Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,733 members, 7,802,216 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 11:10 AM

What Have You Read Today ? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / What Have You Read Today ? (3302 Views)

How Do You Read To Understand? / Important Ways To Simplify How You Read / Nairaland Students.............what Did You Read Today? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Have You Read Today ? by lomaxx: 8:20am On Oct 01, 2013
The Topic says it all.
Re: What Have You Read Today ? by lomaxx: 8:23am On Oct 01, 2013
Management of congestive heart failure.
Re: What Have You Read Today ? by DrGboy(m): 11:04am On Oct 01, 2013
Capacitance and dielectrics
Re: What Have You Read Today ? by aliandro(m): 11:11am On Oct 01, 2013
What to expect @ medical school
Re: What Have You Read Today ? by Saeed348(m): 11:14am On Oct 01, 2013
The Placenta (Human Embryology) by Inderbir Singh
Re: What Have You Read Today ? by mesther96(f): 11:47am On Oct 01, 2013
stl reading,bio,phys n chem angry
Re: What Have You Read Today ? by AmbFitsaint(m): 12:37pm On Oct 01, 2013
Independence day presidential speech.

Lol.
The best time one can figure out a serious student with unbridled taste for books is when he/she is no longer in a tight reading atmosphere as we have it in skul.
I seldom sleep 4 hrs in skul even without forthcoming exam or test coz I am always glued to ma buks most of d time dat I often doze off in my fellowship as a result of depriving myself nite rest in skul. It's pathetic dat reverse iz d case now. It's apparent dat i am not as serious as i used to be. I now sleep 12 hrs a day most ov d time. Hmmnn, it's time i made some changes now.

1 Like

Re: What Have You Read Today ? by Tobbie9(m): 1:20pm On Oct 01, 2013
Cardiovascular Physiology, lyk 1 page a day

P.S:ASUU abeg call off this strike I'm becoming lazier by d day
Re: What Have You Read Today ? by lomaxx: 4:50pm On Oct 01, 2013
Drug treatment of Status Asthmaticus
Re: What Have You Read Today ? by lomaxx: 4:51pm On Oct 01, 2013
Tobbie9: Cardiovascular Physiology, lyk 1 page a day

P.S:ASUU abeg call off this strike I'm becoming lazier by d day

How do you do it? Number of pages or Target outline to be achieved?
Re: What Have You Read Today ? by Tobbie9(m): 6:38pm On Oct 01, 2013
lomaxx:

How do you do it? Number of pages or Target outline to be achieved?
number of pages
Re: What Have You Read Today ? by aliandro(m): 8:39pm On Oct 01, 2013
Resistors and resistance,kirchoff's laws
Re: What Have You Read Today ? by Maureenurch(f): 9:26pm On Oct 01, 2013
Nairaland news, bible and aw to survive a bullet wound before help comes
Re: What Have You Read Today ? by obami007(m): 10:42pm On Oct 01, 2013
Our daily manna devotion guide
Re: What Have You Read Today ? by meipsum1: 11:25pm On Oct 01, 2013
lomaxx:

I was in this shoe once. Reading ahead of pre-clinicals. Now let me pause here to give an observation.

Excelling in Pre-Medical year is much about how well you observe tradition in your school and also about how much you work hard. What do I mean by tradition?

Example, If tradition has it that notes are the rate limiting step for zoology, and you kill yourself with hardwork over some zoology textbook, you are so on your own. If your seniors say note is what is needed, you have no business going outside your notes.

Pre-Meds (especially those just admitted) in your various med schools, do well to have someone in the class just above you - to feed you with updated ways of passing each course well and avoiding pitfalls.

Pre-Clinicals is much about how well you are smart to revolve your time about the volumes of Gross Anatomy, the ambiguity of Embryology , the vagueness of Histology and still have a headway in the intense volumes of mechanisms and processes in Physiology coupled with the dense pathways of biochemistry.

You have to be smart with your time. How much time you invest in a course will determine how smoothly it would go for you.

Some people end up doing so well in Anatomy or Biochemistry (because they are perceived as difficult) while their Physiology is very leaky. [b] You must strike a balance. Zeal may not help too much here. You need to be smart.

For those reading ahead of Pre-Clinicals, I recommend that you avoid Keith Moore (for now). Why? It's too voluminous and you will only end up reading too much stuff. Mostly irrelevant stuff. For your Gross, I endorse Snell's Clinical Anatomy. For histology, I endorse BRS Histology. For Embryology, I endorse BRS Embryology. You can get the BRS Books off the net.

I used Snell's, BRS Histo and BRS Embryo. I never had below a 69% in Anatomy and my Physiology and Biochemistry was perfect. I never even read so zealously.

