Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,699 members, 7,802,070 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 08:41 AM

How To Deal With Negative People. - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / How To Deal With Negative People. (15063 Views)

10 Things You Eat That Destroys Your Teeth And How To Deal With Them. / How To Stop Obsessing Over Your Body Image And Beat Negative Thoughts. / Copied. Wif Was Tested HIV Positive While I Was Negative. How Possible Is This ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Deal With Negative People. by rodeo0070(m): 12:30pm On Oct 02, 2013
[b]Negative people are everywhere, although hopefully you’re not one of them. Most people prefer the idea of a calm life where problems are solved without conflict but In reality, that’s a little bit difficult to obtain. However, some methods, a system even, that you can you to deal with the negative people you are faced with:

There are moments in our lives when we invariably end up confronting other people’s negativity. While conflicts are a natural part of our relationships, getting caught in negativity can sometimes ruin our best days. So how can we avoid falling into the trap of being put down by negative people?

This is a question that has been on my mind since childhood. I grew up in a loving family. But like most families, mine had its issues too. So the loving environment was occasionally disturbed by some pretty nasty conflicts. Most of the time, everything was latent. Still, negativity could be felt and because I was caught somewhere in the middle and never actually took sides, I was used as a means of venting frustration. Others would come to me and tell me their side of the story. I would simply listen, though in my mind it was just pointless drama which hurt and felt bad. Sadly, I couldn't do much to change things.

So I had to develop a strategy to help me cope with the situation. In time, through trial and error, I managed to build a system that helped me avoid being dragged down by negativity. It’s been tested over and over again and works whenever I use it. Please note that this technique can be also applied effectively when dealing with difficult clients.
[/b]

1. Avoid Confrontations When Emotions Are Intense
This is a general rule of successful conflict management. It’s actually what my folks didn't do – they usually bottled up all sorts of unsaid things and acted on their emotions, when these reached a high intensity. The result was a mini-explosion, which could have been avoided if they decided to vent first and then discuss the issue.

Why should you do this?

The reason is simple. When your emotions are at peak they take you over. You stop thinking rationally and you lose your mental-emotional balance. You literally become your emotion and everything you say and do is a result of that. From that one-sided perspective you cannot make good decisions nor take proper action.

So vent your emotions first and proceed into conflict solving and solution finding afterwards.

How do you vent your emotions effectively?

I personally love to journal through them and I believe this is the best approach you can take. Journal helps you acknowledge your feelings, which is very important for your sense of well-being. It also directs your focus and helps you go into the problem solving part too.

A second approach would be taking a walk through the park. Connecting with nature is a great way to release negativity. The physical activity will help your body release endorphins, which will give you a good feeling. Working out has similar effects too.

And while you can take control over your own emotional response in a conflict situation, there’s always at least one other person involved. They may not have taken the time to vent out their negativity and are ready to throw it at you.

If you find yourself in such a situation, proceed with the next steps.

2. Stay Aware

When we’re confronted with strong emotions in someone else, something in us reacts as well. Our bodies get into fight or flight mode and we feel the urge to retaliate or withdraw.

The key is to become aware of these emotions, notice and acknowledge them. Denying what we feel always backfires. The easiest way to stay aware is to keep the focus on the body and the breath.

I used to make this mistake in the past. I kept repeating to myself that I am calm and I tried to calm myself down in various ways, but all failed miserably. It was only when I started acknowledging and feeling my anger, that improvements started showing.

When you stay aware, you are able to feel and notice every emotion you have, but you also have the power to look at them as an observer. You can shift from “I am angry” to “I’m feeling anger”, which makes a huge difference.

Being angry means you are one with anger. Feeling the anger means it can freely flow through you and you can consciously choose to respond from an empowered state. You just have anger, but you are not anger anymore. That makes it easier for you to let go of it, just as if you were letting go of something you hold in your hands.

I have given the above example with anger because it’s the most common situation, but it can be applied to all sorts of emotions, like shame, guilt, resentment, etc.

3. Acknowledge The Other Person’s Feelings

I've noticed that a conflict gets disarmed really fast whenever I agree with the other person. By agreeing, there’s virtually no more room for a confrontation, so the intensity of the other person’s emotion drops considerably.

It’s a brilliant way to stop those people who use you as an outlet to vent their frustration or negativity. It spares you a lot of time and nerves.

What do you do when you really don’t agree with the other person?
Well, that’s the most common situation and I have a solution for that too. What you can do is agree with their feelings, not their opinions.

