Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,999 members, 7,806,902 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 06:44 AM

A Thread For Catholics - Religion (470) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / A Thread For Catholics (516721 Views)

Mary's Command For Catholics / Message Of God For Catholics And Jehovah Witnesses- Sister Linda Testimony / For Catholics: Who Is Your Favorite Saint? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (467) (468) (469) (470) (471) (472) (473) ... (505) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Thread For Catholics by Kamsified: 8:12am On Mar 12, 2017
SalC:
Giving up kitchen is a way of getting back at food

smiley smiley smiley what won't i hear grin
grin nne u won't understand as e pain me reach
Just found an opportunity to send a strong message to food.
Like; who u epp? grin grin grin grin
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Kamsified: 8:14am On Mar 12, 2017
HurricaneChris my brother, if u say good morning to us,
your mb won't finish sad

Happy Sunday bros

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Catholics by Ubenedictus(m): 1:23pm On Mar 12, 2017
Kamsified:

Lol just like Uben, I'm enjoying the period as well. Imagine upon all the food I've bn eating for the past 10 years, I've not increased in height one bit angry. Na that one pain me pass
Giving up kitchen is a way of getting back at food

Lol, weytin person no go hear?
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Ubenedictus(m): 1:24pm On Mar 12, 2017
Kamsified:

Excuse rejected with 2hands

Most things we hear in church are usually things we've heard before. So they should assume everyone knows it n close church
Besides, those messages are not necessarily for Syncan or SalC, random people visit some of these threads and could get blessed by a message as simple as 'Jesus loves you'

On a second third thought, Syncan is equally guilty here mtchew

i agree, syncan where art thou? I also remember so of d best posts i have read on NL were written by syncan.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Syncan(m): 1:45pm On Mar 12, 2017
Kamsified:

Excuse rejected with 2hands

Most things we hear in church are usually things we've heard before. So they should assume everyone knows it n close church
Besides, those messages are not necessarily for Syncan or SalC, random people visit some of these threads and could get blessed by a message as simple as 'Jesus loves you'

On a second third thought, Syncan is equally guilty here mtchew

The last line...now I see the lent isn't working on you as much as I thought.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Syncan(m): 1:48pm On Mar 12, 2017
Ubenedictus:
i agree, syncan where art thou? I also remember so of d best posts i have read on NL were written by syncan.

Chai, he misses the main point.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by hurricaneChris: 2:36pm On Mar 12, 2017
Kamsified:
HurricaneChris my brother, if u say good morning to us,
your mb won't finish sad

Happy Sunday bros

Hehehe Kamsi nwanyi oma. Iwe ewela unu.

I thought I succeeded in appearing in ghost mode, didnt know I was visible to mortals cheesy.

Good afternoon my brothers and sisters.
i'm just here waiting for who will ring my line, to come eat sunday rice.

Ehmm SalC, (in John the Baptist's disciples' voice) are you the one cooking rice for us today, or should we expect from another person?

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Catholics by Ubenedictus(m): 2:37pm On Mar 12, 2017
Syncan:

Chai, he misses the main point.
We see what we want to see.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Ubenedictus(m): 3:38pm On Mar 12, 2017
OK, today's gospel was the trasfiguration narrative and whenever i hear it this passage enters my mind
And we all, who with unveiled faces
contemplate the Lord’s glory, are being
transformed into his image with ever-increasing glory, which comes from the Lord, who is the Spirit.

To put it simply God is interested in performing a transfiguration miracle in us... and all we need to do is---"contemplate the Lord's glory with faces unvieled".

ok, let us recall that without holiness no one can see God and that God wants to bring us to himself without spot or stain, to do this he knows that we are too weak so he wants to mold us into the image of the sinless one, that is what began at baptism... he says:
Colossians 3:10 And have put on the new self, which is being
renewed in knowledge after the image of its
creator.

so:
1. God has given us a new self for our journey since the old one was too weak.
2. This new self we received must be constantly renewed.

Tb continued

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Catholics by Ubenedictus(m): 3:59pm On Mar 12, 2017
3. The key to this transfiguration into the image of Christ is to contemplate(look at) his face with unvieled eyes.

During lent we usually try to aviod maybe one sin or maybe practice one virtue... But maybe we are missing the full picture of lent... Maybe it isn't just about trying to avoid sin but about trying to look more intently on Christ and this gaze of love is what transforms us until we drop our imperfections for the perfections in christ Jesus?

Any way let us continue, st paul says we already have a new self but it needs renewal until it is totally transformed then he says: 2 Thessalonians 3:5 Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind.Then you will be able to test and approve what
God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.

Here he tells us the renewal transforms our mind not really our bodies, actually he says our body may be wasting away but our mind is been renewed so as to descern God's will

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Catholics by Ubenedictus(m): 4:36pm On Mar 12, 2017
4. This renewal sets us apart from the world Galatians 3:27 For as many of you as were baptized into
Christ have put on Christ.
and brings us to Christ.
I could continue quoting passages about this transformation God wishes to perform but the points are the same, the path of holiness is to become a new Christ and be molded to his image...and the way to defeat all sin is pretty simple "LOOK AT JESUS". We are transform simply by opening our heart and looking without obstruction.

