Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,876 members, 7,802,819 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 10:37 PM

How To Stop Obsessing Over Your Body Image And Beat Negative Thoughts. - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / How To Stop Obsessing Over Your Body Image And Beat Negative Thoughts. (18298 Views)

What Coke Does To Your Body in 60 minutes / 6 Ways To Stop Obsessing / Unable To Stop Throwing Up (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Stop Obsessing Over Your Body Image And Beat Negative Thoughts. by rodeo0070(m): 12:48pm On Oct 02, 2013
[b]Raise your hand if you've ever said or done any of the following:

*Pinched your stomach for fat
*Looked for cellulite somewhere on your body
*Hated your body type
*Looked at magazines and felt inadequate about yourself
*Went on a diet in the last 3 months
*Been envious of your thinner friends
*Compared yourself to someone else

If you said yes to any of the above, fear not: you aren't alone. Most of us have looked in the mirror, seen something we don’t like, and immediately started thinking negatively about our bodies. In fact, body dissatisfaction is at an all time high today, with millions of people struggling with eating disorders and body dysmorphic disorder.

You likely know that you shouldn't be spending so much time worrying about the externals, but you don’t know what to do to fix the problem. You try to tell yourself not to worry about your appearance, to be happy with who you are and to stop comparing yourself to others, yet, you still cling to your negative internal monologues. Why? Because you have no concrete tools to break out of your “stinking thinking” mentality.

How does beating ourselves up and constantly ruminating about our bodies help us get what we want out of life? It doesn't. In fact, it can cause feelings ranging from mild discontentment to severe depression.

How do you solve the problem? By making a decision: if you’re tired of beating yourself up, if you want to embrace your intrinsic worth and learn to actually start liking your body, here are some next steps to consider:
[/b]

Take Notice

You can’t change what you don’t notice, so start paying attention to what you pay attention to. That means you have to key into what your mind is always focusing on during the day. Notice your self-talk and any behaviors that are self-limiting. Listen for negative patterns in your head. Are there consistent themes? Write them down. For example, you may feed yourself a steady diet of thoughts like, “I’m a loser, I’m fat; I’m unlovable because of my appearance.” Noticing these negative attributions is the first step to change.

Watch for Thinking Errors

People who struggle with body image issues tend to gravitate toward certain thinking errors. Here are just a few of the biggies:

*“All or nothing” thinking. I’m either perfect, or a total failure.
*Magnifying/Catasphrophizing. Gaining a few pounds means no one will ever love me.
*Emotional reasoning. I take my feelings and make them facts about my intrinsic worth. I feel fat so I am a loser.
*Negative self. Negative ways of thinking that make it harder for me to achieve my goals or get what I want from life.

Watch for triggers

If TV, Internet, social media, the fashion industry, the food industry, or magazines trigger your negative feelings or feelings of inadequacy, steer clear of them for a while. This doesn't mean you don’t read a magazine, or watch TV, it means you choose more wisely about what you want to put into your brain.

Stop Comparing

Every magazine out there will depress you if you compare yourself to the cover girls and guys. Even though you know they’re digitally enhanced, it’s still a bummer. Pay attention to who you’re comparing yourself to, and make a deliberate attempt to stop and reset your mind.

Recognize the big four

Don’t try to be perfect: instead, practice accepting yourself. Stop judging yourself on your appearance or body image. There is a lot more to a person than how much they weigh—focus instead on your strengths and attributes. Be ware of your inner critic; try practicing being grateful for what you do have. Do not get stuck in victim mentality. The “poor me” syndrome will keep you stuck and going nowhere.

Develop positive counter-statements

Start a list of positive statements to refute the negative things you’re telling yourself: it’s important that you have some measure of belief in their veracity. Instead of saying “I hate my body”, try saying “I’m grateful I have a healthy body. I’m grateful I can go for a run or carry my child.” You may not be perfect, but who says you have to be?

Think of the bigger picture

Living in a world that places so much emphasis on how we look is hard, but there are so many things that are much more important than how much we weigh or whether we have cellulite. Try getting outside your head and do something of eternal significance. Go to Haiti to help rebuild; volunteer at a homeless shelter; or go visit someone in a nursing home. Actions like these will dramatically change your perspective about what matters.

