Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,794 members, 7,806,198 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 12:54 PM

Are Churches Really Helping The Poor And Unemployed In Our Society Today? - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Are Churches Really Helping The Poor And Unemployed In Our Society Today? (16506 Views)

Helping The Thinkers Believe, And Helping The Believers Think. / Oritsejafor To Jonathan - Give Half Of Your Salary To The Poor / Donate To The Poor And Needy Not Pastors tithe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Are Churches Really Helping The Poor And Unemployed In Our Society Today? by farolee(m): 3:14pm On Oct 10, 2013
Ukuts gp: So churches are not suppose 2 support the poor is that what you are saying?

is not scriptural to support/help the poor and broadcast it to the world.church all over the world dish out billions to help the poor ,but the reward is cancell when you let one one knows what u gave the other hand.that more reason you dont see responds from churches to defend wht they give.
Re: Are Churches Really Helping The Poor And Unemployed In Our Society Today? by HumbledbYGrace(f): 3:26pm On Oct 10, 2013
InvertedHammer: /

Churches are not in business to help the poor.

Their jobs are centered around winning souls for Christ.

You will reap your benefits in heaven.

Meanwhile, bring your wallet.

//
hehehe and what about those letter Paul wrote to the churches Did he just say, 'win their souls and leave them hungry?'

What did Jesus Christ do with the multitude that came to hear the good news? Did he preach or share the word the send them home

What did the first church do in the Acts of the Apostles

So much for being Christlike mtcheeew!!

1 Like

Re: Are Churches Really Helping The Poor And Unemployed In Our Society Today? by alex1612: 3:32pm On Oct 10, 2013
Ukuts gp: So churches are not suppose 2 support the poor is that what you are saying?
Churches support less privilege often. Do you want them to put it own media before you know? It should not be in such a way that you do to advertise church, doing good but unto God alone. My own do, for Prisoners, sick in hospital, for refuges, scholarships for students, orphans, widows and the rest, if you care to know. Don't ask me the name pls.
Re: Are Churches Really Helping The Poor And Unemployed In Our Society Today? by pri3stess(f): 3:43pm On Oct 10, 2013
nwanna89: Attended an RCCG service in US recently. One pastor came from nigeria for a four-day event. The first day, he told church members to sow a seed in their life by dropping $500 each. The next day, he told the same church members to sow yet another seed in their lives with $1200. Didnt attend the third day, but am sure it wouldve been the same. In other words, a pauper attending the church cannot also gain from God's blessings.

The size of the seed does not determine the size of the tree...
Really? Wow I would have given that man a very deafening slap for spewing such rubbish and I don't care if I was in church, I'm sure even God was angry at him for what he said.

3 Likes

Re: Are Churches Really Helping The Poor And Unemployed In Our Society Today? by CharliParker: 3:43pm On Oct 10, 2013
Lets emulate from TB JOSHUA he is a good example, he has no private jet but he insist in helping people not only in Nigeria but around the world, thats why God is blessing him the more, not private Jet this time

1 Like

Re: Are Churches Really Helping The Poor And Unemployed In Our Society Today? by pri3stess(f): 3:47pm On Oct 10, 2013
InvertedHammer: /

Churches are not in business to help the poor.

Their jobs are centered around winning souls for Christ.

You will reap your benefits in heaven.

Meanwhile, bring your wallet.

//
SMH Seriously some of you all will go to hell with fuel on your clothes. Mtcheewwwww

2 Likes

Re: Are Churches Really Helping The Poor And Unemployed In Our Society Today? by oselenkejoor: 3:52pm On Oct 10, 2013
See how you spewing balderdash! Wait a minute! what do you think the church is? The Church is not some tall cathedral or building. We all are the Church, we are the body of Christ! The basic problem with an average Nigerian is the mindset disorientation, we lament and proclaim our woes about the country, this is bad, things are not working. The question should be How are you yourself helping the poor in your neighbourhood. Dont join people to talk down on the church, you are not only sinning against yourself but against the Holy Spirit.

