Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,683 members, 7,801,966 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 07:09 AM

A Thread For Catholics - Religion (316) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / A Thread For Catholics (516220 Views)

Mary's Command For Catholics / Message Of God For Catholics And Jehovah Witnesses- Sister Linda Testimony / For Catholics: Who Is Your Favorite Saint? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (313) (314) (315) (316) (317) (318) (319) ... (505) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Thread For Catholics by Syncan(m): 12:04pm On Feb 18, 2015
Ubenedictus:

beautiful one.

I continue to thank God for you.

Thank you very much. May God bless you immensely.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by PrettySpicey(f): 12:16pm On Feb 18, 2015
Syncan:

Don't forget to always come around here this period, your presence will always encourage the brethren. May God bless your efforts with success. Amen.

I'll do my best to, Syncan. I too I'm in dire need of encouragement and reminders. The Body of Christ might be turn into a million pieces, but there's only ONE Holy Church.

And there is no Season of the Church which speaks more of our salvation like the Lenten and Pascal Season.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Syncan(m): 12:28pm On Feb 18, 2015
PrettySpicey:

I'll do my best to, Syncan. I too I'm in dire need of encouragement and reminders. The Body of Christ might be turn into a million pieces, but there's only ONE Holy Church.

And there is no Season of the Church which speaks more of our salvation like the Lenten and Pascal Season.

Your best is all that's needed Sis, am sure the bold will be satisfied here in this period; both by the brethren and your contribution. I have nothing else to add to your words, they are as perfect as can be.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by hurricaneChris: 1:05pm On Feb 18, 2015
Kamsified:
God of mercy and compassion
Look with pity upon me
Father let me call thee father
Tis thy child return to thee

Chorus
Jesus Lord, I ask for mercy
Let me not implore in vain
All my sins I now detest them
Never will I sin again

By my sins I have deserved
Death and endless misery
Hell with all it's pains and torments
And for all eternity

By my sins I have abandoned
Rights and claims to heaven above
Where the saints rejoice forever
In a boundless sea of love

See our savior bleeding dying
On the cross of Calvary
To that cross my sins have nailed him
Yet he bleeds and dies for me

Whose composed this song should be canonized! Wonderful hymn

2 Likes

Re: A Thread For Catholics by Nobody: 8:35pm On Feb 18, 2015
Syncan:

Shhh, hush hush bro, you know there's google wink
Lol thank God for google.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Fembleez1(m): 8:43pm On Feb 18, 2015
Hi, my brothers and sisters in the Lord. please click on this link https://www.nairaland.com/2154808/harsh-wednesday-poem#30859692 to read my poem about today 'ash Wednesday' and drop a comment.

Thanks and God bless. smiley
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Ubenedictus(m): 12:58am On Feb 19, 2015
COM-PASSION

Hebrew 4:15

For we do not have a high priest
who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but we have one who has been tempted in every way, just as we are.

If we followed the readings for the past 3 weeks we will see a recurring theme in the gospel, Jesus was move with mercy and he heals the sick, last sunday was interesting because Jesus was moved with pity, with mercy, with compassion and he touched an "unclean" leper even before he heals him. The letter to the hebrews informs us that Christ our mediator is able to identify with our weakness, he feels for us and with us, he has co-passion on us. He feels what we feel. He cares.

But, do we care what he feels? Because co-passion goes both ways, it is feeling together or rather feeling with the other.

Scriptures says,
"For our sake He made him to be sin who knew no sin, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God"

He is God who loves us so much to share our nature, he is pure, his nature is anti-sin, he was made sin for us! He himself bore our sins on his body on the cross, do we care? He sweated blood for Our sins, he was beaten, crowned with thorn, shamed and disgrace for our sin, do we care? Can we look a our selves through his eyes? Can we see the dust and ashes loved by God?
Do we see how our love cost him? It is not just the blood thirstiness of the pharisee or the wickedness of the soldiers or the judgement of pilate that killed him it is our sins. We drew the sticks and beat him, we took the thorns and crowned him, we nailed him to the cross, He looked at our sins and his sweat turned into blood. What will we do for a love so great?

He love us so much that he gives us his righeousness, what have we done with it? Have we recieved his grace in vain?

Can we return to him? can we accept his righteousness which he gives without cost? Can we live reconciled to God. Can we make a firm resolve this lent to abstain now and always from all known sins? Can we practice in reality that which we have recieved by faith?

