Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,310 members, 7,808,044 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:37 AM

11 Signs That You Should Leave Your Job. - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / 11 Signs That You Should Leave Your Job. (25901 Views)

Why Did You Leave Your Last Job? / 9 Smart Ways To Say No To Your Boss Without Losing Your Job / 4 Better Ways To Answer "Why Are You Leaving Your Job?" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

11 Signs That You Should Leave Your Job. by rodeo0070(m): 11:28am On Oct 02, 2013
We've all struggled with our motivation to go to work from time to time – the alarm goes off and we go, “Ugh, not again!” In fact, until we've had our coffee, it’s as if the human race hasn't evolved at all. (I don’t think I end up saying coherent syllables until 10 a.m.) But what if it’s more than that? What if that heavy sense of dread about work follows you everywhere you go? Does that mean it’s time to leave your job?

You’d think a job that makes us feel awful would be easy to leave, but for many of us it’s not the case. Either we feel it’s impossible to find something better, or we worry that if we leave, we’ll end up in a worse position than we’re in now. Here’s what I’ve learned: no job is ever worth your health. In fact, nothing is! Yet our need for financial survival constantly gets the best of us. It’s time to start doing what it takes to get a grip on your well-being.

Here are 11 signs you should leave your job:

1. You dread going to work in the morning.

If when your alarm goes off you feel compelled to start sobbing into your pillow, it’s seriously time to rethink your job status. Dig deep and look at what’s really bothering you: Is it a specific chunk of tasks you have to accomplish? Is it not what you work on, but who you work with? Or are you just bored by the monotony? Getting specific about your dread will help you figure out what to do – whether it be discussing new opportunities with your boss, or deciding to leave your job entirely for opportunities elsewhere.

2. You have absolutely no interest in the work you’re doing.

There’s nothing more draining than a job that has nothing to do with your ultimate goals or personal interests. Regardless of what you’re being paid, you’ll never fully enjoy your life or reach your full potential if you’re saddled with so much apathy – it will eventually spill into other areas of your life and dim those as well.

3. Your job is so routine, it’s become boring.

If your workday has become so monotonous you’re constantly fighting boredom, it’s time to seriously consider moving on. If you’ve talked to your boss and either there’s no follow-through on the promise of change or the changes aren’t shifting how you feel, then it’s a good indicator it’s time to leave your job.

4. You feel stuck.

If you feel like you've learned all there is to learn in your job or moving up the ladder has not fulfilled you in any way, bust out the want ads.

5. You’re concerned about the financial stability of your company.

Even though after rounds of lay-offs you’re still standing, you are now left with a permanent feeling of uneasiness.

6. You’re not “you” anymore.

You've lost your “spark.” Instead of looking forward to your day, your only focus is surviving it.

7. You’re noticing physical changes because of the stress.

Where and how we work impacts our body. If you’re losing or gaining weight, experiencing excruciating body pain, anxiety attacks or consistent feelings of melancholy, it’s time to reflect and consider other options.

8. Your boss needs an exorcism.

If your boss leaves you in a permanent state of panic – so much so that you’re losing sleep and experiencing constant feelings of inadequacy – run! Run away screaming! Especially if they've been approached about these issues before and are in complete denial.

9. You've entered a spiral of negativity.

If you've lost the will to care and are putting zero effort into not just your work, but how you dress, act, or complete the smallest of tasks, there’s no doubt it’s time for a change.

10. You have no time for yourself.

If you’re working so many late nights you don’t feel like a person anymore, leave your job and find one that allows you to have time for yourself. What’s the point of making a living if you don’t have time to actually live?

11. You feel like an outcast.

If you don’t fit in with how your company operates, or don’t believe in what you’re doing and it makes you uncomfortable, it’s time to move on. I’m not naive – I know leaving your job is one of the hardest decisions to make, never mind actions to take, but your health and well-being depend on it.

You know what’s scarier than leaving your job? Staying. But of course, most of us would stay (using the E GO BETTER statement to console ourselves) because of the state and insecurities of Niger-Area. At least, we are the "Happiest people on earth".

Is it time to leave your job? What signs would you add to this list?

CULLED FROM: http://www.lifehack.org/articles/work/11-signs-that-you-should-leave-your-job.html?utm_source=Lifehack&utm_campaign=bae108665d-RSS_EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_983e966a3e-bae108665d-414734457

3 Likes

Re: 11 Signs That You Should Leave Your Job. by Timijo(m): 3:02pm On Oct 02, 2013
Before I comment, I will like to appreciate Baba God who has given me the ultimate privilege to be the 1st to comment today.