Ukuts gp: Are churches really helping the poor and the less priviledge in our society? considering the way pastors are buying jets, building mega churches worth billions of naira, cruising on an expensive cars even when some members hardly feed and takes care of their families. When you look at churches you will discover that they hardly help the poor and the unemployed members to stand on their feet financially. Building mega churches, buying private jets is not my problem, but helping the needy and unemployed is. My point is churches should contribute to helping the less priviledge in the church and society in general, that is what jesus is expecting churches to be doing and not the other way round. Now the question is: are churches helping the poor and needy in our society today or not? Give your candid opinion. Thanks.
Re: Are Churches Really Helping The Poor And Unemployed In Our Society Today? by Johnnny(m): 3:52pm On Oct 10, 2013
farolee:

is not scriptural to support/help the poor and broadcast it to the world.church all over the world dish out billions to help the poor ,but the reward is cancell when you let one one knows what u gave the other hand.that more reason you dont see responds from churches to defend wht they give.
alex1612:

Churches support less privilege often. Do you want them to put it own media before you know? It should not be in such a way that you do to advertise church, doing good but unto God alone. My own do, for Prisoners, sick in hospital, for refuges, scholarships for students, orphans, widows and the rest, if you care to know. Don't ask me the name pls.

But is it scriptural for Pastors to live flamboyant lifestyles, extravagance and pompous lives like priests of old. Some have even turn the church to business centres by selling Miracle soaps, anointing oils, vests etc. Forgeting that they are doing the same thing Jesus went against in the temple, when he destroyed the tables of people selling such items as these.

5 Likes

Re: Are Churches Really Helping The Poor And Unemployed In Our Society Today? by HumbledbYGrace(f): 3:53pm On Oct 10, 2013
CharliParker: Lets emulate from TB JOSHUA he is a good example, he has no private jet but he insist in helping people not only in Nigeria but around the world, thats why God is blessing him the more, not private Jet this time
God blessed Nigeria with that man, he just inspires me truth be told.
Re: Are Churches Really Helping The Poor And Unemployed In Our Society Today? by nedostic: 3:55pm On Oct 10, 2013
In my own submission, I think some churches are trying their best to salvage the situation but we need to equally note that the church is just a minute segment of the society.

We ALL owe it to ourselves mostly those of us who professed the LORD JESUS CHRIST as our SAVIOUR to do all we can to help those who are in need. We should not see the poor as being poor for the reason that they are lazy or lack resilience but rather the poor are usually poor for the mere reason that they lack 'some' opportunities to turn around their vulnerable socio-economic state.

Methinks, one of the core challenges of the 'modern church' has to do with over emphasis on 'materialism' and less of pragmatic brotherly love.

The main theme of christianity is love with charity. LOVE for God and love for human kind! Love in its purest form can be seen as a demonstrative act rather than mere rhethorics. Love is ALL about 'giving' and mostly paying attention to the needy.

Lastly, the church has to do more in this regard BUT the onus is on the government to equally come up with palliative measures on curbing poverty by creating jobs for the Nigerian populace most notably vulnerable groups such as rural dwellers, women and youths.

Pax Vobiscum!

4 Likes

Re: Are Churches Really Helping The Poor And Unemployed In Our Society Today? by Nobody: 3:56pm On Oct 10, 2013
Frankly speaking they are not helping at all.
Re: Are Churches Really Helping The Poor And Unemployed In Our Society Today? by HumbledbYGrace(f): 3:56pm On Oct 10, 2013
Johnnny:

But is it scriptural for Pastors to live flamboyant lifestyles, extravagance and pompous lives like priests of old. Some have even turn the church to business centres by selling Miracle soaps, anointing oils, vests etc. Forgeting that they are doing the same thing Jesus went against in the temple, when he destroyed the tables of people selling such items as these.
let me add to this, some even sell pens for examinations o.

1 Like

Re: Are Churches Really Helping The Poor And Unemployed In Our Society Today? by Fussbot: 4:02pm On Oct 10, 2013
abe tie ya were gaan ni?

Everyday church sps do dis sps do dat,na ur church sps dey giv u money for food na...

U wey dey talk,how much u don give church mae in use 4 charity?mtscheew

and bout pastors driving big cars,go and find out bout dos who contributed to the money 4 d pastors car,THEY CAN NEVER BE POOR,al d church members dat are poor are simply STINGY...mtscheew
Re: Are Churches Really Helping The Poor And Unemployed In Our Society Today? by sale1: 4:05pm On Oct 10, 2013
Ukuts gp: Dnt u hv eyes to see d number of poor people in church. Many ar dancing, singing on an empty stomach and behaving as if nothing is wrong but all is nt well. If church can be using the tithe money to meet d need of members wouldnt it be better instead of storing it in banks and member ar suffering? Ask urself.