The ashes we recieved is a sign of radical changes, what changes are we making in our lives or is it business as usual.

He loved us and gave his life for us what can we do to love a brothers and sister, what about the poor family living in our street? Oh, what about that grievous sinner? would you stand before God this lent and plead "spare your people", will you take it as your duty as a priest to pray for him? Alms, prayer and Fasting.

There is nothing more beautiful than to fast from sin, it is possible! God himself has made us his holy people, a people set apart, can we resolve now and always to reject satan and all his works, to reject sin and cling to God?

It is possible to live a life without mortal sin! There are many success stories, will we make a resolve this lent to drop that sin which ties us to earth, to reject without second thought that recurring temptation or that habitual sin.

He loves us to die for us will we give ourselves for his love?

Peace.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Thread For Catholics by Rich4god(m): 8:03am On Feb 19, 2015
LENTEN SPIRITUAL TONIC: Deut. 30:15-20, Lk 9:22-25. We find in today's readings that life is full of alternatives and choices. Our priority will thereby inform our choice. But whatever choice we go for, we must be ready for its corresponding consequences. The interesting alternatives offered by Moses and Jesus to the people are also meant for us in this contemporary time. And we have to exercise the choice. There is no compelling, only an invitation. The beauty of love lies in never forcing a choice. The tragedy lies in rejecting God and His blessings, because His path may appear difficult. The season of Lent affords us the beautiful opportunity to reflect on our choices and to save our lives. If we are to be saved, we have to carry our cross. Our Lord's word state a condition that is absolutely necessary to follow Him. A Christianity that tried to remove the cross of voluntary mortification and penance is a Christianity without Redemption, without Salvation. There can never be progress in the interior life without a spirit of sacrifice and mortification. And a life of Sacrifice without Sacrifice is a contradiction. To attain eternal joy we must embrace the spirit of mortification and penance that the season of Lent made affords us. As we solemnly offer the annual observance of Lent, may the Lord grant that through the works of penance and charity, we may turn away from harmful pleasures and, be cleansed from our sins! Amen!! Peace be with you!!!

dedicated to my zing...
morning all...

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Thread For Catholics by Syncan(m): 8:16am On Feb 19, 2015
Ubenedictus:
COM-PASSION

who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but we have one who has been tempted in every way, just as we are.

If we followed the readings for the past 3 weeks we will see a recurring theme in the gospel, Jesus was move with mercy and he heals the sick, last sunday was interesting because Jesus was moved with pity, with mercy, with compassion and he touched an "unclean" leper even before he heals him. The letter to the hebrews informs us that Christ our mediator is able to identify with our weakness, he feels for us and with us, he has co-passion on us. He feels what we feel. He cares.

But, do we care what he feels? Because co-passion goes both ways, it is feeling together or rather feeling with the other.

Scriptures says,
"For our sake He made him to be sin who knew no sin, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God"

He is God who loves us so much to share our nature, he is pure, his nature is anti-sin, he was made sin for us! He himself bore our sins on his body on the cross, do we care? He sweated blood for Our sins, he was beaten, crowned with thorn, shamed and disgrace for our sin, do we care? Can we look a our selves through his eyes? Can we see the dust and ashes loved by God?
Do we see how our love cost him? It is not just the blood thirstiness of the pharisee or the wickedness of the soldiers or the judgement of pilate that killed him it is our sins. We drew the sticks and beat him, we took the thorns and crowned him, we nailed him to the cross, He looked at our sins and his sweat turned into blood. What will we do for a love so great?

He love us so much that he gives us his righeousness, what have we done with it? Have we recieved his grace in vain?

Can we return to him? can we accept his righteousness which he gives without cost? Can we live reconciled to God. Can we make a firm resolve this lent to abstain now and always from all known sins? Can we practice in reality that which we have recieved by faith?

The ashes we recieved is a sign of radical changes, what changes are we making in our lives or is it business as usual.

He loved us and gave his life for us what can we do to love a brothers and sister, what about the poor family living in our street? Oh, what about that grievous sinner? would you stand before God this lent and plead "spare your people", will you take it as your duty as a priest to pray for him? Alms, prayer and Fasting.

There is nothing more beautiful than to fast from sin, it is possible! God himself has made us his holy people, a people set apart, can we resolve now and always to reject satan and all his works, to reject sin and cling to God?