12. When your job is stopping you from coming to nairaland everyday.

Quit that job that will not allow you to give Seun traffic.

7 Likes

Re: 11 Signs That You Should Leave Your Job. by Caracta(f): 3:05pm On Oct 02, 2013
rodeo0070:

6. You’re not “you” anymore.

You've lost your “spark.” Instead of looking forward to your day, your only focus is surviving it.

10. You have no time for yourself.

If you’re working so many late nights you don’t feel like a person anymore, leave your job and find one that allows you to have time for yourself. What’s the point of making a living if you don’t have time to actually live?

Thank you. I'll leave soon anyway. sad

1 Like

Re: 11 Signs That You Should Leave Your Job. by adtiezy1(m): 3:05pm On Oct 02, 2013
kkk
Re: 11 Signs That You Should Leave Your Job. by moscobabs(m): 3:06pm On Oct 02, 2013
beta tell all of us to leave hour job.....rubbish!!!

1 Like

Re: 11 Signs That You Should Leave Your Job. by christejames(m): 3:09pm On Oct 02, 2013
Can it be linked with education? Cos wetin ASUU don do us resemble wetin u paste ooo
Re: 11 Signs That You Should Leave Your Job. by Aderupoko2: 3:10pm On Oct 02, 2013
Very good articule but where do we go in this present Nigeria.
Re: 11 Signs That You Should Leave Your Job. by momodub: 3:10pm On Oct 02, 2013
Nice one
Re: 11 Signs That You Should Leave Your Job. by homesteady(m): 3:12pm On Oct 02, 2013
Number 1 - I'm sure plenty people dread going to work! For heaven's sake who wants to stress him/herself!
Number 3 - Most jobs are a routine! The same thing everyday! Sit down, work on some papers, play with computer!

1 Like

Re: 11 Signs That You Should Leave Your Job. by strangest(m): 3:14pm On Oct 02, 2013
69) If the salary no gree increase whereas all the good things in life dey increase
Re: 11 Signs That You Should Leave Your Job. by InvertedHammer: 3:14pm On Oct 02, 2013
There is no reason to leave your job...exception being if you are ready for retirement or you have something better
already locked in (not hopeful)

You think your job is horrible? Talk to those in the unemployment lines.

If your job sucks...that's the price you have to pay. If you want to party, go to the club.

11 Likes

Re: 11 Signs That You Should Leave Your Job. by DEGREE2466(m): 3:18pm On Oct 02, 2013
wetin happen today? All the topics on front page no comment abi all nairalanders went on leave/strike?

When your input into your place of work is inconsiderably greater than the output you receive runnnnnnnn
Re: 11 Signs That You Should Leave Your Job. by olaNL: 3:19pm On Oct 02, 2013
is it in nigeria where ppl are looking 4 job dat u want 2 do dis. Better think twice

2 Likes

Re: 11 Signs That You Should Leave Your Job. by Blackbody20(m): 3:23pm On Oct 02, 2013
All these are signs i'm presently experiencing......I need port be dat!

1 Like

Re: 11 Signs That You Should Leave Your Job. by Nobody: 3:24pm On Oct 02, 2013
hahaha, I saw most of these signs in my previous job and left without regretting eventhough I had no other option as at then but in less than 6 months, I got something else. Am happy I left them

1 Like

Re: 11 Signs That You Should Leave Your Job. by brummell: 3:25pm On Oct 02, 2013
When u r working without appointment letter, when u have worked for years without increase in pay or promotion run run run, when u have worked in a place without space to improve ur life

3 Likes

Re: 11 Signs That You Should Leave Your Job. by Nobody: 3:33pm On Oct 02, 2013
Lolzz, you don't work becos you enjoy ur job.. You work because you need money, if I had my way, I'd lay on my bed all day... But man must wack, d boredom, incovenience and routineness of the job are just one of those setbacks you have to live with... The only sure sign it is time to leave your job is when you have a BETTER PAYING ONE... If you leave your well paying job because of those stuffs listed above ehn... You are on a long thing.. A man gotta do what a man gotta do..

1 Like

Re: 11 Signs That You Should Leave Your Job. by kokoye(m): 3:34pm On Oct 02, 2013
No. 1: You have a plan B.
Re: 11 Signs That You Should Leave Your Job. by drdams: 3:35pm On Oct 02, 2013
Addition..
When ur task dont av specification # all rounda #
When you cant Confidently talk about your work place in Public..

