Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,090 members, 7,807,257 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 11:39 AM

Outstanding Public Officers In Nigeria Since 1999 - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Outstanding Public Officers In Nigeria Since 1999 (23865 Views)

PanamaPapers Exposes Enrico Monfrini, Nigerian Public Officers May Be Prosecuted / ADCs Of The President Of Nigeria Since 1999. / Law To Ban Overseas Education For Wards Of Public Officers Underway (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Outstanding Public Officers In Nigeria Since 1999 by Gbawe: 7:48pm On Oct 02, 2013
ketoprofen:

ok.
But we are not discussing plans here.
We are talking of tnz on ground.

He has actually put a lot on the ground. I did not mention them because we would be here all day. This is well-known about Amosun so no need to hijack the thread and make it about him.
Re: Outstanding Public Officers In Nigeria Since 1999 by Positiveminds(m): 7:49pm On Oct 02, 2013
I know this isn't the right place for this but forgive me:

There are openings for the post of
1. Internal Auditor
2. General Manager
in a reputable hospitality company in Abuja. Both positions require a minimum of 5 years work experience. Working knowledge of Ms documents and internet is compulsory.
Only qualified candidates should forward their cv to nwokoedwin@yahoo.com

Deadline is October 4, 2013.
Re: Outstanding Public Officers In Nigeria Since 1999 by Afam4eva(m): 7:51pm On Oct 02, 2013
Gbawe:

He has actually put a lot on the ground. I did not mention them because we would be here all day. This is well-known about Amosun so no need to hijack the thread and make it about him.
The thread is about public officers and what they have done and that is on ground and not what they will do. I think it's too early to put Amosun in the mix. I think it's an insult on people who have spent years revolutionizing where they found themselves.

@topic
Let's not forget Madam Due process, Oby Ezekwesili. That woman has so much passion exuding from her.

1 Like

Re: Outstanding Public Officers In Nigeria Since 1999 by mikanju: 7:53pm On Oct 02, 2013
Well is high time we shift focus from celebrating Nigerian leaders to celebrating our African leaders.Join black americans on this page called Blacks Across The World-https://m.facebook.com/Blacksacrosstheworld?refid=48&ref=stream
Re: Outstanding Public Officers In Nigeria Since 1999 by lacosanostra: 7:56pm On Oct 02, 2013
Sullivan Chime,Enugu State Governor

3 Likes

Re: Outstanding Public Officers In Nigeria Since 1999 by Nobody: 7:57pm On Oct 02, 2013

4 Likes

Re: Outstanding Public Officers In Nigeria Since 1999 by Gbawe: 8:03pm On Oct 02, 2013
Afam4eva:
The thread is about public officers and what they have done and that is on ground and not what they will do. I think it's too early to put Amosun in the mix. I think it's an insult on people who have spent years revolutionizing where they found themselves.

@topic
Let's not forget Madam Due process, Oby Ezekwesili. That woman has so much passion exuding from her.

Come on dude. Stop the mischief and dishonesty. You are a mod here and has seen many threads where the massive infrastructural achievements of Amosun has been revealed here so let us stop all this obsession with bare-faced mischief because I mentioned some of his "plans".

Even those who are not fans of the ACN/APC yet know Ogun State admit to the sheer massive scale of the ongoing work in Ogun State and I don't see what purpose it serves to deny what you cannot be ignorant of. Ask Ogun folks under 30 if they remember ever seeing this scale of work in the past.

