Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,374 members, 7,800,747 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 05:31 AM

Bosom Cancer Awareness Month :: How To Do A Bosom-Self Exam - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Bosom Cancer Awareness Month :: How To Do A Bosom-Self Exam (15778 Views)

Chidinma And Oge Okoye At A Cancer Awareness Program In Lagos (Photos) / Mouth Odour Awareness And Prevention / N.16m ‘Smart Bra’ Detects bosom Cancer (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Bosom Cancer Awareness Month :: How To Do A Bosom-Self Exam by Yvete(f): 3:57am On Oct 01, 2013
Better safe than sorry. It only takes 15 minutes.

Adult women of all ages are encouraged to perform breast self-exams at least once a month; at the end of your monthly menstrual cycle when your breasts are not as tender. Breast cancer can occur at any age, though it is most common in women older than 50. Many breast problems are first discovered by women themselves, often by accident. Breast lumps can be noncancerous (benign) or cancerous (malignant).

J.H Medical center states, “Forty percent of diagnosed breast cancers are detected by women who feel a lump, so establishing a regular breast self-exam is very important.” While mammograms can help you to detect cancer before you can feel a lump, breast self-exams help you to be familiar with how your breasts look and feel so you can alert your healthcare professional if there are any changes.

How should a breast self-exam be performed?

1) In the Shower
Using the pads of your fingers, move around your entire breast in a circular pattern moving from the outside to the center, checking the entire breast and armpit area. Check both breasts each month feeling for any lump, thickening, or hardened knot. Notice any changes and get lumps evaluated by your healthcare provider.

2) In Front of a Mirror
Visually inspect your breasts with your arms at your sides. Next, raise your arms high overhead.

Look for any changes in the contour, any swelling, or dimpling of the skin, or changes in the nipples. Next, rest your palms on your hips and press firmly to flex your chest muscles. Left and right breasts will not exactly match—few women's breasts do, so look for any dimpling, puckering, or changes, particularly on one side.

3) Lying Down
When lying down, the breast tissue spreads out evenly along the chest wall. Place a pillow under your right shoulder and your right arm behind your head. Using your left hand, move the pads of your fingers around your right breast gently in small circular motions covering the entire breast area and armpit.

Use light, medium, and firm pressure. Squeeze the nipple; check for discharge and lumps. Repeat these steps for your left breast.

If you find a lump, schedule an appointment with your doctor, but don't panic — 8 out of 10 lumps are not cancerous. Wear P!NK, SHOP P!NK ... #Pinktober

Step by step instructional video;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXdgfUXPmr0

3 Likes

Re: Bosom Cancer Awareness Month :: How To Do A Bosom-Self Exam by Nobody: 6:58am On Oct 01, 2013
cool Can I be of help for any lady who wanna try those techniques wink

BTW! Nice write-up you've got there.. *thumb up*

Mastur*bating my position, 1st time in NL history!! Yay! I'm firsta comment.. Daalu, Dankies. Yvete

1 Like

Re: Bosom Cancer Awareness Month :: How To Do A Bosom-Self Exam by Yvete(f): 3:26pm On Oct 01, 2013
Amefrica: cool Can I be of help for any lady who wanna try those techniques wink

cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy I'm pretty sure you have no boo.ooobs. Is your interview still soon? Best wishes and keep us in the loop ... you deserve a party!
Re: Bosom Cancer Awareness Month :: How To Do A Bosom-Self Exam by olarwarlay(m): 3:48pm On Oct 01, 2013
** Covers face and runs far away from thread ** cheesy cheesy

3 Likes

Re: Bosom Cancer Awareness Month :: How To Do A Bosom-Self Exam by Tholudee(f): 4:14pm On Oct 01, 2013
cool Thanks
Re: Bosom Cancer Awareness Month :: How To Do A Bosom-Self Exam by Nobody: 4:14pm On Oct 01, 2013
Bosom exam??...LMAO @Yvete You to ocorrupt oo.Na only bossom you fit think about!..Kai!
Re: Bosom Cancer Awareness Month :: How To Do A Bosom-Self Exam by djeezy(m): 4:15pm On Oct 01, 2013
Even though I'm not a woman, no knowledge is a waste.
Re: Bosom Cancer Awareness Month :: How To Do A Bosom-Self Exam by Nobody: 4:15pm On Oct 01, 2013
Ok
Re: Bosom Cancer Awareness Month :: How To Do A Bosom-Self Exam by Okontami: 4:16pm On Oct 01, 2013
tongue grin grin shocked shocked I can assist you guys to check please. How I will do it is simple. Just to place my mouth on the ni*pple and do a cross examination grin grin
Re: Bosom Cancer Awareness Month :: How To Do A Bosom-Self Exam by Nobody: 4:17pm On Oct 01, 2013
I can help any lady who needs to develop a good technique for examining her tittties.

