Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,273 members, 7,780,614 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 05:38 PM

UK Ends Free NHS Care For Foreign Students & Immigrants - Travel (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / UK Ends Free NHS Care For Foreign Students & Immigrants (18436 Views)

Foreigners To Be Charged To Access UK's NHS / UK Crackdown On Fake Foreign Students / No More Free Nhs For “foreigners” In Britain, This Includes “indefinite Leave To (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: UK Ends Free NHS Care For Foreign Students & Immigrants by bakynes(m): 1:01pm On Oct 07, 2013
[quote author=mystery001] Very painful! You have an additional of just about 4 months after your course end date in the Visa probably to take care of graduation and comot from their country[/quot
Re: UK Ends Free NHS Care For Foreign Students & Immigrants by bakynes(m): 1:02pm On Oct 07, 2013
mystery001: Very painful! You have an additional of just about 4 months after your course end date in the Visa probably to take care of graduation and comot from their country

We were on the same set 2011/2012
Re: UK Ends Free NHS Care For Foreign Students & Immigrants by Nobody: 1:10pm On Oct 07, 2013
fckyourman: £200 for me to us NHS. This UK is a stupid country, if all the immigrant leaves the economy will crash. Let them try it.
That's exluding the prescription bills. You go fear fear.
Re: UK Ends Free NHS Care For Foreign Students & Immigrants by cocoduck: 1:10pm On Oct 07, 2013
Saklekplus: UK and their useless law,i regreted that they are the one colonize nigeria and US instead of france,,UK with their hypocrital and discrimination,,james cameron era is a bad insect in the history of british

you don't know what you're talking about

1 Like

Re: UK Ends Free NHS Care For Foreign Students & Immigrants by toshmann(m): 1:13pm On Oct 07, 2013
Tinyemeka: Without prejudice to anyone, my common sense pressured me to ask this question:
Why should someone who is not eligible for a particular service attempt to secure free access to that service?

Good morning.

and what makes foreign students ineligible for NHS free health care? it is a public sevice and it's meant for legitimate residents of the country. if foreign students could do real work, they will pay taxes to help fund govt, but they cant work full time so they dont pay taxes (i guess). however they are legitimate residents of the UK and so are entitled to free public service.

so what next? foreign students cant walk on the streets, cant use the street lights, pay different fee for buses and trains, pay oxygen tax for every breadth they take grin

and perhaps pay a tax for any minute they are happy grin

the UK is broke, period grin . . . . . unfortunately the 3rd world countries like nigeria are so dilapidated that anywhere else is better sad
otherwise, wetin suppose carry person wey be graduate de work for correct bank for naija de go UK, or any european country for that matter

1 Like

Re: UK Ends Free NHS Care For Foreign Students & Immigrants by ThaProphet(m): 1:14pm On Oct 07, 2013
mystery001: Very painful! You have an additional of just about 4 months after your course end date in the Visa probably to take care of graduation and comot from their country

Indeed! This is why I respect the resilience of international students. I no fit do am!

You mentioned earlier that non-EU immigrants deserve a better deal. Considering how much work they put in, I agree with you. No country however gives non-citizens a better deal unfortunately. Countries welcome immigrants when they need them, when they are going through tough times, they turn against them or exploit them.

The NHS issue for example. I hear some people saying that if you don't contribute towards it, then you should not benefit from it. I am yet to see any immigrant (legal) that does not contribute towards the NHS (Including students). If you live and work in the UK (students are allowed to work and nearly all of them do work), you are contributing to the NHS. So, I find making students pay £200 to use the NHS as BS. The truth is that the UK needs money and the tories want to win the next election. £3000 visa bond is just as much about the UK needing money as it is about curbing immigration.