This is how you always succeed to cause offence i.e using sheer ignorance to belittle what others have achieved because of your personal bias. Amosun, by any standard you want to use, has revolutionised the affairs of Ogun State especially with Infrastructure everyone can see an feel on a scale many still find hard to believe. You are the same person shown the extensive and comprehensive transport effort of Amosun taking in a BRT system and new taxis yet you still come here feigning ignorant deceitfully to be talking of "what is on ground". Na wa for you sha because I don't know any Nairalander, even the openly bigoted ones, as dishonest as you are.

https://www.nairaland.com/1378086/pictures-massive-construction-work-ogun

2 Likes

Re: Outstanding Public Officers In Nigeria Since 1999 by Okonjoiweala(f): 8:03pm On Oct 02, 2013
@ o.p, i can't find my name on the List.
U're not dreaming! you Dreamt.
Re: Outstanding Public Officers In Nigeria Since 1999 by agbameta: 8:05pm On Oct 02, 2013
anienge001:

So all the school intervention in the state are not visible to you? How many new hospitals have been built in AKS between 2007 and now? Agreed he is not using his personal money and that is what he went there to do in 1st place. But for U to say it is only 'a handful roads' either shows U've not been to AKS or U are totally biased. Even if it were only roads, if all the administrations had each done a handful of roads, by now there would no more roads to construct. The present administration would concentrate on other areas.

When U say manpower development, I want to be enlighten on what it means.

I think the genuine items on your list are food/agriculture and security. Be objective when criticizing!!

The best and the most intelligent way to address my post is to prove me wrong by showing us exactly what he has done apart from the handful of roads, also prove to us that governance starts and ends with the handful of roads. Also, show us his achievements in healthcare infrastructure, education, security, housing, water, skills acquisition training, state institutions.

Yes, he entered office in 2007 and with the largest state budgets in Nigeria, there should be way more on the ground than just some roads and uncompleted projects.
Re: Outstanding Public Officers In Nigeria Since 1999 by Afam4eva(m): 8:07pm On Oct 02, 2013
Gbawe:

Come on dude. Stop the mischief and dishonesty. You are a mod here and has seen many threads where the massive infrastructural achievements of Amosun has been revealed here so let us stop all this obsession with bare-faced mischief because I mentioned some of his "plans".

Even those who are not fans of the ACN/APC yet know Ogun State admit to the sheer massive scale of the ongoing work in Ogun State and I don't see what purpose it serves to deny what you cannot be ignorant of. Ask Ogun folks under 30 if they remember ever seeing this scale of work in the past.

https://www.nairaland.com/1378086/pictures-massive-construction-work-ogun

Is that enough to include him in a list that spans over a decade? He's doing some projects, all well and good but is he the only one undergoing such projects. We're talking of people like Fashola who caused a revolution in their respective field and not a governor that's still trying to bring to fruition his vision.

6 Likes

Re: Outstanding Public Officers In Nigeria Since 1999 by Gbawe: 8:15pm On Oct 02, 2013
Afam4eva:
I[b]s that enough to include him in a list that spans over a decade?[/b] He's doing some projects, all well and good but is he the only one undergoing such projects. We're talking of people like Fashola who caused a revolution in their respective field and not a governor that's still trying to bring to fruition his vision.

Stop this garbage dude. You do this all the time and it is an exponent of your patent dishonesty and bias. First you insinuate he has "nothing on the ground" when that was dealt with you attempt disqualifying him from being considered because, according to your shallow mind, others have 'paid their dues' courtesy of being public administrator longer than Amosun

What does time span have to do with judging the efficacy of a leader? OP said since any leader since 1999 and what Amosun has done since 2011 is unprecedented in Ogun, to stakeholders, and puts him, in real terms, at the top as far as 'on ground' delivery over the same period of time in comparison with any governor. Of course even a child knows that years in office only gives more time to judge administrators by yet has no bearing in judging achievement. Amosun has now been in office long enough for everyone to see and feel his impact everywhere.

