Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,589 members, 7,809,131 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:37 AM

Designing A TV Portal - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Designing A TV Portal (1359 Views)

Designing A Site With Php And Oracle Tutorial (Oracle 10G) / Designing A Website Using Coreldraw Application Package / Designing A Website: For Beginners (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Designing A TV Portal by Gamine(f): 12:58pm On Jun 27, 2008
Does anyone have any experience in this,
what would you say are the major elements in the Design.
Thanks.
Re: Designing A TV Portal by smartsoft(m): 2:23pm On Jun 27, 2008
well notting so special about it, it just depends on the fucntionalty needed on the website, but as someone who is web inclined, you will agree with me a portal should have an CMS huh ? well a friend of ours here has done such thing before, i don't know if it is right to post the link to the TV portal he did, but anywhich way, http://www.channelstv.com/index.php abeg tunde sorry for posting the link oooo ! tundewoods did the Channelstv portal, so something like that should give you an idea of what to expect on TV portal, as i said earlier on, it will be better for the site to have a CMS,
Re: Designing A TV Portal by Seun(m): 2:56pm On Jun 27, 2008
What's a TV portal? A site like youtube?
Re: Designing A TV Portal by Gamine(f): 3:48pm On Jun 27, 2008
well, check out abc, cbs, nbc sites

thats what im talking about.
you tube? i dunno.

The channels tv portal just isnt right. didnt do much for me
it looks too Nigerian.
Re: Designing A TV Portal by WebMonk(m): 4:56pm On Jun 27, 2008
na wa o! so a site looks 'nigerian' if you think otherwise of its design. That's quite harsh. have faith in your country small. at least if you do a good design, wouldn't you add "proudly nigerian"? or it's somewhere else?
Re: Designing A TV Portal by Gamine(f): 5:07pm On Jun 27, 2008
lol, you dont get sorry.

too Nigerian, in that, theres too much info at once.
as a user i am overwhelmed.

pls gimme some important advice here.
Re: Designing A TV Portal by OmniPotens(m): 6:05pm On Jun 27, 2008
Why not post links to sample sites you wish to replicate ideas from since that designed by Tunde doesn't match your test. Better still you can come up with a good concept for your own design then have webmasters out here add to make your task a success.
Re: Designing A TV Portal by uspry1(f): 6:16pm On Jun 27, 2008
Or why not you draw a site sketch you wish to replicate ideas then post here? Similar idea of mock-up website or storyboard or whatever you called it.

The webmaster will know what you talk about. Since you are skilled graphic designer i saw on graphics section.

Here is sample mockup site picture what it look like to show your webmaster to get idea what you want for your site at below:

Re: Designing A TV Portal by Gamine(f): 6:17pm On Jun 27, 2008
Alrighty, thanks.
Re: Designing A TV Portal by Neptune(m): 6:37pm On Jun 27, 2008
first off, u shuld get all the info dt's goin to be on the site. then sketch out a design, where each information would be on the website. (do the sketching on a paper or smth). basically this is the table style. that would save u a lot of time. when u r done with this, start to think of the design ideas, colours tables e.t.c. when u are satisfied with what u have, start working. did the same thing with a site im working on (fashionidolsonline.com) hope this helps.
Re: Designing A TV Portal by tundewoods(m): 5:16am On Jun 30, 2008
Gamine:

well, check out abc, cbs, nbc sites

thats what im talking about.
you tube? i don't know.

The channels tv portal just isnt right. didnt do much for me
it looks too Nigerian.

LOLĀ  grin

Let me clear the air regarding the channels tv portal,first of all,by default i don't really like to talk about my clients projects on public forums but for this one i guess smartsoft has already busted the bubble so well let just carry on.

Now the channels tv portal,if i can still remember clearly i did about 4 years ago and originally was outsourced to me and since 2004 till date it has gone through series of visual interface design changes.

The present visual interface the portal has is totally different from what we put in place however most of the serverside dynamic functionality is still in place.

Lastly regarding setting up your TV portal,it all depends on how you plan your web project. Note of warning a well laid out plan must be in place in terms of visual interface feel and serverside functionality before you rush into implementation.

all the best Girlfriend and good luck !
Re: Designing A TV Portal by Gamine(f): 9:26am On Jun 30, 2008
smiley

Thank you T.Woods.
Re: Designing A TV Portal by Afam(m): 1:27pm On Jun 30, 2008
A TV portal must have a comprehensive TV Guide and of course a good and easy to access archives or transcripts of programs.

The easiest way to come up with features that a website should or must have is to see yourself first and foremost as a typical user or visitor that is visiting the website you intend to develop.

