Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,474 members, 7,808,703 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:41 PM

A Thread For Catholics - Religion (281) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / A Thread For Catholics (516884 Views)

Mary's Command For Catholics / Message Of God For Catholics And Jehovah Witnesses- Sister Linda Testimony / For Catholics: Who Is Your Favorite Saint? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (278) (279) (280) (281) (282) (283) (284) ... (505) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Thread For Catholics by vest(m): 10:55am On Dec 18, 2014
mctowel01:
www.nairaland.com/2049511/deception-nigerian-catholic-churches#28974951
chairman i jst red your post and do feel how it pains you cus i once witnes some of the things u pointed out what in ur post.
i jst ve few quesions

for u apart from posting this on N.L what else ve you don to correct the way harvest is done in your parish?

do u rily love ur parish and want it to be better?

secondly;i dnt rily know oh! bt i dnt tink their is anything wrong if you tel us the name nd location of this parish jst here on this paticular thread
Re: A Thread For Catholics by italo: 12:29pm On Dec 18, 2014
Ubenedictus:
hehehe,

It most certainly counts, since you know who you are not the next step is who are you?

Only a filthy worm that the Lord loves so much.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by italo: 12:37pm On Dec 18, 2014
jnrbayano:

grin

I did "copy and paste"

embarassed cheesy
You copied and pasted a good write-up. smiley
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Ubenedictus(m): 1:13pm On Dec 18, 2014
italo:

Only a filthy worm that the Lord loves so much.

wow!

I almost think we are brothers!

I woke up this morning and two phrase kept repeating in my head,

the first was a psalm, the passage that says "I am a worm I am not a man"
the second is d episcopal moto of pope francis, "he look upon him with eyes of mercy".

It is interesting that d first thing i see on my "mentions" pages is an almost exact repetition.

I don't really believe in coincidence, there is something i nid to think about.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Ubenedictus(m): 1:18pm On Dec 18, 2014
babestell:

Totally agree with this...One fear that is gripping a lot of Christians today is the fear to stand up and make a difference , the fear to run for political positions or to aspire to be CEOs and bosses.... and funny enough the excuse is that they don't want to be "one of them doing bad things"

this is on point!

Why can't catholic christians come out and make the difference? Fear is an enemy.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Ubenedictus(m): 1:19pm On Dec 18, 2014
jnrbayano:

Sorry dear but I can never run for any political office.

The one and only way to political positions for me is through appointments.

I am apolitical.

i do not believe humans can be apolitical, heck, man is a political animal.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Ubenedictus(m): 1:20pm On Dec 18, 2014
Rich4god:
lol... My zing always got my back...

Mrnin every1...

one day ur zing go disappear na dat day i go execute my plan 4 u.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Rich4god(m): 3:39pm On Dec 18, 2014
Ubenedictus:

one day ur zing go disappear na dat day i go execute my plan 4 u.
lol...
Dont think there will be a disappearance/separation of my zing as long as this setting is concerend...
So you plan might as well waith till the next comet hits the earth... cheesy :-D
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Rich4god(m): 3:42pm On Dec 18, 2014
Ubenedictus:

wow!

the second is d episcopal moto of pope francis, "he look upon him with eyes of mercy".

It is interesting that d first thing i see on my "mentions" pages is an almost exact repetition.

hmmm...
*in kamsy's voice*
Italo and Uben are in same seminary school parish house cheesy
Re: A Thread For Catholics by italo: 4:00pm On Dec 18, 2014
Ubenedictus:

wow!

I don't believe in coincidences too.

I think God is speaking to one or more person(s).

Even I cannot explain why I chose that, of all possible descriptions.

...and yes, we are brothers. smiley
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Rich4god(m): 8:00pm On Dec 19, 2014
Need a little advice here... How can one manage this scenario... You belong to a group, say a business group for instance. Then something bad happened and virtually all the group member decide to visit a shrine so as to determine who or what caused it. Now, the chief priest demanded that every member of the must have to be present during finding/ritual or atleast accept and agree on the ritual that is about to be performed so as to determine who or what is responsible for what happend to the group. Now, as a christian, how will you handle this... Cos if you refuse to accept or attend the ritual, the ritual cannot take place(according to the chief priest) and the other members of the group might think that you have something that you are hiding. And on the other hand, am pretty sure that its against one's faith to participate in such....
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Nobody: 7:56pm On Dec 22, 2014
Best of the season to babestell, striktlymi, italo, alexleo, salc... smiley
Re: A Thread For Catholics by babestell(f): 7:43am On Dec 23, 2014
musKeeto:

When are you going to come and spend your hard earned money on me
Re: A Thread For Catholics by babestell(f): 9:43am On Dec 23, 2014
Catholic World News - December 22, 2014

In his annual year-end address to the Roman Curia, Pope Francis reflected on the Church as the Mystical Body of Christ and said that the Curia is a microcosm of that Body.