Oh well...that's just the way it is. I feel the pain of most immigrants and students especially.
Re: UK Ends Free NHS Care For Foreign Students & Immigrants by DisGuy: 1:15pm On Oct 07, 2013
jamngr84

1. how many students come to the uk under the pretext of studying then disappear after a year?
2. how many students on completion of their studies go back when their visa expires?
Well the answer is a lot of them with only few actually staying with the right Visa.
When you say they are paying tuition fees, i do not doubt it, but they r receiving a service which they are paying for which would have been lower if they were not visitors.
We need to respect the laws we meet in other countries cause in one way or the other we foreigners are all visitors here whether we like it or not

I am not in anyway saying people shouldnt respect their laws, just making a case for international students- seeing as they dont abuse the system[healthcare] as much as others

yes in the past a huge number of students come with student visa but then disappear, but since the cancellation of PSW the number of people staying after university have reduced especially with the recession and influx of European migrants
Re: UK Ends Free NHS Care For Foreign Students & Immigrants by funnyx(m): 1:25pm On Oct 07, 2013
toshmann:

and what makes foreign students ineligible for NHS free health care? it is a public sevice and it's meant for legitimate residents of the country. if foreign students could do real work, they will pay taxes to help fund govt, but they cant work full time so they dont pay taxes (i guess). however they are legitimate residents of the UK and so are entitled to free public service.

so what next? foreign students cant walk on the streets, cant use the street lights, pay different fee for buses and trains, pay oxygen tax for every breadth they take grin

and perhaps pay a tax for any minute they are happy grin

the UK is broke, period grin . . . . . unfortunately the 3rd world countries like nigeria are so dilapidated that anywhere else is better sad
otherwise, wetin suppose carry person wey be graduate de work for correct bank for naija de go UK, or any european country for that matter

Rubbish! International students are not UK citizens or permanent resident neither is their parents so what rights do they have to receive free health care?
There is nothing wrong with this proposal and in fact it's long overdue otherwise the NHS will no longer be sustainable.
I believe both visitors and international students should be made to buy their own health insurance but students should get a refund of their NI contribution simples.

1 Like

Re: UK Ends Free NHS Care For Foreign Students & Immigrants by Italiano1: 1:28pm On Oct 07, 2013
Afam4eva: Why did Jonathan remove Gbenga Ashiru. He's the one that knows how to deal with these people.

What do you think Gbenga Ashiru would have done about a UK government immigration policy that is not directly targeting Nigerians but all Non-EU citizens?

4 Likes

Re: UK Ends Free NHS Care For Foreign Students & Immigrants by LasBonBoi: 1:37pm On Oct 07, 2013
Government is not in the business of charity. That is why the charity business is commonly called NGO. I don't blame Cameron

1 Like

Re: UK Ends Free NHS Care For Foreign Students & Immigrants by pappilo(m): 1:38pm On Oct 07, 2013
saxywale:
That's exluding the prescription bills. You go fear fear.

Prescription is a flat rate of like £7.50 regardless of the drug you are given....Now thats cheap!!!!
Re: UK Ends Free NHS Care For Foreign Students & Immigrants by fckyourman: 1:39pm On Oct 07, 2013
crackhaus:
Just listen to yourself talk, this is the exact same attitude that Africans (especially Nigerians) are despised for. We think we are more important and useful than we actually are, we think every country we travel to should become a mini-Nigeria like it is our right. Prof. Wole Soyinka calls it the 'entitlement mentality', and it is something most young Nigerians feel within themselves.
My question for you is, how exactly do we (Nigerians) contribute to their economy? Because last I checked, UK born Nigerians don't speak the way you spoke, it is purely the Nigerian immigrants that carry their 'sense of entitlement' into another man's house.
I'm not supporting the move but call a spade a spade, if immigration decides (not that it officially will) to embargo Nigerian immigrants into the UK regardless of why they're going, their economy looses nothing...don't deceive yourself.

Who let this animal escape from zoo, Are you trying to say that Nigerians don't contribute to the economy. Answer my question below?

1) Don't Nigerians pay for their schools in the UK?(Isn't it contributing to the economy)

2) Don't Nigerians pay for their healthcare services ?

3) Don't Nigerians pay for houses as in accommodation ?

