Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,495 members, 7,808,832 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:39 PM

Abandoning Nigeria's Good Life For The Us,its A Blessing If.... - Travel (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Abandoning Nigeria's Good Life For The Us,its A Blessing If.... (49176 Views)

How Easy Is Life For Nigerians (or Non-eu) In Germany / How's Life For Nigerians In Germany / Spain: How Is Life For Nigerians Over There? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Abandoning Nigeria's Good Life For The Us,its A Blessing If.... by Goldenboy007(m): 4:16am On Nov 05, 2014
I wrote this topic one year ago. The principles are real and if you follow them it would be beneficial. I have a friend who came to US less than 6 months ago but now he's doing so good and I know some people that have been here for years and cannot boast of anything.
I have one very important advice for you intending immigrants or if you are still trying to find your footings. The type of people that would be your first host, advisers or those you move with in the first 6 months is very important. The Pig and the Giraffe operates from different level because their perspectives are different. The pig can only see as much as its height permits and eats on its on its level but a Giraffe has the ability to see farther If he chooses. Therefore if the pig advises the Giraffe, he does so based on his stunted perspective but you as a Giraffe your potential is bigger.

The interpretation of my little story - There is a generation of immigrants before us that came during the US economic boom. There was so much money then regardless the job you did so many of them ended with menials jobs because it brings money faster and easier to get instead. They lived the so-called American dreams which is based on credit life. After the global recession, it created income seal on income and credit life got busted! They ended up broke!
So if you find yourself in an household where the head of the house is a Taxi driver definitely he is going to advise you to do same or something similar. Also if you end up being surrounded by people doing menial jobs because they do not have legal papers they will encourage you to do the same. Do not get me wrong, you can do menial jobs to survive at the beginning but have a vision beyond the job. Go to school and do professional examination, the beginning may be rough but it would benefit you in the long run.
1) Re-prepare your resume to fit their style in US. (A topic for another day)
2) Join as many online Job agents like career builders, Monsters etc
3)Improve your physical profile; looks, pronunciation, vocabulary, confidence, eloquence and knowledge. - These will help when you start getting interviews.
4)If you guys are newly married, hold on child bearing to when you can both get on your feet. Dual income is very important and can decide your success or failure. If you have kids already its also well, manage your situation.
... to be continued

16 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Abandoning Nigeria's Good Life For The Us,its A Blessing If.... by rinzaugustine: 4:35pm On May 18, 2017
Goldenboy007:
I wrote this topic one year ago. The principles are real and if you follow them it would be beneficial. I have a friend who came to US less than 6 months ago but now he's doing so good and I know some people that have been here for years and cannot boast of anything.
I have one very important advice for you intending immigrants or if you are still trying to find your footings. The type of people that would be your first host, advisers or those you move with in the first 6 months is very important. The Pig and the Giraffe operates from different level because their perspectives are different. The pig can only see as much as its height permits and eats on its on its level but a Giraffe has the ability to see farther If he chooses. Therefore if the pig advises the Giraffe, he does so based on his stunted perspective but you as a Giraffe your potential is bigger.

The interpretation of my little story - There is a generation of immigrants before us that came during the US economic boom. There was so much money then regardless the job you did so many of them ended with menials jobs because it brings money faster and easier to get instead. They lived the so-called American dreams which is based on credit life. After the global recession, it created income seal on income and credit life got busted! They ended up broke!
So if you find yourself in an household where the head of the house is a Taxi driver definitely he is going to advise you to do same or something similar. Also if you end up being surrounded by people doing menial jobs because they do not have legal papers they will encourage you to do the same. Do not get me wrong, you can do menial jobs to survive at the beginning but have a vision beyond the job. Go to school and do professional examination, the beginning may be rough but it would benefit you in the long run.
3)Improve your physical profile; looks, pronunciation, vocabulary, confidence, eloquence and knowledge. - These will help when you start getting interviews.
4)If you guys are newly married, hold on child bearing to when you can both get on your feet. Dual income is very important and can decide your success or failure. If you have kids already its also well, manage your situation.
... to be continued
Great one bro
Re: Abandoning Nigeria's Good Life For The Us,its A Blessing If.... by Everest1989(m): 5:22pm On May 18, 2017
Goldenboy007:

... to be continued
I will be coming to north Carolina for studies...please I want to discuss something with you privately.
Re: Abandoning Nigeria's Good Life For The Us,its A Blessing If.... by rinzaugustine: 6:07pm On May 19, 2017
nannymcphee:
A perfect thread was derailed for something that had nothing to do with the subject of the thread

To think that a Mod who ought to have known better(justwise) helped in derailing it.