Without daily prayer, regular participation in the Sacraments of the Eucharist and Reconciliation, daily contact with God’s Word, and a “spirituality translated into charity,” a member of the Curia dies spiritually and becomes a bureaucrat, the Pope said in his December 22 address.

To “help us prepare for the Sacrament of Reconciliation” before Christmas, the Pope then listed 15 spiritual “sicknesses” that are “more usual” in “our life” as members of the Curia.

The 15 include not being self-critical and thinking oneself indispensable, “Martha-ism” (excessive Martha-like busyness), hardheartedness, excessive planning, failing to work with others, “spiritual Alzheimer’s” (forgetting one’s spiritual journey), and rivalry and vainglory.

Other spiritual sicknesses, the Pope added, include existential “schizophrenia” (living a double life that is “often dissolute”), gossip, careerism and flattering superiors, indifference to others, a severe “funeral face” (rather than self-deprecating good humor), the “disease of closed circles,” and “worldly profit, exhibitionism” (through “calumniating, defaming, and discrediting others,” even in the media “in the name of justice and transparency”).

These temptations, he continued, are a danger to every Christian and every community. “The Holy Spirit sustains every sincere effort of purification and every good will of conversion.”

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Catholics by babestell(f): 9:46am On Dec 23, 2014
^^^^^^^

Let's not crack out head about what should form our spiritual new year resolutions. The Holy Father has given us an idea. Truthfully ask yourself Which of these spiritual "sicknesses" do I suffer from and what can I do to continue in the quest for holiness.

The watch word for us it "BEGIN AGAIN"

God bless us all

2 Likes

Re: A Thread For Catholics by babestell(f): 9:50am On Dec 23, 2014
Complete list

1) Feeling immortal, immune or indispensable. "A Curia that doesn't criticize itself, that doesn't update itself, that doesn't seek to improve itself is a sick body."

2) Working too hard. "Rest for those who have done their work is necessary, good and should be taken seriously."

3) Becoming spiritually and mentally hardened. "It's dangerous to lose that human sensibility that lets you cry with those who are crying, and celebrate those who are joyful."

4) Planning too much. "Preparing things well is necessary, but don't fall into the temptation of trying to close or direct the freedom of the Holy Spirit, which is bigger and more generous than any human plan."

5) Working without coordination, like an orchestra that produces noise. "When the foot tells the hand, 'I don't need you' or the hand tells the head 'I'm in charge.'"

6) Having 'spiritual Alzheimer's.' "We see it in the people who have forgotten their encounter with the Lord ... in those who depend completely on their here and now, on their passions, whims and manias, in those who build walls around themselves and become enslaved to the idols that they have built with their own hands."

7) Being rivals or boastful. "When one's appearance, the color of one's vestments or honorific titles become the primary objective of life."

cool Suffering from 'existential schizophrenia.' "It's the sickness of those who live a double life, fruit of hypocrisy that is typical of mediocre and progressive spiritual emptiness that academic degrees cannot fill. It's a sickness that often affects those who, abandoning pastoral service, limit themselves to bureaucratic work, losing contact with reality and concrete people."

9) Committing the 'terrorism of gossip.' "It's the sickness of cowardly people who, not having the courage to speak directly, talk behind people's backs."

10) Glorifying one's bosses. "It's the sickness of those who court their superiors, hoping for their benevolence. They are victims of careerism and opportunism, they honor people who aren't God."

11) Being indifferent to others. "When, out of jealousy or cunning, one finds joy in seeing another fall rather than helping him up and encouraging him."

12) Having a 'funereal face.' "In reality, theatrical severity and sterile pessimism are often symptoms of fear and insecurity. The apostle must be polite, serene, enthusiastic and happy and transmit joy wherever he goes."

13) Wanting more. "When the apostle tries to fill an existential emptiness in his heart by accumulating material goods, not because he needs them but because he'll feel more secure."

14) Forming 'closed circles' that seek to be stronger than the whole. "This sickness always starts with good intentions but as time goes by, it enslaves its members by becoming a cancer that threatens the harmony of the body and causes so much bad — scandals — especially to our younger brothers."