3 Likes

Re: 11 Signs That You Should Leave Your Job. by MAYOWAAK: 3:36pm On Oct 02, 2013
I posted a similar topic on October 22 2012.

https://www.nairaland.com/1082012/10-signs-job-dissatisfaction

10 SIGNS OF JOB DISSATISFACTION

1. Dread Mondays or going to work on any day.
2. Can’t wait for Friday.
3. Are often bored at work.
4. Feel tired or chronically fatigued.
5. Avoid your boss and dread meetings.
6. Have no enthusiasm or sense of self-worth.
7. Feel like you are getting nowhere in your job.
8. Frequently take work stress home.
9. Question your choice of industry or occupation.
10. Can’t think of a way out.

2 Likes

Re: 11 Signs That You Should Leave Your Job. by switdil(f): 3:41pm On Oct 02, 2013
I think m just tired of working for people
I need to wise up

2 Likes

Re: 11 Signs That You Should Leave Your Job. by trolling(m): 3:42pm On Oct 02, 2013
I make my job fun and interesting, well that's because I have no supervisor,I'm just by myself,engaging my mind, its a night shift but i make time go by fast...no dulling
Re: 11 Signs That You Should Leave Your Job. by gbengalite(m): 3:51pm On Oct 02, 2013
Good piece
Re: 11 Signs That You Should Leave Your Job. by Nobody: 3:53pm On Oct 02, 2013
IN FACT....I AM PLANNING TO LEAVE MY JOB SOON....I'M PRAYING AND HOPING FOR A POSITIVE OUTCOME FROM THE COUPLE OF INTERVIEWS I DID LAST WEEK. MY REASON FOR TRYING TO CALL IT QUITS IS BECAUSE OF THE HEAVY OFFICE POLITICS, AND UNREASONABLE AND SOMEWHAT RUDE BOSS I HAVE. GOING TO WORK EVERYDAY HAS BECOME SOMETHING I DREAD!!!!
Re: 11 Signs That You Should Leave Your Job. by Exponental(m): 3:54pm On Oct 02, 2013
Story....story!
If d pay is very good, like a receptionist dat earns 450k, wat will u do?.......stay jooor n refresh urself with d pay.
Re: 11 Signs That You Should Leave Your Job. by MzteejaY(f): 3:55pm On Oct 02, 2013
cryAll these signs apply to my job. Bt its jst so hard to quit.
Re: 11 Signs That You Should Leave Your Job. by vladimiros: 4:05pm On Oct 02, 2013
NOT IN NAIJA OH!!
Re: 11 Signs That You Should Leave Your Job. by rodeo0070(m): 4:18pm On Oct 02, 2013
engineerd: IN FACT....I AM PLANNING TO LEAVE MY JOB SOON....I'M PRAYING AND HOPING FOR A POSITIVE OUTCOME FROM THE COUPLE OF INTERVIEWS I DID LAST WEEK. MY REASON FOR TRYING TO CALL IT QUITS IS BECAUSE OF THE HEAVY OFFICE POLITICS, AND UNREASONABLE AND SOMEWHAT RUDE BOSS I HAVE. GOING TO WORK EVERYDAY HAS BECOME SOMETHING I DREAD!!!!

Before you quit your present job make sure u av one @ hand o!

1 Like

Re: 11 Signs That You Should Leave Your Job. by Infomizer(m): 4:20pm On Oct 02, 2013
"If you work for a living, why do you kill yourself working?" - Tuco (The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly)

The straightdope on the issue is that most employed folks are miserable at their jobs. I used to be like that but I bailed after some months when the implications were minimal since I had no serious familial commitments. I had to pursue my dream. Many are not that fortunate or do not have the guts coz of insecurity, but will you blame them? Normally, if you don't love your job, you should quit. But we know things are not normal around here. Not everybody is business savvy. So to me, the best approach is to see the bright side of things and to work assidiously towards liberating yourself (whatever that means to you).

1 Like

Re: 11 Signs That You Should Leave Your Job. by Bsmartt(m): 4:24pm On Oct 02, 2013
I'm sorry to say that almost all the jobs in our beloved country are like what was mention above.God help us
Re: 11 Signs That You Should Leave Your Job. by Lachynos2k2(m): 4:31pm On Oct 02, 2013
Aderupoko2: Very good articule but where do we go in this present Nigeria.
afghanistan.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Masters Or Stay On Job? / Massachusetts Mother Quits Job After Claiming $758-million Powerball Jackpot / Buhari Suspends Tenure Policy In The Federal Civil Service

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.