Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,286 members, 7,807,971 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:33 AM

Shoprite Coming To Ilupeju? - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Shoprite Coming To Ilupeju? (13452 Views)

Another Shoprite Coming To Nigeria. / Shoprite Ibadan Imports Banana And Watermelon From Ghana And SA / Shoprite Coming To Asaba, Delta State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Shoprite Coming To Ilupeju? by leMuhito(f): 8:44am On Oct 05, 2013
Source: http://www.ilupejutoday.com/shoprite-coming-to-ilupeju/

South African supermarket giant, Shoprite, may soon open an outlet in Ilupeju. The continent’s biggest grocer is expanding its presence in Nigeria with 44 new outlets set to open across the country over the next three to four years.

The Chief Executive Officer of Shoprite, Mr. Whitey Basson, in a statement published in a Bloomberg report on August 20, 2013, was quoted as saying the company saw scope for the new outlets in oil-rich Nigeria where its existing eight outlets are faring pretty well despite a tough economy. The new outlets will increase the number of Shoprite stores in Nigeria to over fifty.

One of them will be in Ilupeju, according to informed sources, who would rather remain anonymous as they are not officially authorized to comment on the issue at this time.

Those sources tell Ilupeju Today Newspaper that a vast tract of land has been acquired in Ilupeju for the development of a shopping mall which will feature Shoprite as the anchor tenant.

That parcel of land is said to be located near the Industrial Crescent end of Town Planning Way and currently houses warehouses, office complexes, a trucking company, and numerous industrial concerns. The land is reported to be several hectares large, and will comfortably accommodate a shopping mall of the size required for a Shoprite outlet with ample space left over for parking and other services such as a a power generating plant, a loading dock, and waste collection and disposal facilities.

Current occupants of the space have been given until December 2013 to quit the premises, as development of the mall is slated to commence in January 2014. Construction is estimated to last one year.

Without a doubt, the establishment of a Shoprite in Ilupeju will bring benefits to the community. Other high-end retailers will piggy-back on Shoprite and open outlets in the Ilupeju mall. Deep-pocketed shoppers from both Ilupeju and neighbouring communities will come to spend money in Ilupeju, boosting the local economy. Local unemployment levels will drop as many of the shops in the mall will employ locally. Local artisans, local contractors, and locally sourced raw materials will be in greater demand. Support businesses will spring up in the vicinity of the mall.

The area surrounding the shopping mall and the entire Ilupeju environment will undergo gentrification, a process of urban renewal and rebuilding that will accompany the entry of Shoprite and other shops, as existing businesses, buildings, and infrastructure “pull themselves up by the bootstraps” to meet up to the aesthetic and modernistic standards of the new entrants. Property values in Ilupeju will soar.

The Local Government will generate more internally generated revenue(IGR) from the influx of shops and shoppers, which, theoretically, will give it more disposable income to spend on roads, drainage, and other infrastructure.

The list of potential benefits is endless. Be that as it may, the presence of a Shoprite and a massive shopping mall in Ilupeju will not be without its drawbacks. Jobs will be lost in the businesses that have to give way for the mall and are unable to set up elsewhere. Traffic along the axis where the mall will be located could become a gridlocked nightmare, especially the area on Town Planning Way around the Odi Olowo LCDA Headquarters, GT Bank, and the Ilupeju Model Market which is already a mess during rush hour as motorists try to access Coker and Ikorodu Roads from the Apapa-Oshodi Expressway via Town Planning Way. Imagine several hundred more cars entering and exiting that “black hole” at 5pm every day! It is guaranteed bedlam.

Security could also become an issue, as the presence of a large number of shoppers is always a magnet for reprobates, scoundrels, and petty thieves. Then there is the environmental impact of such heavy commercial activity —- wear and tear on roads and other infrastructure, pollution, degradation of natural resources, and spoliation of open spaces and other community property.

