Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,493 members, 7,808,825 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:31 PM

A Thread For Catholics - Religion (349) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / A Thread For Catholics (516895 Views)

Mary's Command For Catholics / Message Of God For Catholics And Jehovah Witnesses- Sister Linda Testimony / For Catholics: Who Is Your Favorite Saint? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (346) (347) (348) (349) (350) (351) (352) ... (505) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Thread For Catholics by Nobody: 5:55am On Apr 24, 2015
Syncan:

hahaha, that's a good one, but on which day?

By inference, my guess would be before the beginning of time.

God is responsible for everything in existence through creation. Darkness was either created or has been from eternity just like God.

I prefer to say that only God has the attribute of being eternal while all others derive their eternity through him. If darkness wasn't by itself eternal, then it was created.

Question is, who created it? If God didn't then it is either someone else did or it just simply existed. I would prefer to go with the popular saying: "God did it!" grin
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Rich4god(m): 7:11am On Apr 24, 2015
EASTER SPIRITUAL APPETISER: Acts 9:1-20, Jn 6:52-59. What will you do if the Lord calls you in a vision and ask that you go straight to Sambisa force and pray for Shekau? Definitely, we would question that vision and try to reason out something. Ananias in today's first reading display a high level of faith to respond positively to the God's call by laying his hand on Saul. The famous story of the conversion of Saul, as given in the first reading is packed with information and with understanding about God's ways. "God's ways are not our ways" is one of those wise sayings that prove true to us at so many points in our lives. This is one of those moments in St. Paul's life. Saul was busy about his life of persecuting the early Christian Church and the impossible seemed to happen. Saul the persecutor becomes Paul the apostle of the message of Christ to the Gentiles. What are those things that come into our lives "like a great light from the sky" and change our lives? It can be anything: a teaching at a retreat, an illness that suddenly knocks us off our despondency, a sudden loss of job and many other things. We need to be open to the ways that God comes into our lives, because even in distress there can be a gift from God. Like Saul in today's reading, we need to draw strength from God as Jesus tells us in the Gospel, eating the bread offered by Jesus and letting God be the centre of our lives. May the Lord grant us the courage to stand with Christ no matter what it may cause us! Amen!! Good morning and Have a pleasant day!!!

4 Likes

Re: A Thread For Catholics by SalC: 7:29am On Apr 24, 2015
Rich4god:
EASTER SPIRITUAL APPETISER: Acts 9:1-20, Jn 6:52-59. What will you do if the Lord calls you in a vision and ask that you go straight to Sambisa force and pray for Shekau? Definitely, we would question that vision and try to reason out something. Ananias in today's first reading display a high level of faith to respond positively to the God's call by laying his hand on Saul. The famous story of the conversion of Saul, as given in the first reading is packed with information and with understanding about God's ways. "God's ways are not our ways" is one of those wise sayings that prove true to us at so many points in our lives. This is one of those moments in St. Paul's life. Saul was busy about his life of persecuting the early Christian Church and the impossible seemed to happen. Saul the persecutor becomes Paul the apostle of the message of Christ to the Gentiles. What are those things that come into our lives "like a great light from the sky" and change our lives? It can be anything: a teaching at a retreat, an illness that suddenly knocks us off our despondency, a sudden loss of job and many other things. We need to be open to the ways that God comes into our lives, because even in distress there can be a gift from God. Like Saul in today's reading, we need to draw strength from God as Jesus tells us in the Gospel, eating the bread offered by Jesus and letting God be the centre of our lives. May the Lord grant us the courage to stand with Christ no matter what it may cause us! Amen!! Good morning and Have a pleasant day!!!
The bold got me thinking, is it always we boldly and confidently do what God asks us to do? I mean when we have decerned that yes, it is the Lord who speaks, especially when such tasks are the 'not so easy' type.

We are most times more interested in the ones we consider rather easier and the one we are almost certain of how it will turn out. But it shouldn't be so. If Abraham was like this, he wouldn't have left his fathers land to an unknown place, and if he had not left, he wouldn't had accomplished the great task ahead of him and certainly wouldn't be the father of faith today.

This is why I commend Peppyluv002 as she continues to preach the gospel of peace in sambisa.

We should learn to trust God in difficult and uncertain situation while obeying his every command. He knows what is best for us and his yoke is easy.

