Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,975 members, 7,806,840 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 03:48 AM

NFF To Set Up A Scouting Unit For Foreign Born Players - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / NFF To Set Up A Scouting Unit For Foreign Born Players (5188 Views)

Court Sacks Amaju Pinnick As NFF President / NFF Goes For Foreign Coaches / NFF To Pay Keshi's Outstanding Salary (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

NFF To Set Up A Scouting Unit For Foreign Born Players by Ikenna94: 10:11am On Sep 30, 2013
Plans are afoot to set-up a unit within the NFF to scout and recruit foreign-born Nigerian football talent for the Super Eagles, an NFF official has told KickOffNigeria.com.

Join us on Facebook and Twitter for more interaction.

While blessed with an abundance of home-grown talent, the country has lost a good number of players born to Nigerian parents to other countries.

Get the latest news straight to your phone – for FREE! Follow KickOffNigeria on WeChat! Click here!

The likes of Gabriel Agbonlahor, David Alaba, Sidney Sam, Oguchi Onyewu, Maurice Edu and Angelo Ogbonna are a few high-profile players who were eligible for the Super Eagles, but are now representing other countries.

Emmanuel Ikpeme, head of the NFF's Technical Department, says that is about to change.

"We are aware that there a lot of Nigerians who were born in other countries who are eligible to play for Nigeria, but at the moment, we don't have any unit dedicated to scouting them," he admitted to KickOffNigeria.com.

"However, we have put a proposal together for the executive committee to set up such a unit.

"It will be composed of not more than two persons, and their job will be to search, identify and try to recruit these players abroad who genuinely want to represent Nigeria.

"They will liaise with Nigerians abroad, and contact these players. Those who want to play for Nigeria will be welcomed. For those who chose not to, we will respect their decision."

http://www.kickoff.com/news/37654/nff-to-scout-and-recruit-foreign-born-nigerian-football-talent-for-nigerias-super-eagles
Re: NFF To Set Up A Scouting Unit For Foreign Born Players by cherieb2(f): 11:56am On Sep 30, 2013
Nice move
Re: NFF To Set Up A Scouting Unit For Foreign Born Players by OkikiOluwa1(m): 11:58am On Sep 30, 2013
Good move
Re: NFF To Set Up A Scouting Unit For Foreign Born Players by orjifavour(f): 11:58am On Sep 30, 2013
the home born footballers we are not able to manage them, how then do they think the foreign ones will do better,
Re: NFF To Set Up A Scouting Unit For Foreign Born Players by Sageez(m): 11:59am On Sep 30, 2013
Super eagles is sick, she need a therapy/pill to get her back on her feet
Re: NFF To Set Up A Scouting Unit For Foreign Born Players by princexo(m): 12:00pm On Sep 30, 2013
Good Thinking.
Re: NFF To Set Up A Scouting Unit For Foreign Born Players by smoothicon(m): 12:03pm On Sep 30, 2013
anoda tactics and measure of packing our money

3 Likes

Re: NFF To Set Up A Scouting Unit For Foreign Born Players by plainmirror(m): 12:03pm On Sep 30, 2013
Moving from a foreign land to play football in Nigeria is lyk fetching firewood in a desert tongue
Re: NFF To Set Up A Scouting Unit For Foreign Born Players by BigBen10: 12:03pm On Sep 30, 2013
Its a pity that our recent success in football is partly due to nigerians who have been trained abroad. When we start to train our own athletes at home to become top quality then we would have made progress.
Re: NFF To Set Up A Scouting Unit For Foreign Born Players by Jakeattah(m): 12:04pm On Sep 30, 2013
They have not finish scouting the excess talent wasting in the country they want to go abroad... Anoda way to chop our money.

2 Likes

Re: NFF To Set Up A Scouting Unit For Foreign Born Players by isleman(m): 12:06pm On Sep 30, 2013
...and what happens to grooming the ones born here or do those born outside nigeria play a different football? that is a waste of resources.