4) Don't Nigerians visit UK for vacation ?( or is it tourism don't contribute to the economy)

5) Don't Nigerians pay for visa? (Aprox 100-400£ per application)

6) Don't Nigerian pay for their examination ( ILETS, IGSCE , O Levels, etc)

Also Check around UK you will see every menial jobs there is done by the immigrants, check inside your fast food chains, your local taxi driver, your cleaners, etc are these not part of the economy ?

Even if uk born Nigerians don't speak the way I do. You can never change your fatherland and your history. If so why are they still classified as Nigerian British instead of British?

2 Likes

Re: UK Ends Free NHS Care For Foreign Students & Immigrants by mastersr95(m): 1:53pm On Oct 07, 2013
SLIDE waxie: grin nice development!

When they pass a law to start shooting u on site, u all go return to ur fatherland or motherland or granpaland.

Wetin concern me?

grin grin grin

OMG!!! this got me laughing out loud

I think i dont need to be told its time for me to pack my bags and return to Naija when london landlords started asking me to bring my papers before i can rent an apartment and very soon GPs will start to ask me for the same thing too.

All i can say is that i thank God i came to this country when i was young and all those years that i have wasted in london, i still have age on my side to start my life all over again.

But all i got to say is God will punish all those people that will come to Naija and live like a king for 2weeks and go back to their hustle in UK. God will punish them for not telling us the truth about what they do for a living and how they really live in UK.. i should be a graduate by now if i had stayed in Naija then.

I just have to thank God coz everything happens for a reason.

2 Likes

Re: UK Ends Free NHS Care For Foreign Students & Immigrants by ronald4lif(m): 2:01pm On Oct 07, 2013
areaboi: I've been a Nigerian student here for a year and the half now and i'm amongst the student who are not entitled to a PSW extension. I can tell you i regret coming to the UK to study, i swear down i feel like fucking my agent up. The issue is this, why would you pay 3 million for tuition fee when you're not going to benefit from the system after studying?. Whereas other students in Canada and US are given the opportunity. Moreover, you're placed on 20 hours per week, that's big time slavery as you'll find it hard to pay house rent and bills not to even talk of feeding and some other miscellaneous expenses. Infact, where's the job. I stayed for 5 months before i could manage to get a CLEANING JOB!!. Yes its as bad as that, WHO N COME TO KNOW men!!. Even getting a good related to your field is far more problematic, with all your certifications and qualifications experience matters here a lot. I can categorically tell you most Nigerian students on PSW are doing menial jobs just a few are given the professional jobs. UK is not like Nigeria where you can go and meet one aunty Tola to borrow you 50 pounds not to talk of give, here there's nothing like relatives. Relatives only come to the picture if you're doing well. Too many tori, its a bad experience.

Thanks for telling the truth as it is. I have been in the UK for more than a year and I must confess I regret ever coming here. I was better off in Nigeria than in the UK. The country is presently messed and every frustration is being vented on immigrants. People keep working themselves out and with absolutely nothing to show for it. They are clamping down on illegal immigrants as nomenclatures. My experience in the UK is a sad one and so do many people I know. I can't jot it down here for is too much. My advice to nigerians is to stay at home or if they must migrate they should go to other countries but must bear in mind that there's no where like home. Forget about the pictures of the european environment you see or the sweet stories. It is very rough out here. I have resolved to move back next year once I pass through my program. The streets of europe is not littered with gold. It is tough. Social life here is zero. A word should be enough for the wise.
Re: UK Ends Free NHS Care For Foreign Students & Immigrants by DisGuy: 2:10pm On Oct 07, 2013
you need to ask yourself sometimes