Good morning brethren and do have a fulfilled day ahead smiley
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Syncan(m): 10:22am On Apr 24, 2015
darknez:

By inference, my guess would be before the beginning of time.

God is responsible for everything in existence through creation. Darkness was either created or has been from eternity just like God.

I prefer to say that only God has the attribute of being eternal while all others derive their eternity through him. If darkness wasn't by itself eternal, then it was created.

Question is, who created it? If God didn't then it is either someone else did or it just simply existed. I would prefer to go with the popular saying: "God did it!" grin

Hmm...Well if i may say my own sha, asking who created "darkness" could be like asking who created "nothing", For just as darkness is the absence of light, "nothing" is the absence of "something". Before creation, there was nothing, yet one does not go about saying God created nothing.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Syncan(m): 10:28am On Apr 24, 2015
SalC:
The bold got me thinking, is it always we boldly and confidently do what God asks us to do? I mean when we have decerned that yes, it is the Lord who speaks, especially when such tasks are the 'not so easy' type.

We are most times more interested in the ones we consider rather easier and the one we are almost certain of how it will turn out. But it shouldn't be so. If Abraham was like this, he wouldn't have left his fathers land to an unknown place, and if he had not left, he wouldn't had accomplished the great task ahead of him and certainly wouldn't be the father of faith today.

This is why I commend Peppyluv002 as she continues to preach the gospel of peace in sambisa.

We should learn to trust God in difficult and uncertain situation while obeying his every command. He knows what is best for us and his yoke is easy.

Yes ooooo. More power to you elbow peppyluv02.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Nobody: 10:59am On Apr 24, 2015
cheesy cheesy cheesy Abeg na for dream o!

SalC:
Syncan:

Yes ooooo. More power to you elbow peppyluv02.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Nobody: 1:14pm On Apr 24, 2015
Did you all see the breaking news? Our very own Vatican was the target of an al Qaeda attack! They (20 of them)were arrested in Italy just before they tried to carry out the attack on the Holy See.
These people are calling for a 3rd World war! May God continue to help us.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Syncan(m): 1:22pm On Apr 24, 2015
peppyluv02:

Still well done to you, because even for dream dem no go fit send me that message .
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Syncan(m): 1:24pm On Apr 24, 2015
peppyluv02:
Did you all see the breaking news? Our very own Vatican was the target of an al Qaeda attack! They (20 of them)were arrested in Italy just before they tried to carry out the attack on the Holy See.

They had threatened to do that earlier, am not surprised. Let's continue to pray, there is real danger ahead.

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Catholics by Nobody: 1:27pm On Apr 24, 2015
"Pope rejects gay French diplomat Laurent Steffani,as an ambassador to the Holy See."

Good one I must say. As much as we don't judge them,we can't accept them working for us or representing us. It not good for the tarnished image and dignity of the church we are trying so hard to restore.

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: A Thread For Catholics by SalC: 2:02pm On Apr 24, 2015
peppyluv02:

No wahala just preach on cheesy
Re: A Thread For Catholics by SalC: 2:04pm On Apr 24, 2015
peppyluv02:
May God help us. Am just hearing this though.

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Catholics by SalC: 2:09pm On Apr 24, 2015
Syncan:

They had threatened to do that earlier, am not surprised. Let's continue to pray, there is real danger ahead.

I know of the threat by ISIL, never knew Al qaeda did same. May God save us from them all.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by SalC: 2:14pm On Apr 24, 2015
peppyluv02:
"Pope rejects gay French diplomat Laurent Steffani,as an ambassador to the Holy See."

Good one I must say. As much as we don't judge them,we can't accept them working for us or representing us. It not good for the tarnished image and dignity of the church we are trying so hard to restore.
Good radiance

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Catholics by Syncan(m): 2:54pm On Apr 24, 2015
SalC:

I know of the threat by ISIL, never knew Al qaeda did same. May God save us from them all.

Nne You may be right about the most recent threat, if you want to be specific. However for me, once such "fatwa" is given, its just a matter of "who go first catch am "among the terrorists.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Nobody: 6:49pm On Apr 24, 2015
Syncan:

Hmm...Well if i may say my own sha, asking who created "darkness" could be like asking who created "nothing", For just as darkness is the absence of light, "nothing" is the absence of "something". Before creation, there was nothing, yet one does not go about saying God created nothing.

That thought occurred to me but it wasn't very appealing, hence I dropped it. Absence of light is inadvertently implying an absence of God who we know is Light.