2 Likes

Re: Outstanding Public Officers In Nigeria Since 1999 by Nobody: 8:17pm On Oct 02, 2013
Oshiomhole deserve to be on that list. If not for Him i wont be proud to be an Edo Person
Re: Outstanding Public Officers In Nigeria Since 1999 by sarutobie(m): 8:18pm On Oct 02, 2013
Gbawe:

Stop this garbage dude. You do this all the time and it is an exponent of your patent dishonesty and bias. What does time span have to do with judging the efficacy of a leader? OP said since 1999 and what Amosun has done is unprecedented and puts him, in real terms, at the top as far as 'on ground' delivery over the same period of time in comparison with any governor. Of course even a child knows that years in office only gives more time to judge administrators by yet has no bearing in judging achievement. Amosun has now been in office long enough for everyone to see and feel his impact everywhere.
Oga don't derail this thread with epistles and bickerings..

4 Likes

Re: Outstanding Public Officers In Nigeria Since 1999 by Afam4eva(m): 8:19pm On Oct 02, 2013
Gbawe:

Stop this garbage dude. You do this all the time and it is an exponent of your patent dishonesty and bias. What does time span have to do with judging the efficacy of a leader? OP said since 1999 and what Amosun has done is unprecedented and puts him, in real terms, at the top as far as 'on ground' delivery over the same period of time in comparison with any governor. Of course even a child knows that years in office only gives more time to judge administrators by yet has no bearing in judging achievement. Amosun has now been in office long enough for everyone to see and feel his impact everywhere.
What has Amosun done in that unprecedented in Nigeria? Maybe you mean Ogun state. I believe he has tried when you compare him with his predecessors but it's not something that will make him mentioned in the same sentence as Fashola, El Rufai, Akunyili, Akpabio etc. I think it's an insult on this people for a governor who's trying honestly to develop his state to be compared with them. It's not done.
Re: Outstanding Public Officers In Nigeria Since 1999 by Gbawe: 8:23pm On Oct 02, 2013
sarutobie:
Oga don't derail this thread with epistles and bickerings..

Give it a rest. Why don't you advice the right poster against bickering and obtrusiveness? Do you see me attempting to discredit anyone's choice or is it that others attempted to discredit Amosun to the point I was forces to correct that? The bias and pettiness of some of you, that you carry from thread to thread, is so horribly transparent. You should be telling Afam4eva to endorse his choice and perhaps say why instead of him spending his time here trying to discredit those others choose.

On a subjective thread like this, it is important folks understand that no one is a dictatorial judge on who qualifies and who does not. Best to nominate your personal choice, perhaps illustrate their achievements, and leave it at that.
Re: Outstanding Public Officers In Nigeria Since 1999 by emiye(m): 8:25pm On Oct 02, 2013
Gbawe:

Indeed. Aside his huge achievements already in infrastructure in a short period, his urban regeneration plan is laudable. His brand new Abeokuta flagship town development project is really ambitious and impressive. One of the best on show in Nigeria currently behind the likes of Eko Atlantic City.

The plans for the light rail network throughout Ogun, which Lagos alone boast simila as far as I knowr, is also an example of a very transformational achievement capable of vastly changing the productivity, efficacy and way of life of a people. One only needs to visit London, Paris, New York et al to appreciate the important of modular/linked rail transport. Amosun certainly deserves a mention and I expect Ogun State to be vastly transformed for the better by the end of his tenure.

I also commend him in his drive to increased the IGR of Ogun state in a space of 2 years from less than 800 million naira to 4 billion Naira monthly

1 Like

Re: Outstanding Public Officers In Nigeria Since 1999 by sarutobie(m): 8:27pm On Oct 02, 2013
Gbawe:

Give it a rest. Why don't you advice the right poster against bickering and obtrusiveness? Do you see me attempting to discredit anyone's choice or is it that others attempted to discredit Amosun to the point I was forces to correct that? The bias of some of you is so horribly transparent. You should be telling Afam4eva to endorse his choice and perhaps say why instead of him spending his time here trying to discredit those others choose.

On a subjective thread like this, it is important folks understand that no one is a dictatorial judge on who qualifies and who does not. Best to nominate your personal choice and leave it at that.
Afam is entitled to his opinion..and so is the OP.this is a subjective thread..don't try to force your view down anybody's throat..there are other threads for that..

