Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,289 members, 7,807,981 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:14 AM

Lethal Tanzanian Lake That Turns Animals To Stone - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Lethal Tanzanian Lake That Turns Animals To Stone (35525 Views)

Animals! Super Animals! / 5 Animals That Actually Never DIE! / Benue Zoo Starves Lion, Other Animals To Death (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lethal Tanzanian Lake That Turns Animals To Stone by drpips1(m): 9:57pm On Oct 05, 2013
The Deadly Lake…
There’s a deceptively still body of water in Tanzania with a deadly secret…

…that Stonifies!
It turns any animal it touches to stone.

Truth Behind the Lake
The rare phenomenon is caused by the chemical makeup of the lake.

The Chemical Composition
The creatures pepper the area around the lake due to its constant pH of 9 to 10.5 — an extremely basic alkalinity that preserves these creatures for eternity.

Seems Like a Horror Story!
The petrified creatures it leaves behind seem straight out of a horror film.

There’s a deceptively still body of water in Tanzania with a deadly secret — it turns any animal it touches to stone. The rare phenomenon is caused by the chemical makeup of the lake, but the petrified creatures it leaves behind are straight out of a horror film.

Photographed by Nick Brandt in his new book, Across the Ravaged Land, petrified creatures pepper the area around the lake due to its constant pH of 9 to 10.5 — an extremely basic alkalinity that preserves these creatures for eternity.

According to Brandt:

I unexpectedly found the creatures — all manner of birds and bats — washed up along the shoreline of Lake Natron in Northern Tanzania. No-one knows for certain exactly how they die, but it appears that the extreme reflective nature of the lake’s surface confuses them, and like birds crashing into plate glass windows, they crash into the lake. The water has an extremely high soda and salt content, so high that it would strip the ink off my Kodak film boxes within a few seconds. The soda and salt causes the creatures to calcify, perfectly preserved, as they dry.

I took these creatures as I found them on the shoreline, and then placed them in ‘living’ positions, bringing them back to ‘life’, as it were. Reanimated, alive again in death.

http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2013/10/any-animal-that-touches-this-lethal-lake-turns-to-stone/
http://eyespopping.com/any-animal-that-touches-this-lethal-lake-turns-to-stone

2 Likes

Re: Lethal Tanzanian Lake That Turns Animals To Stone by tekel(m): 5:53am On Oct 06, 2013
tell me something

2 Likes

Re: Lethal Tanzanian Lake That Turns Animals To Stone by lildray(m): 6:16am On Oct 06, 2013
this does'nt look real, am sure those animals were carved

1 Like

Re: Lethal Tanzanian Lake That Turns Animals To Stone by Emmyk(m): 2:35pm On Oct 06, 2013
Okay. What about humans? Will it turn them to stones likewise?

3 Likes

Re: Lethal Tanzanian Lake That Turns Animals To Stone by passionate88: 6:37pm On Oct 07, 2013
Lake Medusa

15 Likes

Re: Lethal Tanzanian Lake That Turns Animals To Stone by kenedy175(m): 6:38pm On Oct 07, 2013
some people need to be taken to that lake

4 Likes

Re: Lethal Tanzanian Lake That Turns Animals To Stone by Nobody: 6:38pm On Oct 07, 2013
chaiiiiii .......and this just have to make front page.....ASUU and FG should take a dive shaa

4 Likes

Re: Lethal Tanzanian Lake That Turns Animals To Stone by dgysoft(m): 6:40pm On Oct 07, 2013
praise god am coming up 4th to comment

2 Likes

Re: Lethal Tanzanian Lake That Turns Animals To Stone by Spanishmario(m): 6:40pm On Oct 07, 2013
Ooopz
Re: Lethal Tanzanian Lake That Turns Animals To Stone by fingard02k(m): 6:40pm On Oct 07, 2013
i refuse to believe this story

1 Like

Re: Lethal Tanzanian Lake That Turns Animals To Stone by Nobody: 6:41pm On Oct 07, 2013
Any Man that kills his fellow human being is an animal.
I just pray that one day all the boko haram members will drown inside this lake and just as lot's wife looked back and became a pillar of salt, they themselves will come out a pillar of bricks and stones, that their may be abundant stones for the work of rebuilding all they have destroyed. What Else?

28 Likes

Re: Lethal Tanzanian Lake That Turns Animals To Stone by macdelene(m): 6:41pm On Oct 07, 2013
I no knw say I fit be 1st 10 oooo praise God

1 Like

Re: Lethal Tanzanian Lake That Turns Animals To Stone by LajaLaba: 6:41pm On Oct 07, 2013
Take me to the lake abeg
Re: Lethal Tanzanian Lake That Turns Animals To Stone by bolaino(m): 6:42pm On Oct 07, 2013
hmmmmmmm, i see.
Re: Lethal Tanzanian Lake That Turns Animals To Stone by Aizebioje(m): 6:45pm On Oct 07, 2013
Oh how I wish our wicked politcians airplanes will crash and fall into this lake!!!