I believe God can (if he wants to) make it such that darkness exist nowhere. I believe he can (if he wants to) make it such no matter how we try make a room dark, light will always result. Looking at it from that perspective, I would say he created darkness.

What exactly is nothing? Empty space? If God created the Universe, then he did create nothing.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Syncan(m): 8:22pm On Apr 24, 2015
darknez:

That thought occurred to me but it wasn't very appealing, hence I dropped it. Absence of light is inadvertently implying an absence of God who we know is Light.

I believe God can (if he wants to) make it such that darkness exist nowhere. I believe he can (if he wants to) make it such no matter how we try make a room dark, light will always result. Looking at it from that perspective, I would say he created darkness.

What exactly is nothing? Empty space? If God created the Universe, then he did create nothing.

I won't want to prod you further in this line of thought as long as it stops with darkness, but that last sentence...somehow evokes a no no from the reader. No wahala bro, but beware, if Ubenedictus finds time he may want to sing and dance on this. cheesy.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by btoks: 6:26am On Apr 25, 2015
I throway salute.Have a wonderful weekend all.God bless.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by smoothpapuzy(m): 9:52am On Apr 25, 2015
Please advice me.
On two occasions, I've met with priest to hear my confession but they told they were busy and I should come on the day of confession.
As a Catholic I learnt that a priest will hear your confession anywhere you are, anywhere,.
But right there in the church, I was turned down by two different priest.
What if I had died, whose head would my sins lay?
Should I have bluntly reminded them it was there duty to save souls at any point in time?...

Please advice me, I need to know how to curb this!
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Nobody: 11:45am On Apr 25, 2015
peppyluv02:

A zillion dislikes!

If the story is exactly as it is stated up there then the Pope did not lead by example. The diplomat does not work for the Holy see, even if his appointment had been ratified. He works for France!

Caution must be applied when dealing with people, especially when such acts are from respected public figures. The act just made it right for an employer of labour to deny employment to someone on the grounds of his or her sexual orientation. This for me is not right!

Sin is sin! No two mortal sins are greater than the other. If the Church can keep Priests who molest little boys in her employment, I wonder why it cannot accept a foreign diplomat, employed by someone else.

I know the Church, when she acts in her capacity as TEACHER, does so with wisdom but in this case I see double standards, which for me is not a wise move.

I love the Church with ALL my heart and will ever be for her but this will not stop me from pointing out my displeasure with this act, if true. angry
Re: A Thread For Catholics by woky: 1:40pm On Apr 25, 2015
darknez:

A zillion dislikes!

If the story is exactly as it is stated up there then the Pope did not lead by example. The diplomat does not work for the Holy see, even if his appointment had been ratified. He works for France!

Caution must be applied when dealing with people, especially when such acts are from respected public figures. The act just made it right for an employer of labour to deny employment to someone on the grounds of his or her sexual orientation. This for me is not right!

Sin is sin! No two mortal sins are greater than the other. If the Church can keep Priests who molest little boys in her employment, I wonder why it cannot accept a foreign diplomat, employed by someone else.

I know the Church, when she acts in her capacity as TEACHER, does so with wisdom but in this case I see double standards, which for me is not a wise move.

I love the Church with ALL my heart and will ever be for her but this will not stop me from pointing out my displeasure with this act, if true. angry
this post really got me thinking
Re: A Thread For Catholics by woky: 1:45pm On Apr 25, 2015
btoks:
I throway salute.Have a wonderful weekend all.God bless.
I catch your Salute bro... God bless you too
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Syncan(m): 12:02am On Apr 26, 2015
smoothpapuzy:
Please advice me.
On two occasions, I've met with priest to hear my confession but they told they were busy and I should come on the day of confession.
As a Catholic I learnt that a priest will hear your confession anywhere you are, anywhere,.
But right there in the church, I was turned down by two different priest.
What if I had died, whose head would my sins lay?
Should I have bluntly reminded them it was there duty to save souls at any point in time?...

Please advice me, I need to know how to curb this!