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Catholics by Syncan(m): 5:00pm On Mar 12, 2017
Ubenedictus:

3. The key to this transfiguration into the image of Christ is to contemplate(look at) his face with unvieled eyes.
During lent we usually try to aviod maybe one sin or maybe practice one virtue... But maybe we are missing the full picture of lent... Maybe it isn't just about trying to avoid sin but about trying to look more intently on Christ and this gaze of love is what transforms us until we drop our imperfections for the perfections in christ Jesus?...

Ubenedictus:
... the path of holiness is to become a new Christ and be molded to his image...and the way to defeat all sin is pretty simple "LOOK AT JESUS". We are transform simply by opening our heart and looking without obstruction. Transforming grace accumulates and activate by contemplating the Lord's glory.

Thank you very much Uben.

With the above quotes in mind, could you offer a kind of practical aid for one who wants to do this, like...here am I... I want to do what you just said, how do I begin, what do you recommend for me this lent?
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Ubenedictus(m): 5:10pm On Mar 12, 2017
Syncan:

With the above quotes in mind, could you offer a kind of practical aid for one who wants to do this, like...here am I... I want to do what you just said, how do I begin, what do you recommend for me this lent?

I did give practical advice, i just checked now and it seems my last post was cut and half of it was lost. i wanted my next post to be abt what not to do in lent and then a summary. let me see if i can rewrite d last post.

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Catholics by Ubenedictus(m): 5:56pm On Mar 12, 2017
And we all, with unveiled face, beholding the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from one degree of glory to another. For this comes from the Lord
who is the Spirit.

How to gaze on the Lord's glory
2 Corinthians 4:6 6 For God, who said, “Let light shine out of darkness,”[a] made his light shine in our hearts to give us the light of the knowledge of God’s glory displayed in the face of Christ.

The glory of God is found in Christ face and we contemplate that in in mainly 3 ways:
1. The eucharist, d disciple at emmaus recognise Jesus at the breaking of bread, here he shows us the fulness of his love. We see who he is if we look intently and he transform us.

2.The scriptures, in them we see who God is, his love, his power to save.
3. The sacraments, he we see who God truly is, the merciful one, the redeemer, savior, healer, sanctifier...

In this places God show us his glory and the more we mediatatively participate in these, the more grace flourish and sin is defeated.

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Catholics by Ubenedictus(m): 6:16pm On Mar 12, 2017
thing to avoid in lent

There are 2 thing I have done before in lent which didnt help me.

1. Overconfidence in my efforts alone: I did lent one year with a negligent prayer life. I tried everyday, every thing i could tnm defeat a sin, well i was defeated severally and heavily fraustrated, it is not by power or by might. If u are in lent without prayer or thinking u can do it on ur own, well think again that is the exact recipe for failure.
Psalm 16:8 I keep my eyes always on the LORD. With him at my right hand, I will not be shaken.

2. Starting with the law: i started lent one year with the commandments, it was then i understood what paul meant when he said the law was for the knowledge of sin not to make a man just. Start by remembering grace that helps u live like Christ and call that grace in face of temptation u may find out that u didnt break a single commandment in lent. maybe u will even extend d practice outside lent.

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Catholics by Aizenosa(m): 6:25pm On Mar 12, 2017
Thank u bros Uben for this explicitly detailed piece, I learned something new today. Thank u, may the good lord give us the grace to truly be that which he has made us to be inwardly and outwardly. Amen.

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Catholics by Ubenedictus(m): 6:38pm On Mar 12, 2017
SUMMARY
Let me apologise 1st for d long story, these thoughts have been bubbling in my head 4 abt 1 week and colating them wasnt easy. Forgive d incoherence therein.
If all that seem greek to u abeg forget am and maybe try d summary.

The koko is this:
1.At baptism God made us new persons, and this new man that we are is capable of been exactly like Jesus the holy one.
2. To be exactly like Jesus we need to constantly renew the new man gradually transforming it.
3. We do not achieve this transformation by our efforts, it is mainly by grace and all we need to do is keep our heart fixed on Jesus, the more we see Jesus the more the vision transform us.
4. We see Jesus' face when we mediate on his words, when we receive sacraments esp the eucharist, if u can follow these in\with our hearts then we may see that renewing power.
5. You won't have power over d flesh, the world and the devil unless by letting grace work and d key to this grace is drawing closer to Christ...
think about it
Re: A Thread For Catholics by easymancfc(m): 8:39pm On Mar 12, 2017
Wonderful piece Uben... It is indeed Grace that sustains us.. and this grace flows from the sacraments (reconciliation and the Eucharist) and scripture ... May this grace continue to strengthen us to do HIS will and as 1 Peter 1:2b says May grace and peace be multiplied to you.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Thread For Catholics by Ubenedictus(m): 8:55pm On Mar 12, 2017
Aizenosa:
Thank u bros Uben for this explicitly detailed piece, I learned something new today. Thank u, may the good lord give us the grace to truly be that which he has made us to be inwardly and outwardly. Amen.
Thank God sum1 saw sumtin useful there.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Ubenedictus(m): 9:16pm On Mar 12, 2017
Syncan:

Spend time at mass, maybe daily masses, daily communion, read scriptures... like a lot...pursue avenues of grace, keep your thoughts on Christ as much as possible...it is all back to the basics.
The main point is that we do good and avoid sin by going close to Christ. It is affinity to Christ that generates a good xtian life not the other way round.

