Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,332 members, 7,808,137 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:39 AM

For Real, How Old Do You Think Planet Earth Is? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / For Real, How Old Do You Think Planet Earth Is? (2564 Views)

Spiritual Attack Is Real. How To Protect Yourself / The Bible Says The Earth Is Flat While Quran Says Its Spherical, Wow / God Is An Annunaki And Came From Planet X Or "Nibiru". (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

For Real, How Old Do You Think Planet Earth Is? by joe4christ(m): 2:10pm On Oct 01, 2013
Hello fellow nairalanders, the above topic is a question that popped-up in my mind, i made a good use of my google search engine and discovered that there lies a massive difference between what bible scholars based on the scriptures believe to be the age of our planet earth and what science hold as the actual age of the planet, now that got me thinking for a while cos science believed the earth has been in existance for about 4.5 billion years with life first appearing at least 2.5 billion years ago, while bible scholars are of the opinion that the earth is not up to 7000 years of age based on biblical calculations.
So, over to you nairalanders, which do you think made more sense, the scientific or religious view
Re: For Real, How Old Do You Think Planet Earth Is? by Enigma(m): 2:14pm On Oct 01, 2013
Bros, the most important thing to bear in mind is that the Bible does not give the age of the earth or say that it is 7000 years old. cheesy

smiley

2 Likes

Re: For Real, How Old Do You Think Planet Earth Is? by joe4christ(m): 2:22pm On Oct 01, 2013
Enigma: Bros, the most important thing to bear in mind is that the Bible does not give the age of the earth or say that it is 7000 years old. cheesy

smiley

Bros, biblical scholars are of the opinion that from the period of creation in Genesis to this present day, the earth is just about 6000+ old, maybe you should do some research yourself by making maximum use of your google.
Thanks anyways!
Re: For Real, How Old Do You Think Planet Earth Is? by Nobody: 2:24pm On Oct 01, 2013
4.54 billion years based on radiometric dating.
Re: For Real, How Old Do You Think Planet Earth Is? by Enigma(m): 2:25pm On Oct 01, 2013
joe4christ:

Bros, biblical scholars are of the opinion that from the period of creation in Genesis to this present day, the earth is just about 6000+ old, maybe you should do some research yourself by making maximum use of your google.
Thanks anyways!

1. Does the Bible say the earth is 6000-7000 years old?

2. Do all Bible scholars say that the earth is 6000+ years old?

3. What percentage of Bible scholars say it is 6000+ old?

By the way, how do you know I have not done my "research"?

smiley

1 Like

Re: For Real, How Old Do You Think Planet Earth Is? by joe4christ(m): 2:37pm On Oct 01, 2013
Enigma:

smiley

Then maybe you should be providing me some links. Abi
Re: For Real, How Old Do You Think Planet Earth Is? by joe4christ(m): 2:38pm On Oct 01, 2013
ifeness: 4.54 billion years based on radiometric dating.

Please elaborate...
Re: For Real, How Old Do You Think Planet Earth Is? by Enigma(m): 2:39pm On Oct 01, 2013
joe4christ:

Then maybe you should be providing me some links. Abi

Make "maximum use of your Google"! tongue

smiley

1 Like

Re: For Real, How Old Do You Think Planet Earth Is? by plaetton: 2:49pm On Oct 01, 2013
joe4christ: Hello fellow nairalanders, the above topic is a question that popped-up in my mind, i made a good use of my google search engine and discovered that there lies a massive difference between what bible scholars based on the scriptures believe to be the age of our planet earth and what science hold as the actual age of the planet, now that got me thinking for a while cos science believed the earth has been in existance for about 4.5 billion years with life first appearing at least 2.5 billion years ago, while bible scholars are of the opinion that the earth is not up to 7000 years of age based on biblical calculations.
So, over to you nairalanders, which do you think made more sense, the scientific or religious view

Can you give us a reference to these renowned bible scholars, please?.
I hope by bible scholar , you are not referring to bible school graduates. lol
Re: For Real, How Old Do You Think Planet Earth Is? by plaetton: 2:51pm On Oct 01, 2013
joe4christ:

Please elaborate...