3 Likes

Re: Outstanding Public Officers In Nigeria Since 1999 by Afam4eva(m): 8:28pm On Oct 02, 2013
Gbawe:

Give it a rest. Why don't you advice the right poster against bickering and obtrusiveness? Do you see me attempting to discredit anyone's choice or is it that others attempted to discredit Amosun to the point I was forces to correct that? The bias and pettiness of some of you, that you carry from thread to thread, is so horribly transparent. You should be telling Afam4eva to endorse his choice and perhaps say why instead of him spending his time here trying to discredit those others choose.

On a subjective thread like this, it is important folks understand that no one is a dictatorial judge on who qualifies and who does not. Best to nominate your personal choice, perhaps illustrate their achievements, and leave it at that.
I respect your personal opinion and i'm not taking that away. I'm only making my personal opinion about your own personal opinion known. We can always agree to disagree. if you noticed, apart from Duke, fashola and maybe Akpabio, i didn't think any governor deserved to make the list. Not even Chime or Amaechi.
Re: Outstanding Public Officers In Nigeria Since 1999 by Okonjoiweala(f): 8:31pm On Oct 02, 2013
In the finance sector, my outstanding efforts can neva be over-emphasized!

1 Like

Re: Outstanding Public Officers In Nigeria Since 1999 by Nobody: 8:33pm On Oct 02, 2013
Afam4eva:
The thing surprise me oo. Aregbesola ke? I didn't even see Fashola on the list.
Eye dey pain you?
Re: Outstanding Public Officers In Nigeria Since 1999 by lonelypal(m): 8:35pm On Oct 02, 2013
lertee: O well this is a subjective opinion of the OP so it is cool..
..but personally,I would commend Professor Attairu Jega (for bringing sanity to INEC) and professor Dora Akunyili (for her impact on NAFDAC) these are the best two. I heard Goodswill Akpabio too tried for his state.

Funny how u criticise d OP for coming up with a subjective view and yet yours aint different anyway
Re: Outstanding Public Officers In Nigeria Since 1999 by murtalaa(m): 8:35pm On Oct 02, 2013
If nigeria was a decent country like China, half the people on this list will be facing firing squad and the other half, languishing in jail.

Did you put Soludo to balance the Federal character, by the way?
Re: Outstanding Public Officers In Nigeria Since 1999 by Oguieke(m): 8:36pm On Oct 02, 2013
peter obi is the worse governor anambra has ever had, just go to major areas like onitsha u will confirm what am saying. meanwhile we generaly have very uncaring leaders, so going by the resources we have in this country non of our leader is doing well, we are just trying to cover up since we don't have choice.

1 Like

Re: Outstanding Public Officers In Nigeria Since 1999 by phaatiade: 8:37pm On Oct 02, 2013
d way some people analyse issues just cant stop baffling me.
akwa ibom state receives more revenue than several northern states combined! for a state with 2-3million peeps he shd b investigated fornot doing enough. and here hes about to enter best governors list?!
nawa o....
was dis not d guy dat sponsored 20 govt guests to attend 2 face wedding in dubai at taxpayers expense. Good Lord!!!
Re: Outstanding Public Officers In Nigeria Since 1999 by lertee(f): 8:38pm On Oct 02, 2013
lonelypal:
Funny how u criticise d OP for coming up with a subjective view and yet yours aint different anyway
Can you point out the criticism in my post?
Do you need to check a dictionary for the word “subjective”
Re: Outstanding Public Officers In Nigeria Since 1999 by Gbawe: 8:39pm On Oct 02, 2013
Afam4eva:
What has Amosun done in that unprecedented in Nigeria? Maybe you mean Ogun state.
Of course I mean Ogun State. You don't seem to understand that you cannot introduce discrimination into this. This is about achievers who have delivered for those they are responsible for serving. It could even be a local Government chairman who has performed extraordinarily. Maybe you don't understand that prominence/fame or federal level appointment is not the issue here.