If they say they feel outraged because this and that happened, you can simply say “Yes, I can understand how that made you feel outraged”.

That’s it!

Truth is, they did feel outraged and your agreeing to that fact is not a lie. Of course, you may not have felt outraged in a similar situation, but that’s irrelevant.

Most misunderstandings occur because we expect others to react like we do and we hold ourselves as standards. But we’re prone to being wrong, because every individual has a different personal history and reacts in their own way.

4. Discover The Other Person’s Good Intention

Everyone enters a conflict with a good intention for themselves. That intention may be setting boundaries, freeing up repressed energy, getting more comfort, expressing themselves, etc.

The bottom line is that they get into the conflict with the expectation to get something good in the end, even if it’s just a good feeling.

These positive intentions underlie all our behaviors. But sometimes we choose destructive behaviors to fulfill such positive intentions.

In managing conflicts, it’s wise to look beneath the surface to understand what the positive intention of the other person is and respond to that. Sometimes their behavior may hurt us. But as long as we are aware that they have a good intention and we identify it, then we can act in an empowered manner and with more kindness towards them.

Sometimes it’s difficult to identify the positive intention. And at other times we may be prone to making false assumptions, which lead us on a wrong path.

The easiest way to find out what a person really wants is to simply ask them. It’s usually something specific, so the answer shouldn’t be hard to obtain.

You can say something like: “What do you actually want from this? And what good will it bring you?”. You may want to dig a little deeper too at times, if the real intention isn't expressed from the beginning.

Having discovered the positive intention, you can proceed with problem solving.

5. Let Go Of Being Right

I know this is a really tough one and it’s much easier said than done. But it’s an essential step.

So far I have explained how you can disarm someone’s negative emotions. The second part of solving a conflict is finding solutions together with the other person.

So the discussion shouldn't be about who is right or who is wrong. It should be about what can be done to creatively find a common ground and a proper way to solve the issues.

Blaming and holding on to the need of being right will only amplify negativity.

The truth lies somewhere in the middle. If you insist on being right and having things your way, you’ll recreate negativity and conflict in the future. Think about the long-term effects on the relationship and focus on finding solutions.

6. Whatever Happens, Know You Did Your Best

There may be times when you apply all the steps above and you still don’t get the expected results.

This is likely to happen when you work with lots of people and do some sort of customer service work. I know from my own experience in customer service, that some people just won’t cooperate, no matter what. You can’t please everyone, even if you strive to do your best all the time.

In the beginning, I used to feel bad about such situations. I knew how I did everything I could to help some customers and they were still unhappy. But then I understood that it was about them, not about me. I really did all I was capable of doing.

So even if you won’t reach your desired outcome, give yourself a pat on the back and congratulate yourself for having done your best. As long as you strive to do your best, your conscience can be clean. Sometimes it’s really just about the other person and you don’t have control over their reactions and feelings.

I've learned this lesson the hard way and shifting the mindset from “I wasn't able to solve this” to “I really did my best in this situation” has helped me bounce off the negativity of others very quickly.

This approach also helped me avoid getting emotionally abused by others. I acknowledged my limits and stopped trying to do everything to please everyone. I did my best as long as it was within the confined limits. If others didn't respond well to that, I had the satisfaction of having done absolutely everything in my powers, while also keeping my integrity.

CULLED FROM: http://www.lifehack.org/articles/communication/how-avoid-being-put-down-negative-people.html?utm_source=Lifehack&utm_campaign=7edf27cd9b-RSS_EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_983e966a3e-7edf27cd9b-414734457

11 Likes

Re: How To Deal With Negative People. by Nobody: 7:01pm On Oct 15, 2013
Gustavo was 'ere cool

#FTC
Re: How To Deal With Negative People. by topas100(m): 7:05pm On Oct 15, 2013
Great article, but confrontation is good sometimes cos u just got to speak up in the face of provocation
Re: How To Deal With Negative People. by devigblegble: 7:06pm On Oct 15, 2013
IGNORE them
Re: How To Deal With Negative People. by SonG113(m): 7:07pm On Oct 15, 2013
nice write up bro..
Re: How To Deal With Negative People. by axion(m): 7:07pm On Oct 15, 2013
Na so so culled from lifehack? undecided

1 Like

Re: How To Deal With Negative People. by Princeadebayo1(m): 7:14pm On Oct 15, 2013
Noted
Re: How To Deal With Negative People. by Ojeremi(m): 7:15pm On Oct 15, 2013
kill them all[b][/b] and end them before loving them, can I sleeps pls
Re: How To Deal With Negative People. by Nobody: 7:16pm On Oct 15, 2013
OP, how come all your threads are making front page today and at thesame time? I see you've finally succeeded at hacking NL.