I had people that used Keith Moore and all other popular books but came close with so much zealous work. What if I was zealous? Food for thought.

For Physiology, I endorse either of Guyton & Hall or Ganong or Fox Physiology. BRS Physiology is good. I used Guyton and BRS Physiology and stood a chance at a distinction viva. Medical school politics stood in my way. It's a long story.

For Biochemistry, I endorse Vazudevan Biochemistry. There's Harpers Illustrated Biochemistry and Lehninger Principles of Biochemistry for lovers of hyper-stuff. My combo was Vazudevan and Kaplan Biochemistry. I used Kaplan more.

Your note would be the most important thing you will need. Make sure you copy well.

Managing information in med school is very important. There are too much information you don't need circulating in standard texts. You must be wise in knowing what you need. This is where a syllabus comes in. I have a standard and comprehensive MBBS Syllabus for Pre-Clinical year gotten from a Med School somewhere in Europe. It's a standard syllabus. It's in .pdf. There's an email address in my profile. If you need it, send me a mail.

Good luck to all pre-meds and pre-clinical folks. Even to aspirants. Bless!!!
@Dr lomaxx, thank you sir. Please I need this standard and comprehensive MBBS Syllabus you were talking about but there is no e-mail address on your profile as you claimed. PLEASE HOW CAN I GET IT?

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Have You Read Today ? by lomaxx: 11:38pm On Oct 01, 2013
meipsum1: @Dr lomaxx, thank you sir. Please I need this standard and comprehensive MBBS Syllabus for Pre-Clinical year you were talking about but there is no e-mail address on your profile as you claimed. PLEASE HOW CAN I GET IT? My e-mail is meipsum1@gmail.com

I've sent it
Re: What Have You Read Today ? by oginga: 12:46am On Oct 02, 2013
Making perfect landings in light airplanes.
Re: What Have You Read Today ? by ebsuguy(m): 6:18am On Oct 02, 2013
[quote author=lomaxx]

I've sent it[/quote
hi dear....pls can I get a copy?
chuks4ndu@gmail.com
Re: What Have You Read Today ? by Danhumprey: 6:52am On Oct 02, 2013
m.esther96:
stl reading,bio,phys n chem angry
grin cheesy grin
Re: What Have You Read Today ? by Danhumprey: 6:55am On Oct 02, 2013
Maureenurch: Nairaland news, bible and aw to survive a bullet wound before help comes
Lwkmd........ grin

Be serious! angry
Re: What Have You Read Today ? by Excelboi(m): 8:49am On Oct 02, 2013
Law of contract
Re: What Have You Read Today ? by ayopo10(m): 11:10am On Oct 02, 2013
aliandro: Resistors and resistance,kirchoff's laws
on d run... u go done finish d whole syllabus like 5 time over
Re: What Have You Read Today ? by DrGboy(m): 11:23am On Oct 02, 2013
ayopo10: on d run... u go done finish d whole syllabus like 5 time over

d guy na real JACKie chan. he dey read anything .......... maybe he has even started reading for pre-med.
Re: What Have You Read Today ? by Nobody: 9:35am On Oct 03, 2013
Advance calculus and fermat's last theorem.(proof)
Re: What Have You Read Today ? by aliandro(m): 9:54am On Oct 03, 2013
@dr gboy and ayopo,haba......phs 102 dey give me tough tym here oooo,4 different types of textbook 2 handle on a single topic.pre med ko,pre clinical ni,I would love 2 start that but diz physical aspect dey give me wahala
Re: What Have You Read Today ? by lomaxx: 11:32am On Oct 03, 2013
•Phimosis.
•Paraphimosis.
•Circumcision : Indications, Contraindications, techniques.
•Priapism.
Re: What Have You Read Today ? by meipsum1: 2:47pm On Oct 03, 2013
lomaxx:

I've sent it
Thank you sir. I'm really grateful.
Re: What Have You Read Today ? by Victosin09(f): 7:25pm On Oct 03, 2013
Most recent news on nairaland and Maxwell's How to be a person of influence. When last did i read my sch buk sef?
Re: What Have You Read Today ? by lomaxx: 3:14am On Oct 04, 2013
Autoimmunity
Re: What Have You Read Today ? by lomaxx: 7:15am On Oct 06, 2013

• Physiology of Erect.ion angry
• Erec.tile dysfunction : Causes, Investigation and Management cool
Re: What Have You Read Today ? by nosa2cool: 9:58am On Oct 06, 2013
lomaxx:

I've sent it
I need it too Sire
Ohangbon.nosakhare@hotmail.com
Thanx

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

My Humble Advice To All Nigerian Students That Just Graduated Recently / Imo State University (IMSU) Calls Off Strike / Mouau Admission 2013/2014 List Is Out (first Choice)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.