Perhaps the most important part of learning to like our bodies is being grateful for them.

The key to avoiding this negative distortion and stopping the mental spin is to understand what initiates the cycle: How to Stop the Negative Spin of Thoughts, Emotions and Actions

CULLED FROM: http://www.lifehack.org/articles/lifestyle/how-stop-obsessing-over-your-body-image-and-beat-negative-thoughts.html

7 Likes

Re: How To Stop Obsessing Over Your Body Image And Beat Negative Thoughts. by nwaobitex: 4:32pm On Oct 02, 2013
physically fit
Re: How To Stop Obsessing Over Your Body Image And Beat Negative Thoughts. by Nobody: 12:41pm On Oct 16, 2013
Gustavo was ere

Re: How To Stop Obsessing Over Your Body Image And Beat Negative Thoughts. by Cestmoi1(f): 12:41pm On Oct 16, 2013
Nice one!

1 Like

Re: How To Stop Obsessing Over Your Body Image And Beat Negative Thoughts. by mustaphagreens(m): 12:43pm On Oct 16, 2013
no need i've got six sacks! 4th to comment
Re: How To Stop Obsessing Over Your Body Image And Beat Negative Thoughts. by alotofgrace(m): 12:43pm On Oct 16, 2013
i tot u were going to give a code to delete obsession undecided
Re: How To Stop Obsessing Over Your Body Image And Beat Negative Thoughts. by phil5(m): 12:44pm On Oct 16, 2013
Nice ,but I nor read all
Re: How To Stop Obsessing Over Your Body Image And Beat Negative Thoughts. by Honeybabs19: 12:46pm On Oct 16, 2013
D stigma attached 2being fat in our society is even enough 4somebody 2be thinking low of oneself. But my candid advice is love urself, neverdless, exercise and eating right is encouraged.
Re: How To Stop Obsessing Over Your Body Image And Beat Negative Thoughts. by herkeym001(m): 12:49pm On Oct 16, 2013
Re: How To Stop Obsessing Over Your Body Image And Beat Negative Thoughts. by herkeym001(m): 12:50pm On Oct 16, 2013
Am at Maraba, ilorin.

1 Like

Re: How To Stop Obsessing Over Your Body Image And Beat Negative Thoughts. by 4reigningqueen: 12:53pm On Oct 16, 2013
hhhhhhhmmmmm
Re: How To Stop Obsessing Over Your Body Image And Beat Negative Thoughts. by iamswizz(m): 12:54pm On Oct 16, 2013
ok
Re: How To Stop Obsessing Over Your Body Image And Beat Negative Thoughts. by Nobody: 12:56pm On Oct 16, 2013
herkeym001: Am at Maraba, ilorin.
...and how does it concern me?? :/

2 Likes

Re: How To Stop Obsessing Over Your Body Image And Beat Negative Thoughts. by imsuboi(m): 12:59pm On Oct 16, 2013
nice tips kiss
Re: How To Stop Obsessing Over Your Body Image And Beat Negative Thoughts. by Csami(m): 12:59pm On Oct 16, 2013
Re: How To Stop Obsessing Over Your Body Image And Beat Negative Thoughts. by Deiok(m): 1:00pm On Oct 16, 2013
Nice write up. Who wrote this must have face these problems before. Reading it is easy, but trying to live by it, is hard part.

2 Likes

Re: How To Stop Obsessing Over Your Body Image And Beat Negative Thoughts. by kinky90(f): 1:03pm On Oct 16, 2013
;DTap like if u finished de post

2 Likes

Re: How To Stop Obsessing Over Your Body Image And Beat Negative Thoughts. by OkikiOluwa1(m): 1:08pm On Oct 16, 2013
Noted.
Honeybabs19: D stigma attached 2being fat in our society is even enough 4somebody 2be thinking low of oneself. But my candid advice is love urself, neverdless, exercise and eating right is encouraged.
r u a fat lady?
Re: How To Stop Obsessing Over Your Body Image And Beat Negative Thoughts. by abubaka101: 1:08pm On Oct 16, 2013
I think this is one of the best "How to's" posted on Nairaland.
I attributed this article to not just a negative thought abt appearance but to the idea of negativity in general. I now feel much liberated emotionally.