These downsides in and of themselves do not outweigh the potential of having such a facility in Ilupeju. Besides, most, if not all, of the disadvantages can be ameliorated, in the opinion of a long-time resident, Joseph Emajevoko. Mr. Emajevoko believes that town planners can sort out the bottlenecks of traffic and the police are up to the task of beefing up security.

“I can’t wait for Shoprite to get here,” said the excited resident. “No longer will we have to go all the way to Ikeja Mall to enjoy Shoprite’s wide range of products, great prices, and excellent customer service.”

Get ready for a new shopping experience, Ilupeju.

Source: http://www.ilupejutoday.com/shoprite-coming-to-ilupeju/

1 Like

Re: Shoprite Coming To Ilupeju? by quest003: 4:35pm On Oct 06, 2013
ilupejutoday newspaper?

2 Likes

Re: Shoprite Coming To Ilupeju? by tolextony(m): 4:36pm On Oct 06, 2013
cheesy

1 Like

Re: Shoprite Coming To Ilupeju? by Beaf1: 4:36pm On Oct 06, 2013
My friend told me he saw one being built in KANO too

For safety reasons, we need a vest before patronizing these places. cheesy

BTW, The 'Shoprite' on that building doesnt look real to me. Photoshop tinz.

1 Like

Re: Shoprite Coming To Ilupeju? by Nobody: 4:37pm On Oct 06, 2013
No comment and its already on fb...na seun village ni?
Re: Shoprite Coming To Ilupeju? by Nobody: 4:37pm On Oct 06, 2013
K

1 Like

Re: Shoprite Coming To Ilupeju? by XVIER(m): 4:38pm On Oct 06, 2013
when is it coming to Maiduguri?

1 Like

Re: Shoprite Coming To Ilupeju? by Chillext(m): 4:38pm On Oct 06, 2013
Bad market for all small provision shops owners

1 Like

Re: Shoprite Coming To Ilupeju? by XVIER(m): 4:39pm On Oct 06, 2013
Promhize: Where is ilupeju?
its a state in Kaduna. ODE

6 Likes

Re: Shoprite Coming To Ilupeju? by donphilopus: 4:41pm On Oct 06, 2013
Congrats to Indegenes of Ilupeju
Re: Shoprite Coming To Ilupeju? by Nobody: 4:42pm On Oct 06, 2013
Nigerian politicians, see what South Africans are eating in your economy. You lot would raather loot our treasury here and go & dance Limpopo in S.A.

Nice one by Shoprite. Nigerians love spending in beautiful places, keep eating the money. Tell your cousins @ MTN & PEP to keep the party going!!!

7 Likes

Re: Shoprite Coming To Ilupeju? by Nobody: 4:42pm On Oct 06, 2013
XVIER: its a state in Kaduna. ODE

Sarcasm is a bastard, yes?

1 Like

Re: Shoprite Coming To Ilupeju? by Beaf1: 4:44pm On Oct 06, 2013
XVIER: when is it coming to Maiduguri?

^
The Shoprite guys must think hard before siting one in Al-Shabab Boko Harem infested area. West Gate in Kenya comes to mind.

1 Like

Re: Shoprite Coming To Ilupeju? by skyscraperTM(m): 4:45pm On Oct 06, 2013
now there is a place where i can shop riqht¡
Re: Shoprite Coming To Ilupeju? by Moshkom(m): 4:45pm On Oct 06, 2013
Good to Hear!

Let 4gt Boko Haram stuff wen s Shoprite coming to KANO nd / or KADUNA? Cos dey ar d 2 major Cities in da North!
Re: Shoprite Coming To Ilupeju? by princeobalola: 4:47pm On Oct 06, 2013
Hmmmmmm
Re: Shoprite Coming To Ilupeju? by XVIER(m): 4:48pm On Oct 06, 2013
Beaf!:

^
The Shoprite guys must thing hard before siting one in Al-Shabab Boko Harem infested area. West Gate in Kenya comes to mind.
all these english for me e no go better for techno guy get a good phone you hear??
Re: Shoprite Coming To Ilupeju? by Bsmartt(m): 4:48pm On Oct 06, 2013
looking forward to seeing Nigerian investors competing with shoprite to make the commercial sector of the economy more viable, creating more employment opportunities for the teeming unemployed youths in the country. I Hope the business men think about such a great opportunity.
Re: Shoprite Coming To Ilupeju? by sCun: 4:52pm On Oct 06, 2013
This is embarrassing! You guys should stop making Nigerians look like cave dwellers. Imagine what the South Africans will say when they see you guys jumping up and down because of a common mall.