15) Seeking worldly profit and showing off. "It's the sickness of those who insatiably try to multiply their powers and to do so are capable of calumny, defamation and discrediting others, even in newspapers and magazines, naturally to show themselves as being more capable than others."

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Catholics by Ubenedictus(m): 3:07pm On Dec 23, 2014
Rich4god:
lol...
Dont think there will be a disappearance/separation of my zing as long as this setting is concerend...
So you plan might as well waith till the next comet hits the earth... cheesy :-D

wha God has joined, may no man ...
Re: A Thread For Catholics by SalC: 5:15am On Dec 24, 2014
May the Lord bless and keep you, may the God of Zion protect you. My He give you help from Zion and make your good desires come true.

Good morning brethren and happy Christmas in advance smiley

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Catholics by SalC: 5:18am On Dec 24, 2014
musKeeto:
Greetings to you the big musKeeto smiley
Re: A Thread For Catholics by SalC: 5:31am On Dec 24, 2014
Rich4god:
Need a little advice here... How can one manage this scenario... You belong to a group, say a business group for instance. Then something bad happened and virtually all the group member decide to visit a shrine so as to determine who or what caused it. Now, the chief priest demanded that every member of the must have to be present during finding/ritual or atleast accept and agree on the ritual that is about to be performed so as to determine who or what is responsible for what happend to the group. Now, as a christian, how will you handle this... Cos if you refuse to accept or attend the ritual, the ritual cannot take place(according to the chief priest) and the other members of the group might think that you have something that you are hiding. And on the other hand, am pretty sure that its against one's faith to participate in such....
Now this is one difficult situation but moreover, it is also a test of your faith,
I will advice such person to insist on not going or endorsing such. Yes others may or not think you are responsible for what happened but as far as your conscience is clear, let them think what they will. It's even better the priest or native doctor said the absence of one member is enough to stop the process, so your absence and refusal to endorse such activity will stop them from going ahead, let them go for a more civil way of solving the group problems and not resort to consulting the priest.

It may not be easy, but you've got to insist.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by jnrbayano(m): 7:23am On Dec 24, 2014
SalC:
May the Lord bless and keep you, may the God of Zion protect you. My He give you help from Zion and make your good desires come true.

Good morning brethren and happy Christmas in advance smiley

Same to you

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Catholics by italo: 7:51am On Dec 24, 2014
musKeeto:
Thank you. Merry Christmas. smiley
Re: A Thread For Catholics by italo: 7:58am On Dec 24, 2014
Rich4god:

There is only one answer. I know that you know the answer.

Merry Christmas, brother.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Nobody: 10:37am On Dec 24, 2014
Compliments of the season to everyone in the house
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Rich4god(m): 11:04am On Dec 24, 2014
italo:

There is only one answer. I know that you know the answer.

Merry Christmas, brother.
You sure I knw the answer...
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Rich4god(m): 11:04am On Dec 24, 2014
chukwudi44:
Compliments of the season to everyone in the house
Same to you...
Re: A Thread For Catholics by italo: 11:24am On Dec 24, 2014
Rich4god:
You sure I knw the answer...

I'm sure.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by 99100(m): 11:36am On Dec 24, 2014
babestell:
Catholic World News - December 22, 2014

In his annual year-end address to the Roman Curia, Pope Francis reflected on the Church as the Mystical Body of Christ and said that the Curia is a microcosm of that Body.

Without daily prayer, regular participation in the Sacraments of the Eucharist and Reconciliation, daily contact with God’s Word, and a “spirituality translated into charity,” a member of the Curia dies spiritually and becomes a bureaucrat, the Pope said in his December 22 address.

To “help us prepare for the Sacrament of Reconciliation” before Christmas, the Pope then listed 15 spiritual “sicknesses” that are “more usual” in “our life” as members of the Curia.

The 15 include not being self-critical and thinking oneself indispensable, “Martha-ism” (excessive Martha-like busyness), hardheartedness, excessive planning, failing to work with others, “spiritual Alzheimer’s” (forgetting one’s spiritual journey), and rivalry and vainglory.

Other spiritual sicknesses, the Pope added, include existential “schizophrenia” (living a double life that is “often dissolute”), gossip, careerism and flattering superiors, indifference to others, a severe “funeral face” (rather than self-deprecating good humor), the “disease of closed circles,” and “worldly profit, exhibitionism” (through “calumniating, defaming, and discrediting others,” even in the media “in the name of justice and transparency”).

