Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,589 members, 7,801,683 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 08:08 PM

A Thread For Catholics - Religion (471) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / A Thread For Catholics (516165 Views)

Mary's Command For Catholics / Message Of God For Catholics And Jehovah Witnesses- Sister Linda Testimony / For Catholics: Who Is Your Favorite Saint? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (468) (469) (470) (471) (472) (473) (474) ... (505) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Thread For Catholics by SalC: 9:16am On Mar 13, 2017
Kamsified:

Go ahead nne.
I know d elders are not far away wink
Believe me, this question is not just for the elders but for all of us.

You see, every now and then i see people preaching or at least striving to do God's will and worship him.
At closer observation i noticed it's usually for two main reasons.
1) Because we want to please him and thereby obtain the good things he promised those who serve and worship him here on earth and also to inherit his kingdom in the hereafter.

2) Because we are scared of disobeying him and ending up in hell or being eternally destroyed as the case maybe.

Now my question is,..What if God never promised us any reward especially inheriting his kingdom or eternal joy. What if he never said anything about eternal damnation but only demand we do good and worship him because he created us and is deserving of our love obedience and worship.

Can we truly worship him if the above is the case?
To re-phrase, can we worship God without expecting anything in return?

I need personal answers.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Syncan(m): 9:41am On Mar 13, 2017
Kamsified:
Sighting Syncan and SalC with my big old binoculars

Good morning to you, A splendid day ahead to all.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Syncan(m): 11:07am On Mar 13, 2017
SalC:

You see, every now and then i see people preaching or at least striving to do God's will and worship him.
1) Because we want to please him and thereby obtain the good things he promised those who serve and worship him here on earth and also to inherit his kingdom in the hereafter.

2) Because we are scared of disobey him and ending up in hell or being eternally destroyed as the case maybe.

Now my question is,..What if God never promised us any reward especially inheriting his kingdom or eternal joy. What if he never said anything about eternal damnation but only demand we do good and worship him because he created us and is deserving of our love obedience and worship.

I need personal answers.

It's a bit complicated what you ask SalC to be honest. When there exists good and bad there exists judgement, there exists consequence as well. From the beginning God made it so. Imagine if there was no consequence of death for Adam's eating of the forbidden tree, that he disobeyed God and nothing happened, things were still normal and there was no death, Jesus will not come, even the very existence of God will be doubted, things will neither be good nor bad, as the very existence of both suggests consequences.

In my opinion, God does not demand that I serve him without expectation, as a matter of fact one of the first things I learnt about God is why I was made, and what I was taught was that He "made me to know Him; love Him; serve Him in this world, that I may be with Him in the world to come". So from the very start, the prospect of being eternally with the good Creator is a reward placed before me. So as each day goes, I come to know Him; because He exists, I come to love Him; because He is nice and showed me love first, I come to serve Him; because I recognize that He made all things, yet I do all these because I look forward to being with Him in eternity.

2 Likes

Re: A Thread For Catholics by Ubenedictus(m): 11:54am On Mar 13, 2017
SalC:

2) Because we are scared of disobey him and ending up in hell or being eternally destroyed as the case maybe.

I need personal answers.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by MummyIMadeIt: 12:32am On Mar 14, 2017
YEP MUCH KUDOS TO YOU GUYS ESPECIALLY THE MISSIONARIES OF THE EARLY DAYS..........

BUT IT SADDENS TO NOTE HOW ESPECIALLY THIS DAYS YOU GUYS ARE MUCH MORE MATERIALISTIC INCLINED THUS DEVIATING FROM THE TRUE PURPOSE..........NEVERTHELESS THE PAULINE DOCTRINE YOU CLAIM TO PRACTICE NEVER ASSOCIATES ITSELF WITH REVERENCE AND WORSHIP FOR IDOL THUS PRACTICING IDOLATRY.

MEANWHILE THE ISSUE OF PODIATRY IS ANOTHER CLEAR EXAMPLE OF AN INDUCED DOCTRINE INTO THE PAGES OF THE PAULINE TEACHINGS
Re: A Thread For Catholics by jnrbayano(m): 7:48am On Mar 14, 2017
SalC:

I need personal answers.

Daniel 3:17-18

"If it be so, our God whom we serve is able to deliver us from the burning fiery furnace, and he will deliver us out of thine hand, O king. But if not, be it known unto thee, O king, that we will not serve thy gods, nor worship the golden image which thou hast set up."