It is possible to live a life without mortal sin! There are many success stories, will we make a resolve this lent to drop that sin which ties us to earth, to reject without second thought that recurring temptation or that habitual sin.

Peace.

May God help me to love truly; and eliminate selfishness from my life, same vice that makes my relationship with God parasitic... only looking for what I can get from him. Same vice that makes me consider my luxury first before the need of another, same reason that makes me feel am the one to be shown love and not the one to show love. It's this vice that hardens my heart from compassion most times. May God help me o, selfishness go kill somebody. Thank you for this message, God bless you.

Good morning brethren, a splendid day ahead to all.

4 Likes

Re: A Thread For Catholics by Kamsified: 11:00am On Feb 19, 2015
Ubenedictus:
COM-PASSION

Scriptures says,

Peace.

We in Vatican have been waiting for this from you. Well said
By his special grace, my life will not remain the same this lent and after. Amen
God bless you bro
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Kamsified: 11:02am On Feb 19, 2015
Rich4god:
LENTEN SPIRITUAL TONIC: Deut. 30:15-20, Lk 9:22-25. We find in today's readings that life is full of alternatives and choices. Our priority will thereby inform our choice. But whatever choice we go for, we must be ready for its corresponding consequences. The interesting alternatives offered by Moses and Jesus to the people are also meant for us in this contemporary time. And we have to exercise the choice. There is no compelling, only an invitation. The beauty of love lies in never forcing a choice. The tragedy lies in rejecting God and His blessings, because His path may appear difficult. The season of Lent affords us the beautiful opportunity to reflect on our choices and to save our lives. If we are to be saved, we have to carry our cross. Our Lord's word state a condition that is absolutely necessary to follow Him. A Christianity that tried to remove the cross of voluntary mortification and penance is a Christianity without Redemption, without Salvation. There can never be progress in the interior life without a spirit of sacrifice and mortification. And a life of Sacrifice without Sacrifice is a contradiction. To attain eternal joy we must embrace the spirit of mortification and penance that the season of Lent made affords us. As we solemnly offer the annual observance of Lent, may the Lord grant that through the works of penance and charity, we may turn away from harmful pleasures and, be cleansed from our sins! Amen!! Peace be with you!!!

dedicated to my zing...
morning all...
Amen Amen Amen I say
In prettyspicey's voice* 'I believe, Lord, help my unbelief'
Re: A Thread For Catholics by wonda26(m): 12:05pm On Feb 19, 2015
Just a question.

When growing up with my mum, any day we are to fast, we do wake up and brush before 6:00a.m. as that time marks the beginning of our fasting.

Now, being alone, I usually don't wake before 6:00a.m. I brush after 6:00a.m.. Is it still right to say my fasting started by 6:00a.m.?

Also, can someone educate us on fasting, abstenance and almsgiving? Thanks.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by PrettySpicey(f): 12:55pm On Feb 19, 2015
Indeed @ Rich4god, there can be no crown without the Cross.

How can we be followers of Christ without putting on the true nature of Christ? The nature of sacrifice and the giving up of oneself.

I need to look closely at my choices during this period of penance and sacrifice.

Good afternoon, everyone.

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Catholics by Rich4god(m): 1:16pm On Feb 19, 2015
wonda26:
Just a question.

When growing up with my mum, any day we are to fast, we do wake up and brush before 6:00a.m. as that time marks the beginning of our fasting.

Now, being alone, I usually don't wake before 6:00a.m. I brush after 6:00a.m.. Is it still right to say my fasting started by 6:00a.m.?

Also, can someone educate us on fasting, abstenance and almsgiving? Thanks.
Make I answer the simple one before the theologians will arrive. Brushing of teeth don't break you fast. it doesn't matter weda u brushed before 6am or even around 12pm. so feel free to brush at anytime, the bible encouraged is to look good while fasting.

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Catholics by Syncan(m): 8:21am On Feb 20, 2015
Fasting, abstinence and alms giving as requested by wonda26 and highlighted in today's reading of (Is 58:1-9)

All around us, people often keep away from something. Each time we "keep away from" anything, we actually abstain from that thing. So abstinence is got from keeping away, hence to abstain from drink is to keep away from drink, to abstain from gossip is to keep away from gossip, to abstain from going to a parish is to keep away from that parish. Abstinence could be for a period of time, or for a life time.
However for Catholics and for the purpose of lent, abstinence strictly means to keep away from meat.

