Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,582 members, 7,809,111 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:31 PM

A Thread For Catholics - Religion (177) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / A Thread For Catholics (516931 Views)

Mary's Command For Catholics / Message Of God For Catholics And Jehovah Witnesses- Sister Linda Testimony / For Catholics: Who Is Your Favorite Saint? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (174) (175) (176) (177) (178) (179) (180) ... (505) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Thread For Catholics by debbie(f): 9:50am On Aug 18, 2014
I have few questions to ask ooooo based on the readings smiley

By Obeying the whole commandments is it enough to guarantee one salvation? could it be that most Christians have been living their lives based on a checklist?
How can one get rid of those possessions that may hinder us from accepting the gift of salvation given to us?
Could it be that Jesus Christ knew all the answers the man was going to give,before he asked the seemingly hard question?
Re: A Thread For Catholics by MrAladin: 9:51am On Aug 18, 2014
good morning house.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Mzflexydeeva(f): 7:24pm On Aug 18, 2014
Good evening house: hope every1 is good? I still love this great family of God.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by MariaGoretti: 11:56pm On Aug 18, 2014
Umunne m, how una dey?
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Kamsified: 1:14am On Aug 19, 2014
striktlymi:

Cool!

#Sorry, slept off last night.
Thanks dear
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Nobody: 7:30am On Aug 19, 2014
MariaGoretti: Umunne m, how una dey?

Hmm
Re: A Thread For Catholics by MariaGoretti: 8:14am On Aug 19, 2014
FrancisTony:

Hmm
Wetin happen? Person mess?
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Nobody: 9:07am On Aug 19, 2014
MariaGoretti:
Wetin happen? Person mess?

Lol. Longest time.

You went on sabbatical leave.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Rich4god(m): 11:11am On Aug 19, 2014
Mzflexydeeva: Good evening house: hope every1 is good? I still love this great family of God.
Look who is back... Where have you been...? Hope you are ok...
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Rich4god(m): 11:12am On Aug 19, 2014
MrAladin: good morning house.
Kamsified.... You knw why the landlord is greeting us...
Re: A Thread For Catholics by MariaGoretti: 12:57pm On Aug 19, 2014
FrancisTony:

Lol. Longest time.

You went on sabbatical leave.
Nairaland messed with all my cherished accounts and left me with this one
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Nobody: 1:20pm On Aug 19, 2014
MariaGoretti:
Nairaland messed with all my cherished accounts and left me with this one

Ohk. Ndoo

but, you haven't been frequent here before the tsunami.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by SalC: 2:19pm On Aug 19, 2014
Who dey house?
Re: A Thread For Catholics by SalC: 2:21pm On Aug 19, 2014
debbie: I have few questions to ask ooooo based on the readings smiley

By Obeying the whole commandments is it enough to guarantee one salvation? could it be that most Christians have been living their lives based on a checklist?
How can one get rid of those possessions that may hinder us from accepting the gift of salvation given to us?
Could it be that Jesus Christ knew all the answers the man was going to give,before he asked the seemingly hard question?

When we talk about obeying the whole commandment today, our mind quickly race back to ten commandment, but then I am of the opinion that the commandment of God goes beyond the ten commandment.

For instance, Jesus telling the young man to sell all his belongings and follow him too is a commandment.

There are also other commandments which when adequately looked at are all embedded in the supreme commandment Love God and love one another

How then can we love God if we do not believe in him? Can we love God and yet not accept him?

So you see obeying the commandment of God also involve loving him and accepting him as our Lord and saviour, only then will obedience to the commandment of God be complete and that's what our salvation requires.

But for someone who sees the commandment as different from believing in Jesus Christ or one who thinks believing in Jesus Christ is not part of the whole commandment, obeying the commandment isn't enough to ensure salvation.

In all, I believe It depends on one's understanding of the whole commandment

On if Christians or some christians are living their lives based on checklists, I would say, an un examined life is not worth living. No matter how we look at it, a christian is not permitted to live a laissez faire life, otherwise what will differentiate us from those who are of the world?

In every kingdom, there are principles governing those who belong there and christendom is not an exception. And each person is expected to conform to the principles of the kingdom where he/she belongs.

Getting rid of the things that can hinder us from entering the kingdom of heaven involves first identifying what it is, making effort to let go of them, being determined and not give up when we try and fail but most importantly it takes God's grace to aid us get rid of it.

I may or may not know if Jesus knew what the young man's answer would be, but since we believe he is God and omniscient, can't we then say yes?