Goldenboy007, please kindly start from where you stopped.
justwise didnt derail it.He saved somebody somewhere from being scammed

2 Likes

Re: Abandoning Nigeria's Good Life For The Us,its A Blessing If.... by Goldenboy007(m): 8:52am On May 20, 2017
Everest1989:

I will be coming to north Carolina for studies...please I want to discuss something with you privately.

Hi, I am not sure how this works but it seems NL has a messaging system. PM me.

Thanks

1 Like

Re: Abandoning Nigeria's Good Life For The Us,its A Blessing If.... by Goldenboy007(m): 9:27am On May 20, 2017
I started this topic 2013, four (4) years later the points still remain true but dynamics have changed.

Like I said - When you come to America, the first person you stay with can influence your success in America. So please be very careful, hosts can influence your goals and once you derail, hardly do people get back on track.

Another big problem that will make immigrants fail- The Naija mentality - The moment you decide to emigrate - Please leave all your Naija orientation at MMIA, they do not work here. When you come back home you can pick it from where you left it at the airport.

Supplus cash mentality - Some people will come here and the first thing they do is to go into spending spree- thinking they will hit a job that will rain dollars ...you will become stranded faster than you think because US is not an excess cash economy..before you will earn $1..walahi you go work.

"My helper ooo " mentality - it is only in Nigeria that the song will work- here your only helper is God. If you think you have an uncle or aunt that will feed or accomodate you for free here , I am sorry for you. They can welcome you the 1st or 2nd week but after that wahala go start, even your own siblings will tell you the koko!!

Neighborhood mentality - Nigerians in US are not too entertaining - US is an individualistic society- leave your village connection at the MMIA airport. No uneccessary visitation, give notice before you go visiting people even if they used to be your village paddy - Emeka wey you sabi for Nigeria is not the same Emeka thay have lived in US - face your mission here - build your own life - it's only in Nigeria that you are friends with all the people on your street.

To be continued

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Abandoning Nigeria's Good Life For The Us,its A Blessing If.... by Nobody: 9:40am On May 20, 2017
OP, nice advice, really true, you painted a real picture of things unlike those liars posting junk about paradise on earth.

Justwise, I must say kudos to you for helping some people about being scammed. How can someone claim that an agent picked his details randomly and applied for him, chai, people are liars.

Once again, OP is on point
Re: Abandoning Nigeria's Good Life For The Us,its A Blessing If.... by Goldenboy007(m): 2:28pm On May 20, 2017
Now let me finally comment on the guy that won visa lottery by proxy. There is one thing i have learnt in this world...Never say Never.
I knew a scenario similar to his own and if not that it happened to someone close to me , I will doubt it too. I can confirm that it happened to a former school mate of mine. We used to work in the same building before relocating - He told me one day that he was contacted by a stranger that he won a visa lottery - I told him clearly that it was a scam. However the person was persistent- it happened that his CLO during his NYSC used all their corper details to play visa lottery without informing them- he now gave a condition that my friend had to marry a girl he arranged. He went ahead with the marriage and I can confirm that he traveled to the US o. So Justwise this guy may actually be telling the truth.

2 Likes

Re: Abandoning Nigeria's Good Life For The Us,its A Blessing If.... by Everest1989(m): 3:47pm On May 20, 2017
Nice one at the op. Continue because I am coming over there by God grace on July.
Re: Abandoning Nigeria's Good Life For The Us,its A Blessing If.... by justwise(m): 6:51pm On May 20, 2017
Goldenboy007:
Now let me finally comment on the guy that won visa lottery by proxy. There is one thing i have learnt in this world...Never say Never.
I knew a scenario similar to his own and if not that it happened to someone close to me , I will doubt it too. I can confirm that it happened to a former school mate of mine. We used to work in the same building before relocating - He told me one day that he was contacted by a stranger that he won a visa lottery - I told him clearly that it was a scam. However the person was persistent- it happened that his CLO during his NYSC used all their corper details to play visa lottery without informing them- he now gave a condition that my friend had to marry a girl he arranged. He went ahead with the marriage and I can confirm that he traveled to the US o. So Justwise this guy may actually be telling the truth.

