unmask Masquerade In Osogbo by olabowale(m): 8:57pm On Jun 27, 2008
@asamuel: Wearing Cap is not a requirement in Islamic prayer, salah. However, just because the people, meaning the muslims get upset when caps are removed, does not make it right nor wrong. But there is something called decency. That should always be exhibited, in all cases. Even when you are angry, your anger should be in moderation. You should be of decent character.

And please, enough of your attaching islam to the northern nigeria alone. It shows that you disregard all of us who are Yorubas, and others from the south and muslims. Your disregarding us shows that you lack the sensitivity that takes to actually understand what could make a people unhappy. The Egbas have a proverb, that goes something like this; Ewo ni ti arabadan niwaju ile Shodeke? There are places and times that befit somethings. We shoul always search for the best pace and time for all our doings.

And you may dislike islam. It is just too bad. Islam is here to stay and we are not into popularity contest.
Re: Muslims Unmask Masquerade In Osogbo by littleb(m): 9:10pm On Jun 27, 2008
@asamuel,

The issue is you can't force anyone to leave whatever they believe to be their religious practice

Islam disagree forcing anybody to belief. It's a religion of knowledgible people and not of morons. Its principal rule is that of justice to maintain peace and order and its approach is that of bieng defensive, hence you think:

Islam is still the thorn in the flesh of the entire world
Re: Muslims Unmask Masquerade In Osogbo by asamuel: 9:11pm On Jun 27, 2008
How will this act of unmasquerading ever bring the peace that islam professes?
Re: Muslims Unmask Masquerade In Osogbo by Nobody: 9:19pm On Jun 27, 2008
subzeeero:

My dear brothers, i am afraid that our sentiments are blocking our logical reasoning.

Perfect way to describe your post.

subzeeero:

We need to find out what really transpired, what words were sang e.t.c before making judgements.

No matter what words were sang . . . violence never solves a problem.

subzeeero:

I believe verbal attacks should be retaliated by verbal attacks. So, whatever they said should have been retaliated verbally without the use of force.

which means you believe physical attacks should be retaliated with physical attacks?

subzeeero:

However, if somebody abuses your mother in front of you, what will you do?
would you report to the police?

Take a machete and remove his head. This ridiculous attempt to justify murder and violence through the backdoor is sickening.

subzeeero:

Have it in mind that the love for Allah(SWT) and prophet Muhammad(SAW) is more than that of the parents in a pious muslim's heart.

Which means anytime we insult allah's mother we should expect to be killed? Bravo!
Re: Muslims Unmask Masquerade In Osogbo by asamuel: 9:34pm On Jun 27, 2008
please tell them oo!
Re: Muslims Unmask Masquerade In Osogbo by Lady2(f): 9:37pm On Jun 27, 2008
did the xtians ever protest the davinci code, that called to question the conventional basis of the xtian faith

Yes they did!!! Ofcourse it was peaceful ad no one got beat down, not to my knowledge anyway.

So have so called Christians.

Please remove the rock in your eye before you can remove the one in your brother's eye.
Re: Muslims Unmask Masquerade In Osogbo by littleb(m): 9:44pm On Jun 27, 2008
How will this act of unmasquerading ever bring the peace that islam professes?

I wish you check my earlier post.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

2 Signs To Be Careful Of When It Comes To Our Iman / Which Hadith Do You Believe Besides The Quran? (45:6) / Freemason

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.