For your sake, I will advise you not to take lightly the sacrament of penance, prepare yourself for it with the neccesary examination of conscience, contrition for your sin and resolution not to commit mortal sin again. When you do this, you'll be able to put into consideration the parish set time for confession, and make your preparations towards the day. If you can, get a spiritual director. I will not advise you to try force a priest to hear your confession. Let me stop here for now.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Aizenosa(m): 12:33am On Apr 26, 2015
Hey to u all just wanna wish u all a happy sunday, youth service will soon be on d way for me don't know hw it would be like anyway just saying hi to u all kissHey to u all just wanna wish u all a happy sunday, youth service will soon be on d way for me don't know hw it would be like anyway just saying hi to u all smiley smiley smiley
Re: A Thread For Catholics by brocab: 2:20am On Apr 26, 2015
Wouldn't it be great if had that happy Sabbath Saturday back in order. cool
Aizenosa:
Hey to u all just wanna wish u all a happy sunday, youth service will soon be on d way for me don't know hw it would be like anyway just saying hi to u all kissHey to u all just wanna wish u all a happy sunday, youth service will soon be on d way for me don't know hw it would be like anyway just saying hi to u all smiley smiley smiley
Re: A Thread For Catholics by brocab: 2:23am On Apr 26, 2015
Finely I hear the truth..
Syncan:

Re: A Thread For Catholics by Kamsified: 3:39am On Apr 26, 2015
peppyluv02:

My name is Kamsified cool and I endorse this post

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: A Thread For Catholics by jnrbayano(m): 7:35am On Apr 26, 2015
"Kindness is the language which the deaf can hear and the blind can see."

<<<Mark Twain>>>

Happy Sunday all.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by dynamicbuzz(f): 7:48am On Apr 26, 2015
Please I have got a question, when praying the 54 day novena, and mistakenly skip a day, can one pray that day's prayer into the next day?
Re: A Thread For Catholics by smoothpapuzy(m): 8:15am On Apr 26, 2015
Syncan:

For your sake, I will advise you not to take lightly the sacrament of penance, prepare yourself for it with the neccesary examination of conscience, contrition for your sin and resolution not to commit mortal sin again. When you do this, you'll be able to put into consideration the parish set time for confession, and make your preparations towards the day. If you can, get a spiritual director. I will not advise you to try force a priest to hear your confession. Let me stop here for now.

But do you agree with me that the priests neglected there duty?
I mean, I don't own my life and can be called at anytime. What if other people have died as a result of the negligence!
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Nobody: 11:37am On Apr 26, 2015
Happy Sunday to you too and everyone.
Congrats in advance,it's a wonderful experience I tell you but never forget your priorities,don't get carried away,do the right thing and move with the right people in order to stay out of trouble and be accepted by your host community. Do things that will touch the lives of the people you are sent to serve positively.
Above all,join NACC (national association of catholic corp members) right from camp. All the best dear.

Aizenosa:

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Catholics by Rich4god(m): 12:12pm On Apr 26, 2015
THE GOOD SHEPHERD'S PASTURE IS EVER GREEN: Acts 4:8-23, I Jn 3:1-2, Jn 10:11-18. On this forth Sunday of Easter, we celebrate Christ, the Good Shepherd. He is the Good Shepherd who passed through many kinds of sufferings and even death in order to lead us safely to the Father in Heaven. Today as we celebrate Him, the Church presents Him to us as true model of leadership. In the first reading from Acts of the Apostles, Peter testified through his miracle and testimony that Jesus is actually the Good Shepherd who continues to heal and care for us His flock. Our second reading presents us with one very important quality of Jesus the Good Shepherd. John in today's Gospel, tells us the qualities of both the good shepherd and those of a good flock. The good shepherd takes care of his flock. He is patient, with them; he loves and never harms them, he is available to them at all times and, is ready to make sacrifices for their good. On the other hand, a good flock listens to their shepherd, obeys his instructions and follows him with trust and confidence. As we celebrate Christ the Good Shepherd today, we are also reminded that we are all shepherds in one way or the other. This is because each one of us is occupying one leadership position or the other. This means we should learn the qualities of Jesus the Good Shepherd. A good mother or father is a good shepherd, a good president or good priest, a good youth, a good police or military officer, a good doctor, teacher, musician, mechanic, accountant, lawyer, secretary, cook, cleaner, gardener is a good shepherd. Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make our hearts like unto yours! Amen!! Good morning, Happy Sunday!!!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (346) (347) (348) (349) (350) (351) (352) ... (505) (Reply)

'How T.B. Joshua Took My Wife' – Pastor Peter Kayode Tells It All / The Non-Christian Chatbox ( sticky ) / Members Of Church Of Satan Meets Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.