This is not the same and i don't know why people keep mixing things up here. The op said the stranger used info from photo album and i asked how did the stranger got his address, phone number, DOB and full name? The picture you painted above is different

2 Likes

Re: Abandoning Nigeria's Good Life For The Us,its A Blessing If.... by Bossman(m): 7:50pm On May 20, 2017
Totally on point. Well said.

Goldenboy007:
I started this topic 2013, four (4) years later the points still remain true but dynamics have changed.

Like I said - When you come to America, the first person you stay with can influence your success in America. So please be very careful, hosts can influence your goals and once you derail, hardly do people get back on track.

Another big problem that will make immigrants fail- The Naija mentality - The moment you decide to emigrate - Please leave all your Naija orientation at MMIA, they do not work here. When you come back home you can pick it from where you left it at the airport.

Supplus cash mentality - Some people will come here and the first thing they do is to go into spending spree- thinking they will hit a job that will rain dollars ...you will become stranded faster than you think because US is not an excess cash economy..before you will earn $1..walahi you go work.

"My helper ooo " mentality - it is only in Nigeria that the song will work- here your only helper is God. If you think you have an uncle or aunt that will feed or accomodate you for free here , I am sorry for you. They can welcome you the 1st or 2nd week but after that wahala go start, even your own siblings will tell you the koko!!

Neighborhood mentality - Nigerians in US are not too entertaining - US is an individualistic society- leave your village connection at the MMIA airport. No uneccessary visitation, give notice before you go visiting people even if they used to be your village paddy - Emeka wey you sabi for Nigeria is not the same Emeka thay have lived in US - face your mission here - build your own life - it's only in Nigeria that you are friends with all the people on your street.

To be continued

Re: Abandoning Nigeria's Good Life For The Us,its A Blessing If.... by justwise(m): 7:53pm On May 20, 2017
Pidgin2:
OP, nice advice, really true, you painted a real picture of things unlike those liars posting junk about paradise on earth.

Justwise, I must say kudos to you for helping some people about being scammed. How can someone claim that an agent picked his details randomly and applied for him, chai, people are liars.

Once again, OP is on point

Till today i still don't understand how anybody will believe this story.

2 Likes

Re: Abandoning Nigeria's Good Life For The Us,its A Blessing If.... by Nobody: 8:06pm On May 20, 2017
justwise:

Some people are gullible cheesy
Re: Abandoning Nigeria's Good Life For The Us,its A Blessing If.... by rinzaugustine: 2:13am On May 21, 2017
justwise:

I think he threw it as a decoy to trap some gulible people into sending p.ms to him in the hope of being connected to the miracle working agent.I fell for it when i first saw it and started wondering why i havent had such extraordinary luck in my life until you pointed pointed out the loopholes in the story

1 Like

Re: Abandoning Nigeria's Good Life For The Us,its A Blessing If.... by Everest1989(m): 5:47am On May 21, 2017
Goldenboy007:

Hi, I am not sure how this works but it seems NL has a messaging system. PM me.

Thanks
I have pmed you.
Re: Abandoning Nigeria's Good Life For The Us,its A Blessing If.... by justwise(m): 8:03am On May 21, 2017
rinzaugustine:
I think he threw it as a decoy to trap some gulible people into sending p.ms to him in the hope of being connected to the miracle working agent
.I fell for it when i first saw it and started wondering why i havent had such extraordinary luck in my life until you pointed pointed out the loopholes in the story

That statement there was exactly why i picked interest in this fictitious story.

Do you know that a nairalander was arrested in American embassy few years ago trying to impersonate a lottery winner?

One of the VOs here commented on that case but refused to expose the member but we all knew who that person was.

2 Likes

Re: Abandoning Nigeria's Good Life For The Us,its A Blessing If.... by Goldenboy007(m): 11:10pm On May 21, 2017
I have mentioned in the past- A lizard will not become a crocodile just because it was relocated into the swamp.

Many people have a misconception of the life in US, after relocation then reality will dawn on them. If you do not know how to hustle in Nigeria where you were born, how do you think you will make it in a country where a mere language accent is a barrier? Dollars do not grow on trees, you work very hard for it and more go into tax and bills. There is a systemic discrimination so you need to be at the top of your game - and by game I mean improving your professional skills. For me the difference between Nigeria and US is that in US you get what you pay for ....electricty, good roads, health, school, security, good life.
Information Technology (IT) is the most lucrative career here in terms of the ease to get qualified and earn good salary. The health sector is also lucrative but you must be ready go back to school for a long time. Core finance is also a lucrative line. Employers love certificates and experience. US companies most times do not recognize non-US experience so be ready to start from the bottom and rise through the ranks. However be confident of your self worth and your competence, some are lucky to get management positions from the start.

