Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,286 members, 7,807,969 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:27 AM

UK Ends Free NHS Care For Foreign Students & Immigrants - Travel (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / UK Ends Free NHS Care For Foreign Students & Immigrants (18469 Views)

Foreigners To Be Charged To Access UK's NHS / UK Crackdown On Fake Foreign Students / No More Free Nhs For “foreigners” In Britain, This Includes “indefinite Leave To (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: UK Ends Free NHS Care For Foreign Students & Immigrants by toshmann(m): 3:53am On Oct 08, 2013
funnyx:

Rubbish! International students are not UK citizens or permanent resident neither is their parents so what rights do they have to receive free health care?
There is nothing wrong with this proposal and in fact it's long overdue otherwise the NHS will no longer be sustainable.
I believe both visitors and international students should be made to buy their own health insurance but students should get a refund of their NI contribution simples.

rubbish!!!!
it's public healthcare for public use, it was not established for UK citizens alone, but UK residents. residents are people who live there and contribute to the society. not tourists or those on a short course or international conference/game/etc . . . .

it's not like elections where citizens are deciding their rulers. it is public service funded by public money which is contributed to by ALL the residents of the country (not only citizens) including foreign students, henceforth they are entitled to it

however,i accept that they have a right to pass whatever law they want to pass in their country, i'm just saying there is justification for foreign students to use any public service funded by public cash.
Re: UK Ends Free NHS Care For Foreign Students & Immigrants by funnyx(m): 7:35am On Oct 08, 2013
toshmann:

rubbish!!!!
it's public healthcare for public use, it was not established for UK citizens alone, but UK residents. residents are people who live there and contribute to the society. not tourists or those on a short course or international conference/game/etc . . . .

it's not like elections where citizens are deciding their rulers. it is public service funded by public money which is contributed to by ALL the residents of the country (not only citizens) including foreign students, henceforth they are entitled to it

however,i accept that they have a right to pass whatever law they want to pass in their country, i'm just saying there is justification for foreign students to use any public service funded by public cash.

There is a saying in Yoruba which goes: 'Ti eru ba pe nile epe alajobi ni yio ma se' which translates : once a slave has stayed too long with the family he'll start swearing/taking oath with the family deity..
Public services ko public toilet ni grin grin
It becomes public services when there's emergency only not for you to have fertility treatment or have babies like no ttomorrow.
The definition of public services as well as residents is varies from country to country, that's why in countries like the USA and even Ireland you pay to see a doctor if you have no insurance. So being a public service doesn't mean it should be free, buses are public services too but try and get into one without paying and see what happens.
Many International students take more than they contribute to NHS especially those that have babies, long term illness like HBP or diabetes and many that receives fertility treatment. So to be fair let them be exempted from NI contribution which is usually used to fund the NHS while they buy their own health insurance shikena!
Re: UK Ends Free NHS Care For Foreign Students & Immigrants by Nobody: 8:04am On Oct 08, 2013
Thank God for free oxygen

1 Like

Re: UK Ends Free NHS Care For Foreign Students & Immigrants by ModestSam(m): 12:14pm On Oct 08, 2013
Some people just posting rubbish, 'cos they have never experienced 'the life'.
My advice is this, once you complete your course of study and can't get a good professional job, come back to Naija. That's why it's good to do a good course and not just any course just to have a degree, that only works for the whites.
I came back to naija 2 years after my degree when I got fed up with wasting my life doing low-skilled jobs, (I was working as a door supervisor, in clubs, Wembley stadium for fooball matches and concerts, and The O2 during its construction), lived in Vauxhall SW8, and was making above £2,000 in some months, but I looked at the long term prospect, and career progression, and if I would be proud to be doing that for the next 10 years.
I'm back in Naija (since Feb 2009) and living the life I could only imagine in the UK, and I'm even regretting not coming back earlier, and planning to go visiting the UK in December, for a week.
Nothing can tempt me back to live and work in the UK, unless a very high paying job, as for further studies, going to the states next year for my Masters.