I've seen many Nigeria footballers playing for other countries not worthy of Super Eagles call up and we can see many of Home base players doing well under keshi.
Re: NFF To Set Up A Scouting Unit For Foreign Born Players by Nobody: 12:06pm On Sep 30, 2013
Another avenue to siphon funds, lets wait and see how many of them are going to be approached
Re: NFF To Set Up A Scouting Unit For Foreign Born Players by Iceboi(m): 12:06pm On Sep 30, 2013
Nice one NFF.For once u guys are making sense
Re: NFF To Set Up A Scouting Unit For Foreign Born Players by smoothicon(m): 12:07pm On Sep 30, 2013
plainmirror: Moving from a foreign land to play football in Nigeria is lyk fetching firewood in a desert tongue
Bros....not when the money is talking

1 Like

Re: NFF To Set Up A Scouting Unit For Foreign Born Players by isleman(m): 12:10pm On Sep 30, 2013
BigBen10: Its a pity that our recent success in football is partly due to nigerians who have been trained abroad. When we start to train our own athletes at home to become top quality then we would have made progress.

do you mean the other way round? because the last time i checked, the team the won the nations cup for Nigeria was not devoid of a good number of home based players. Have you forgotten the likes of Mba so soon? or you don't know the likes of Obabona who displaced captain Yobo is home based and many more like that?
Re: NFF To Set Up A Scouting Unit For Foreign Born Players by Rejoice5000(f): 12:10pm On Sep 30, 2013
ok ooooo we hear
Re: NFF To Set Up A Scouting Unit For Foreign Born Players by sukanero(m): 12:11pm On Sep 30, 2013
how does it affect ASUU STRIKE....end time things.
Re: NFF To Set Up A Scouting Unit For Foreign Born Players by collynzo2(m): 12:11pm On Sep 30, 2013
This is an absloutely useless idea, why not invest your time and effort in developing the millions of aspiring young footballers here in Nigeria. They get to improve our national team and also better their lives and that of the their family.
Re: NFF To Set Up A Scouting Unit For Foreign Born Players by isleman(m): 12:14pm On Sep 30, 2013
the ones we have been able to call back (Shola Ameobi, Anichebe), how would we rate them? do they deserve super eagles first team? abeg, concentrate on potentials here. we have them plenty here.

2 Likes

Re: NFF To Set Up A Scouting Unit For Foreign Born Players by Okijajuju1(m): 12:15pm On Sep 30, 2013
All this one na to waste scare resources..

A foreign born Nigerian Player came home for trials with his Mother and the Boy was schemed out due to corruption. And we know that he was good because immediately we rejected him, the United States Youth Team signed him up..

So FVCK NFF.. angry
Re: NFF To Set Up A Scouting Unit For Foreign Born Players by plainmirror(m): 12:16pm On Sep 30, 2013
smoothicon: Bros....not when the money is talking
NPFL is sub-standard in terms of local organisation not to talk of negotiating foreign players.
Re: NFF To Set Up A Scouting Unit For Foreign Born Players by Andyblaze: 12:16pm On Sep 30, 2013
eliminate the 'man know man' philosophy first. No be 4 naija usa based under 17 player got turned down becos him no pay some dues?
Re: NFF To Set Up A Scouting Unit For Foreign Born Players by collynzo2(m): 12:18pm On Sep 30, 2013
Okija_juju: All this one na to waste scare resources..

A foreign born Nigerian Player came home for trials with his Mother and the Boy was schemed out due to corruption. And we know that he was good because immediately we rejected him, the United States Youth Team signed him up..

So FVCK NFF.. angry
He was schemed out due to his mother's corruption because they had a selected team and were in closed camping already, she was trying to influence her son's selection. If it was a Nigerian based parent that did the same, will you be saying the same thing? You'll be the first to shout favoritism, nepotism and those other big words.

1 Like

Re: NFF To Set Up A Scouting Unit For Foreign Born Players by Ikenna94: 12:25pm On Sep 30, 2013
Okija_juju: All this one na to waste scare resources..

So FVCK NFF.. angry
where is d USA wen it comes to youth football.d boys moda did nt say anyting abt bribe.so leave coruption alone.
Re: NFF To Set Up A Scouting Unit For Foreign Born Players by brosdoncome(m): 12:26pm On Sep 30, 2013
Nigeria likes anything foreign enh!!!!! Even those in Burundi, Gabon, Benin rep, Congo and Ouagadougou should not be left out or else!!!!
Re: NFF To Set Up A Scouting Unit For Foreign Born Players by Okijajuju1(m): 12:29pm On Sep 30, 2013
collynzo2: He was schemed out due to his mother's corruption because they had a selected team and were in closed camping already, she was trying to influence her son's selection. If it was a Nigerian based parent that did the same, will you be saying the same thing? You'll be the first to shout favoritism, nepotism and those other big words.

[b]Just a reminder of that case;

Bash92:
Sixteen-year old Nigerian rising star, Maduabuchi Obinwa, may be lacing boots for the United States’ U-17 side after being frustrated out of the Golden Eaglets. The parents of the immensely talented footballer, Mr and Mrs Nnanna Obinwa, had wanted their son born in the US on 15th January, 1997, to play for Nigeria and brought him home ostensibly for that purpose.

