Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,204 members, 7,807,687 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 05:29 PM

A Thread For Catholics - Religion (280) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / A Thread For Catholics (516763 Views)

Mary's Command For Catholics / Message Of God For Catholics And Jehovah Witnesses- Sister Linda Testimony / For Catholics: Who Is Your Favorite Saint? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (277) (278) (279) (280) (281) (282) (283) ... (505) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Thread For Catholics by SalC: 6:17pm On Dec 11, 2014
CalabarBoi:
mummy salc good evening smiley
How have you been dear?
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Nobody: 7:14pm On Dec 11, 2014
Rich4god:
Where my calabarGirl... Hw are you doin...
lol me sef dey find her o......Baba God hand naim i dey o
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Nobody: 7:17pm On Dec 11, 2014
SalC:
How have you been dear?

fine mum
Re: A Thread For Catholics by SalC: 9:09pm On Dec 11, 2014
CalabarBoi:
fine mum
Cool
Re: A Thread For Catholics by SalC: 6:54am On Dec 12, 2014
Do any of the worthless idols of the nations bring rain? Do the skies themselves send down showers?
No, it is you, Lord our God.  Therefore our hope is in you, for you are the one who does all this. Jer 14:22

May God who provide us with the good things of life, provide for you that which your heart desire most this day, may he shower you with the rain of favour, the rain of blessings, the rain that will cause your heart desire to be fulfilled.

Good morning brethren and do have a fulfilled day ahead smiley

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Thread For Catholics by vest(m): 7:34am On Dec 12, 2014
SalC:
Do any of the worthless idols of the nations bring rain? Do the skies themselves send down showers?
No, it is you, Lord our God.  Therefore our hope is in you, for you are the one who does all this. Jer 14:22

May God who provide us with the good things of life, provide for you that which your heart desire most this day, may he shower you with the rain of favour, the rain of blessings, the rain that will cause your heart desire to be fulfilled.

good Mawnin And I Wish U The Same
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Jennydoris(f): 7:50am On Dec 12, 2014
SalC:

May God who provide us with the good things of life, provide for you that which your heart desire most this day, may he shower you with the rain of favour, the rain of blessings, the rain that will cause your heart desire to be fulfilled. AMEN

AND MAY YOUR DAY BE TROUBLE FREE. GOOD MORNING.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Rich4god(m): 8:01am On Dec 12, 2014
Good morning everyone.... Wishing you all a wonderful day ahead.... *looking for my zing*
Re: A Thread For Catholics by italo: 8:44am On Dec 12, 2014
Assumptions!

What do you want? A new and better way to raise money for the Church and thank God, replacing the current system?

You dont know the way but you complain about them not using a new way even you dont know?

You never did anything but you concluded that it wont work?

I dont understand.
striktlymi:

What you suggest would go down this way:

Parishioner: Um....Father I have a fantastic method of raising funds for the Church that could even be better than the way harvests and bazaars are organized.

Priest: Wow my son, I am most interested to hear this novel idea.

Parishioner: *Painstakenly tries to explain his idea to the Priest.

Priest: (After 3 hours of convincing from the parishioner) Well my son you have a good idea there I must say.

Parishioner: (Over joyed) Thank you Father. I told them you are different. The Parishioners would be thrilled when they hear this idea would replace the harvest and bazaar.

Priest: (almost choking on his cough) Good heavens NO my son. Don't go about telling them that.

Parishioner: (Very confused) But Father you just agreed with the idea.

Priest: (smiling sheepishly) Of course I agreed to the idea. This idea would be more effective if it is done just before the harvest. Let's have both. It would mean more money.

Parishioner: Father I give up!
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Nobody: 9:18am On Dec 12, 2014
italo:
Assumptions!

What do you want? A new and better way to raise money for the Church and thank God, replacing the current system?

You dont know the way but you complain about them not using a new way even you dont know?

You never did anything but you concluded that it wont work?

I dont understand.