But whether the answer is yes or no, the most important thing is that Jesus used that scenario to show us the dangers of clinging to our earthly acquisitions and possessions. He simply proved to us that to adequately serve God, we mustn't consider the things we have acquired in life but should be willing to let go of them for the sake of God's kingdom.

That lesson of that passage will be better understood if we read down to today's gospel.

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Catholics by SalC: 2:22pm On Aug 19, 2014
MrAladin: good morning house.
Oga landlord it have teyed o . *greetings*
Re: A Thread For Catholics by SalC: 2:24pm On Aug 19, 2014
Mzflexydeeva: Good evening house: hope every1 is good? I still love this great family of God.
Deeva we are fine and we love you too smiley
Re: A Thread For Catholics by SalC: 2:25pm On Aug 19, 2014
MariaGoretti: Umunne m, how una dey?
Nwanne we dey fine, longest time, hope you are good?
Re: A Thread For Catholics by IFY124(f): 3:26pm On Aug 19, 2014
SalC: Who dey house?
I dey o. Good afternoon. Anything 4 me grin
Re: A Thread For Catholics by SalC: 3:30pm On Aug 19, 2014
IFY124: I dey o. Good afternoon. Anything 4 me grin
Yes o, I bring you blessing from God. Unlimited blessing o grin how are you dear?
Re: A Thread For Catholics by IFY124(f): 3:34pm On Aug 19, 2014
SalC: Yes o, I bring you blessing from God. Unlimited blessing o grin how are you dear?
I am fine . And you? Wow!! Unlimited blessings? Every body should come for his share. I am not selfish smiley
Re: A Thread For Catholics by SalC: 3:40pm On Aug 19, 2014
IFY124: I am fine . And you? Wow!! Unlimited blessings? Every body should come for his share. I am not selfish smiley
Am cool. Lol thank God you are not o grin

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Catholics by MariaGoretti: 4:11pm On Aug 19, 2014
Momma Sal, am much ok.
and you?
Re: A Thread For Catholics by debbie(f): 4:16pm On Aug 19, 2014
@SalC,thanks for that exposition.....oya my people i dey greet! cant start calling the roaster now,just know that you are all special and blessed

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Catholics by SalC: 4:24pm On Aug 19, 2014
MariaGoretti: Momma Sal, am much ok.
and you?
Am fine, good to have you around again
Re: A Thread For Catholics by SalC: 4:27pm On Aug 19, 2014
debbie: @SalC,thanks for that exposition.....oya my people i dey greet! cant start calling the roaster now,just know that you are all special and blessed
Weldone ma smiley
Re: A Thread For Catholics by SalC: 7:52am On Aug 20, 2014
And so in honour of the name Jesus, all being in heaven, on earth and in the world below will fall on there knees and will openly proclaim that Jesus is Lord to the glory of God the father. Phil 2:10-11

With this confidence, we call on the name Jesus in the time of difficulties.

Good morning brethren and do have a fulfilled day ahead.

3 Likes

Re: A Thread For Catholics by jnrbayano(m): 8:28am On Aug 20, 2014
SalC: And so in honour of the name Jesus, all being in heaven, on earth and in the world below will fall on there knees and will openly proclaim that Jesus is Lord to the glory of God the father. Phil 2:10-11

With this confidence, we call on the name Jesus in the time of difficulties.

Good morning brethren and do have a fulfilled day ahead.

Vintage SalC.....nice day to you as well.

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Catholics by jnrbayano(m): 8:29am On Aug 20, 2014
debbie: I have few questions to ask ooooo based on the readings smiley

Sister me, I am sure SalC has done justice to this

smiley
Re: A Thread For Catholics by MrAladin: 8:50am On Aug 20, 2014
greetings from mraladin.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Nobody: 10:37am On Aug 20, 2014
wey babestell?..

Sal C,l i see you... cool
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Rich4god(m): 12:27pm On Aug 20, 2014
musKeeto: wey babestell?..

Oga musKeeto... Hope you never come suck our blood... How you dey.... Erm KinddaBlingz wia you keep dat coil wey mumsy buy, oya come do your work... Greetings everyone....
Re: A Thread For Catholics by babestell(f): 2:00pm On Aug 20, 2014
musKeeto: wey babestell?..

Am here. Anything for the Gehs??

(1) (2) (3) ... (174) (175) (176) (177) (178) (179) (180) ... (505) (Reply)

'How T.B. Joshua Took My Wife' – Pastor Peter Kayode Tells It All / The Non-Christian Chatbox ( sticky ) / Members Of Church Of Satan Meets Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.