Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,176 members, 7,780,232 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 11:11 AM

Giant Hornets Kill 41 People In China - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Giant Hornets Kill 41 People In China (705 Views)

Drunk Naval Officer Shoots 3 People In Lagos / Boy With Giant Hand Found Begging On Lagos Street (Graphic Photos) / Doctors Performed C-section On 41-week Pregnant Woman But Found No Baby (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Giant Hornets Kill 41 People In China by merengue: 9:27am On Oct 03, 2013
http://edition.cnn.com/2013/10/03/world/asia/hornet-attack-china/index.html?on.cnn=1&hpt=hp_c3

A A A (resize font)
Hong Kong (CNN) - Swarms of aggressive hornets, in their fall mating season, are inflicting a deadly toll in a central Chinese province.

Hornets have killed 41 people and injured 1,675 people in three cities in Shaanxi province since July, according to the local government. Thirty-seven patients remain in critical or serious condition.

Over the summer and early fall, giant hornets have invaded schools full of children and descended upon unsuspecting farm workers.

One of them is Mu Conghui, a woman who was attacked in Ankang City while looking after her millet crop.

"The hornets were horrifying," she told Xinhua, the Chinese state-run news agency. "They hit right at my head and covered my legs. All of a sudden I was stung and I couldn't move.

"Even now, my legs are covered with sting holes."

Two months, 13 dialysis treatments and 200 stitches later, Mu still remains hospitalized and unable to move her legs.

The influx of venom to the human body can cause allergic reactions and multiple organ failure leading to death. Patients like Mu have been receiving dialysis to remove the toxins from her body. In photos, patients bore deep dark craters scattered across their limbs, the size of bullet wounds.

Government authorities say these attacks are from a particularly venomous species, the world's largest hornet, known as the Asian giant hornet or vespa mandarinia.

The giant hornet extends about 3.5 to 3.9 centimeters in length, roughly the size of a human thumb. It has an orange head with a black tooth used for burrowing, according to an animal database at the University of Michigan.

CNN's Madison Park wrote and reported from Hong Kong, Dayu Zhang reported from
Re: Giant Hornets Kill 41 People In China by Omexonomy: 9:33am On Oct 03, 2013
Everything na made in china
Re: Giant Hornets Kill 41 People In China by kingofpool: 9:58am On Oct 03, 2013
I knw that somday am gonna
make
it.....for God
liveth.....i knw u ll be wonderin why am sayin
this, well hia is my reason......God gave me life t
his infinite mercy,even though am a sinner......and gave his only son for my course.......2day is 3rd
day of october , i neva bliv dat i ll eva be the
1stux tu commentux this month....but hia i am
singin glory to the lord.....for the life nd gud
health he gave to me nd my family
members....nokia for havin dey awesome nd gr8 innovative experience to produce nokia E71 wit
gr8 feature and supperb browsin quality....to mtn
for notin disappointin me wit dia network
2day....to nepa cos i heard they are on strike but
not in my area cos they gave us light since
tuesday witout blinkin.....to my mama for givin birth to me(mama am gonna make u proud........like
2day)....to my papa for marryin my mum nd
injectin the super wonderful sperm in her dat
gyve raise to me....to seun for kumin out wit gr8
dream like nl.....I pray that the lord who started
all this ll neva make us see bad market this october.....nd for him to bless my felo nl members
@op... I luv this.......... I luv y'all Pls like my
post.....
Re: Giant Hornets Kill 41 People In China by twogood: 10:33am On Oct 03, 2013
If you truly read to the END of this post, at the TIME you did, i believe you'ld agree that THINGS like these are scary.
Can you imagine this in Naija?
It's not our portion.

(1) (Reply)

What Are You Addicted To? / What are The Causes Of Under-perfomance In Men? / 30 Ways To Protect Your Spam

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.