Funny enuf these thoughts came after reading 1jn 3, i encourage every1 to take a look.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Syncan(m): 9:48pm On Mar 12, 2017
Ubenedictus:
Spend time at mass, maybe daily masses, daily communion, read scriptures... like a lot...pursue avenues of grace, keep your thoughts on Christ as much as possible...it is all back to the basics.
The main point is that we do good and avoid sin by going close to Christ. It is affinity to Christ that generates a good xtian life not the other way round.

Funny enuf these thoughts came after reading 1jn 3, i encourage every1 to take a look.

Thanks. Great message, I enjoyed your posts. 1Jn 3 is wonderful, even the fatherly and tender way of writing it by St. John is touching.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Kamsified: 2:49am On Mar 13, 2017
hurricaneChris:

Hehehe Kamsi nwanyi oma. Iwe ewela unu.

I thought I succeeded in appearing in ghost mode, didnt know I was visible to mortals cheesy.

Good afternoon my brothers and sisters.
i'm just here waiting for who will ring my line, to come eat sunday rice.

Ehmm SalC, (in John the Baptist's disciples' voice) are you the one cooking rice for us today, or should we expect from another person?
I'm happy i caughteth thou red-handed peeping grin
Nice to hear from u bro.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Kamsified: 3:12am On Mar 13, 2017
Ubenedictus:

During lent we usually try to aviod maybe one sin or maybe practice one virtue... But maybe we are missing the full picture of lent... Maybe it isn't just about trying to avoid sin but about trying to look more intently on Christ and this gaze of love is what transforms us until we drop our imperfections for the perfections in christ Jesus?

Any way let us continue, st paul says we already have a new self but it needs renewal until it is totally transformed then he says: 2 Thessalonians 3:5 Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind.Then you will be able to test and approve what
God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.

Here he tells us the renewal transforms our mind not really our bodies, actually he says our body may be wasting away but our mind is been renewed so as to descern God's will

Thank u so much bro. God bless u real good.
I'm very happy I joined in calling u out.
The message in bold is well received.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Kamsified: 3:21am On Mar 13, 2017
Aizenosa:

Long time bro. How have u been?
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Kamsified: 3:22am On Mar 13, 2017
easymancfc:
Wonderful piece Uben... It is indeed Grace that sustains us.. and this grace flows from the sacraments (reconciliation and the Eucharist) and scripture ... May this grace continue to strengthen us to do HIS will and as 1 Peter 1:2b says May grace and peace be multiplied to you.

Amen Amen I say
Re: A Thread For Catholics by SalC: 8:22am On Mar 13, 2017
Aizenosa:
What did you learn?
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Kamsified: 8:23am On Mar 13, 2017
*listening to*

Deeper, deeper in the love of Jesus
Daily let me go;
Higher, higher in the school of wisdom,
More of grace to know.

Refrain:
Oh, deeper yet, I pray,
And higher every day,
And wiser, blessed Lord,
In Thy precious, holy Word.

Deeper, deeper, blessed Holy Spirit,
Take me deeper still,
Till my life is wholly lost in Jesus,
And His perfect will.

Deeper, deeper! though it cost hard trials,
Deeper let me go!
Rooted in the holy love of Jesus,
Let me fruitful grow.

Deeper, higher, every day in Jesus,
Till all conflict past,
Finds me conqu’ror, and in His own image
Perfected at last.

Deeper, deeper in the faith of Jesus,
Holy faith and true;
In His pow’r and soul exulting wisdom
Let me peace pursue.

Good morning brethren and Have a blessed week

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Catholics by Kamsified: 8:25am On Mar 13, 2017
Sighting Syncan and SalC with my big old binoculars
Re: A Thread For Catholics by SalC: 8:33am On Mar 13, 2017
I have this question that has been on my mind.

But.......

Good morning brethren and do have a grace filled day smiley
Re: A Thread For Catholics by SalC: 8:36am On Mar 13, 2017
Kamsified:
Sighting Syncan and SalC with my big old binoculars

Firstlady good morning to you smiley
Re: A Thread For Catholics by SalC: 8:38am On Mar 13, 2017
@ Ubenedictus that's a good exultation.

May the grace of God keep flowing in you.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Kamsified: 8:41am On Mar 13, 2017
SalC:
I have this question that has been on my mind.

But.......

Good morning brethren and do have a grace filled day smiley
Go ahead nne.
I know d elders are not far away wink

(1) (2) (3) ... (467) (468) (469) (470) (471) (472) (473) ... (505) (Reply)

'How T.B. Joshua Took My Wife' – Pastor Peter Kayode Tells It All / The Non-Christian Chatbox ( sticky ) / Members Of Church Of Satan Meets Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.