P.S.: I'm not related to or know any politician, and I'm where I am right now due to sheer hard work, and my good university grades gave a jump start, no yahooyahoo, or some illegal runz.

1 Like

Re: UK Ends Free NHS Care For Foreign Students & Immigrants by toshmann(m): 1:32pm On Oct 08, 2013
funnyx:

There is a saying in Yoruba which goes: 'Ti eru ba pe nile epe alajobi ni yio ma se' which translates : once a slave has stayed too long with the family he'll start swearing/taking oath with the family deity..
Public services ko public toilet ni grin grin
It becomes public services when there's emergency only not for you to have fertility treatment or have babies like no ttomorrow.
The definition of public services as well as residents is varies from country to country, that's why in countries like the USA and even Ireland you pay to see a doctor if you have no insurance. So being a public service doesn't mean it should be free, buses are public services too but try and get into one without paying and see what happens.
Many International students take more than they contribute to NHS especially those that have babies, long term illness like HBP or diabetes and many that receives fertility treatment. So to be fair let them be exempted from NI contribution which is usually used to fund the NHS while they buy their own health insurance shikena!

You are comparing apples to oranges my friend. In the US healthcare is NOT public service but private enterprise. In the UK it is public service, and public service is funded by public money. Of which those students contribute.

If they don't want the students to participate in NHS then the students should be exempted from all sorts of public financial contribution to the system.

My argument is that they DO NOT have the moral right to do what they are doing. However, the DO have the legal rights to pass whatever law they want to pass to benefit their citizens.

I cannot emphasize this enough, THE UK IS BROKE!!!!! Don't let the premiership fool you, my people, there's really no point going to the UK to study. I hear Ghana has good schools too ( such a shame we now look up to Ghana).

Our biggest headache? Our own leaders.
Re: UK Ends Free NHS Care For Foreign Students & Immigrants by funnyx(m): 1:59pm On Oct 08, 2013
toshmann:

You are comparing apples to oranges my friend. In the US healthcare is NOT public service but private enterprise. In the UK it is public service, and public service is funded by public money. Of which those students contribute.

If they don't want the students to participate in NHS then the students should be exempted from all sorts of public financial contribution to the system.

My argument is that they DO NOT have the moral right to do what they are doing. However, the DO have the legal rights to pass whatever law they want to pass to benefit their citizens.

I cannot emphasize this enough, THE UK IS BROKE!!!!! Don't let the premiership fool you, my people, there's really no point going to the UK to study. I hear Ghana has good schools too ( such a shame we now look up to Ghana).

My toshman, we are getting there grin grin we're saying almost the same thing except few points that I disagree with which are:
1. The UK have moral rights to prevent students and migrants from having access to the NHS, the term moral right is subjective.
2. Students contribute very little firstly, they don't pay council tax, secondly they pay very little direct tax or nothing at all if they work 20 hours a week. Compare that to a Briton who has worked from the age of 16 or a permanent resident who has worked full time for 5 years.

The UK being broke is an open secret but so also is the USA and many other countries so being broke is nothing new, there are times of surplus and there are times of deficit.
What many Nigerians should realise is that coming to the UK to study is not for the poor, gone are the days when you can study and hustle at the same time.
Re: UK Ends Free NHS Care For Foreign Students & Immigrants by cap28: 2:13pm On Oct 08, 2013
pappilo:

You are chatting rubbish. I am an immigrant (legal). I have had an ambulance come out to me about 4 times and had 2 children on the NHS. All completely free. I pay my taxes and I am entitled to it. My sister came over, had her children here and paid full price because she wasnt entitled to a free service. It costs money to run the NHS and if you havent contributed into it you have no righy to draw from it. Hold your leaders accountable. They all run here to treat minor ailments with your money, Tinunbu, PEJ, Sullivan Chime, Yar Adua, Suntai, Atiku to name a few.