But Maduabuchi who hit Golden Eaglets’ camp on arrival in Nigeria was told by NFF medics that he failed MRI test. Not convinced, Mrs Stella Obinwa is contesting the result, insisting that her son is not over aged, arguing that it (the result) was only a poly to stop him from lacing boots for the country.

A visibly bitter Mrs Obinwa, while narrating what they went through in the Golden Eaglets’ camp said it was a shame that her son was being denied the opportunity to serve his fatherland. In her words: “My son, Maduabuchi, is a talented footballer and has been doing well in the United States. The US coaches wanted him in their youth team, but we felt he should play for Nigeria.

“We got home only to face all manner of stumbling blocks. The first hurdle was when the NFF said we should pay for his MRI test at the National hospital in Abuja which we did. We paid 100,000 naira to run the test (I have the receipt) but the big surprise was when I was told that my son is over aged going by the MRI result. I have challenged that because I know my son was born 16 years ago in the States. The amazing thing is that the NFF has refused to release the MRI scan result to me. Since I paid for it, it’s my property and I need to see the outcome of the test,” Mrs Obinwa stated.

Beyond the MRI test, she added that she was made to pick the feeding and hotel bills of his son while in camp in Calabar. “The NFF said I should pick the bills of our flight to camp where the Eaglets are camped in Calabar. I also paid for my son’s feeding and accommodation even while the governor of Cross River state was funding the camping exercise there. My boy has been frustrated out of camp and returned to the States where the coaches have since welcomed him into the US U-18 team,” Mrs Obinwa disclosed.

Soccer Star’s check revealed that Maduabuchi, a midfielder, now laces boots for Chicago Magic, a youth club affiliated to PSG soccer academy. He is billed to hit Europe next month to undergo trials with Real Madrid’s youth team.

Maduabuchi is also on the list of 60 top players called up by a U.S. soccer’s scouting network from major cities across the country. The players invited are those born in 1996 and 1997. U.S. U-18 Men’s National Team head Javier Perez is expected to call in some of the top performers from the combine for the next cycle with that age group, which kicks off its next camping in Southern California later this month.

“Out there in the US, everything is all-expenses paid by the government, but here I paid for virtually everything from transportation to MRI test down to his feeding and accommodation and at the end of the day our desire to see him play for Nigeria has not worked out,” Mrs Obinwa lamented.

www.soccerstarng.mobi/story_display_page.php?cover_story_id=856

What were you trying to say agin please?![/b]
Re: NFF To Set Up A Scouting Unit For Foreign Born Players by collynzo2(m): 12:34pm On Sep 30, 2013
Okija_juju:

Just a reminder of that case;

[i][/i]

What were you trying to say agin please?!
The same thing I said before, the selected players were already in camp, being sponsored by the NFF and Akwa Ibom state govt before that Woman tried to influence her son's inclusion. Did you expect them to pay for the extra expenses?

1 Like

Re: NFF To Set Up A Scouting Unit For Foreign Born Players by matzoro(m): 12:35pm On Sep 30, 2013
must everytin in 9ja b imported?? We neva train our youngsters finish naaaa

1 Like

Re: NFF To Set Up A Scouting Unit For Foreign Born Players by Gpattern(m): 12:37pm On Sep 30, 2013
This is total lost priority... Let them think how to develop our league and scout for the plays at home, then those guys that are outside that we notice that are good we then pursue. We should stop this pursue of average nigeria play abroad all in the name that they where given birth to outside nigeria. Those that the aticles mention how many are stil playing for their adopted country. Make we stop to dey waste money abeg. Thanks.

1 Like

Re: NFF To Set Up A Scouting Unit For Foreign Born Players by collynzo2(m): 12:42pm On Sep 30, 2013
matzoro: must everytin in 9ja b imported?? We neva train our youngsters finish naaaa
I wonder, dem too like ''food is ready''.

1 Like

Re: NFF To Set Up A Scouting Unit For Foreign Born Players by nickxtra(m): 12:47pm On Sep 30, 2013
Another move to drain the always and perrenial scarcity of funds for which NFF has become known for. Has the NFF finished scouting for the abundant human talents scatered over Nigeria, especially in Edo State? NFF should better gets its acts together.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Little Drops Of 2+ Odds Makes A Big Winning. / National Senior Team Coaches / Daily Football Predictions - 90% Guaranteed Winnings From An Insider

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.