Next I will talk about what can send you back to MMIA faster than you think - Card debts and minimum payment

To be continued

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Abandoning Nigeria's Good Life For The Us,its A Blessing If.... by rinzaugustine: 12:05am On May 22, 2017
justwise:
[b]

That statement there was exactly why i picked interest in this fictitious story.

Do you know that a nairalander was arrested in American embassy few years ago trying to impersonate a lottery winner?

One of the VOs here commented on that case but refused to expose the member but we all knew who that person was.
Keep up the good work brother.I really appreciate it

2 Likes

Re: Abandoning Nigeria's Good Life For The Us,its A Blessing If.... by Goldenboy007(m): 6:42pm On May 22, 2017
There are so much myths and hearsay you get from people before coming into US, even some so called long residents of US still pass down this false information to new immigrants. One important issue is how to build your Credit Score. A Credit Score is like your Credit Standing or Ratings or Worthiness which determines your ability to get credit facilities in the US. For example it is considered when renting apartment or buying house, getting car loans, personal loans, bank credit cards, store cards, reward cards, Cable/ Internet Services,Getting Utilities,Cellular Services and other financial facilities, in fact your Credit Scores is like your life.

US economy runs on credit unlike Nigeria where most transactions are cash basis, and when you ruin your credit score you "may" become financially useless except you start running everything on cash. Normally when you get into US you have low Credit Score because you do not have a Credit history. Your Credit Score is typical based on number of credit facilities you have, your payment performance and number of years of credit history. it could range from 300 to 850, the higher the better.
Someone once said - "if you want to hide anything from a black man put it in a book". People are too lazy to investigate or research any information given to them, they find it easier listening to second-hand information. When I got into US, people passed down a lot of information, 80% were false, if you are not careful you would be misled. One of the information is about the Credit Score - They told me to go apply for many credit cards and owe debts. Some people will come to US and start accruing credit card debts, they will get Store credit cards, buy everything on credit, buy things they do not need, clothes, shoes, gadgets, furniture, etc. They will opt out for minimum payment, what they pay monthly is not enough to cover the interest accruing on their debt monthly so the debt begins to accumulate. Some people will never have any savings because they will pay debts for the rest of their lives. They will now start living from one paycheck to another paycheck, then they will say "you are one paycheck to being homeless". Sabi yourself no be abuse.

When I just got into the US I applied for Bank of America Credit Card - They told me to go bring my grand mother's right hand, pay fees and deposits and I should wait a long time for approval, I told them to shove it up their behind. When I got a job, my salary account was with the bank - When my savings hit the $10,000 mark, they started begging me to come collect their credit card free of charge- No deposit !!!! they approved me in 10 mins online. I have rules for using Credit Cards - I don't buy anything on credit if I do not have the cash in hand. So when I buy on credit, I pay everything back before it hits month end cycle, I do not have minimum payment. I got a second card from Chase Bank through Amazon and I applied same principle. My credit score is close to 800.

Do not acquire debts in US, you are simply planning your visa back home. To be continued - Buying cars, mortgage etc. Also ask me any question or guidelines on living in US.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Abandoning Nigeria's Good Life For The Us,its A Blessing If.... by Everest1989(m): 10:05pm On May 22, 2017
please is second hand cars cheap in the USA?
Re: Abandoning Nigeria's Good Life For The Us,its A Blessing If.... by Goldenboy007(m): 2:47pm On May 23, 2017
Everest1989:
please is second hand cars cheap in the USA?

I will answer this question and then talk about buying a car. First of all - it depends on the kind of car you want to buy - New or Used. For New cars you probably need to get a car loan but you can get cheap used cars too. In fact you can get a used car for as low as a $1000 depending on what you need.