@Ifeness:
Pls don't bother.
Do you think he would understand?
Re: For Real, How Old Do You Think Planet Earth Is? by ooman(m): 2:53pm On Oct 01, 2013
10 days tongue
Re: For Real, How Old Do You Think Planet Earth Is? by Nobody: 3:12pm On Oct 01, 2013
The bible gives us a spiritual account of the earth.it is not a scientific account.meanwhile those that wrote the bible did not hav enough knowledge as science has now.they wrote according to the amount of knowledge they had and how they perceived their environment.

1 Like

Re: For Real, How Old Do You Think Planet Earth Is? by Horus(m): 3:32pm On Oct 01, 2013
joe4christ: Hello fellow nairalanders, the above topic is a question that popped-up in my mind, i made a good use of my google search engine and discovered that there lies a massive difference between what bible scholars based on the scriptures believe to be the age of our planet earth and what science hold as the actual age of the planet, now that got me thinking for a while cos science believed the earth has been in existance for about 4.5 billion years with life first appearing at least 2.5 billion years ago, while bible scholars are of the opinion that the earth is not up to 7000 years of age based on biblical calculations.

Primary creation was performed 76 Billions years ago
Re: For Real, How Old Do You Think Planet Earth Is? by macof(m): 4:54pm On Oct 01, 2013
Chidough: The bible gives us a spiritual account of the earth.it is not a scientific account.meanwhile those that wrote the bible did not hav enough knowledge as science has now.they wrote according to the amount of knowledge they had and how they perceived their environment.
that means the story of the holy spirit inspiring the Bible is a complete lie. That or the holy spirit is useless
Re: For Real, How Old Do You Think Planet Earth Is? by noblefada: 5:22pm On Oct 01, 2013
joe4christ:

Thanks anyways!
The bible never said the earth is 7,000 yrs, scholars made their calculations but left out a very important time frame, the period from the creation of man to the fall of man. I wish I could tell u more but I'll stop hear.

1 Like

Re: For Real, How Old Do You Think Planet Earth Is? by Tgirl4real(f): 5:25pm On Oct 01, 2013
Enigma:

smiley

No to d first 2, I don't know about d others. tongue

How are u sir?
Re: For Real, How Old Do You Think Planet Earth Is? by Nobody: 8:57pm On Oct 01, 2013
bible does not give the age of the earth. those who try to guess the age of the earth from biblical genealogy are not enlightened. the biblical genealogy only traces back to when adam was made. bible does not tell you when the actual structures were made

2 Likes

Re: For Real, How Old Do You Think Planet Earth Is? by texanomaly(f): 9:12pm On Oct 01, 2013
obadiah777: bible does not give the age of the earth. those who try to guess the age of the earth from biblical genealogy are not enlightened. the biblical genealogy only traces back to when adam was made. bible does not tell you when the actual structures were made
OMG! I agree with you on something!!!! shocked

1 Like

Re: For Real, How Old Do You Think Planet Earth Is? by joe4christ(m): 6:28am On Oct 02, 2013
plaetton:

@Ifeness:
Pls don't bother.
Do you think he would understand?

And, do i sound like an illiterate to you
Oshi ni ye o, i was only asking her to put some light into it and not just make a shallow statement lacking details...
Re: For Real, How Old Do You Think Planet Earth Is? by joe4christ(m): 6:31am On Oct 02, 2013
Anyways, thanks, i think i got it now!
Re: For Real, How Old Do You Think Planet Earth Is? by Nobody: 10:57am On Oct 02, 2013
texanomaly:
OMG! I agree with you on something!!!! shocked
this is definitely end time tins cry grin

1 Like

Re: For Real, How Old Do You Think Planet Earth Is? by Areaboy2(m): 12:39pm On Oct 02, 2013
obadiah777: bible does not give the age of the earth. those who try to guess the age of the earth from biblical genealogy are not enlightened. the biblical genealogy only traces back to when adam was made. bible does not tell you when the actual structures were made

Right... so "we" have no idea when the structures were made, but tracing back to Adam still doesn't add up as humans have been around much longer than that.

@OP.. Of course the scientific view makes more sense. Take a stroll to any geological outcrop in your area and do your own estimation of how long it took for that sedimentation to occur and you'll clearly see the bible has no clue what its on about.