Sorry brah but you are the one making assumptions. You have no idea what efforts I have put in.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by italo: 10:10am On Dec 12, 2014
Nowhere have i assumed anything.

i have only been asking what you and unlimitedbosco have done about it.

...and till now, no answer. I even asked what he thinks a good alternative might be...no answer.

never did i say you both have done nothing.

if you have put in effort...of course its good.

Would you like to share your alternative method...if it didnt work in your parish(es), perhaps it can work in others, like mine.
striktlymi:

Sorry brah but you are the one making assumptions. You have no idea what efforts I have put in.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by vest(m): 2:00pm On Dec 12, 2014
italo:
Nowhere have i assumed anything.

i have only been asking what you and unlimitedbosco have done about it.

...and till now, no answer. I even asked what he thinks a good alternative might be...no answer.

never did i say you both have done nothing.

if you have put in effort...of course its good.

Would you like to share your alternative method...if it didnt work in your parish(es), perhaps it can work in others, like mine.
This Am Interested In
Re: A Thread For Catholics by babestell(f): 9:28am On Dec 14, 2014
vest:
This Am Interested In

Me too is interested.
But I hope he won't say we can't drink alcohol or gamble during bazaar....
Re: A Thread For Catholics by jnrbayano(m): 11:25am On Dec 14, 2014
John 3:25-36 (NKJV)

Then there arose a dispute between some of John’s disciples and the Jews about purification. And they came to John and said to him, “Rabbi, He who was with you beyond the Jordan, to whom you have testified—behold, He is baptizing, and all are coming to Him!” John answered and said, “A man can receive nothing unless it has been given to him from heaven. You yourselves bear me witness, that I said, ‘I am not the Christ,’ but, ‘I have been sent before Him.’ He who has the bride is the bridegroom; but the friend of the bridegroom, who stands and hears him, rejoices greatly because of the bridegroom’s voice. Therefore this joy of mine is fulfilled. He must increase, but I must decrease. He who comes from above is above all; he who is of the earth is earthly and speaks of the earth. He who comes from heaven is above all. And what He has seen and heard, that He testifies; and no one receives His testimony. He who has received His testimony has certified that God is true. For He whom God has sent speaks the words of God, for God does not give the Spirit by measure. The Father loves the Son, and has given all things into His hand. He who believes in the Son has everlasting life; and he who does not believe the Son shall not see life, but the wrath of God abides on him.”

John 1:19-28

Now this is the testimony of John, when the Jews sent priests and Levites from Jerusalem to ask him, “Who are you?” He confessed, and did not deny, but confessed, “I am not the Christ.” And they asked him, “What then? Are you Elijah?” He said, “I am not.” “Are you the Prophet?” And he answered, “No.” Then they said to him, “Who are you, that we may give an answer to those who sent us? What do you say about yourself?” He said: “I am ‘The voice of one crying in the wilderness: “Make straight the way of the Lord,” ’ as the prophet Isaiah said.” Now those who were sent were from the Pharisees. And they asked him, saying, “Why then do you baptize if you are not the Christ, nor Elijah, nor the Prophet?” John answered them, saying, “I baptize with water, but there stands One among you whom you do not know. It is He who, coming after me, is preferred before me, whose sandal strap I am not worthy to loose.” These things were done in Bethabara beyond the Jordan, where John was baptizing.

Matt 11:7-11

As they departed, Jesus began to say to the multitudes concerning John: “What did you go out into the wilderness to see? A reed shaken by the wind? But what did you go out to see? A man clothed in soft garments? Indeed, those who wear soft clothing are in kings’ houses. But what did you go out to see? A prophet? Yes, I say to you, and more than a prophet. For this is he of whom it is written: ‘Behold, I send My messenger before Your face, Who will prepare Your way before You.’ “Assuredly, I say to you, among those born of women there has not risen one greater than John the Baptist; but he who is least in the kingdom of heaven is greater than he.