As a new immigrant, my advise is for you to save your money as much as you can. Your need for a car depends on where you live. In Chicago if you live around areas in downtown then there is no need for a car - The Bus and Train systems are fantastic. That is common with major cities in US. Its even cheaper to use public transits because owning a car may be expensive - City stickers, Parking permits, License plate registration and parking meters. However if you live in the suburbs then you need a car, you cannot live in a suburb without a car because buses sometimes do not get to the suburb or they have terrible time tables. If you don not want to be stranded on a cold evening, please you need a car. I pity some new residents that end up buying expensive cars on loan and when job is not forth coming they begin to accumulate debts.
There are many ways to buy a car - from a dealer or from private owners - If you just got into the US and you want to save money avoid buying cars from a car dealer - rather look for a private owner - Reasons

A car dealer - Apart from the car being very expensive, he will add different needless fees - He might provide you a loan even if you have a bad credit but the interest would be high and you will pay loan fees. He will also charge you dealer's commission, higher dealer's tax, extras on car registration and number plates, and other fees he may invent. Once you sign those documents you are done!!! Although if you have a good job and want a newer car you can go to a dealer.

A private owner - You can get cars cheap from them and avoid needless fees. Just ensure the car has good title.

Best place to search for owner seller is on Craigslist - Before you buy a car - go to Kelly Blue Book to check the estimated value of the car then you can negotiate with the seller.

Good tips for buying a car from craigslist - To be continued

9 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Abandoning Nigeria's Good Life For The Us,its A Blessing If.... by Everest1989(m): 8:57pm On May 23, 2017
Goldenboy007:

I will answer this question and then talk about buying a car. First of all - it depends on the kind of car you want to buy - New or Used. For New cars you probably need to get a car loan but you can get cheap used cars too. In fact you can get a used car for as low as a $1000 depending on what you need.

As a new immigrant, my advise is for you to save your money as much as you can. Your need for a car depends on where you live. In Chicago if you live around areas in downtown then there is no need for a car - The Bus and Train systems are fantastic. That is common with major cities in US. Its even cheaper to use public transits because owning a car may be expensive - City stickers, Parking permits, License plate registration and parking meters. However if you live in the suburbs then you need a car, you cannot live in a suburb without a car because buses sometimes do not get to the suburb or they have terrible time tables. If you don not want to be stranded on a cold evening, please you need a car. I pity some new residents that end up buying expensive cars on loan and when job is not forth coming they begin to accumulate debts.
There are many ways to buy a car - from a dealer or from private owners - If you just got into the US and you want to save money avoid buying cars from a car dealer - rather look for a private owner - Reasons

A car dealer - Apart from the car being very expensive, he will add different needless fees - He might provide you a loan even if you have a bad credit but the interest would be high and you will pay loan fees. He will also charge you dealer's commission, higher dealer's tax, extras on car registration and number plates, and other fees he may invent. Once you sign those documents you are done!!! Although if you have a good job and want a newer car you can go to a dealer.

A private owner - You can get cars cheap from them and avoid needless fees. Just ensure the car has good title.

Best place to search for owner seller is on Craigslist - Before you buy a car - go to Kelly Blue Book to check the estimated value of the car then you can negotiate with the seller.

thanks a lot...keep it coming...

3 Likes

Re: Abandoning Nigeria's Good Life For The Us,its A Blessing If.... by Laird(m): 9:16pm On May 23, 2017
Goldenboy007:

GoldenBoy007......Thank You for all this information. We really appreciate. This is what the Indian and Chinese and Asians do to succeed in The Developed world...Share information with each other

Thank.You so much
More Goodwill to You

3 Likes

Re: Abandoning Nigeria's Good Life For The Us,its A Blessing If.... by Goldenboy007(m): 4:44am On May 24, 2017
@Everest.. I replied you and I replied the rest too. Also if your question is not confidential please put it here so that others can learn too. We are all learning.

Thank you guys...The best gift anybody can give you as a new resident in US is correct information.

