Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,772 members, 7,806,126 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 11:51 AM

Indegenious Dreams - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Indegenious Dreams (1154 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Indegenious Dreams by hoodboi(m): 9:11pm On Oct 05, 2013
Recently during the Nigeria at 53 independence day celebrations. Google launched an image that was obviously to celebrate with us on our independence and it got me thinking about so many things. One of the most popular social networks right now is china's qq, its not even translated to englishm which shows the audience they developed for. I heard also that vconnect is not even owned by a Nigerian, Jumia is owned by a Nigerian and another guy from a african country, but it still stinks of external influence and knowledge. That same day i was working on a web crawler for somebodies final year project and named it spoof.com at first, but i changed it to Tiwa.com(our own.com). We might not be able to take the world yet, but there are so many ways we can control this country and not let foreigners do it for us. I dream of a tech industry where once day, we would have made in Nigeria dbms, OS with worldwide recognition, Browsers and many others all that are well reknowned. What are your tech dreams for this country, please share.

I have attached the image i used for the web crawler. I used ankara as the background if you look well at it.

1 Like

Re: Indegenious Dreams by emandman: 11:27pm On Oct 05, 2013
Nairaland,jobberman has already cancelled out d vconnect and jumia examples u gave..dy ar ownd by 9jrians.
It's gud if u can make em but i think dbms,browsers,os,scripts are made by ppl 4d "world" not "not 4 nigerians" i dnt c any point trying to beat dem except u create a device with ur own os.thats accepatable. So remove african sentiment and think like a businessman, not lyk fela and soyinka...(lolz)
Re: Indegenious Dreams by Ajibel(m): 11:36pm On Oct 05, 2013
^^^^ what does ya mean 'not like soyinka, fela' angry
Re: Indegenious Dreams by kambo(m): 12:02am On Oct 06, 2013
Most tech startups u mention have two things in common: deep pockets and deep knowledge base.
Deep knowledge base means ground breaking research cud produce the next killer app.
Stellar team of A+ top notch engineers.
Deep pockets mean u finance the research of a promising idea or toy with many ideas one of which may b an industry game changer.
It means u can engage in massive market manuevers and secure the market even with an average product.
Sorry, but to me jumia,vconnect, jobberman, wakanow are worth mentioning,innovation wise.theyve innovated nothing,just implemented an already tried and tested business model.as populous as the country is were embarrassingly scanty in industry players. There should b 20 jobberman types of the same rank and calibre.y not? Only one player per sector is an innovation killer. Think of countries like the u.s ,thryres monster and dice among others. There's indeed dot com, plethora brings out the flavour. There's amazon and barnes and noble , and many more.
They arent tech companies but companies tht operate primarily thru an online/internet interface.
There's a difference and i dont think these companies hav the vision or managerial expertise or incentive to metamorphose into tech notables , more like just the nigerian banal incentive to "make money" and be the only pea in d pod , the only loaf in d bakery.
In practice they may b aspiring to b d only ass on d road and may b blocking other asses from plying the same road too (and overtaking them). That may b stretching it but tech companies here ar non existent.
Wen u talk of tech comps , theyre d likes tht create software for their internal consumption and for over all contribution to the i.t market, think trolltech, makers of qt , oracle makers of java, the oracle db etc the apache software foundation, take2 makers of grand theft auto, Foss, etc.
Anoda reason y tech is dead is cuz in tech most founders are really techies at heart, they provided d spark and boost tht fanned d first company these comps werent formed by a bunch of marketing accounting or mba types. Neither were they foreseen by these types.