Wish you the best!

1 Like

Re: How To Deal With Negative People. by viruzemmy2: 7:18pm On Oct 15, 2013
Ah dan enta fr0nt page w0h... cheesy

any b0dy dan finish read? Wetin dem dey talk?
Re: How To Deal With Negative People. by UsaNumber: 7:19pm On Oct 15, 2013
Noted.
My username speaks for itself
Re: How To Deal With Negative People. by Nobody: 7:19pm On Oct 15, 2013
I put poison in my enemies food ....if I don't kill them WHO WILL.
Re: How To Deal With Negative People. by axion(m): 7:21pm On Oct 15, 2013
odun4love: I put poison in my enemies food ....if I don't kill them WHO WILL.
You are too local
Re: How To Deal With Negative People. by Raypawer(m): 7:23pm On Oct 15, 2013
ok o!
Re: How To Deal With Negative People. by duality(m): 7:24pm On Oct 15, 2013
Fact is that 80% of people who communicate on nairaland are negative minded people. Unfortunately, the number keeps increasing on a geometric progression.

They attack those who try to bring in positive perspectives to discussions. Its a Big problem. This gives credence to the prediction that Nigeria will breakup in 2015. The level of despondency, hate is so alarming.

4 Likes

Re: How To Deal With Negative People. by seedord247(m): 7:29pm On Oct 15, 2013
duality: Fact is that 80% of people who communicate on nairaland are negative minded people. Unfortunately, the number keeps increasing on a geometric progression.

They attack those who try to bring in positive perspectives to discussions. Its a Big problem. This gives credence to the prediction that Nigeria will breakup in 2015. The level of despondency, hate is so alarming.

E.g The GEJ laptop dogs. grin

1 Like

Re: How To Deal With Negative People. by Nobody: 7:31pm On Oct 15, 2013
Tank you op, for giving me ideas on hw to deal wit the wicthes and wizards on this NL.
Re: How To Deal With Negative People. by zub(m): 7:48pm On Oct 15, 2013
Nice talk. Noted. Truth is most of what the OP put up here aint practical.
Re: How To Deal With Negative People. by Temismith(f): 8:00pm On Oct 15, 2013
K
Re: How To Deal With Negative People. by Nobody: 8:01pm On Oct 15, 2013
sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad
Re: How To Deal With Negative People. by Nobody: 8:09pm On Oct 15, 2013
Thanks!
Re: How To Deal With Negative People. by Nobody: 8:10pm On Oct 15, 2013
hi babe
Temismith: K
Re: How To Deal With Negative People. by olopan(m): 8:12pm On Oct 15, 2013
if you think this article is long and you never bother to read it to the end "like" this post

2 Likes

Re: How To Deal With Negative People. by Nobody: 8:13pm On Oct 15, 2013
don't let provocation PUSH you to speak....speak @ your own time and POWERFULLY too! plan all the way to the end

topas100: Great article, but confrontation is good sometimes cos u just got to speak up in the face of provocation
Re: How To Deal With Negative People. by Nobody: 8:42pm On Oct 15, 2013
rill:
which zoo did u escape from? So uhad to quote all that to type just a dot
Let me keep calm cos if i reply u, seun will ban me again.
Isi ede
Re: How To Deal With Negative People. by alotofgrace(m): 8:44pm On Oct 15, 2013
as if u nor be human
Re: How To Deal With Negative People. by bloglover(m): 8:52pm On Oct 15, 2013
To cut d long story short, if vex vex u abeg vex oh, no go over accumulate vex because e no go funi oh
Re: How To Deal With Negative People. by jahbiz: 9:08pm On Oct 15, 2013
What is this? How do you expect me to read all of this on Ileya day. Alfa give me 2meat and 1 bottle of Honourable.
Re: How To Deal With Negative People. by minute(f): 9:25pm On Oct 15, 2013
Some people can not be brightened up and take pleasure in their misery and the misery they cause you.

Pack your bags.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

3 Fast Food Workers Unconscious After Inhaling Generator Fumes / The Best Workout And Diet Program For You Is..? / Top 35 Weight Loss Tips

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.