do people going for masters degree do any form of research before going to countries they intend to study in? I mean you are paying serious money, do you just get someone to fill a form for you to any country only to find out there's no sunshine, owmabe party for students like in nigeria?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: UK Ends Free NHS Care For Foreign Students & Immigrants by Iaz93: 2:34pm On Oct 07, 2013
See as people for UK dey complain. Lol! Sometimes, I thank God for naija!
Re: UK Ends Free NHS Care For Foreign Students & Immigrants by BankuTilapia: 3:33pm On Oct 07, 2013
It's their phucking country n deh can do wot da phuck deh want. grin
Re: UK Ends Free NHS Care For Foreign Students & Immigrants by Nobody: 4:14pm On Oct 07, 2013
Iaz93: See as people for UK dey complain. Lol! Sometimes, I thank God for naija!
Dont mind them so much for wanting to live in oyinbo country where you are not wanted, i wonder whos gonna fix Nigeria if we all run away.
Re: UK Ends Free NHS Care For Foreign Students & Immigrants by Mii1(f): 5:51pm On Oct 07, 2013
This is a terrible bill. Why should the responsibility for checking an individual's stay be on the heads of those in Primary Care? Surely that is the job of UK Border Agency? As a Manager in the NHS Primary Care sector I would not be impressed with all the extra work this will generate!!!
Re: UK Ends Free NHS Care For Foreign Students & Immigrants by EnairatofroUK: 5:55pm On Oct 07, 2013
glory2glory: After all the expensive fees they collect from foreign students which is 3x what their citizens pay, why should'nt the students have access to free healthcare when they need it. Na wa for this UK, everyday new law to fustrate people.

ok, shey school fees and medical fees na d same??

2 Likes

Re: UK Ends Free NHS Care For Foreign Students & Immigrants by glo12(f): 8:02pm On Oct 07, 2013
glory2glory: After all the expensive fees they collect from foreign students which is 3x what their citizens pay, why should'nt the students have access to free healthcare when they need it. Na wa for this UK, everyday new law to fustrate people.

Don't mind dem. Foreign students shld have access to free healthcare. Well, dey will be d one's to loss whn foriegn students start going to oda countries. After all, no be only Uk schs dey
Re: UK Ends Free NHS Care For Foreign Students & Immigrants by ryom(m): 8:27pm On Oct 07, 2013
glo12:

Don't mind dem. Foreign students shld have access to free healthcare. Well, dey will be d one's to loss whn foriegn students start going to oda countries. After all, no be only Uk schs dey

...and healthcare is free for students in those "other" countries?

2 Likes

Re: UK Ends Free NHS Care For Foreign Students & Immigrants by erico2k2(m): 9:14pm On Oct 07, 2013
ah
Re: UK Ends Free NHS Care For Foreign Students & Immigrants by erico2k2(m): 9:16pm On Oct 07, 2013
glo12:

Like waht countries?

1 Like

Re: UK Ends Free NHS Care For Foreign Students & Immigrants by erico2k2(m): 9:20pm On Oct 07, 2013
ronald4lif:

Thanks for telling the truth as it is. I have been in the UK for more than a year and I must confess I regret ever coming here. I was better off in Nigeria than in the UK. The country is presently messed and every frustration is being vented on immigrants. People keep working themselves out and with absolutely nothing to show for it. They are clamping down on illegal immigrants as nomenclatures. My experience in the UK is a sad one and so do many people I know. I can't jot it down here for is too much. My advice to nigerians is to stay at home or if they must migrate they should go to other countries but must bear in mind that there's no where like home. Forget about the pictures of the european environment you see or the sweet stories. It is very rough out here. I have resolved to move back next year once I pass through my program. The streets of europe is not littered with gold. It is tough. Social life here is zero. A word should be enough for the wise.
Bross when you went to the embassey in Nigeria,what did you say you where comming to do in the UK, Study right? why dont you stick to your studies and quit complaining, mayB if you had told the ECO that you want to work as well maybe he would have added that to your VISA, typical 9ja mentality, we always think we deserve the best just cos we are nigerians.Word on street is, the Uk are getting though, if you come here to study, get your degree and go back 9ja to practice what you learnt and make Nigeria great simple.
Re: UK Ends Free NHS Care For Foreign Students & Immigrants by lastpage: 9:27pm On Oct 07, 2013
Even if he likes, let Cameron enact law that will allow Police to "shoot immigrants on sight, no questions asked" ......