Once you are able to separate the designer from the user/visitor all those features that you failed to see on other similar websites or those features you would like to see will begin to come to your mind and before you know it your problem would move from looking for features to add to managing the features you came up with and that is when issues like logical navigation or categorization of links or tasks come in.
Re: Designing A TV Portal by Gamine(f): 1:34pm On Jun 30, 2008
Thanks Afam.

I was thinking that when i went into the Channels Portal.

As a user i was Overwhelmed with the info presented.

as a designer i would go with simple, chic and utilitarian

because i believe as a user its something i would go for too
Re: Designing A TV Portal by Seun(m): 2:01pm On Jun 30, 2008
Chic?
Re: Designing A TV Portal by Gamine(f): 2:32pm On Jun 30, 2008
Yes,
Chic.
Re: Designing A TV Portal by Afam(m): 2:53pm On Jun 30, 2008
Gamine:

I was thinking that when i went into the Channels Portal.

As a user i was Overwhelmed with the info presented.

because i believe as a user its something i would go for too

The problem with a lot of websites you see around is that the business owner or the web developer fails to take into consideration the essence of the websites in the first place.

Rather than focus on what the visitor can do on the website the business owner is interested in the latest flash and assumes beauty alone will draw people and turn them into repeat visitors.

On the other hand the web developer is more interested in showcasing his latest skills on the website sometimes even to the detriment of the business.

A lot of businesses are revamping their websites now, some demand specific features that would make life easier for both potential customers and prospective ones.

It is all about the PEOPLE the website is meant to serve not the business owner or the web developer.

That is why successful websites out there do well in helping visitors achieve what they need to achieve and on time too.
Re: Designing A TV Portal by Gamine(f): 3:01pm On Jun 30, 2008
Muchios gracias

Dstv's is really good too

Re: Designing A TV Portal by stannesi(m): 11:43pm On Jun 30, 2008
hmmmm, ??

Wats that Chic

hope u're not using that sample by uspry1 as a page, , i think she designed a flash player, u can add on d site, tongue

hope u use a Light interface, it attracts more traffic wink

if u wana share your ideas with others tryout www.conceptshare.com and invite people to share deir ideas wit u on ur projectgrin
Re: Designing A TV Portal by uspry1(f): 12:41am On Jul 01, 2008
stannesi:

hope u're not using that sample by uspry1 as a page, , i think she designed a flash player, u can add on d site, tongue

hope u use a Light interface, it attracts more traffic wink

@stannesi

Adobe Flash authoring software you can employ actions/behaviors resulting in AJAX lightbox interface loading multiple video files from any database such as MySQL on the website, do you know that? It has add-on extension for AJAX lightbox connection for Flash authoring!

Don't have to be photo files, it works all external files such as .swf, audio files, video files and .flv.

You also can create AJAX lightbox interface using Dreamweaver as non-Flash based sites too! Dreamweaver has its extension too!

Cool Flash/Dreamweaver extension gadget/snippet!
Re: Designing A TV Portal by stannesi(m): 9:10pm On Jul 01, 2008
hmmm, ??
Hey, grin waz just kiddin, i know all that, u don't hav to spank me. oOOouch! cry

You forget to mention Adobe AIR tongue wink
Re: Designing A TV Portal by uspry1(f): 12:07am On Jul 02, 2008
@stannesi, U naughty boy, i gonna get very thin twig asking u pull ur pant down and spank ur @$$! angry

Of course adobe AIR also important too! grin
Re: Designing A TV Portal by Gamine(f): 3:38pm On Jul 02, 2008
ok here is a page

Re: Designing A TV Portal by stannesi(m): 11:17pm On Jul 02, 2008
@Uspry1
Oouch.! dat hurts, i think ma ass is red,

@Gamine
"SomeTV, " R u serious dats a page, weird, u just join some few pics wit Photoshop or somtin & u call it a page, strange
anyway thumbs up, keep working hard.
Re: Designing A TV Portal by Gamine(f): 3:54pm On Jul 03, 2008
ha ha

i kno ikno.lol grin grin grin
Re: Designing A TV Portal by NSNA: 11:39pm On Jul 06, 2008
you might want to check out my site Gamine. http://www.3dtune.tv
all designed by me.

what ideas do you have, and what are you up to?
Re: Designing A TV Portal by stannesi(m): 10:37pm On Jul 07, 2008
nice one NSNA, its very cool,

@Gamine
hmmmm, (shakes head left - right)
R u sure u're actually, doin a TV portal, tongue
Re: Designing A TV Portal by Gamine(f): 5:31pm On Jul 08, 2008
Sure, its not my current project tho.

because the clients hv to get bck to us.

But i needed info for research purposes

Put out all those smileys jo!

(1) (Reply)

Want To Sell Level 1 Fiverr Account with $56 in it / Urgent Help Needed:how To Paste Ads Code On Blogger / What You Don't Know About Linda Ikeji's Blog Url

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.