Bear in mind, the NHS will take care of anybody that presents himself at a hospital, illegal or not. They will only try to recover costs after you've been discharged. I believe the current successful recovery rate is under 5%. Now compare this with Nigeria where an accident victim fast losing blood MUST pay a registration fee and deposit before being attended to.

Access to the NHS is not free - your taxes pay for it.

Also its currently being privatised by the Tories - very soon everyone will have to pay for it each time they use it.
Re: UK Ends Free NHS Care For Foreign Students & Immigrants by toshmann(m): 2:29pm On Oct 08, 2013
funnyx:

My toshman, we are getting there grin grin we're saying almost the same thing except few points that I disagree with which are:
1. The UK have moral rights to prevent students and migrants from having access to the NHS, the term moral right is subjective.

I agree, "moral right" is subjective. We can write 20 books with 50 volumes each on morality.

2. Students contribute very little firstly, they don't pay council tax, secondly they pay very little direct tax or nothing at all if they work 20 hours a week. Compare that to a Briton who has worked from the age of 16 or a permanent resident who has worked full time for 5 years.

Also, students use very little of NHS!
Compare that to the Briton who has used it from the time his father went for s3xual health counselling to fertility clinic to "slamming" his mother to his mothers maternity clinic to his birth all the way to when he's old.
Got that smiley

And public service is not run on who used it more. Public service is public service.

The UK being broke is an open secret but so also is the USA and many other countries so being broke is nothing new, there are times of surplus and there are times of deficit.
What many Nigerians should realise is that coming to the UK to study is not for the poor, gone are the days when you can study and hustle at the same time.
I guess we are singing the same song here.
Re: UK Ends Free NHS Care For Foreign Students & Immigrants by funnyx(m): 3:41pm On Oct 08, 2013
toshmann:
I agree, "moral right" is subjective. We can write 20 books with 50 volumes each on morality.

Also, students use very little of NHS!
Compare that to the Briton who has used it from the time his father went for s3xual health counselling to fertility clinic to "slamming" his mother to his mothers maternity clinic to his birth all the way to when he's old.
Got that smiley

And public service is not run on who used it more. Public service is public service.

I guess we are singing the same song here.

Bro, students use the NHS like mad, without blinking I can name up to 10 students that I know and have had at least 2 babies in the UK, do you think baby delivery is that cheap?
What about many of them that receive fertility treatment and prescription at subsidised rate?
My take is since the NHS is largely funded by our NI contribution, international students should not be made to pay NI especially if they'll have to pay to use the NHS neither would they receive the UK pension. If after implementing this policy they continue to take NI from them then to me that is daylight robbery. They can now use their savings to buy private health insurance simples.

1 Like

Re: UK Ends Free NHS Care For Foreign Students & Immigrants by toshmann(m): 4:34pm On Oct 08, 2013
funnyx:

Bro, students use the NHS like mad, without blinking I can name up to 10 students that I know and have had at least 2 babies in the UK, do you think baby delivery is that cheap?
What about many of them that receive fertility treatment and prescription at subsidised rate?
My take is since the NHS is largely funded by our NI contribution, international students should not be made to pay NI especially if they'll have to pay to use the NHS neither would they receive the UK pension. If after implementing this policy they continue to take NI from them then to me that is daylight robbery. They can now use their savings to buy private health insurance simples.

for every foreign student that has had a child in the UK, 100,000 UK citizens have had a baby. . .
always see the big picture bro, . . . . . it's called statistic wink

what is the percentage population of foreign students in the UK? remember, if you know 10 students with 2 kids, and may be 100 students with one kid, there are at least >2,000 students without kids and without health issues who are contributing to the public fund, some are doing masters degre but work as cleaners and construction workers which are high risk jobs that will lead to health breakdown but they aint sick yet. . . . .

