Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,210 members, 7,807,716 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 05:55 PM

Do Ogbanjes Exist? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Do Ogbanjes Exist? (616 Views)

[must Read] 10 Barbaric Practices That Still Exist In Nigeria Today / Culture Where People Walk Half-Unclad Still Exist In Nigeria Of 21st Century / What Do U Think About The Illuminati, Freemasonry E.t.c; Do They Even Exist? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Do Ogbanjes Exist? by Noneroone(m): 5:58pm On Oct 05, 2013
So many things have been said about people who "die and are reborn" such a person is called ogbanje. Some people attribute the phenomenon to superstision. According to this school, the advent of christianity and modern medicine proves that sickle cell anaemia is responsible for such deaths as couples who are incompatible in terms of genotype could give birth to children who constantly fall sick (as ogbanjes do) and die at a tender age.

However, those who believe they exist insist that most ogbanje cases are females and there exist no relationship between genotype and sex. Also, most of them are said to be beautiful and intelligent. This also keeps me wondering wether beauty and intelligence are associated with genotype. Lastly the attitude of some preachers who cast out the "spirit of ogbanje" gets me more confused.

Please is this phenomenon superstition or real?
Re: Do Ogbanjes Exist? by TemmyTee82(f): 12:07am On Oct 06, 2013
My sentiments exactly. I believe they don't exist. So far, I am yet to see any newly wedded couple that has issues with Ogbanje. The Ogbanje phenomenon as far as I am concerned is just the African way of explaining what they dont understand.

(1) (Reply)

Time For Sober Reflections! / Africa Will Always Behave Like Africa / Nigeria Has The 10th Sexiest English Accent In The World

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.