Generally speaking, once abstinence is about food and drink; it is called Fasting. Fasting could be said to be divided into two.
The first is complete abstinence from food and drink (the type the jim jim brothers and sisters dey do before deliverance session).This fast was total, and a means of watching and waiting…i.e; for something. Recall the type king David did in (2Samuel 12:16-20), when he was waiting on God's decision regarding his son. This is the nature of the fast prescribed by the Church before Holy Communion...at least 1hr.
The second fast is a fast of abstinence from certain foods, e.g., meats or fats. This one is partial, and more an act of self-discipline and self-control. Chai...It is the failure of our first parents to adhere to this fast (Gen.2,3) that brought us to this situation...common to abstain from one fruit out of many...there is God o my people. But it's not all gloomy, after all it brought us Jesus and showed us the extent the creator loved His creature.
Fasting in the Catholic discipline involves eating just one full meal in a day...from tradition it's usually lunch.., then something could be taken at two other times; which if the two are combined cannot be equal to a full meal. Chai...this church eh...my burden is easy and my yoke is light.

We fast to keep the body disciplined and subject to the spirit, food strengthens the flesh and from experience we've seen that the flesh is better a servant than a master. In (Gen. 3), the flesh lead our first parents, when they obeyed the flesh's dictate, they failed the spirit and disobeyed God. Even in (Jer 5:7), God complained about the children of Israel thus: "...I fed them to the full, they committed adultery" smh. However the second Adam, Jesus Christ, thought us the way to go, He fasted for a period of time, when the devil tempted him with food as he did our first parents, Jesus exposed the secret that his earlier victims did not know "Man does not live by bread alone" (Matt.4:4).
Fasting for the catholic and especially during lent is compulsory for all adults, but exempts the aged and weak. The range of this age, varies from place to place depending on the conference of Bishop's decision.

Christian Fasting is not just about abstaining from food, it's about promoting the works of the spirit as such times. Acknowledging the Godliness in us and making it visible to others, that Godliness is made manifest when we exhibit the fruits of the spirit in our spiritual and Corporal works of mercy. This involves alms giving (the act of giving to the poor) in different forms during the fasting periods, for this is the demand of God. Since we are asking for pardon by showing our remorse,and seeking to please God, we give alms. Please see today's reading (Isaiah 58:1-9) on the fasting that pleases the lord.
Fasting for the catholic and especially during lent is accompanied by prayers and good works, this promotes the works of the spirit and keeps the flesh under subjection.

Finally let me paste here the guide to Lenten fasts for those in nigeria, as published by the archdiocese of Lagos sometime ago, the dates are removed.

ARCHDIOCESE OF LAGOS - LENTEN REGULATIONS

1. The Holy Season of Lent begins on Ash Wednesday
2. All the Faithful are bound by the Divine Law to do penance (C. 1249).
3. Penitential days and time in the Universal Church are every Friday of the year and the period of Lent (C. 1250). In Nigeria, the Catholic Bishop's Conference lays it down that abstinence from meat or favorite dish, drink or smoking, is to be observed on all Fridays.
4. Abstinence and Fasting are to be observed on Ash Wednesday and Good Friday (C. 1251).
5. The Law of Abstinence forbids flesh meat, but no eggs, milk products, sauces or soups, even if made from animal fat. This law binds all those who have had their 14th birthday (C. 1252).
6. The Law of Fasting lays down that only one full meal is to be taken in a day. This law binds all those of adult age i.e. all who have celebrated their 21st birthday until they begin their 60th year.
7. Others forms of Penance such as regular attendance at Morning Mass, Stations of the Cross, an hour of Adoration, help to the needy, etc are high recommended.

Sorry about the length, I couldn't make it shorter.

Good morning brethren, a splendid day ahead to all

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Thread For Catholics by Kamsified: 8:47am On Feb 20, 2015
Syncan:
Fasting, abstinence and alms giving as requested by wonda26 and highlighted in today's reading of (Is 58:1-9)

All around us, people often keep away from something. Each time we "keep away from" anything, we actually abstain from that thing. So abstinence is got from keeping away, hence to abstain from drink is to keep away from drink, to abstain from gossip is to keep away from gossip, to abstain from going to a parish is to keep away from that parish. Abstinence could be for a period of time, or for a life time.
However for Catholics and for the purpose of lent, abstinence strictly means to keep away from meat.