1.Are they no poor Muslims in our society?
2.Are the imam cooking food for their follow Muslim worshipers in the mosque?
3.And how does this lau lau spending of this pastors affect u?
watch wah u say b4 God will punish ur mouth, @least they use their money to buy jet not to sponsor boko haram grin shocked tongue

2 Likes

Re: Are Churches Really Helping The Poor And Unemployed In Our Society Today? by CharliParker: 4:07pm On Oct 10, 2013
The 3 things that will ever last HOPE, FAITH,AND LOVE the greatest is LOVE ,and it requres a great sacrifice, 1 corinth 13vs 13. We should love one another, and also help the needy
Re: Are Churches Really Helping The Poor And Unemployed In Our Society Today? by SlimShawty(f): 4:09pm On Oct 10, 2013
I know three teenagers(siblings) in my church who're orphaned.When their parents died,they were left with nothing.The members of the church took responsibility.
The eldest gained admission into Covenant University,under the sponsorship of the church.The two younger ones attend good schools here in ph,under the sponsorship of the church.Infact,you'd never believe that they're orphans.
Every quarter of the year,there's a samaritan week in my church.Clothes,shoes,foodstuff,and money are given to the poor and needy.Sometimes,collective units in the church take it upon themselves to start up businesses for those who lack capital to do so on their own.
And there's also the church bursary that comes up every year...infact the list is endless.
Not all pastors are wont to televise,or announce their charity works with gongs and loud trumpets.Some prefer to do it quietly.
And as for the church members...who told u they're suffering?Have you ever walked past a church compound and wondered if it's a car shop or if there's a car sale going on there?? I have.Lotsa times,trust me.
As far as I'm concerned,churches are trying,even more than the government.Shikenah.

1 Like

Re: Are Churches Really Helping The Poor And Unemployed In Our Society Today? by Nobody: 4:10pm On Oct 10, 2013
Pastor Kun:

The funny thing is that those hungry people you mentioned are also part of the church yet the 'church' leadership ignores their needs and goes on to extort tithes from the little they have from them.
ACTUALLY THE HUGRY LAZY PEOPLE GET EXTORTED
THINKIN THEY ARE INVESTING THEIR MONEY
@THE END OF THE DAY PASTOR WINS
HE SMILES 2 THA BANK WHILE THE HUNGRY LANGUISH
UT INTERESTINGLY THEY CLAIM THEY R NOT WRETCHED
AND KEEP DOLING OUT THEIR HAD EARNED CASH

2 Likes

Re: Are Churches Really Helping The Poor And Unemployed In Our Society Today? by masotemi: 4:14pm On Oct 10, 2013
CrazyMan:
Imagine a church opening a university that more than 65% of its active members who pay their tithes and offerings regularly cannot afford and no one is asking questions.

Imagine the CAN president asking President Jonathan to give a percentage of his salary to the poor…when he has no record of any charitable act.

Imagine a GO interested in expanding his auditorium when the children of devoted members who cannot afford his expensive university are wasting away at home with no hope to further their education.

Until you break that chain of “don’t question a man of God” and begin to question pastors on how your offerings, tithes, first seed…etc. are being spent you would continually be repeatedly exploited by these greedy people.
Re: Are Churches Really Helping The Poor And Unemployed In Our Society Today? by childluck(m): 4:15pm On Oct 10, 2013
Many people in here are hypocrites and it is indeed shameless that we can still be biased along ethnic and religious lines at this age.
What is wrong about questioning the activities of the religious bodies ??
Is man made for religion or religion was made for man

Christians in here, like myself, should be more open minded and deal with realistic perspectives instead of sentiments that will benefit us not.

This is not a bad question in its self even though the intention may be questionable

The truth however is that most christians today have allowed themselves to be enslaved by religion even when the Bible says
" You should question all spririts ..."

2 Likes

Re: Are Churches Really Helping The Poor And Unemployed In Our Society Today? by Mintayo(m): 4:19pm On Oct 10, 2013
Slim Shawty: I know three teenagers(siblings) in my church who're orphaned.When their parents died,they were left with nothing.The members of the church took responsibility.
The eldest gained admission into Covenant University,under the sponsorship of the church.The two younger ones attend good schools here in ph,under the sponsorship of the church.Infact,you'd never believe that they're orphans.
Every quarter of the year,there's a samaritan week in my church.Clothes,shoes,foodstuff,and money are given to the poor and needy.Sometimes,collective units in the church take it upon themselves to start up businesses for those who lack capital to do so on their own.
And there's also the church bursary that comes up every year...infact the list is endless.
Not all pastors are wont to televise,or announce their charity works with gongs and loud trumpets.Some prefer to do it quietly.
And as for the church members...who told u they're suffering?Have you ever walked past a church compound and wondered if it's a car shop or if there's a car sale going on there?? I have.Lotsa times,trust me.
As far as I'm concerned,churches are trying,even more than the government.Shikenah.
Church are really trying,thanks for the above,more than the government sef,the church are trying.
What people want is that,churches should start announcing on TV or radio on how they help the poor,they want the church to start broadcasting it that they help the poor...smh.
Jesus said we should do things in secrets and our Father in heaven will reward us openly.
I wonder how many poor people have been helped by the peolple condemning churches in this thread,smh.
May God help us.