Buying used cars from Craigslist to save money as new US residents

This is one of the best resource available to you. Buying on Craigslist has its do's and don'ts - One thing you need to know is that auto repair is very expensive in the US, in fact a problematic car can ruin you. If you are managing your savings then go for the Honda or Toyota, they are work horses. Also do not be too bothered about the mileage because the auto maintenance culture in US is fantastic. Some vehicles can go up to 300,000 miles, however try to buy within the 190,000 miles limit. Different States in US have different rules on car registration. In Illinois you need to do emission test every 2 years for most vehicles except the very new ones. So if you buy a car with "Check Engine" light you may have to pay for repairs soon. In New Jersey I think you need to certify for road worthiness immediately, so please check google for the requirement in your state.
Another strong warning - avoid cars sold by Mexicans (apologies to Mexicans) or Middle East race (Syrians and Co), most of these guys are shrewd. They have our sense too ..lol. Most of their cars are tampered with, especially the mileage. Invest in Carfax...and that is if they will release the VIN of their cars. Target the "white American" sellers that live in the suburbs, they take care of their cars well and they are mostly truthful about the condition of the cars. Our Naija people sef dey craigslist o, if you send money to them, your name will turn to sorry! lol. Check to ensure the cars have clean titles, be careful of salvage or rebuild.
Car Auctions are available too but you must have auction license (and some Licenses are export only) If you have further questions on this you can ask them here so that others will learn.

Another area you can save money is Auto Insurance - Please shop around for the cheapest auto Insurance and stick to state minimum which is called Liability only. However drive with sense, accidents that results in legal cases can send you back to MMIA. If you buy a newer car please do your full insurance.

Driving license in US - Different states with different rules - Please go to google to find out whichever applies to you - I heard Illinois allows you to drive with International License for 90 days but please confirm. However you will need to do a driving test; written and practical. New Jersey may give you credit if you have Nigerian driving license. North Carolina do not accept international driving License but they will allow you sit for driving test - even with a visitors visa.
Please take note you cannot leave your vehicle without license plate - you will get a ticket - I learnt the hard way. If you have kids then you will need to buy a car. Also take note that driving in US is very very very very very very different from driving in Nigeria - Tickets can send you back to MMIA.

I have several other hints to talk about - Renting affordable apartment guidelines, buying house - what to know, furnishing your house, Getting education, Should you go drive a Taxi, working in corporate America, etc. Then I have advice for those coming on student visa (F1) and the potential new hurdles with working on H1B visa. I make out time from my busy time for these posting so bear with me - To be continued.

Please be free to ask any question or add your contribution, I will answer those I can. And please stick to Nairaland rules !!!

5 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Abandoning Nigeria's Good Life For The Us,its A Blessing If.... by Everest1989(m): 8:39am On May 24, 2017
Goldenboy007:
@Everest.. I replied you and I replied the rest too. Also if your question is not confidential please put it here so that others can learn too. We are all learning.

Thank you guys...The best gift anybody can give you as a new resident in US is correct information.

This is one of the best resource available to you. Buying on Craigslist has its do's and don'ts - One thing you need to know is that auto repair is very expensive in the US, in fact a problematic car can ruin you. If you are managing your savings then go for the Honda or Toyota, they are work horses. Also do not be too bothered about the mileage because the auto maintenance culture in US is fantastic. Some vehicles can go up to 300,000 miles, however try to buy within the 190,000 miles limit. Different States in US have different rules on car registration. In Illinois you need to do emission test every 2 years for most vehicles except the very new ones. So if you buy a car with "Check Engine" light you may have to pay for repairs soon. In New Jersey I think you need to certify for road worthiness immediately, so please check google for the requirement in your state.
Another strong warning - avoid cars sold by Mexicans (apologies to Mexicans) or Middle East race (Syrians and Co), most of these guys are shrewd. They have our sense too ..lol. Most of their cars are tampered with, especially the mileage. Invest in Carfax...and that is if they will release the VIN of their cars. Target the "white American" sellers that live in the suburbs, they take care of their cars well and they are mostly truthful about the condition of the cars. Our Naija people sef dey craigslist o, if you send money to them, your name will turn to sorry! lol. Check to ensure the cars have clean titles, be careful of salvage or rebuild.
Car Auctions are available too but you must have auction license (and some Licenses are export only) If you have further questions on this you can ask them here so that others will learn.

Another area you can save money is Auto Insurance - Please shop around for the cheapest auto Insurance and stick to state minimum which is called Liability only. However drive with sense, accidents that results in legal cases can send you back to MMIA. If you buy a newer car please do your full insurance.

Driving license in US - Different states with different rules - Please go to google to find out whichever applies to you - I heard Illinois allows you to drive with International License for 90 days but please confirm. However you will need to do a driving test; written and practical. New Jersey may give you credit if you have Nigerian driving license. North Carolina do not accept international driving License but they will allow you sit for driving test - even with a visitors visa.
Please take note you cannot leave your vehicle without license plate - you will get a ticket - I learnt the hard way. If you have kids then you will need to buy a car. Also take note that driving in US is very very very very very very different from driving in Nigeria - Tickets can send you back to MMIA.