Apply Within grin
Re: Bosom Cancer Awareness Month :: How To Do A Bosom-Self Exam by Keffebabe(f): 4:17pm On Oct 01, 2013
Uhmmmm,God will save us frm bad disease

1 Like

Re: Bosom Cancer Awareness Month :: How To Do A Bosom-Self Exam by Pistismie(f): 4:19pm On Oct 01, 2013
Bossom cancer again? Na wa o. Later,den go find hair cancer. Oluwa sha maa so wa lowo aisan ti o gbo oogun.
Re: Bosom Cancer Awareness Month :: How To Do A Bosom-Self Exam by Nobody: 4:21pm On Oct 01, 2013
Yvete:

cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy I'm pretty sure you have no boo.ooobs. Is your interview still soon? Best wishes and keep us in the loop ... you deserve a party!

grin grin.. Yes ma'am.. It's on thursday cool I will keep you guys posted.. #OneLove wink
Re: Bosom Cancer Awareness Month :: How To Do A Bosom-Self Exam by Nobody: 4:21pm On Oct 01, 2013
What's with all this bossom! Bossom!! It's BR£A$T!!! That's more common. Enough of this civility angry

8 Likes

Re: Bosom Cancer Awareness Month :: How To Do A Bosom-Self Exam by Iko5000: 4:21pm On Oct 01, 2013
why do we call it Bosom when the whole world calls it BREAST .Breast cancer. there is nothing wrong with the word
Re: Bosom Cancer Awareness Month :: How To Do A Bosom-Self Exam by BANKS4U2NV: 4:22pm On Oct 01, 2013
Nice one.women are the pride of å nation and should be protected.please don't ignore,health ȋ̊§ wealth.Thank You. kiss kiss

1 Like

Re: Bosom Cancer Awareness Month :: How To Do A Bosom-Self Exam by strawgirl(f): 4:22pm On Oct 01, 2013
Nice tips. Meanwhile wish me happy birthday Nairalanders. Pls pls. TX.

2 Likes

Re: Bosom Cancer Awareness Month :: How To Do A Bosom-Self Exam by Iko5000: 4:23pm On Oct 01, 2013
So Nairaland censors Bre$t seriously you guys are very childish

3 Likes

Re: Bosom Cancer Awareness Month :: How To Do A Bosom-Self Exam by KA24DETT(m): 4:23pm On Oct 01, 2013
According to the US preventive task force.
It is not advisable to do a brea$t self examination . There is no morality advantage.
Women should go for mammography every 2-3 yrs starting at age 50.
A lump on a woman can mean anything , it can be a cyst , fibroadeonma. Not every lump is a cancer.
Re: Bosom Cancer Awareness Month :: How To Do A Bosom-Self Exam by Iko5000: 4:24pm On Oct 01, 2013
why do we call it Bosom when the whole world calls Bre$T it Bre$t cancer. there is nothing wrong with the word
Re: Bosom Cancer Awareness Month :: How To Do A Bosom-Self Exam by DrMuzungu(m): 4:25pm On Oct 01, 2013
Amefrica: cool Can I be of help for any lady who wanna try those techniques wink*

I am sure some of the ladies would not mind helping you with your rectal exam too.
Re: Bosom Cancer Awareness Month :: How To Do A Bosom-Self Exam by Yvete(f): 4:27pm On Oct 01, 2013
It's Nairaland's word censor ... grab the message ... forget diction. I typed bre..ast and it changed to bosom.

Ladies, please check yourself. It's not a joke.
Re: Bosom Cancer Awareness Month :: How To Do A Bosom-Self Exam by mactoni91(m): 4:28pm On Oct 01, 2013
which one is BOSSOM CANCER again?
Its BREAS`T cancer
Re: Bosom Cancer Awareness Month :: How To Do A Bosom-Self Exam by olahero(m): 4:29pm On Oct 01, 2013
nice tips for LADIES, can men of help? wink
Re: Bosom Cancer Awareness Month :: How To Do A Bosom-Self Exam by emmabest2000(m): 4:30pm On Oct 01, 2013
ok
Re: Bosom Cancer Awareness Month :: How To Do A Bosom-Self Exam by tolurx(m): 4:30pm On Oct 01, 2013
bosom cancer? seriously, what's wrong with br€@st cancer?
Re: Bosom Cancer Awareness Month :: How To Do A Bosom-Self Exam by olarwarlay(m): 4:31pm On Oct 01, 2013
I see so many corrupt minds on this thread.... Amefrica, you are number 1 on the list cheesy cheesy cheesy

Nice one from my Sister, you know you got my 1,000,000 likes all the time.

Yayyyyyyyyy..... FP baby! cool cool
Re: Bosom Cancer Awareness Month :: How To Do A Bosom-Self Exam by trent9002(m): 4:34pm On Oct 01, 2013
Ada Nri1: What's with all this bossom! Bossom!! It's BR£A$T!!! That's more common. Enough of this civility angry
As in, the censorship in NL is extreme. This is not North Korea. They'll pro'lly censor this post too
Re: Bosom Cancer Awareness Month :: How To Do A Bosom-Self Exam by israel007: 4:36pm On Oct 01, 2013
How many people know u are referring to brst cancer by using bosom cancer. Even in church and holy places, they refer to is as brst cancer. PLEASE!
Re: Bosom Cancer Awareness Month :: How To Do A Bosom-Self Exam by Nobody: 4:38pm On Oct 01, 2013
Yvete: It's Nairaland's word censor ... grab the message ... forget diction. I typed bre..ast and it changed to bosom.

Ladies, please check yourself. Bre.ast cancer, chemotherapy and the frustration that comes along is not a joke.

grin grin That's the handiwork of Mr. Seun, most times NL makes my words harmless which is frustrating.. cool but me know say ur talking abt bre**ast.
Re: Bosom Cancer Awareness Month :: How To Do A Bosom-Self Exam by Nobody: 4:39pm On Oct 01, 2013
The way some men press and suck women breas'ts as if their lives depend on it is enough to give the women breas'ts cancer.
Re: Bosom Cancer Awareness Month :: How To Do A Bosom-Self Exam by Nobody: 4:40pm On Oct 01, 2013
emma_best2000: ok

Yepa! See this one! Smh! And you had to quote all the post undecided

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

I Need A Bigger Butt. / 5 Safety Tips That Could Save Your Life / COVID-19 Update For October 13 2020 In Nigeria - (5,996 Tested)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.