Dear lord, please teach us never to compromise the truth no matter the circumstance.

As John the Baptist demonstrated, humility is key to speaking the truth.

May we all model St John the Baptist so we may be worthy of Jesus's confession just like he did for John.

Sancte Joannes Baptista, Ora pro nobis.

Amen.

Happy Sunday all.

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: A Thread For Catholics by Jennydoris(f): 11:30am On Dec 14, 2014
It's a Joyful Sunday...
Touch a life...
Make One or two happy...
Give someone a reason to rejoice...
And make peace with your friend/Enemy...

And above all make Christ Your Reason Of being happy....

Happy Joyful Sunday......

2 Likes

Re: A Thread For Catholics by Ubenedictus(m): 8:40pm On Dec 15, 2014
I was reading yesterday's gospel, and it struck me...John was ask "Who are you?", he knew what they wanted him to be, he knew what Isreal was waiting for, he knew!
He could have increased his prestige and become the alledged "messiahnic prophet", but he said "I am not". He didn't try to feed off their ignorance, he didn't try to make others look at him as some christ, he did try to decieve them, he was original.

"I am not", that is something that many of us are afraid to say, we are afraid to acknowlegde our weaknesses, we are afraid to agreed to our inadequacies, we do not want people to look down on us, we do not want to be worthless...so many at times we sacrifice our self identity on the altars of pride. We project a false image, we project our false selves and we live a lie.

Today as we are about to rest, let is remember that our inadequacies are a part of who we are, are weakness are the points of our transfiguration, they are a part of us. We can show others than we are damaged, we can show we are not perfect, we can show we are defecient, that we are lacking and there is something yet to be acheived. We can say "I am not...."
We can acknowledge who we are not, only then we will boldly proclaim who we are. "I am a voice crying in the wilderness", that is a powerful phrase, John knew who he was not, so well that he could now define who he was, the voice is the instrument of speech and John was the instrument of the word. He was ready to decrease and find happiness in his decrease. He will be happy till death.

Dear friends, whatever your weakness is do no hide it acknowledge it and you will be in a path of renewal. You are you, you are unique and there is only one you, you can be a better you, God wants a better you, he is committed to a better you, but he doesn't want you to be me.

Be you!

Gud evening.

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Catholics by jnrbayano(m): 9:06pm On Dec 15, 2014
Ubenedictus:

I was reading yesterday's gospel, and it struck me...John was ask "Who are you?", he knew what they wanted him to be, he knew what Isreal was waiting for, he knew!
He could have increased his prestige and become the alledged "messiahnic prophet", but he said "I am not". He didn't try to feed off their ignorance, he didn't try to make others look at him as some christ, he did try to decieve them, he was original.

"I am not", that is something that many of us are afraid to say, we are afraid to acknowlegde our weaknesses, we are afraid to agreed to our inadequacies, we do not want people to look down on us, we do not want to be worthless...so many at times we sacrifice our self identity on the altars of pride. We project a false image, we project our false selves and we live a lie.

Today as we are about to rest, let is remember that our inadequacies are a part of who we are, are weakness are the points of our transfiguration, they are a part of us. We can show others than we are damaged, we can show we are not perfect, we can show we are defecient, that we are lacking and there is something yet to be acheived. We can say "I am not...."
We can acknowledge who we are not, only then we will boldly proclaim who we are. "I am a voice crying in the wilderness", that is a powerful phrase, John knew who he was not, so well that he could now define who he was, the voice is the instrument of speech and John was the instrument of the word. He was ready to decrease and find happiness in his decrease. He will be happy till death.

Dear friends, whatever your weakness is do no hide it acknowledge it and you will be in a path of renewal. You are you, you are unique and there is only one you, you can be a better you, God wants a better you, he is committed to a better you, but he doesn't want you to be me.

Be you!

Gud evening.

This just seeped in the way Kerosine seeps into wood.

Thanks a lot.