Generally speaking, once abstinence is about food and drink; it is called Fasting. Fasting could be said to be divided into two.
The first is complete abstinence from food and drink (the type the jim jim brothers and sisters dey do before deliverance session).This fast was total, and a means of watching and waiting…i.e; for something. Recall the type king David did in (2Samuel 12:16-20), when he was waiting on God's decision regarding his son. This is the nature of the fast prescribed by the Church before Holy Communion...at least 1hr.
The second fast is a fast of abstinence from certain foods, e.g., meats or fats. This one is partial, and more an act of self-discipline and self-control. Chai...It is the failure of our first parents to adhere to this fast (Gen.2,3) that brought us to this situation...common to abstain from one fruit out of many...there is God o my people. But it's not all gloomy, after all it brought us Jesus and showed us the extent the creator loved His creature.
Fasting in the Catholic discipline involves eating just one full meal in a day...from tradition it's usually lunch.., then something could be taken at two other times; which if the two are combined cannot be equal to a full meal. Chai...this church eh...my burden is easy and my yoke is light.

We fast to keep the body disciplined and subject to the spirit, food strengthens the flesh and from experience we've seen that the flesh is better a servant than a master. In (Gen. 3), the flesh lead our first parents, when they obeyed the flesh's dictate, they failed the spirit and disobeyed God. Even in (Jer 5:7), God complained about the children of Israel thus: "...I fed them to the full, they committed adultery" smh. However the second Adam, Jesus Christ, thought us the way to go, He fasted for a period of time, when the devil tempted him with food as he did our first parents, Jesus exposed the secret that his earlier victims did not know "Man does not live by bread alone" (Matt.4:4).
Fasting for the catholic and especially during lent is compulsory for all adults, but exempts the aged and weak. The range of this age, varies from place to place depending on the conference of Bishop's decision.

Christian Fasting is not just about abstaining from food, it's about promoting the works of the spirit as such times. Acknowledging the Godliness in us and making it visible to others, that Godliness is made manifest when we exhibit the fruits of the spirit in our spiritual and Corporal works of mercy. This involves alms giving (the act of giving to the poor) in different forms during the fasting periods, for this is the demand of God. Since we are asking for pardon by showing our remorse,and seeking to please God, we give alms. Please see today's reading (Isaiah 58:1-9) on the fasting that pleases the lord.
Fasting for the catholic and especially during lent is accompanied by prayers and good works, this promotes the works of the spirit and keeps the flesh under subjection.

Finally let me paste here the guide to Lenten fasts for those in nigeria, as published by the archdiocese of Lagos sometime ago, the dates are removed.

3. Penitential days and time in the Universal Church are every Friday of the year and the period of Lent (C. 1250). In Nigeria, the Catholic Bishop's Conference lays it down that abstinence from meat or favorite dish, drink or smoking, is to be observed on all Fridays.
4. Abstinence and Fasting are to be observed on Ash Wednesday and Good Friday (C. 1251).
5. The Law of Abstinence forbids flesh meat, but no eggs, milk products, sauces or soups, even if made from animal fat. This law binds all those who have had their 14th birthday (C. 1252).
6. The Law of Fasting lays down that only one full meal is to be taken in a day. This law binds all those of adult age i.e. all who have celebrated their 21st birthday until they begin their 60th year.
7. Others forms of Penance such as regular attendance at Morning Mass, Stations of the Cross, an hour of Adoration, help to the needy, etc are high recommended.

I read the 2Sam 12 so inspiring!!!!!!! So many take aways from your message.
I join Uben in thanking God for you.
Have a nice day as well
Re: A Thread For Catholics by SalC: 8:48am On Feb 20, 2015
Syncan:

Thanks for this update, I learnt a lot .
For someone who can't fast, how can he supplement that?
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Kamsified: 8:49am On Feb 20, 2015
SalC:
Good morning dear
U beat me to that question
Re: A Thread For Catholics by SalC: 9:19am On Feb 20, 2015
Kamsified:

Good morning dear
U beat me to that question
Hi dearie, so am not alone on it then
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Syncan(m): 9:59am On Feb 20, 2015
Kamsified:

I read the 2Sam 12 so inspiring!!!!!!! So many take aways from your message.
I join Uben in thanking God for you.
Have a nice day as well

Then Just like I told Uben, thank you very much and may God bless you immensely.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Syncan(m): 10:10am On Feb 20, 2015
SalC:

Note this:

The above is compulsory on ash Wednesday and good Friday as It's difficult for one not to be able to fulfill the basic requirement for this on such days. When health or ability to work would be seriously affected, neither the law of fasting nor the law of abstinence obliges. If in doubt, please ask your parish priest or confessor.