I believe he has tried when you compare him with his predecessors but it's not something that will make him mentioned in the same sentence as Fashola, El Rufai, Akunyili, Akpabio etc. I think it's an insult on this people for a governor who's trying honestly to develop his state to be compared with them. It's not done.

Why not? Are Akpabio and Fashola not Governors like Amosun with a core brief of first leading effectively on behalf of their citizens at State level? If this is the case and you agree so, how is Amosun then deficient to them? As a measure of percentage rise, how many Governor can match Amosun's achievement of IGR increment? Probably only Fashola with many who have been in office longer than him being ordinary in that regard !!! Pray tell the forum what is unremarkable about a Governor setting an example over what we all say is one of the most important things for governors to do i.e raise more internally to develop Nigerian States with. How many Governors have achieved what is revealed below considering we say we want Governors to finance themselves more?

http://ogunstate.gov.ng/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=150:the-governors-address-at-the-investors-forum-2012&catid=35:business-in-ogun-state&Itemid=103

Our Administration has increased the State's IGR from the paltry N730M to N2B within a period of months, excluding revenues from land transactions.

Regarding El Rufai and Akunyili, they had their core brief of responsibility to certain stakeholders. Akunyili was exemplary and a pioneer to those she served which happened to be all Nigerians because of her job as NAFDAC boss. Some in Ogun may argue same about Amosun and this is the point. It is those who have delivered for their respective stakeholders who deserve to be on the list. I cannot see how logically and factually Amosun is less qaulified in this regard in comparison to Fashola, Akpabio et al.
Re: Outstanding Public Officers In Nigeria Since 1999 by comrChris(m): 8:41pm On Oct 02, 2013
Jarus: To me, Fashola is the best public officer Nigeria has produced since return to civil rule in 1999

Others that posted (post) decent performance (by our low standard in Nigeria), by my reckoning:

1, Umaru Yar'adua (reversal of VAT, refinery sale, price hike, asset declaration etc)
2, Barth Nnaji (decent effort in power reforms)
3, Sule Lamido (good capital projects efforts, even if a bad politician)
4, Rotimi Ameachi (Decent capital projects efforts in his state)
5, Godswill Akpaebo ( Even if I don't like his politics, I admit he tried for his state. I've been to his state; best raod network of all the about Nigerian states I have visited)
6, Nasir el-Rufai (Not his biggest fan either, but I salute his efforts in FCT)
7, Nuhu Ribadu (You can argue he was selective, but you can't argue his victims were innocent. Plus he returned $15m Ibori bribe)
8, Lamido Sanusi (I commend his work in CBN)
9, Charles Soludo (His attention to ethics may be questionable, but you can't fault his achievement in terms of strenghtening our financial system)
10. Attahiru Bafarawa (I served in Sokoto state,and msut confess he did well for hsi people in terms of capital projects. Good roads everywhere)
11, Rauf Aregbesola (You can fault his politics - can be loud-mouthed, intervening in what doesn't concern him - but you can hardly deny his commitment to the uplift of his people. I was in Osun in August and the whole state looked like one big construction yard, road projects everywhere, despite meagre resources)
12, Ifeuko Omoigui (Decent and silent reform in FIRS; enlarged revenue base for Nigeria)
13, Donald Duke: Decent performance, mature leader

These are the guys I can give pass mark (50%) of all the public officers (elected or appointed) since 1999. There are others I have herad or read about (e.g Kayode Fayemi, Rochas Okorocha, Peter Obi), but I'm not convinced yet.

