Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,978 members, 7,806,856 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 04:28 AM

The Vulture And The Starving Child: The Most Iconic Photograph Of The Century - Art, Graphics & Video - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Art, Graphics & Video / The Vulture And The Starving Child: The Most Iconic Photograph Of The Century (1807 Views)

Amazing Photograph Of Marina, Lagos. / Check Out One Of The Oldest Photograph Of Paris Street / Steps To Resize Your Passport Photograph For Neco & Waec Gce Online Registration (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Vulture And The Starving Child: The Most Iconic Photograph Of The Century by engrezebuiro: 9:08pm On Oct 05, 2013
In March 1993, photographer Kevin Carter made a
trip to southern Sudan, where he took now iconic
photo of a vulture preying upon an emaciated
Sudanese toddler near the village of Ayod. Carter
said he waited about 20 minutes, hoping that the
vulture would spread its wings. It didn’t. Carter
snapped the haunting photograph and chased the
vulture away. (The parents of the girl were busy
taking food from the same UN plane Carter took
to Ayod).
The photograph was sold to The New York
Times where it appeared for the first time on
March 26, 1993 as ‘metaphor for Africa’s despair’.
Practically overnight hundreds of people contacted
the newspaper to ask whether the child had
survived, leading the newspaper to run an unusual
special editor’s note saying the girl had enough
strength to walk away from the vulture, but that
her ultimate fate was unknown. Journalists in the
Sudan were told not to touch the famine victims,
because of the risk of transmitting disease, but
Carter came under criticism for not helping the
girl. ”The man adjusting his lens to take just the
right frame of her suffering might just as well be
a predator, another vulture on the scene,” read
one editorial.
Carter eventually won the Pulitzer Prize for this
photo, but he couldn’t enjoy it. “I’m really, really
sorry I didn’t pick the child up,” he confided in a
friend. Consumed with the violence he’d witnessed,
and haunted by the questions as to the little girl’s
fate, he committed suicide three months later.
_

Re: The Vulture And The Starving Child: The Most Iconic Photograph Of The Century by demelza: 9:26pm On Oct 05, 2013
Whoop!
This photo brings back memories. Saw it in Thisday newspaper on my principal's desk back in Junior secondary school. And I never forgot how I cried on getting back to class. Its still haunting now as it was then.
While I dont blame the journalist, I also dont feel sorry for his later end.
Re: The Vulture And The Starving Child: The Most Iconic Photograph Of The Century by kekakuz(m): 10:02pm On Oct 05, 2013
and someone thinks nigeria is a bad country

i pray we dont experience twenty pecent of what sudan nigel or somalia is expeiencing

click the like button for amen
Re: The Vulture And The Starving Child: The Most Iconic Photograph Of The Century by Chiidi(m): 1:20am On Oct 06, 2013
Eyah...

Really a touching story...

Thunder fire hunger and famine for this my life so.

For the vulture mind now...

1 Like

Re: The Vulture And The Starving Child: The Most Iconic Photograph Of The Century by spywareczar(m): 6:47am On Oct 06, 2013
So sad, u guys shud hve seen wat we experienced in kaduna dudring the year 2000 sharia law crisis
Re: The Vulture And The Starving Child: The Most Iconic Photograph Of The Century by Chiidi(m): 8:45am On Oct 06, 2013
spywareczar: So sad, u guys shud hve seen wat we experienced in kaduna dudring the year 2000 sharia law crisis

yeah, i was there, i know what it feels like sad
Re: The Vulture And The Starving Child: The Most Iconic Photograph Of The Century by spywareczar(m): 10:15am On Oct 06, 2013
Chiidi:

yeah, i was there, i know what it feels like sad
which part of Kaduna were u during d crisis
Re: The Vulture And The Starving Child: The Most Iconic Photograph Of The Century by prof800(m): 11:38am On Oct 06, 2013
The Vulture And The Starving Child.!
**sighs**
Re: The Vulture And The Starving Child: The Most Iconic Photograph Of The Century by engrezebuiro: 5:23pm On Oct 06, 2013
prof800: The Vulture And The Starving Child.!
**sighs**

Why are u sighing? Are u normal.

(1) (Reply)

Did I Try With These Drawings? / Nikon D5300 Camera For Sale at giveaway price / Become A Professional Graphics Artist - Videographer - Website Designer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.