1 Like

Re: Are Churches Really Helping The Poor And Unemployed In Our Society Today? by childluck(m): 4:19pm On Oct 10, 2013
very well said.

Slim Shawty: I know three teenagers(siblings) in my church who're orphaned.When their parents died,they were left with nothing.The members of the church took responsibility.
Re: Are Churches Really Helping The Poor And Unemployed In Our Society Today? by Nobody: 4:21pm On Oct 10, 2013
CrazyMan:
Imagine a church opening a university that more than 65% of its active members who pay their tithes and offerings regularly cannot afford and no one is asking questions.

Imagine the CAN president asking President Jonathan to give a percentage of his salary to the poor…when he has no record of any charitable act.

Imagine a GO interested in expanding his
auditorium when the children of devoted members who cannot afford his expensive university are wasting away at home with no hope to further their education.

Until you break that chain of “don’t question a man of God” and begin to question pastors on how your offerings, tithes, first seed…etc. are being spent you would continually be repeatedly exploited by these greedy people.

Who told you CAN president is not help the poor .go to warri and ask things for yourself before typing what you do not know.must a person announce to the whole world that he wants to help,a good example is T.B Joshua.other pastors are helping but not advertisingadvertising.
Re: Are Churches Really Helping The Poor And Unemployed In Our Society Today? by Oloriebi22(m): 4:28pm On Oct 10, 2013
church help ke?? grin grin grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Are Churches Really Helping The Poor And Unemployed In Our Society Today? by Pattey(m): 4:37pm On Oct 10, 2013
stagger:

Why don't you do a documentary on that and pay a visit to the churches in question on welfare days. In Winners, I cannot recollect how many of choice clothes and suits i and my wife have given away. Some bring food. Others bring all sorts of materials, given to people who need them. Not to talk of the outreaches.

OP, you and other biased people like you will only see what you want to see. Those who are objective know the truth.

Point of Order! You and your wife give to the needy thru the church, NOT Oyedepo using the church's money to cater to the needy instead of re-stocking his arsenal of diverse luxuries!
Re: Are Churches Really Helping The Poor And Unemployed In Our Society Today? by 1009ja: 4:47pm On Oct 10, 2013
Some of our supposedly houses of our Lord have lost their ways.
The church leaders are in the ministry for mostly selfish reasons and that
has dragged the church down. There is something morally wrong when a church
leader has four luxury jets when church members are not able to send their own
children to same school that their church owns and for which they are heavily 'taxed'
by the church. In Nigeria, the ministry for the most part, has become a comercial enterprise, a corrupt one.
Re: Are Churches Really Helping The Poor And Unemployed In Our Society Today? by pbling: 4:54pm On Oct 10, 2013
no tru profet al i c r moni profet,dey ll tel u our God is a richli God
Re: Are Churches Really Helping The Poor And Unemployed In Our Society Today? by royalexcel2: 4:54pm On Oct 10, 2013
Virgin Finder: Mind your business and leave the churches alone. Thank you.

Nobody has forced you to part with your N1 grin
MY dear , the truth must be told , it is for the benefit of the body of Christ , to shame the devil and exalt the Name of the Lord .

1 Like

Re: Are Churches Really Helping The Poor And Unemployed In Our Society Today? by Pattey(m): 4:56pm On Oct 10, 2013
I will say this again;

The Old Missionary Churches did a lot for Nigeria. They gave us hospitals, schools, portable water and countless social amenities. As at 1942-50 if I'm not mistaken, 97% of educated people in Nigeria were products of missionary schools.

What are the new generation churches doing today besides enriching church coffers and pastor's vaults with the Widow's mite? What a shame!

Mind you, the old churches did not even develop Nigeria with indigenous tithes and offering! I mean, how much did we have back then? They were bring the church's money from overseas to come and develop our society.

Today, churches making money even here on Nigerian soil are not making adequate efforts to live up to the creeds handed down to them by Christ.

What a shame!

2 Likes

Re: Are Churches Really Helping The Poor And Unemployed In Our Society Today? by Anniettieufia(m): 4:57pm On Oct 10, 2013
Good question,
Good answers expected,

For instance ,

What is the name of your NGO ?

How do you distribute your resources to the less privilege?

How many students are you paying their fees ?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Three Major Things God Wants From You / Does God Exist? / Is Smoking A Sin?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.