Strictly my opinion as a watcher of events in the country.
can't believe this op is mentioning fayemis projects as laudable,well l
respect him for repainting ado roalds n planting grasses n flowers on roads that doesn't worth it,to be honest l ve being to ekiti n recently l was in abakaliki l tell u there r many laudle project with huge money liki ochudo city,international mrkt,dualization of abakaliki to ogoja rd,ofaru/ukawu water schemen,staff development centre,international conference centre,36 unity bridges n roalds in rural areas,rehabilitation of all the major hospitals in the state,building of many schools including girls technical schools in the three senatorial zones of the state,building of 3 modern rice mill in that state n the list continue,,,,,,,pls op no offenceooo but remove fayemi or put elechi n others there too
Re: Outstanding Public Officers In Nigeria Since 1999 by Afam4eva(m): 8:43pm On Oct 02, 2013
Gbawe:
Why not? Are Akpabio and Fashola not Governors like Amosun with a core brief of first leading effectively on behalf of their citizens at State level? If this is the case and you agree so, how is Amosun then deficient to them? As a percentage rise, how many Governor can match Amosun's achievement of IGR increment? Probably only Fashola with many who have been in office longer than him being ordinary in that regard !!! Pray tell the forum what is unremarkable about a Governor setting an example over what we all say is one of the most important things for governors to do i.e raise more internally to develop Nigerian States with.

Regarding El Rufai and Akunyili, they had their core brief of responsibility to certain stakehodlers. Precisely same as Amosun. It is those who have delivered for their respective stakeholders who deserve to be on the list. I cannot see how logicallya nd factually Amosun is less qaulified in this regard in comparison to Fashola, Akpabio et al.
Like i said, Amosun barely just got there. He doesn't have any project that is what mentioning. Pls don't say BRT. That's where Fashola and Akpabio actually beat him. Actually, i wouldn't say beat because to be fair to Amosun, Fashola and Akpabio have spent almost 2 tenures while Amosun has barely kicked off. Let's give him more years before comparing him with these folks and possibly including his name on a list like this. My personal opinion though.
Re: Outstanding Public Officers In Nigeria Since 1999 by Nobody: 8:43pm On Oct 02, 2013
Gbawe:
Of course I mean Ogun State. You don't seem to understand that you cannot introduce discrimination into this. This is about achievers who have delivered for those they are responsible for serving. It could even be a local Government chairman who has performed extraordinarily. Maybe you don't understand that prominence/fame or federal level appointment is not the issue here.

Why not? Are Akpabio and Fashola not Governors like Amosun with a core brief of first leading effectively on behalf of their citizens at State level? If this is the case and you agree so, how is Amosun then deficient to them? As a measure of percentage rise, how many Governor can match Amosun's achievement of IGR increment? Probably only Fashola with many who have been in office longer than him being ordinary in that regard !!! Pray tell the forum what is unremarkable about a Governor setting an example over what we all say is one of the most important things for governors to do i.e raise more internally to develop Nigerian States with.

Regarding El Rufai and Akunyili, they had their core brief of responsibility to certain stakehodlers. Precisely same as Amosun. It is those who have delivered for their respective stakeholders who deserve to be on the list. I cannot see how logicallya nd factually Amosun is less qaulified in this regard in comparison to Fashola, Akpabio et al.

Bros Amosun should not make the list we have had even Governors like chime,lamido and Amaechi that are better than him yet they did not make the list.Amosun is not exceptional e is just there.
Re: Outstanding Public Officers In Nigeria Since 1999 by Afam4eva(m): 8:45pm On Oct 02, 2013
chukwudi44:

Bros Amosun should not make the list we have had even Governors like chime,lamido and Amaechi that are better than him yet they did not make the list.Amosun is not exceptional e is just there.
My point exactly.
Re: Outstanding Public Officers In Nigeria Since 1999 by phaatiade: 8:46pm On Oct 02, 2013
back to op,
akunyili, oshiomole n ribadu shd definitely make ur list!!!
infact anybody's list

NB.. i like d fact dat u incl UMYA. such a goodman he was changing some fundamental flaws in naija system. hes one of our best.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

2019 Election: Why Buhari Will Conveniently Win – Oshiomhole / Garba Shehu: Buhari Sees What Nigerians Don’t See About Service Chiefs / IGP Charges Police Officers To Marry Each Other

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.