5 Likes

Re: Shoprite Coming To Ilupeju? by XVIER(m): 4:52pm On Oct 06, 2013
Promhize:

Sarcasm is a bastard, yes?
i doubt if you were dedicated in church when you were born any way its not to late baba.
Re: Shoprite Coming To Ilupeju? by Teegurlee(f): 4:53pm On Oct 06, 2013
SNAPrite u mean?
Re: Shoprite Coming To Ilupeju? by Beaf1: 4:53pm On Oct 06, 2013
XVIER: all these english for me e no go better for techno guy get a good phone you hear??

How many English(es) are there in my sentence? cheesy If you see my phone you will hate yourself.

1 Like

Re: Shoprite Coming To Ilupeju? by hardniola(m): 4:53pm On Oct 06, 2013
what about Ajegunle.when dem go opennn shoprite for here.

1 Like

Re: Shoprite Coming To Ilupeju? by Beaf1: 4:55pm On Oct 06, 2013
Moshkom: Good to Hear!

Let 4gt Boko Haram stuff wen s Shoprite coming to KANO nd / or KADUNA? Cos dey ar d 2 major Cities in da North!

One is already being built in Kano.
Re: Shoprite Coming To Ilupeju? by XVIER(m): 4:56pm On Oct 06, 2013
Beaf!:

If you see my phone you will hate yourself.
lol why not i already hate myself from that day Nigeria gave them the right to bring their fake product into the country
Re: Shoprite Coming To Ilupeju? by nairamaverick(m): 4:59pm On Oct 06, 2013
quest003: ilupejutoday newspaper?

suprised myself
Re: Shoprite Coming To Ilupeju? by Tzulu(f): 4:59pm On Oct 06, 2013
Beaf!:
My friend told me he saw one being built in KANO too

For safety reasons, we need a vest before patronizing these places. cheesy

BTW, The 'Shoprite' on that building doesnt look real to me. Photoshop tinz.

You are obviously not buying your BEAF from the Ikeja Mall, otherwise you would have been familiar with the building in the picture.

1 Like

Re: Shoprite Coming To Ilupeju? by eluquenson(m): 5:00pm On Oct 06, 2013
Scun: This is embarrassing! You guys should stop making Nigerians look like cave dwellers. Imagine what the South Africans will say when they see you guys jumping up and down because of a common mall.

Hilarious cheesy
Re: Shoprite Coming To Ilupeju? by Beaf1: 5:01pm On Oct 06, 2013
XVIER: lol why not i already hated myself from that day Nigeria gave them the right to bring their fake product into the country

Go learn better English before quoting me.
Re: Shoprite Coming To Ilupeju? by Beaf1: 5:06pm On Oct 06, 2013
Tzulu: [/b]

You are obviously not buying your BEAF from the Ikeja Mall, otherwise you would have been familiar with the building in the picture.

It is BEEF. My Beaf is not meat cheesy. Ok I have never been to Ikeja. Where is it located again? Togo?
Re: Shoprite Coming To Ilupeju? by nikkyshyne(f): 5:11pm On Oct 06, 2013
Scun: This is embarrassing! You guys should stop making Nigerians look like cave dwellers. Imagine what the South Africans will say when they see you guys jumping up and down because of a common mall.
Well, I am actually jumping up and down. tongue

I can't wait. Whoop whoop!

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nigeria-china Trade Declines By 79% In 2016 / Aquaculture, Poultry And Snailery: Which Is Most Profitable In Lagos? / Why Nigerians Haven’t Felt Impact Of Exit From Recession – NBS Boss

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.