2 Likes

Re: How To Stop Obsessing Over Your Body Image And Beat Negative Thoughts. by Nobody: 1:09pm On Oct 16, 2013
Enough of KAI-KAI taking will do alot of help. Dat stuff helps me alot. If you see me naw, you go think say i be under 13. Even my KOBOKO self come huge and long.
Re: How To Stop Obsessing Over Your Body Image And Beat Negative Thoughts. by sheblayze(f): 1:15pm On Oct 16, 2013
The only thing that worries me is my height. Although I hear petite is the new sexy. I just want to add 3 inches.

BTW...did you jazz seun? All your posts are making FP. What's the secret lol? Following you sharply.

FInally, HBD to me, my twin and everyone born on oct 16th.

6 Likes

Re: How To Stop Obsessing Over Your Body Image And Beat Negative Thoughts. by teey2(f): 1:16pm On Oct 16, 2013
Very true. Sometimes I have this problem too and then I remember life is too short to be sad all the time. Live life and be good yourself. I think most people will stop overeating and being fat if they listen to their bodies rather than what other people say that when they fail, they fall way back and get even fatter. When you love yourself, you'll do what's right and show your body some love.
Re: How To Stop Obsessing Over Your Body Image And Beat Negative Thoughts. by sheblayze(f): 1:16pm On Oct 16, 2013
The only thing that worries me is my height. Although I hear petite is the new sexy. I just want to add 3 inches.

BTW...did you jazz seun? All your posts are making FP. What's the secret lol? Following you sharply.

FInally, HBD to me, my twin and everyone born on oct 16th. cheesy cheesy cheesy

2 Likes

Re: How To Stop Obsessing Over Your Body Image And Beat Negative Thoughts. by Datruggedman: 1:17pm On Oct 16, 2013
slim-ness is next to ......
Re: How To Stop Obsessing Over Your Body Image And Beat Negative Thoughts. by Sermwell(m): 1:18pm On Oct 16, 2013
Y
Re: How To Stop Obsessing Over Your Body Image And Beat Negative Thoughts. by Nobody: 1:20pm On Oct 16, 2013
Re: How To Stop Obsessing Over Your Body Image And Beat Negative Thoughts. by Phalldhe: 1:22pm On Oct 16, 2013
Its just the right state of mind coupled with approriate exercise and needed diet that really matter in this case.
Re: How To Stop Obsessing Over Your Body Image And Beat Negative Thoughts. by Tbken: 1:24pm On Oct 16, 2013
Nice one,me na pot belle dey wori me + anada hmm
Re: How To Stop Obsessing Over Your Body Image And Beat Negative Thoughts. by lafuria1(m): 1:30pm On Oct 16, 2013
I don't worry about things I can't change, like height.
Blame it on TV and celebrity who tells you what is ideal and what is not for their financial gains.
I really get upset when I see ladies that are not fat bee on diet.
Anyway it boils down to self esteem and confidence.
Re: How To Stop Obsessing Over Your Body Image And Beat Negative Thoughts. by MAYOWAAK: 1:38pm On Oct 16, 2013
Hmm, the minds of men.

6 Likes

Re: How To Stop Obsessing Over Your Body Image And Beat Negative Thoughts. by Nobody: 1:40pm On Oct 16, 2013
Datruggedman: slim-ness is next to ......
sexiness
Re: How To Stop Obsessing Over Your Body Image And Beat Negative Thoughts. by KKImoh: 1:41pm On Oct 16, 2013
tee-y@:
Very true. Sometimes I have this problem too and then I remember life is too short to be sad all the time. Live life and be good yourself. I think most people will stop overeating and being fat if they listen to their bodies rather than what other people say that when they fail, they fall way back and get even fatter. When you love yourself, you'll do what's right and show your body some love.
wit yr babyish cute face ,small eyes, c'mon sexy, dnt go about reading fashion mags. U'r just beautiful.,

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Coping With Pregnancy & Fibroids / Collapsed Water Tank Kills Woman, Nine-Day-Old Child In Ondo / Nafdac Arrest Man With Fake Drugs Worth N40million In Asaba

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.