Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,406 members, 7,808,448 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:03 PM

Can You Date Or Marry An Atheist? - Romance (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Can You Date Or Marry An Atheist? (1985 Views)

LADIES! What Job Or Profession Of A Man Can Make You Not Date Or Marry Him?? / Photos: Guys Can You Date This Beatiful Damsel? / Can U Date Or Marry An Albino? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Can You Date Or Marry An Atheist? by Nobody: 10:29am On Oct 08, 2013
clixa: for one who is not an atheist to marry or date an atheist is not advisable. The love they share might be cool and sweet at start but as time goes on, they both start seeing things in a different ways because of their beliefs and when such happens there will problems and misunderstandin in the marriage which wil also affect their children and people who are close to them.

Gbam.
Re: Can You Date Or Marry An Atheist? by Nobody: 4:05pm On Oct 08, 2013
Sard: sorry for quoting the whole post. The verse is actually meant for married people in which either of the husband or wife change his or her religious belief. e.g may be the the wife converts to Christianity or the husband looses faith in religion. In that case, in the best interest of the person and children(if involved), the person may decide to stay. Divorce was emphasised in the passage but do unmarried people divorce? I think the best answer to this thread has been given by @vivly.

where in the Bible is it written that it is for married people?
Re: Can You Date Or Marry An Atheist? by Sard(m): 4:19pm On Oct 08, 2013
carefreewannabe:

where in the Bible is it written that it is for married people?
Really From the passage you quoted out from d Bible, :1 Corinthians 7:12 But to the rest speak I, not the Lord: If any brother hath a wife that believeth not, and she be pleased to dwell with him, let him not put her away. the word 'wife' is clearly written in that verse, and I don't know when the Bible starts referring to unmarried people as husband and wife, if u do, kindly let me know.

1 Like

Re: Can You Date Or Marry An Atheist? by UyiIredia(m): 10:43pm On Oct 08, 2013
Evil Brain: Someone please explain to me how being an atheist is a flaw. So because a guy won't believe the ridiculous fairytales our former slavemasters imposed on our forefathers without proof, you think there is something wrong with him?

I suppose you want to marry someone who believes every bĂșllshit story told to him without question. Is being a mugu now an attractive quality or what? Someone should please explain.

It is precisely this kind of cranky attitude that worsens an already sorry state of affairs.
Re: Can You Date Or Marry An Atheist? by UyiIredia(m): 10:45pm On Oct 08, 2013
@ Vivly: What about a deist who isn't VEHEMENTLY opposed to religion ? Would you marry him if he fits the bill in other respects ?
Re: Can You Date Or Marry An Atheist? by UyiIredia(m): 10:48pm On Oct 08, 2013
Enegod: Until they have kids......and momma
takes them to church and the kids want
to tell daddy about God ......
and daddy says there is no God!!!!!!
smh

The funny thing is some dedicated Christians came from hardened atheist homes Awake has lots of examples and a good example of this is Alister McGrath. OTOH, some people from strong Christian homes became atheists, even pastors, like Chuck Templeton, a revivalist of the same time with Billy Graham.
Re: Can You Date Or Marry An Atheist? by Vivly(f): 10:50pm On Oct 08, 2013
Uyi Iredia: @ Vivly: What about a deist who isn't VEHEMENTLY opposed to religion ? Would you marry him if he fits the bill in other respects ?
Love bad o. But No. There is every tendency for him to drift to being a fanatic atheist. Besides, i like the idea of joint parenting between couples who hold same views
Re: Can You Date Or Marry An Atheist? by UyiIredia(m): 10:55pm On Oct 08, 2013
Baybe: I'd like to believe that there are some very good atheists, even better than some so-called Christians. Their only flaw would be their unbelief. It's not like they are perfect if you decide to ignore their unbelief, but you are willing to overlook other imperfections.

Now, the Bible said we should not make friends with unbelievers not to talk of even getting married to them. I asked some people and they are willing to damn the consequences and marry atheists. I must say they are extremely open-minded.

Are you that open-minded? What if you are crazily in love, can you go ahead with the marriage? Are you willing to damn the consequences? Can you date or marry an atheist?

Your views are needed.

Sure. If she fulfills my requirements of physical beauty, good character and sexual compatibility, I would marry her. Now NL's owner is such a person, is he a husband material ?
Re: Can You Date Or Marry An Atheist? by UyiIredia(m): 10:59pm On Oct 08, 2013
Vivly: Love bad o. But No. There is every tendency for him to drift to being a fanatic atheist. Besides, i like the idea of joint parenting between couples who hold same views

The bolded captures me. Why conclude that ? BTW, couples who hold the same views on religion may differ in many other respects which can even lead to a divorce. I say this is because unlike you I think a marriage between such persons is possible, in fact, there are marriages like that, especially in the West. Some have failed, some lasted.
Re: Can You Date Or Marry An Atheist? by Nobody: 11:01pm On Oct 08, 2013
Dating- yes
marriage- no
Re: Can You Date Or Marry An Atheist? by UyiIredia(m): 2:53pm On Oct 09, 2013
chidyhels: Dating- yes
marriage- no

Chai ! Harsh babe.
Re: Can You Date Or Marry An Atheist? by adexsimply(m): 9:59am On Nov 02, 2013
Sure.. Why not? smiley
Re: Can You Date Or Marry An Atheist? by UjSizzle(f): 10:11am On Nov 02, 2013
No.
I want children who grow up believing in God and Jesus. Even if there is the tendency of them forming an opinion of their own later in life, I'd rather it didn't stem from hubby's lack of belief.
Re: Can You Date Or Marry An Atheist? by freda506(f): 11:08am On Nov 02, 2013
Re: Can You Date Or Marry An Atheist? by Nobody: 2:00pm On Nov 03, 2013
adexsimply: Sure.. Why not? smiley
The question is not for you tongue.
Re: Can You Date Or Marry An Atheist? by adexsimply(m): 3:19pm On Nov 03, 2013
Baybe: The question is not for you tongue.
Why not? undecided
Re: Can You Date Or Marry An Atheist? by Nobody: 7:57pm On Nov 03, 2013
I would love to
Re: Can You Date Or Marry An Atheist? by adexsimply(m): 3:28am On Jul 24, 2014
But of course!
Re: Can You Date Or Marry An Atheist? by adexsimply(m): 3:29am On Jul 24, 2014
Vivly: Love bad o. But No. There is every tendency for him to drift to being a fanatic atheist. Besides, i like the idea of joint parenting between couples who hold same views
what if you get married to a Christian who later converts after like 5 years of marriage?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Guys Can You Date A Feminist? / Please Help!!!!!!! She Wants To Come Back After A Year She Broke My Hearth / She Slept With Her Boss To Give HER Husband A Job Now He Wants Divorce.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.