John The Baptist just as I have said earlier remains my favourite saint, though I adore all God's saints.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by SalC: 10:56pm On Dec 15, 2014
A joyful night smiley
Re: A Thread For Catholics by italo: 8:10am On Dec 17, 2014
jnrbayano:
John 3:25-36 (NKJV)

Then there arose a dispute between some of John’s disciples and the Jews about purification. And they came to John and said to him, “Rabbi, He who was with you beyond the Jordan, to whom you have testified—behold, He is baptizing, and all are coming to Him!” John answered and said, “A man can receive nothing unless it has been given to him from heaven. You yourselves bear me witness, that I said, ‘I am not the Christ,’ but, ‘I have been sent before Him.’ He who has the bride is the bridegroom; but the friend of the bridegroom, who stands and hears him, rejoices greatly because of the bridegroom’s voice. Therefore this joy of mine is fulfilled. He must increase, but I must decrease. He who comes from above is above all; he who is of the earth is earthly and speaks of the earth. He who comes from heaven is above all. And what He has seen and heard, that He testifies; and no one receives His testimony. He who has received His testimony has certified that God is true. For He whom God has sent speaks the words of God, for God does not give the Spirit by measure. The Father loves the Son, and has given all things into His hand. He who believes in the Son has everlasting life; and he who does not believe the Son shall not see life, but the wrath of God abides on him.”

John 1:19-28

Now this is the testimony of John, when the Jews sent priests and Levites from Jerusalem to ask him, “Who are you?” He confessed, and did not deny, but confessed, “I am not the Christ.” And they asked him, “What then? Are you Elijah?” He said, “I am not.” “Are you the Prophet?” And he answered, “No.” Then they said to him, “Who are you, that we may give an answer to those who sent us? What do you say about yourself?” He said: “I am ‘The voice of one crying in the wilderness: “Make straight the way of the Lord,” ’ as the prophet Isaiah said.” Now those who were sent were from the Pharisees. And they asked him, saying, “Why then do you baptize if you are not the Christ, nor Elijah, nor the Prophet?” John answered them, saying, “I baptize with water, but there stands One among you whom you do not know. It is He who, coming after me, is preferred before me, whose sandal strap I am not worthy to loose.” These things were done in Bethabara beyond the Jordan, where John was baptizing.

Matt 11:7-11

As they departed, Jesus began to say to the multitudes concerning John: “What did you go out into the wilderness to see? A reed shaken by the wind? But what did you go out to see? A man clothed in soft garments? Indeed, those who wear soft clothing are in kings’ houses. But what did you go out to see? A prophet? Yes, I say to you, and more than a prophet. For this is he of whom it is written: ‘Behold, I send My messenger before Your face, Who will prepare Your way before You.’ “Assuredly, I say to you, among those born of women there has not risen one greater than John the Baptist; but he who is least in the kingdom of heaven is greater than he.

Dear lord, please teach us never to compromise the truth no matter the circumstance.

As John the Baptist demonstrated, humility is key to speaking the truth.

May we all model St John the Baptist so we may be worthy of Jesus's confession just like he did for John.

Sancte Joannes Baptista, Ora pro nobis.

Amen.

Happy Sunday all.

Ubenedictus:

Be you!
Gud evening.

Does it count when some people here call me Rev Fr and I say "I'm not!"
grin
Just kidding...nice write up, guys.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by babestell(f): 9:46am On Dec 17, 2014
Happy Birthday to Pope Francis.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by jnrbayano(m): 10:02am On Dec 17, 2014
italo:

grin

grin

I did "copy and paste"

embarassed cheesy
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Rich4god(m): 5:59pm On Dec 17, 2014
Greetings to everyone... Being a long time...
My zing still missing in action...

