Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,905 members, 7,802,934 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 04:10 AM

Lethal Tanzanian Lake That Turns Animals To Stone - Science/Technology (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Lethal Tanzanian Lake That Turns Animals To Stone (35521 Views)

Animals! Super Animals! / 5 Animals That Actually Never DIE! / Benue Zoo Starves Lion, Other Animals To Death (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lethal Tanzanian Lake That Turns Animals To Stone by joaquin64(m): 8:32pm On Oct 07, 2013
This is beautiful. Like something out of a Tim Burton... Only real this time. Genius.
Re: Lethal Tanzanian Lake That Turns Animals To Stone by lastpage: 8:33pm On Oct 07, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

so are you telling me Mukina2 waited for 5 days after I create the thread to see who will post again with better write-up

That dont make sense.

THis is just discrimination against Traditionalists.

and my write-up has more info. I even posted the pic of the bat properly (upside-down).

While l dont buy your "spiritual orientation" one bit grin grin the truth is that what happened to your post is a reflection of the[b] "double standard and cronyism" that bedevils our daily lives as Nigerians![/b]

Man-knows-Man, no be today e start!
"MERIT and FAIRNESS" just got deleted from their dictionary.
wink

Very very reprehensibly-disgraceful way of decision-making!

I urge you to take heart and be strong.

Lastpage!

2 Likes

Re: Lethal Tanzanian Lake That Turns Animals To Stone by Drsmith001: 8:34pm On Oct 07, 2013
[quote author=lekkie073]
Op u b thief cool smiley smiley[/quote
lolz u no crius
Re: Lethal Tanzanian Lake That Turns Animals To Stone by Abbey2sam(m): 8:34pm On Oct 07, 2013
Abeg which position I be for comment?
Re: Lethal Tanzanian Lake That Turns Animals To Stone by Raybel(m): 8:54pm On Oct 07, 2013
Story! The lake no dey within a region or an area? Make him mention the name naa. He should back up his claims with sufficient proof. Abeg, make the guy go park well joor.
Re: Lethal Tanzanian Lake That Turns Animals To Stone by skyfall: 8:54pm On Oct 07, 2013
This is a plausible explanation for the Lot's wife story in the bible. Perhaps they all knew about the lake and warned her not to go there but she insisted and this turned into "salt."

And Tanzania is close to the Middle East area.
Re: Lethal Tanzanian Lake That Turns Animals To Stone by Nobody: 9:05pm On Oct 07, 2013
skyfall: This is a plausible explanation for the Lot's wife story in the bible. Perhaps they all knew about the lake and warned her not to go there but she insisted and this turned into "salt."

And Tanzania is close to the Middle East area.

Oga, so because Tanzania is in east africa, it is close to the middle east abi? Well, you are wrong. Next time consult an Atlas first.

1 Like

Re: Lethal Tanzanian Lake That Turns Animals To Stone by Nobody: 9:08pm On Oct 07, 2013
This post is actually misleading. The lake doesn't turn people to stone, but it makes objects in photographs look like stone.

Source: http://news.discovery.com/earth/photographer-rick-brandt-lake-natron-131003.htm
Re: Lethal Tanzanian Lake That Turns Animals To Stone by Olaooni88(f): 9:08pm On Oct 07, 2013
lildray: this does'nt look real, am sure those animals were carved
m*u*m*u= ? Mtchewwww
Re: Lethal Tanzanian Lake That Turns Animals To Stone by Nobody: 9:11pm On Oct 07, 2013
dayokanu: Person suppose go swim inside the lake
right,so we know if da chemical contents can as well calcify humans n da perfect guinea pig would be thatpotentialarssescratchingelungounsaharanboi...
Anyway,this thread seems false...
Re: Lethal Tanzanian Lake That Turns Animals To Stone by criuze(m): 9:21pm On Oct 07, 2013
even if i swim in valley of this lake i shall fear no evil, the lord is my shepeard

1 Like

Re: Lethal Tanzanian Lake That Turns Animals To Stone by ChiSun27(m): 9:22pm On Oct 07, 2013
Yerima and co needs to visit this lake.
Re: Lethal Tanzanian Lake That Turns Animals To Stone by Austindark(m): 9:25pm On Oct 07, 2013
dolapobello1:

Lol. Ode! Spoiling complex philosophical inquiry for person. Na you go go swim there grin grin grin

eyah
I only provided a philosophical answer now

u can tank me later
Re: Lethal Tanzanian Lake That Turns Animals To Stone by emezieokonkwo: 9:32pm On Oct 07, 2013
Some of our politicians urgently need a cool morning bath in that lake shocked
Re: Lethal Tanzanian Lake That Turns Animals To Stone by kenedy175(m): 9:33pm On Oct 07, 2013
medusa's head is in that lake. fact!
Re: Lethal Tanzanian Lake That Turns Animals To Stone by Nobody: 9:49pm On Oct 07, 2013
kewl...i guess. undecided
Re: Lethal Tanzanian Lake That Turns Animals To Stone by Nobody: 9:50pm On Oct 07, 2013
Emmyk: Okay. What about humans? Will it turn them to stones likewise?

good question.

passionate88: Lake Medusa

grin grin
Re: Lethal Tanzanian Lake That Turns Animals To Stone by Proffdada: 9:55pm On Oct 07, 2013
Those animals were long dead before the photographer positioned them in way to confuse mumu people that they were instantly petrified on first touch. Just like some people believed acid rain falls instantly n strips off flesh grin angry grin

1 Like

Re: Lethal Tanzanian Lake That Turns Animals To Stone by TayoT: 10:07pm On Oct 07, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:
[size=28pt]HEY THIS IS UNFAIR! OP COPIED MY THREAD![/size] angry

https://www.nairaland.com/1462723/stunning-pictures-animals-died-got

Nairaland guys do that a lot. Guess there's a cabal in this blog.