Shedrack, Meshak and Abednego examplified worshipping and loving God majorly for the sake of it and minorly for God's rewards.

Just pay attention to the bold.

Regrettably, I haven't loved and worshipped God for a second without expecting something in return. Yet, they were pre-Jesus (less advantaged) and I am post-Jesus (Privileged)

Shame on me!

3 Likes

Re: A Thread For Catholics by Aizenosa(m): 7:57am On Mar 14, 2017
Kamsified:

Long time bro. How have u been?

I dey one corner dey try ooo and Lent is going great too.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Aizenosa(m): 8:14am On Mar 14, 2017
SalC:
What did you learn?

I did learn, it's not just by strength, will, setting of what to achieve that we become one in Christ, though

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Catholics by Aizenosa(m): 8:23am On Mar 14, 2017
SalC:
What did you learn?

This is just the summary of what I have learned.

During lent we usually try to avoid maybe one sin or maybe practice one virtue... But maybe we are missing the full picture of lent... Maybe it isn't just about trying to avoid sin but about trying to look more intently on Christ and his gaze of love is what transforms us until we drop our imperfections for the perfections in christ Jesus? Anyway let us continue, St Paul says we already have a new self but it needs renewal until it is totally transformed then he says: 2 Thessalonians 3:5 Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will. Here he tells us the renewal transforms our mind and not really our bodies, actually, he says our body may be wasting away but our mind is been renewed so as to descern God's will.

Very short but this is something I have always tried understanding. Thanks again Uben.

3 Likes

Re: A Thread For Catholics by Kamsified: 11:23am On Mar 14, 2017
SalC:

I need personal answers.

I think number 2 is d koko. The same God that gave us the commandments also gave us the liberty to keep or not keep them. But there has to be consequences for the latter at least.
If there was no consequence(s) for not following the law, there might as well be no law in the first place.
Imagine a world where a church member is free to kill another church member for disagreeing with him over the church building project and be sure nothing will happen. That will be confusion and God is not an author of one.

If there was no consequence for over speeding, more people would've died from road accident. At least jnrbayano only reduces his speed once he sees law enforcement agencies. Ok na continue. Even Rich4god won't put on his seat belt unless he sees road safety officials.(you think you're doing me, you're just doing yourself). Salc that is asking this question will wake up any time she likes, say around noon and after lazying around till 3pm, she'll go to work by 3pm and close by 5pm and expect her salary at the end of the month without delay. U go dey alright u hear?
Francistony won't even read, he'll just carry like the lecture textbooks or handouts into the exam hall.

Oh Btw Kamsified would've bn the only one that'll remain a good Catholic girl cool come rain come shine

Why should i continue coming to work at 8a.m and SalC that comes in at 5pm gets the same paycheck?
If there's no reward for coming in at 8 daily and no consequence for coming in 7hours later, that will be confusion.
So remove 1 and 2, I see a world so chaotic that we can't even differentiate right from wrong again; And the aim would be totally defeated

To your question in bold, I'd say no cos I won't even know how

2 Likes

Re: A Thread For Catholics by Nobody: 5:43pm On Mar 14, 2017
Kamsified:
Looking for Francistony and bluerange
grin
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Kamsified: 4:04am On Mar 15, 2017
FrancisTony:
grin

And he answered.
HI dear how have u bn? So nice to see u
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Nobody: 11:54pm On Mar 16, 2017
Kamsified:

And he answered.
HI dear how have u bn? So nice to see u
I've be around..

Thanks!
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Kamsified: 9:37am On Mar 17, 2017
FrancisTony:

I've be around..

Thanks!

You're welcome dear.

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Catholics by Kamsified: 9:38am On Mar 17, 2017
Good morning brethren

Why the house quiet like this?

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Catholics by SalC: 10:40pm On Mar 17, 2017
Kamsified:
Good morning brethren

Why the house quiet like this?
Because we are waiting for you to heat it up
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Kamsified: 3:17am On Mar 18, 2017
SalC:
Because we are waiting for you to heat it up

Me that gave up the kitchen for lent. Where will I see heat
Re: A Thread For Catholics by SalC: 7:51am On Mar 18, 2017
Kamsified:

Me that gave up the kitchen for lent. Where will I see heat
3:17am? shocked

Then go back to kitchen and find heat smiley
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Kamsified: 3:58pm On Mar 18, 2017
SalC:

3:17am? shocked

Then go back to kitchen and find heat smiley

Nah i only woke up to drink water
until easter before I go back to that kitchen again
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Nobody: 10:37pm On Mar 22, 2017

Re: A Thread For Catholics by Nobody: 10:56pm On Mar 22, 2017
Cameroonians killing the Igbo language in style! cheesy

I thought the choreography could have been better. I'll give them a pass for efforts nonetheless.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLhEBa_McM0

(by the University of Buea Choir (Cameroon))
Re: A Thread For Catholics by chikk(f): 1:02pm On Mar 23, 2017
SalC:

I need personal answers.