1 Like

Re: Lethal Tanzanian Lake That Turns Animals To Stone by BizBooks(m): 6:46pm On Oct 07, 2013
While these pictures are real, the photographer has admitted that they were all posed.
This means that the birds did not die while perched on tree limbs. The photographer
picked them up and placed them there. If you look at the picture of the bat, you will
notice something un-usual. Bats hang upside down not the way it is shown in that picture.

15 Likes

Re: Lethal Tanzanian Lake That Turns Animals To Stone by BabaEleko(m): 6:47pm On Oct 07, 2013
Allahu Akbar!!

4 Likes

Re: Lethal Tanzanian Lake That Turns Animals To Stone by Nikapetrelli(f): 6:47pm On Oct 07, 2013
D lake na Badoo
Re: Lethal Tanzanian Lake That Turns Animals To Stone by PAGAN9JA(m): 6:47pm On Oct 07, 2013
[size=28pt]HEY THIS IS UNFAIR! OP COPIED MY THREAD![/size] angry

https://www.nairaland.com/1462723/stunning-pictures-animals-died-got

9 Likes

Re: Lethal Tanzanian Lake That Turns Animals To Stone by Napoleonumolo: 6:48pm On Oct 07, 2013
One of those terrorists caught should be tested there whether it also ve effect on humans,since terrorist ve no value 4 their lives.

1 Like

Re: Lethal Tanzanian Lake That Turns Animals To Stone by OCcool: 6:48pm On Oct 07, 2013
Petrificus totalus! harry potter tinz

1 Like

Re: Lethal Tanzanian Lake That Turns Animals To Stone by dayokanu(m): 6:48pm On Oct 07, 2013
Person suppose go swim inside the lake
Re: Lethal Tanzanian Lake That Turns Animals To Stone by otijah(m): 6:49pm On Oct 07, 2013
Nice concept, talent in the making, one of d greatest photoshops av seen. @op tell ur Brandt I said more grease to his wrist
Re: Lethal Tanzanian Lake That Turns Animals To Stone by xynerise: 6:53pm On Oct 07, 2013
Hmmmmm.

Sexkillz, remember I promised to take you to a beach in Tanzania, can we go now? undecided

7 Likes

Re: Lethal Tanzanian Lake That Turns Animals To Stone by otijah(m): 6:53pm On Oct 07, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

@op y nah? Y d photocopy, but bros d op get a diff write up, dats y he made FP. Work had on ur write up next time

1 Like

Re: Lethal Tanzanian Lake That Turns Animals To Stone by Nobody: 6:53pm On Oct 07, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

#CHUCKLING i told U to stop being a PAGAN and Embrace our SAVIOUR Jesus christ! ..Now see the kind luck wey U com get

30 Likes

Re: Lethal Tanzanian Lake That Turns Animals To Stone by Cubeet: 6:54pm On Oct 07, 2013
Wonders
Re: Lethal Tanzanian Lake That Turns Animals To Stone by numen(m): 6:55pm On Oct 07, 2013
But that picture of a bat nawa oh. Bats don't hang upright. They hand upside down. They do every upside down. U sure say this lake na authe? #randomThoughts
Re: Lethal Tanzanian Lake That Turns Animals To Stone by PAGAN9JA(m): 6:57pm On Oct 07, 2013
otijah: @op y nah? Y d photocopy, but bros d op get a diff write up, dats y he made FP. Work had on ur write up next time

so are you telling me Mukina2 waited for 5 days after I create the thread to see who will post again with better write-up

That dont make sense.

THis is just discrimination against Traditionalists.

and my write-up has more info. I even posted the pic of the bat properly (upside-down).
Re: Lethal Tanzanian Lake That Turns Animals To Stone by PAGAN9JA(m): 6:58pm On Oct 07, 2013
Bossforeva: #CHUCKLING i told U to stop being a PAGAN and Embrace our SAVIOUR Jesus christ! ..Now see the kind luck wey U com get

ON MY DEAD BODY.
Re: Lethal Tanzanian Lake That Turns Animals To Stone by KELVINXY: 7:00pm On Oct 07, 2013
Hmmm..
Ok now that's weird..
Does this mean there is no Fish in the water.?

2 Likes

Re: Lethal Tanzanian Lake That Turns Animals To Stone by Nobody: 7:01pm On Oct 07, 2013
Nature always beat us to it. Egyptians should have used this lake to mummify their pharaohs.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Man Kills Big Python Under His Bed (Photos) / Jack Dorsey Resigns From Twitter / Why Do Cockroaches Die Upside Down?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.