However, Other forms of “fasting,” especially regarding alcoholic drink, needless television, video games, Internet use and social entertainment, and such as i posted earlier... on pg 314... is of true spiritual value and is strongly encouraged.

Airport workers, travelers, and others while on board ships or airplanes are dispensed from the laws of fast and abstinence for the duration of their journey (except on Good Friday). It is desirable that they perform some other pious act instead.

Hope this suffices.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by SalC: 11:38am On Feb 20, 2015
Syncan:

Note this:

The above is compulsory on ash Wednesday and good Friday as It's difficult for one not to be able to fulfill the basic requirement for this on such days. When health or ability to work would be seriously affected, neither the law of fasting nor the law of abstinence obliges. If in doubt, please ask your parish priest or confessor.

However, Other forms of “fasting,” especially regarding alcoholic drink, needless television, video games, Internet use and social entertainment, and such as i posted earlier... on pg 314... is of true spiritual value and is strongly encouraged.

Airport workers, travelers, and others while on board ships or airplanes are dispensed from the laws of fast and abstinence for the duration of their journey (except on Good Friday). It is desirable that they perform some other pious act instead.

Hope this suffices.
Sure it does! Thanks
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Syncan(m): 2:12pm On Feb 20, 2015
SalC:
Sure it does! Thanks

To God be the glory. You're welcome.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Nobody: 10:55pm On Feb 20, 2015
pls send the pm to this moniker. forgot my password to the other. thanks.
Syncan:

To God be the glory. You're welcome.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Rich4god(m): 9:55am On Feb 21, 2015
LENTEN APPETISER: Isaiah 58:9-14, Lk 5:27-32. The love of God for sinners reveals itself Matthew's vocation; about how he was called by Our Lord. The Apostle shows his gratitude towards Jesus by a prompt response: And left everything, and rose and followed Him. The choice of Levi is revolutionary because tax collectors were a despited lot. Leaving 'everything' is an indication of Levi's readiness to follow Jesus in his lifestyle, to take on a new kind of life that Jesus is offering. The life of Levi becomes an example for all of us of our potential to do extraordinary things for God. Today, the Lord is calling on us to do something "special" for Him. The Pharisees were scandalised. They asked the disciples, "Why do you eat and drink with sinners? The publicans were considered as sinners, because of the disproportionate benefits that they could obtain through their work and because of their dealings with the Gentiles. Jesus answered the Pharisees with these consoling words: Those who are well have no need of a physician... Jesus comes for all, for we are all sick and we are all sinners; No one is good but God alone. We must all seek God's mercy and forgiveness in order to have life and to reach salvation. The words of Our Lord, who presents Himself to us as Physician, move us to ask humbly and confidently for the forgiveness for our sins. May the Lord show us His mercy and grant us His steadfast love! Good morning and have a pleasant day!!!

4 Likes

Re: A Thread For Catholics by Syncan(m): 10:09am On Feb 21, 2015
Rich4god:
LENTEN APPETISER: Isaiah 58:9-14, Lk 5:27-32. The love of God for sinners reveals itself Matthew's vocation; about how he was called by Our Lord. The Apostle shows his gratitude towards Jesus by a prompt response: And left everything, and rose and followed Him. The choice of Levi is revolutionary because tax collectors were a despited lot. Leaving 'everything' is an indication of Levi's readiness to follow Jesus in his lifestyle, to take on a new kind of life that Jesus is offering. The life of Levi becomes an example for all of us of our potential to do extraordinary things for God. Today, the Lord is calling on us to do something "special" for Him. The Pharisees were scandalised. They asked the disciples, "Why do you eat and drink with sinners? The publicans were considered as sinners, because of the disproportionate benefits that they could obtain through their work and because of their dealings with the Gentiles. Jesus answered the Pharisees with these consoling words: Those who are well have no need of a physician... Jesus comes for all, for we are all sick and we are all sinners; No one is good but God alone. We must all seek God's mercy and forgiveness in order to have life and to reach salvation. The words of Our Lord, who presents Himself to us as Physician, move us to ask humbly and confidently for the forgiveness for our sins. May the Lord show us His mercy and grant us His steadfast love! Good morning and have a pleasant day!!!