always see the statistical big picture and DONT follow the media in the western world. . . . they lead you into their thoughts and make you think the way they do. . . . they are experts, they've done this for nearly a century with amazing success. . . their greatest achievement. . . . making us believe that their country/race/culture is better than ours.
Re: UK Ends Free NHS Care For Foreign Students & Immigrants by mystikal(m): 4:58pm On Oct 08, 2013
glory2glory: After all the expensive fees they collect from foreign students which is 3x what their citizens pay, why should'nt the students have access to free healthcare when they need it. Na wa for this UK, everyday new law to fustrate people.

if foreign students can afford over 10k quid as fees, then the 250 quid shdnt be a biggie.
Re: UK Ends Free NHS Care For Foreign Students & Immigrants by erico2k2(m): 8:59pm On Oct 10, 2013
toshmann:

And from where did you hear this that unis are funded by public monies? why do people just assume they know it all
Now ask yourself this question, why do the the average UK gradguate owe minimum of 18K after Uni?,if the Uni was funded by the public then it would be free, stop assuming
Re: UK Ends Free NHS Care For Foreign Students & Immigrants by erico2k2(m): 9:02pm On Oct 10, 2013
toshmann:

for every foreign student that has had a child in the UK, 100,000 UK citizens have had a baby. . .
always see the big picture bro, . . . . . it's called statistic wink

what is the percentage population of foreign students in the UK? remember, if you know 10 students with 2 kids, and may be 100 students with one kid, there are at least >2,000 students without kids and without health issues who are contributing to the public fund, some are doing masters degre but work as cleaners and construction workers which are high risk jobs that will lead to health breakdown but they aint sick yet. . . . .

always see the statistical big picture and DONT follow the media in the western world. . . . they lead you into their thoughts and make you think the way they do. . . . they are experts, they've done this for nearly a century with amazing success. . . their greatest achievement. . . . making us believe that their country/race/culture is better than ours.
Im assuming you live in the USA, just check this out look at what OBAMA health care reforms is generating in the USA, country is shot down, the Uk had been doing this for decades, it aint cheap, the USA will soon learn.
Re: UK Ends Free NHS Care For Foreign Students & Immigrants by toshmann(m): 4:33am On Oct 11, 2013
erico2k2:
And from where did you hear this that unis are funded by public monies? why do people just assume they know it all
Now ask yourself this question, why do the the average UK gradguate owe minimum of 18K after Uni?,if the Uni was funded by the public then it would be free, stop assuming

i'm seriously searching for where i said the universities are funded by public monies
Re: UK Ends Free NHS Care For Foreign Students & Immigrants by toshmann(m): 4:35am On Oct 11, 2013
erico2k2:
Im assuming you live in the USA, just check this out look at what OBAMA health care reforms is generating in the USA, country is shot down, the Uk had been doing this for decades, it aint cheap, the USA will soon learn.

1. the US is not "shot down" (shut down undecided )
2. nothing good is cheap cool
3. if you think healthcare is expensive try otherwise. . . . . average life span in the UK is about 70-78yrs
average lifespan in nigeria 45-55yrs
Re: UK Ends Free NHS Care For Foreign Students & Immigrants by tpia5: 4:50pm On Oct 11, 2013
havent we been discussing this stuff since last year?

i seem to remember a thread saying the UK is clamping down on immigration.

or was it two years ago.

but, they should pity people sha, ask the Nigerian govt to improve standards and infrastructure so people wont be afraid to return home.

for those who want to stay in Britain, work something out for them perhaps.
Re: UK Ends Free NHS Care For Foreign Students & Immigrants by erico2k2(m): 10:18pm On Oct 15, 2013
toshmann:

1. the US is not "shot down" (shut down undecided )
2. nothing good is cheap cool
3. if you think healthcare is expensive try otherwise. . . . . average life span in the UK is about 70-78yrs
average lifespan in nigeria 45-55yrs

And all them things you wrote up there means?
and what has it got to do with anything from the last time I checked, I live in the UK?? and thanks loads for the spelling correction, one cant be bothered toomuch with my andriod phone when replying on here on the move.
Re: UK Ends Free NHS Care For Foreign Students & Immigrants by Nobody: 1:17pm On Jun 27, 2015
ronald4lif:

Thanks for telling the truth as it is. I have been in the UK for more than a year and I must confess I regret ever coming here. I was better off in Nigeria than in the UK. The country is presently messed and every frustration is being vented on immigrants. People keep working themselves out and with absolutely nothing to show for it. They are clamping down on illegal immigrants as nomenclatures. My experience in the UK is a sad one and so do many people I know. I can't jot it down here for is too much. My advice to nigerians is to stay at home or if they must migrate they should go to other countries but must bear in mind that there's no where like home. Forget about the pictures of the european environment you see or the sweet stories. It is very rough out here. I have resolved to move back next year once I pass through my program. The streets of europe is not littered with gold. It is tough. Social life here is zero. A word should be enough for the wise.
You never still come back o grin grin
This post was 2013 and we're in 2015. grin

3 Likes

Re: UK Ends Free NHS Care For Foreign Students & Immigrants by ronald4lif(m): 1:21pm On Jun 27, 2015
AgapeCharis:

Yeye boy. So na to dey dig people old post you dey. After nneka, me and who be next?. undecided
Re: UK Ends Free NHS Care For Foreign Students & Immigrants by Nobody: 1:27pm On Jun 27, 2015
ronald4lif:

Yeye boy. So na to dey dig people old post you dey. After nneka, me and who be next?. undecided
grin grin grin
I'm just having fun. cool
Re: UK Ends Free NHS Care For Foreign Students & Immigrants by justwise(m): 9:41am On Jun 28, 2015
DisGuy:

I think students should be exempted from the proposal

I think visitors should be made to buy health insurance though just like other European countries

I have to agree with you, foreign students should have been exempted from it.

Though £150 a year is nothing compare to what foreign students pay monthly in other EU countries.
Re: UK Ends Free NHS Care For Foreign Students & Immigrants by justwise(m): 9:42am On Jun 28, 2015
ronald4lif:

Bro don't tell me you are still in the UK?

1 Like

Re: UK Ends Free NHS Care For Foreign Students & Immigrants by ronald4lif(m): 3:58pm On Jun 28, 2015
justwise:

Bro don't tell me you are still in the UK?

Lol! You also want to hook that on me?. That post stemmed from the situation I was conditioned to patterning the Magaret Thatcher look alike Theresa May of UKBA who attempted to frustrate in regularising my status then which later turn out successful at the tribunal. Sh1t do happens but that doesn't mean I'd advice anyone who intend to migrate to Britain permantly to do so because the immigration laws are more stringent. It's a no no for illegal residents, which was what propelled my posture at that period. The guy who dug that comment out is a mischief maker.
Re: UK Ends Free NHS Care For Foreign Students & Immigrants by tpiander: 8:22pm On Jun 28, 2015
AgapeCharis:

how did you know however?

from his posts?
Re: UK Ends Free NHS Care For Foreign Students & Immigrants by erico2k2(m): 11:32pm On Aug 20, 2015
ronald4lif:

Lol! You also want to hook that on me?. That post stemmed from the situation I was conditioned to patterning the Magaret Thatcher look alike Theresa May of UKBA who attempted to frustrate in regularising my status then which later turn out successful at the tribunal. Sh1t do happens but that doesn't mean I'd advice anyone who intend to migrate to Britain permantly to do so because the immigration laws are more stringent. It's a no no for illegal residents, which was what propelled my posture at that period. The guy who dug that comment out is a mischief maker.
nah Lie, I must write to the Home office, U must go back to 9ja ,at least there is a new presido in town grin grin grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Dedicated BRT Lanes: Is It Now Free For All? / #181LagosRoads: List Of Lagos Roads That Are Yet To Be Constructed / Eid-el-fitr: Lagos To Osogbo Free Train: Departure Time, Location, Other Detai

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 107
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.