Having said that, it is also widely accepted that the creation story is symbolic. Keep it that way so you don't get it twisted. However, that begs another question... If that story is symbolic, how many more stories are? Noah? Joseph? Jonah? Job? Moses? Samson? Daniel? even Jesus? grin

1 Like

Re: For Real, How Old Do You Think Planet Earth Is? by AlfaSeltzer(m): 12:46pm On Oct 02, 2013

Oh yes it did. Infact, it was very precise on which day what was created. It took exactly 6 days.

1 Like

Re: For Real, How Old Do You Think Planet Earth Is? by PastorOluT(m): 12:56pm On Oct 02, 2013
noblefada:
The bible never said the earth is 7,000 yrs, scholars made their calculations but left out a very important time frame, the period from the creation of man to the fall of man. I wish I could tell u more but I'll stop hear.
Rightly said, the bible never said how long Adam n eve was in the Garden of Eden. So I wondered where the so called scholars u quoted got their nos?
Re: For Real, How Old Do You Think Planet Earth Is? by AlfaSeltzer(m): 1:04pm On Oct 02, 2013
Pastor Olu T:
Rightly said, the bible never said how long Adam n eve was in the Garden of Eden. So I wondered where the so called scholars u quoted got their nos?

From the holy word of god evidently:

Genesis 5:5

5 Altogether, Adam lived a total of 930 years, and then he died.
Re: For Real, How Old Do You Think Planet Earth Is? by Nobody: 1:06pm On Oct 02, 2013
Area_boy:

Right... so "we" have no idea when the structures were made, but tracing back to Adam still doesn't add up as humans have been around much longer than that.

@OP.. Of course the scientific view makes more sense. Take a stroll to any geological outcrop in your area and do your own estimation of how long it took for that sedimentation to occur and you'll clearly see the bible has no clue what its on about.

Having said that, it is also widely accepted that the creation story is symbolic. Keep it that way so you don't get it twisted. However, that begs another question... If that story is symbolic, how many more stories are? Noah? Joseph? Jonah? Job? Moses? Samson? Daniel? even Jesus? grin
yes you are right, humans have been around much longer than that. adam is a special kind of human created in the image of God. the genealogy of the bible starts with the human created in the image of God. way before then there were humans created as beasts.
Re: For Real, How Old Do You Think Planet Earth Is? by Nobody: 1:09pm On Oct 02, 2013
Alfa Seltzer:

Oh yes it did. Infact, it was very precise on which day what was created. It took exactly 6 days.
from your interpretation it took 6 days to make the earth ? lol bible does not mention anything about the world being created. the world could be millions of years old for all i know

1 Like

Re: For Real, How Old Do You Think Planet Earth Is? by AlfaSeltzer(m): 1:10pm On Oct 02, 2013
obadiah777: yes you are right, humans have been around much longer than that. adam is a special kind of human created in the image of God. the genealogy of the bible starts with the human created in the image of God. way before then there were humans created as beasts.

No proof of this assertion which is a direct contradiction of genesis chapter 1 which said that a week before adam came into existence, nothing existed.
Re: For Real, How Old Do You Think Planet Earth Is? by AlfaSeltzer(m): 1:11pm On Oct 02, 2013
obadiah777: from your interpretation it took 6 days to make the earth ? lol bible does not mention anything about the world being created. the world could be millions of years old for all i know

I didn't interprete. the book is very clear on creation.
Re: For Real, How Old Do You Think Planet Earth Is? by Nobody: 1:15pm On Oct 02, 2013
Alfa Seltzer:

No proof of this assertion which is a direct contradiction of genesis chapter 1 which said that a week before adam came into existence, nothing existed.
bible does not say anything of this nature. i suggest you read it carefully. can you quote the verse in the bible that backs your post

2 Likes

Re: For Real, How Old Do You Think Planet Earth Is? by Nobody: 1:15pm On Oct 02, 2013
Alfa Seltzer:

I didn't interprete. the book is very clear on creation.
the story is not literal

2 Likes

Re: For Real, How Old Do You Think Planet Earth Is? by macof(m): 1:35pm On Oct 02, 2013
why are u people only using the jewish myth here? u think other ethnic groups dont have their view on our the world started

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Creation Reveals The Existence Of A Creator / Jehovah Witness Is A Cult! / Nigeria’s Oldest Pastor, Samuel Sadela, Dies At Age 114

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.