Thanks bro, God bless you.

Good morning brethren, a splendid day ahead to all.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Syncan(m): 4:59pm On Feb 21, 2015
Whether na true talk abi na lie, chineloSA Happy birthday joor. God bless you.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Kamsified: 8:19pm On Feb 21, 2015
Rich4god:
Same to you dearie. Hope your day went well
God bless u
Re: A Thread For Catholics by PrettySpicey(f): 9:08pm On Feb 21, 2015
Thanks Syncan for the talk on Fasting. It's always nice to gain some clarity when issues start to become blurred especially in this era of multiple 'Christianism' aka denominations.

On assisting in Morning Masses, I think that should be 'daily' Mass as many parishes now have evening Masses.

Thanks
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Syncan(m): 9:39pm On Feb 21, 2015
PrettySpicey:
Thanks Syncan for the talk on Fasting. It's always nice to gain some clarity when issues start to become blurred especially in this era of multiple 'Christianism' aka denominations.

On assisting in Morning Masses, I think that should be 'daily' Mass as many parishes now have evening Masses.

Thanks

You're welcome dear. You're right about the no 7. being "daily" instead of "morning" mass, I just posted that part as published by Lagos Archdiocese unedited, but I believe it's "daily" they had in mind. Thanks and God bless you.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Nobody: 10:39pm On Feb 21, 2015
Good evening brothers and sisters. The Holy Church has been infected with many heresies Arianism, Iconoclasm, Catharism, Nestorianism, Protestantism and many other heresies. The greatest heresy facing us today is modernism. This heresy saddens me a lot and is largely behind groups like the SSPX who are truely trying to preserve tradition. While I don't agree with them I also don't blame them. Some of our Bishops are clearly heretics!! Look at what happened in that shameful Synod...or the aftermath of Vatican II and the infamous spirit of Vatican II. Our Lady of Perpetual Help pray for us. Let us all pray for the restoration of the Catholic faith Amen!!! I grew up Catholic but without the knowledge that the Catholic Church is the True Church...Kyrie Eleison. I thought we were just one of the denominations and I almost left the faith after reading a Seventh Day Adventist book. May our seminaries be strengthened in the name of the Lord. Immaculate Virgin pray for us.

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Catholics by Rich4god(m): 6:46am On Feb 22, 2015
LENTEN SUNDAY BANQUET: Gen. 9:8-15, 1 Pet. 3:18-22, Mt. 1:12-15. Being the first Sunday of Lent, the Church invites us to renew our covenant and relationship with God. Lent provides us with the opportunity to shed off our “spiritually tired and weak skin” in order to wear a more durable one for our Journey. Our first reading recounts the unconditional covenant specifically, between God and Noah; and generally, between God and humanity. This renewal must come from our sincere hearts, rather than from only our lips. Peter in the second reading reminds us of God’s New Covenant with us through Christ. He paid the great price in order to restore us to God. At every point in the Gospels, we are meant to identify with Jesus. God became man that man might become God. We participate in his and thereby learn what a godly life is like. The devil first tempts him to make his own sensual pleasure the centre of His life, to measure good and evil by what sensually satisfies Him. But Jesus reverses the momentum: "One does not live by bread alone..." Next, Satan takes Jesus to the parapet of the Temple and tempts him to make His ego the centre of his life, to make his own glory the measure of good and evil. But Jesus again counters: "You shall not put the Lord, your God, to the test." And then the devil takes him to a high mountain: "All these I shall give to you, if you will prostrate yourself and worship me." The temptation is to make power the centre of His life, to make of His own authority the measure of good and evil. But Jesus replies: "Get away, Satan! It is written: 'The Lord, your God, shall you worship and him alone shall you serve.' The account in Matthew ends with: "Then the devil left Him." At the word of Jesus, even Satan must depart. May the Lord deepen our understanding of Him and make it the reality in the conduct of our lives! Amen!! Happy Sunday!!!

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (313) (314) (315) (316) (317) (318) (319) ... (505) (Reply)

'How T.B. Joshua Took My Wife' – Pastor Peter Kayode Tells It All / The Non-Christian Chatbox ( sticky ) / Members Of Church Of Satan Meets Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 146
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.