Was just thinking, new year is fast approaching. Can we have a sort of novena/prayer that will propbably run through the 1st week/days of january...
Cc: SalC
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Ubenedictus(m): 6:26pm On Dec 17, 2014
italo:

grin
hehehe,

It most certainly counts, since you know who you are not the next step is who are you?
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Ubenedictus(m): 6:29pm On Dec 17, 2014
jnrbayano:

This just seeped in the way Kerosine seeps into wood.

Thanks a lot.

John The Baptist just as I have said earlier remains my favourite saint, though I adore all God's saints.

you are welcome, the figure of John the baptist usually gives me a lot to think about.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Ubenedictus(m): 7:17pm On Dec 17, 2014
Since this place isn't bubling yet, i will talk a little more about John the baptist.

John the Baptist appeared in the wilderness, preaching a baptism of repentance for the forgiveness of sin. And there went out to him all the country...(mk 1:4,5,6)

At a point in Jesus' ministry he asked "what did you go to look at in the wilderness?", every advent the church presents us with the image of John the baptist and it seem like Christ is asking me again, "what did you go to look at in the desert?" so dear friends I'll pick a few points from my reflection.

SET APART.

The first thing I noticed about John was that he was set apart...scriptures say, "John appeared in the wilderness", the widerness is not a city, infact, no one lives in the wilderness, people run away from the wilderness but that was where John appeared.

He was a stand out guy, he refused to be classed "among" others so to speak, he was not to be graded with them, he wasn't going to flow with the mix, he wasn't just another guy!

John will not be graded according to the step-ups and expectations of others, he wasn't simply going to flow with the tide or do stuff because others are doing it. He will not drink wine becos that was what was popular at the time or dress in silk robe as an expression of class! No John will have his own class, he will make his own cuture or rather he will adopt a different culture.

His example is the direct opposite of our todays world, we want to do the stuff our mates are doing, we want to be counted "among", we don't want to be labeled a jew/or to stand out or be odd, we want to be familiar, accepted and considered acceptable.

One of the foremost enemies of progress is the fear to stand out, the fear of been your own person, the fear of taking on your own self identity, do not aspire to be "just another one of them", do not aspire to be just another human been, infact that is a sin, a failure to appreciate Gods' creative diversity. Nobody is going to recognise you when you are just one of them. There are 20 people in a bus and they all ate some snack without saying a prayer...that is not news worthy, you followed all your peers to party hard after recieving your salary...that is no news, infact nobody is interested, it is just one of those things, alexis sanchez was playing the ticki taka of baca in bacelona and i didn't know he was a good player. There is nothing phenomenal about following the crowd, there is nothing beautiful about been one of them, assert your own identity, do not be afraid of what they will say, if nobody is praying before eating make a big sign of the cross and pray before you eat, stand out and say no! If you are an alexis sanchez get out of your own bacelona no matter how beautiful ticki taka seems, assert your own identity, you are who you are. You are a catholic christian, you are a King, Priest and Prophet, prince in Gods Kingdom, heir to his promise and dominion, let it show and you will get the response John got.

Scriptures say that the people flowed to him from all the country! May people seek you out for been "out-stand"ing through Christ our Lord!

Good evening.

2 Likes

Re: A Thread For Catholics by Rich4god(m): 7:53pm On Dec 17, 2014
/\ /\ Nice write up @uben...
Sounds more like words of a pri.... *choking*
Where is my zing to help me complete the statement...
Re: A Thread For Catholics by mctowel01: 9:56pm On Dec 17, 2014
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Ubenedictus(m): 10:29pm On Dec 17, 2014
Rich4god:
/\ /\ Nice write up @uben...
Sounds more like words of a pri.... *choking*
Where is my zing to help me complete the statement...

na ur zing dey give u power abi?
Re: A Thread For Catholics by jnrbayano(m): 6:57am On Dec 18, 2014
Ubenedictus:
Since this place isn't bubling yet, i will talk a little more about John the baptist.