I have several other hints to talk about - Renting affordable apartment guidelines, buying house - what to know, furnishing your house, Getting education, Should you go drive a Taxi, working in corporate America, etc. Then I have advice for those coming on student visa (F1) and the potential new hurdles with working on H1B visa. I make out time from my busy time for these posting so bear with me - To be continued.

Please be free to ask any question or add your contribution, I will answer those I can. And please stick to Nairaland rules !!!

thanks very much man...you are really trying...keep it up... yes, my question is confidential... I have sent you the message...thanks.
Re: Abandoning Nigeria's Good Life For The Us,its A Blessing If.... by TosinNairaland: 11:52am On Jun 03, 2017
Everest1989:

thanks very much man...you are really trying...keep it up... yes, my question is confidential... I have sent you the message...thanks.
Everest1989:

Pls post guidelines to getting a good/cheap apartment in the US. Pls quite urgent. Thanks
Re: Abandoning Nigeria's Good Life For The Us,its A Blessing If.... by TosinNairaland: 12:00pm On Jun 03, 2017
Goldenboy007:

@goldenboy007 pls do share hint/tips to getting a good/cheap accommodation in US. Quite urgent. Thank you

Re: Abandoning Nigeria's Good Life For The Us,its A Blessing If.... by Goldenboy007(m): 12:47pm On Jun 03, 2017
TosinNairaland:

Pls post guidelines to getting a good/cheap apartment in the US. Pls quite urgent. Thanks

So for Apartments -

Accommodation- For new immigrants - I always advise new immigrants not to overstay at their hosts - America is different from Nigeria, people live on strict budget. If you are lucky to have been accommodated by friends or family, start planning how you will move in the first 6 weeks - Even if the host is your sibling, what of their spouse, will they be comfortable with you around ? Again be very helpful when you are living in others houses - do the dishes and buy little groceries. In fact you can offer a little money as part of the rent. Let them feel you are a blessing coming to live with them.
Cost of accommodation depends on location. Families choose areas with good school district and safety or security. Some areas can be very cheap but are they safe ? Does it have good schools for your kids? Is it far from where jobs are ? Access to fast public transits? Train station? Buses? Nearness to shopping malls , nearness to your place of work?
In Chicago for example - You don't want to stay in South Side of Chicago - that's where all the crimes are. The apartments there are very cheap - We have different kind of apartments- Studio, 1 bedroom , 2 bedrooms, etc, town house, Condo, Single family home etc. Studio is what we call Self Contain in Nigeria - A room with bathroom. Kitchen and all are inside the single room. Also note we call restroom - "Bathroom", regardless if it has toilet and bath. ( don't ask anybody for Toilet).
I also heard some side of Newark in New Jersey is a no go area. In Chicago - There are many Nigerians and immigrants in the Chicago North side. You will want to get an apartment where you can be close to people of your kind so that you can get information quickly. Indians do that, don't go and isolate yourself in the middle of nowhere - for security reasons - like it or hate it - there is still traces of racism in US, (it has become more prominent especially with this new govt) you don't want to end up in a strange community.
For cheap accommodation, I try to balance the values you will get from the accommodation and the cost - Remember all I said earlier - For a hustling single immigrant or family go to Craigslit - There are various accommodation options - shared apartments - people looking for roommates, just be careful you do not fall into scams. Also church or mosque communities are important - They help out with information for accommodation. Information is key in the US, do not isolate yourself.
Craigslist has different cheap options - from Studio to a single family home. Some landlords or agents will not rent out to people without jobs or bad credit history or score. Make sure you read the conditions for letting.
Tips
Look for Apartments that has free utilities or the cost added into the rent - Water, Trash, cooking gas and heating , - although you will always pay for electricity. They will probably ask you for 1 month deposit but if you good credit score- You may not be asked for security deposit. Just go to Craigslist, click your state, then go to "housing", then you click either apt/housing or rooms/shared or sublets/temporary.
Please be careful of scams, see house and agent office before giving out money o...and stay off dangerous areas. Ask me questions.

2 Likes 3 Shares

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (16) (Reply)

See Photos Of Akwa Ibom Air Flights Awaiting Delivery From Canada To Nigeria / Is This The True State Of Imo First Flyover? - Photos / What Will You Do if you find your international passport like this? (photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 150
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.