These temptations, he continued, are a danger to every Christian and every community. “The Holy Spirit sustains every sincere effort of purification and every good will of conversion.”
Re: A Thread For Catholics by debbie(f): 12:05pm On Dec 24, 2014
Merry christmas my people.....oya time for role call,as u read this just know dat I called your name! I have missed you all,beeen busy with family and plenty other things..

Let's not forget de reason for the season.May Christ be born into our lives. As we look towards celebrating his birth let's not forget that he is coming back to take his own .
Please let's also share with people around us in our celebration.Remember those who don't hv the freedom to celebrate like us.above all pray for the peace of our country.
May the Joy of Advent enlighten our hearts.

2 Likes

Re: A Thread For Catholics by Nobody: 3:41pm On Dec 24, 2014
Rich4god:

*Adjusts my halo...

"Do not be unequally yoked with unbelievers"

That's one of the most misunderstood scriptural quotes on nairaland, IMVPO.

If someone understand's the principle guiding that quote and apply same religiously, I doubt very much if the individual would have any cause to worry about the scenario you gave.

So many explanations of that quote have a common central theme: 'do not operate on the same level as unbelievers; in order words, do not befriend them'.

In as much as I agree with the operational difference between Christians and non-christians, not relating with them has nothing to do with the said quote, that is IMVPO.

The scriptural quote urges us to be EQUALLY yoked with unbelievers and not the other way round. Apply the principles of daily living they apply to our Christianity and we would come out tops.

Recall Christ' thought on being as gentle as doves but shrewd as serpents? Do you also recall Christ' thought on the corrupt servant? The one who got praised by his master for using his 'number six' to get out of a bad situation?

All those passages are related and refer to the same thing: Apply worldly wisdom in your spiritual life.

What does that even mean?

Paganism goes deep in my extended family. When we want to pay homage to our deity, this is done in the open. Everyone knew that paganism was our thing and woe be upon the 'bible thumper' who would dare come to preach to my family then.

Let's come to something you can relate with. How do you know a drunkard? Definitely by his actions. How do you know a player? By his actions too? What about a prostitute? Going to her is assumed already that you are a patron.

In the same way, our light as Christians should be so bright that when people see us, they know at a glance what our stance is, more so when we are Catholics, we flaunt it to the world to see.

I have seen cases where an unbeliever would say: "are you going to meet Rich4God? You are just wasting your time; he will turn your visit to an avenue where you all will say the Rosary".

That is a Catholic whose stance is already known and would be an insult to go ask him to partake in the scenario you painted.

When we are unequally yoked with unbelievers that is when we tend to hide our lamps under the table and they mistake us for something else. We tend to be 'o yes members' not being able to stand our grounds because we want to 'belong'.

Italo told you, you already know the answer...I reiterate: you know the answer already if you consider yourself a follower of Christ.

musKeeto I hail o.

2 Likes

Re: A Thread For Catholics by mctowel01: 8:35pm On Dec 24, 2014
vest:
chairman i jst red your post and do feel how it pains you cus i once witnes some of the things u pointed out what in ur post.
i jst ve few quesions

for u apart from posting this on N.L what else ve you don to correct the way harvest is done in your parish?

do u rily love ur parish and want it to be better?

secondly;i dnt rily know oh! bt i dnt tink their is anything wrong if you tel us the name nd location of this parish jst here on this paticular thread
I am really looking for the email address of the parish priest to mail him many of these issues containing some of my writeup and supporting links to him. Also, I will forward these to some top personalities amongst the church just incase the parish priest ignores and discards my message. But its a tough one to get. In the maintime, I was explaining to some of the choiristers and the choir mistress who aremy friends and I found out that they are completely ignorant and do not want to hear further. Recently, I spole with a seminarian, who spoke jargonz to me about it. Still the same story. Reaching the parish priest is a task of its own. Besides, I am trying to maintain anonymity cos my family members do not know about this.

The name of the parish is st alphonsus catholic church Akute.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Jennydoris(f): 12:17am On Dec 25, 2014
Shout out to my wonderful people here...

Abeg una follow me see this COLD shocked.

(1) (2) (3) ... (278) (279) (280) (281) (282) (283) (284) ... (505) (Reply)

'How T.B. Joshua Took My Wife' – Pastor Peter Kayode Tells It All / The Non-Christian Chatbox ( sticky ) / Members Of Church Of Satan Meets Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.