John the Baptist appeared in the wilderness, preaching a baptism of repentance for the forgiveness of sin. And there went out to him all the country...(mk 1:4,5,6)

At a point in Jesus' ministry he asked "what did you go to look at in the wilderness?", every advent the church presents us with the image of John the baptist and it seem like Christ is asking me again, "what did you go to look at in the desert?" so dear friends I'll pick a few points from my reflection.

SET APART.

The first thing I noticed about John was that he was set apart...scriptures say, "John appeared in the wilderness", the widerness is not a city, infact, no one lives in the wilderness, people run away from the wilderness but that was where John appeared.

He was a stand out guy, he refused to be classed "among" others so to speak, he was not to be graded with them, he wasn't going to flow with the mix, he wasn't just another guy!

John will not be graded according to the step-ups and expectations of others, he wasn't simply going to flow with the tide or do stuff because others are doing it. He will not drink wine becos that was what was popular at the time or dress in silk robe as an expression of class! No John will have his own class, he will make his own cuture or rather he will adopt a different culture.

His example is the direct opposite of our todays world, we want to do the stuff our mates are doing, we want to be counted "among", we don't want to be labeled a jew/or to stand out or be odd, we want to be familiar, accepted and considered acceptable.

One of the foremost enemies of progress is the fear to stand out, the fear of been your own person, the fear of taking on your own self identity, do not aspire to be "just another one of them", do not aspire to be just another human been, infact that is a sin, a failure to appreciate Gods' creative diversity. Nobody is going to recognise you when you are just one of them. There are 20 people in a bus and they all ate some snack without saying a prayer...that is not news worthy, you followed all your peers to party hard after recieving your salary...that is no news, infact nobody is interested, it is just one of those things, alexis sanchez was playing the ticki taka of baca in bacelona and i didn't know he was a good player. There is nothing phenomenal about following the crowd, there is nothing beautiful about been one of them, assert your own identity, do not be afraid of what they will say, if nobody is praying before eating make a big sign of the cross and pray before you eat, stand out and say no! If you are an alexis sanchez get out of your own bacelona no matter how beautiful ticki taka seems, assert your own identity, you are who you are. You are a catholic christian, you are a King, Priest and Prophet, prince in Gods Kingdom, heir to his promise and dominion, let it show and you will get the response John got.

Scriptures say that the people flowed to him from all the country! May people seek you out for been "out-stand"ing through Christ our Lord!

Good evening.

Nice.

*In Italo's Baritone voice*

Are you a priest? cheesy
Re: A Thread For Catholics by babestell(f): 7:25am On Dec 18, 2014
Ubenedictus:

SET APART.

One of the foremost enemies of progress is the fear to stand out, the fear of been your own person, the fear of taking on your own self identity, do not aspire to be "just another one of them", do not aspire to be just another human been, infact that is a sin, a failure to appreciate Gods' creative diversity. Nobody is going to recognise you when you are just one of them................................

Good evening.

Totally agree with this...One fear that is gripping a lot of Christians today is the fear to stand up and make a difference , the fear to run for political positions or to aspire to be CEOs and bosses.... and funny enough the excuse is that they don't want to be "one of them doing bad things"
Re: A Thread For Catholics by jnrbayano(m): 7:35am On Dec 18, 2014
babestell:

Totally agree with this...One fear that is gripping a lot of Christians today is the fear to stand up and make a difference , the fear to run for political positions or to aspire to be CEOs and bosses.... and funny enough the excuse is that they don't want to be "one of them doing bad things"

Sorry dear but I can never run for any political office.

The one and only way to political positions for me is through appointments.

I am apolitical.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Rich4god(m): 7:47am On Dec 18, 2014
Ubenedictus:

na ur zing dey give u power abi?
lol... My zing always got my back...

Mrnin every1...

(1) (2) (3) ... (277) (278) (279) (280) (281) (282) (283) ... (505) (Reply)

'How T.B. Joshua Took My Wife' – Pastor Peter Kayode Tells It All / The Non-Christian Chatbox ( sticky ) / Members Of Church Of Satan Meets Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 99
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.