I think the people that responded already said it all but since you want personal answers, let me try and add mine.

Like syncan said(abi Na uben, walahi these two people...), the sole reason we were created is your number one point. Our struggles and journey in this life is to attain that which God promised in the life to come, and loving God, pleasing Him and doing all he commands is the path God chose to achieve this. Like kamsy said, every action has a consequence or in this case, a reward.

The question "WHY" brings about another "HOW".

Q: Why did God create me
A: (to serve him in this world but ultimately), ...that I may be with him in the world to come.
Q: How do I achieve this
A: By knowing Him, loving him, pleasing Him, serving Him in this world...

So I think whoever is doing this is on point

No 2 follows no1. The thought of ending up in a place contrary to where God intended for us is and should be scary. However, I think what's worthy of note here is the fact that we fear the place(hell) instead of He who can condemn us to hell. We fear the thought or idea of the punishment and suffering in hell(which isn't bad cos hell isn't a good place) but I believe we should be more concerned about how we make HIM feel, who created us for a said purpose and even paid the ultimate price for our sake, yet watches us derail daily.

Your summary question therefore is valid because it all sounds like if we eventually do make heaven, we won't care to worship God again eternally since we have finally "arrived". Or if there was no option of hell and the choices were: either serve God and be with him eternally, or don't serve him and wander in void and oblivion eternally; I think alot of people won't care. Many will choose to do whatever they like on earth in the name of enjoyment and it all ends when they are dead.

So I think our fears are a little bit misplaced and if that's the case, I fear the answer to your question is NO. However, if we can (or do) understand that we please God for an greater purpose other than avoiding hell or just to get our petitions granted, we will come to love God more and serve him in truth and in spirit. Then your answer will be YES.

I rambled on for long, don't know if I communicated. Una Good afternoon o

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Thread For Catholics by Ubenedictus(m): 3:55pm On Mar 24, 2017
today na station of the cross, make we no forget oh.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Ubenedictus(m): 9:53pm On Mar 24, 2017
hahn are u still there?
Re: A Thread For Catholics by hahn(m): 9:54pm On Mar 24, 2017
Ubenedictus:
hahn are u still there?

Yeah man. Still observing
Re: A Thread For Catholics by hurricaneChris: 11:46am On Mar 30, 2017
Happy birthday to me cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Syncan(m): 11:25pm On Mar 30, 2017
hurricaneChris:

Happy birthday bro, many happy years ahead. May your lines fall for you in pleasant places. God bless you.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by SalC: 7:50am On Mar 31, 2017
hurricaneChris:
May only the best come your way.

Belated birthday shout out to you HCman smiley
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Ubenedictus(m): 9:13am On Mar 31, 2017
hurricaneChris:
Happy biaday HC, may God satisfy u with himself and grant u his bountiful blessings.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Kamsified: 8:32am On Apr 01, 2017
Good morning and Happy new month brethren
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Kamsified: 8:36am On Apr 01, 2017
hurricaneChris:
Happy belated birthday dearie.
May you grow on every side in this new year. Amen
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Ubenedictus(m): 10:27am On Apr 01, 2017
I do not how many of us has doubts about what the church teaches about mary or will like to deepen the knowledge on mariology and see how it connects perfectly with the bible.
Anyway i found a beautiful online free course that anyone can enjoy during the few lenten days remaining, it is beautifully biblical, doctrinally sound and i hope will effect our spiritual life positively.

It is by Dr Hahn, the writter of rome sweet home and i heartily encourage everyone to at least glance through it. It contains invaluable resources.

Here is d link
https://stpaulcenter.com/studies/lesson/lesson-one-a-biblical-introduction-to-mary

2 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) ... (468) (469) (470) (471) (472) (473) (474) ... (505) (Reply)

'How T.B. Joshua Took My Wife' – Pastor Peter Kayode Tells It All / The Non-Christian Chatbox ( sticky ) / Members Of Church Of Satan Meets Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.