1 Like

Re: Indegenious Dreams by hoodboi(m): 12:25pm On Oct 06, 2013
e mandman: Nairaland,jobberman has already cancelled out d vconnect and jumia examples u gave..dy ar ownd by 9jrians.
It's gud if u can make em but i think dbms,browsers,os,scripts are made by ppl 4d "world" not "not 4 nigerians" i dnt c any point trying to beat dem except u create a device with ur own os.thats accepatable. So remove african sentiment and think like a businessman, not lyk fela and soyinka...(lolz)
Exactly my point u r thinking just like a regular Nigerian. Fela and wole soyinka, in there indegenious ways are right. Its not about indegenous sentiments, but a call to the people to rise up and be counted. If existing technologies are not meant to be beaten, den we wouldn't have the android os, neither would we have one of the most famous open source projects (mozilla os). Nigerians never think about how to invent new things, all we ever think about Is how to sell existing ones. A typical Nigerian programmer never thinks open source (in d words of someone from dis site: freemium before premium), all we think of what can I make and sell, that's why we are still nowhere to be found when it comes to tech. I don't mean to come out somehw, its just that we need to start thinking differently. Put money as the last thing, and success as the first. Money will always come. To me programming as always been a hobby not work, that's why I excel at what I do.
Re: Indegenious Dreams by emandman: 11:06pm On Oct 06, 2013
hoodboi:
Exactly my point u r thinking just like a regular Nigerian. Fela and wole soyinka, in there indegenious ways are right. Its not about indegenous sentiments, but a call to the people to rise up and be counted. If existing technologies are not meant to be beaten, den we wouldn't have the android os, neither would we have one of the most famous open source projects (mozilla os). Nigerians never think about how to invent new things, all we ever think about Is how to sell existing ones. A typical Nigerian programmer never thinks open source (in d words of someone from dis site: freemium before premium), all we think of what can I make and sell, that's why we are still nowhere to be found when it comes to tech. I don't mean to come out somehw, its just that we need to start thinking differently. Put money as the last thing, and success as the first. Money will always come. To me programming as always been a hobby not work, that's why I excel at what I do.
Get me aint saying u'r not gud but it's not really about "beating them" if datz ur motive u'r wrong...dnt giv ursef a chase when nobody is chasing,most of dis techs has been existing since d 90's...it's like firstbank trying to katch jp morgan..hell no...if u av a unique idea dat is afro-centric good.go ahead,we love it. But trying to tackle an existin world dominating ideas lyk oracle,php,popuplar techs is not it...so solve a problem dat u c around u in nigeria not trying to beat,beat who microsoft? Hahaha
Ajibel: ^^^^ what does ya mean 'not like soyinka, fela' angry
jst kidding tho,i actually meant being too staunch wit one's africaness!
Re: Indegenious Dreams by hoodboi(m): 1:09am On Oct 07, 2013
e mandman: Get me aint saying u'r not gud but it's not really about "beating them" if datz ur motive u'r wrong...dnt giv ursef a chase when nobody is chasing,most of dis techs has been existing since d 90's...it's like firstbank trying to katch jp morgan..hell no...if u av a unique idea dat is afro-centric good.go ahead,we love it. But trying to tackle an existin world dominating ideas lyk oracle,php,popuplar techs is not it...so solve a problem dat u c around u in nigeria not trying to beat,beat who microsoft? Hahaha jst kidding tho,i actually meant being too staunch wit one's africaness!

Bro dis is clearly a case of a little misunderstanding. I'm not reffering trying to be afro centric here. Neither am I talking about tackling anything. I don't believe in doing things just because another person did it. All I am talking about is putting us on d world map, I heard a statement recently from a friend in mech. Who won an award for a security door he developed. He said that what brought about the competition in the first instant was a guy from china who said Nigerians are creative and that we should show him something we can do here that they can't. My friend went on to create the door that uses, a security code lock without using any form of programming whatsoever, now that is what I am talking about. If I had an idea that could beat oracle, I wouldn't wnt to be scared about not tackling century old mechanisms, I would put it out. All I am saying is we need to rep. The name naija more on a world stage, which we aint doing. Kambo said something, that the industry is underutilised, we actually need more jumia's and the likes. If we produce more technologies in addition to what already exists or better that is what I am talking about. I'm not trying to be bias in any way.

Another part where u are wrong is that. If nobody was chasing, there wouldn't be other server side scripting languages other than php, neither would we have any other dbms other than the first that was created. People are chasing, but we are not.
Re: Indegenious Dreams by hoodboi(m): 1:49am On Oct 07, 2013
kambo: Most tech startups u mention have two things in common: deep pockets and deep knowledge base.
Deep knowledge base means ground breaking research cud produce the next killer app.
Stellar team of A+ top notch engineers.
Deep pockets mean u finance the research of a promising idea or toy with many ideas one of which may b an industry game changer.
It means u can engage in massive market manuevers and secure the market even with an average product.
Sorry, but to me jumia,vconnect, jobberman, wakanow are worth mentioning,innovation wise.theyve innovated nothing,just implemented an already tried and tested business model.as populous as the country is were embarrassingly scanty in industry players. There should b 20 jobberman types of the same rank and calibre.y not? Only one player per sector is an innovation killer. Think of countries like the u.s ,thryres monster and dice among others. There's indeed dot com, plethora brings out the flavour. There's amazon and barnes and noble , and many more.
They arent tech companies but companies tht operate primarily thru an online/internet interface.
There's a difference and i dont think these companies hav the vision or managerial expertise or incentive to metamorphose into tech notables , more like just the nigerian banal incentive to "make money" and be the only pea in d pod , the only loaf in d bakery.
In practice they may b aspiring to b d only ass on d road and may b blocking other asses from plying the same road too (and overtaking them). That may b stretching it but tech companies here ar non existent.
Wen u talk of tech comps , theyre d likes tht create software for their internal consumption and for over all contribution to the i.t market, think trolltech, makers of qt , oracle makers of java, the oracle db etc the apache software foundation, take2 makers of grand theft auto, Foss, etc.
Anoda reason y tech is dead is cuz in tech most founders are really techies at heart, they provided d spark and boost tht fanned d first company these comps werent formed by a bunch of marketing accounting or mba types. Neither were they foreseen by these types.

Bro u got it right on there
Re: Indegenious Dreams by emandman: 9:38pm On Oct 07, 2013
Ok.got u clearly sir...na money cause am...ppl are afraid to risk dia last kobo 4 a biz dt wnt reward in nearest future...but am sure ppl are not sleeping...make we dey see

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Java Programmer In Enugu State??? / I'm Learning Programming But... How Can I Code (as In ... In Real Life)??? / Daily Pocket Calculator For Android

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.