I dont blame them, it is our useless govt that l blame! We are the "guinea-pig" of the whole civilized world now, abi?

With all our resources, Nigerians have no business becoming medical tourist or illegal immigrants anywhere in the world.

No thanks to our clueless and corrupt govts officials, we are so deprived in our native Nigeria that even putting Nigerians in open-barbed wire prisons in U.K could be better than living in our dear country!

Sooooo Saaaad! I weep for my people. cry cry cry cry

Lastpage!
Re: UK Ends Free NHS Care For Foreign Students & Immigrants by Sagamite(m): 9:34pm On Oct 07, 2013
nrd_geek:
Separately, students from outside Europe will have to pay a £200 levy before they can access the NHS.

Sensible policy makers.

This law is really targeted mostly at people from poorer EU and third world countries coming in for better healthcare for free and overloading the system, so they made sure they only asked students for a token fee.
Re: UK Ends Free NHS Care For Foreign Students & Immigrants by Sagamite(m): 9:36pm On Oct 07, 2013
cap28: they are seriously turning up the heat on illegal immigrants (non european ones).

the handwriting is on the wall. how long before they turn on legal immigrants (non europeans ones)

person, look! shocked

There is a white man behind you! grin
Re: UK Ends Free NHS Care For Foreign Students & Immigrants by DisGuy: 9:51pm On Oct 07, 2013
Dis Guy: you need to ask yourself sometimes

[s]Done people research for masters degree do any form of research before going to countries they intend to study in? I mean you are paying for serious money, do you just someone to fill a form for you to any country only to find out theres no sunshine, owmabe party for students like in nigeria?
[/s]

dang!! i swear this software is editing my post during the day time!!! Na me type this one so? grin
Re: UK Ends Free NHS Care For Foreign Students & Immigrants by Nobody: 10:11pm On Oct 07, 2013
areaboi: I've been a Nigerian student here for a year and the half now and i'm amongst the student who are not entitled to a PSW extension. I can tell you i regret coming to the UK to study, i swear down i feel like fucking my agent up. The issue is this, why would you pay 3 million for tuition fee when you're not going to benefit from the system after studying?. Whereas other students in Canada and US are given the opportunity. Moreover, you're placed on 20 hours per week, that's big time slavery as you'll find it hard to pay house rent and bills not to even talk of feeding and some other miscellaneous expenses. Infact, where's the job. I stayed for 5 months before i could manage to get a CLEANING JOB!!. Yes its as bad as that, WHO N COME TO KNOW men!!. Even getting a good related to your field is far more problematic, with all your certifications and qualifications experience matters here a lot. I can categorically tell you most Nigerian students on PSW are doing menial jobs just a few are given the professional jobs. UK is not like Nigeria where you can go and meet one aunty Tola to borrow you 50 pounds not to talk of give, here there's nothing like relatives. Relatives only come to the picture if you're doing well. Too many tori, its a bad experience.

On point!!!! That's the stark naked truth!!! God bless your hustle.
Re: UK Ends Free NHS Care For Foreign Students & Immigrants by Nobody: 10:31pm On Oct 07, 2013
Can God just kill all this greedy, wicked, selfish, devilish politicians in Nigeria, because sadly there is no hope for the better, unless this evil system is completely flushed out!!!!
Re: UK Ends Free NHS Care For Foreign Students & Immigrants by ThaProphet(m): 11:07pm On Oct 07, 2013
Dis Guy:

dang!! i swear this software is editing my post during the day time!!! Na me type this one so? grin

lmfao! grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Ukraine Vs Russia: Be Responsible For Your Safety - FG Tells Citizens / Students Returning From School Involved In Accident In Enugu,Many Injured(Pics) / #181LagosRoads: List Of Lagos Roads That Are Yet To Be Constructed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.