1 Like

Re: Lethal Tanzanian Lake That Turns Animals To Stone by badmeat(m): 10:35pm On Oct 07, 2013
Our. Wonderful world!I fit get enough okporoko for the lake?lipsrsealed
Re: Lethal Tanzanian Lake That Turns Animals To Stone by imperiouxx(m): 10:36pm On Oct 07, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:
[size=28pt]HEY THIS IS UNFAIR! OP COPIED MY THREAD![/size] angry

https://www.nairaland.com/1462723/stunning-pictures-animals-died-got

Heya! Sorry, na so life be. Azonto originates from one country but was brought to popularity by another country.

1 Like

Re: Lethal Tanzanian Lake That Turns Animals To Stone by ibkgab001: 10:38pm On Oct 07, 2013
Actually it was made for Commercial grin
Re: Lethal Tanzanian Lake That Turns Animals To Stone by Nobody: 10:48pm On Oct 07, 2013
is this supposed to be a twighlight zone or what ... sounds like folktales that i used to heqar wen i was a kid
Re: Lethal Tanzanian Lake That Turns Animals To Stone by MrDisciple(m): 10:55pm On Oct 07, 2013
Bossforeva: Any Man that kills his fellow human being is an animal.
I just pray that one day all the boko haram members will drown inside this lake and just as lot's wife looked back and became a pillar of salt, they themselves will come out a pillar of bricks and stones, that their may be abundant stones for the work of rebuilding all they have destroyed. What Else?
i believe the author said it turns whatever touches it to stone, so how will the BH boys drown?
Re: Lethal Tanzanian Lake That Turns Animals To Stone by Youngzedd(m): 10:59pm On Oct 07, 2013
I will like if ASUU fall inside this lake.

I didn't call any person particularly.
Re: Lethal Tanzanian Lake That Turns Animals To Stone by Youngzedd(m): 11:01pm On Oct 07, 2013
Ok
Re: Lethal Tanzanian Lake That Turns Animals To Stone by emmyoha87(m): 11:36pm On Oct 07, 2013
BizBooks: While these pictures are real, the photographer has admitted that they were all posed.
This means that the birds did not die while perched on tree limbs. The photographer
picked them up and placed them there. If you look at the picture of the bat, you will
notice something un-usual. Bats hang upside down not the way it is shown in that picture.

Take a good look @ d skyline and landscape behind d bat n you'lld realise d picture is inverted to aid proper viewing.
Re: Lethal Tanzanian Lake That Turns Animals To Stone by major116: 11:56pm On Oct 07, 2013
[b][/b]ASUU chairman supose dey dia sha!!!
Re: Lethal Tanzanian Lake That Turns Animals To Stone by Nobody: 11:58pm On Oct 07, 2013
Those animals shouldn't have looked back..
Re: Lethal Tanzanian Lake That Turns Animals To Stone by busky101(m): 12:17am On Oct 08, 2013
Abeg, make ASUU and fG go negotiate for dat lake
Re: Lethal Tanzanian Lake That Turns Animals To Stone by Nobody: 12:23am On Oct 08, 2013
passionate88: Lake Medusa

ehen...tel ,me tori
Re: Lethal Tanzanian Lake That Turns Animals To Stone by BigBenoski(m): 12:54am On Oct 08, 2013
dr-pips:
The Deadly Lake…
There’s a deceptively still body of water in Tanzania with a deadly secret…

…that Stonifies!
It turns any animal it touches to stone.

Truth Behind the Lake
The rare phenomenon is caused by the chemical makeup of the lake.

The Chemical Composition
The creatures pepper the area around the lake due to its constant pH of 9 to 10.5 — an extremely basic alkalinity that preserves these creatures for eternity.
Seems Like a Horror Story!
The petrified creatures it leaves behind seem straight out of a horror film.

There’s a deceptively still body of water in Tanzania with a deadly secret — it turns any animal it touches to stone. The rare phenomenon is caused by the chemical makeup of the lake, but the petrified creatures it leaves behind are straight out of a horror film.

Photographed by Nick Brandt in his new book, Across the Ravaged Land, petrified creatures pepper the area around the lake due to its constant pH of 9 to 10.5 — an extremely basic alkalinity that preserves these creatures for eternity.

According to Brandt:

I unexpectedly found the creatures — all manner of birds and bats — washed up along the shoreline of Lake Natron in Northern Tanzania. No-one knows for certain exactly how they die, but it appears that the extreme reflective nature of the lake’s surface confuses them, and like birds crashing into plate glass windows, they crash into the lake. The water has an extremely high soda and salt content, so high that it would strip the ink off my Kodak film boxes within a few seconds. The soda and salt causes the creatures to calcify, perfectly preserved, as they dry.

I took these creatures as I found them on the shoreline, and then placed them in ‘living’ positions, bringing them back to ‘life’, as it were. Reanimated, alive again in death.

Howz a pH range of 9-10.5 'an extremely basic alkalinity that preserves creatures for eternity'?? OP, i know so many microbes that would dance etighi in such pH media

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Jack Dorsey Resigns From Twitter / Man Kills Big Python Under His Bed (Photos) / Why Do Cockroaches Die Upside Down?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.