Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,330 members, 7,780,863 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 01:08 AM

Naturalistic Pantheism And Atheism - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Naturalistic Pantheism And Atheism (2400 Views)

Society And Atheism / The Sum Of All Arguments on Theism and Atheism - 2013 / Are There Similaries Between Christianity And Atheism? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Naturalistic Pantheism And Atheism by FOLYKAZE(m): 10:25am On Oct 07, 2013
Naturalistic pantheism (scientific pantheism) is a philosophical viewpoint and/or spiritual path which identifies the Universe with god. The word “god”, however, is used as a metaphor for the beauty of nature or for nature itself, pointing out that it’s worthy of reverence. It’s not used to denote a real, transcendent being, such as the christian God.

Richard Dawkins, wrote in his book that pantheism is 'sexed-up' atheism. The naturalistic pantheists, generally avoid using the word "god" to describe the feelings about the Universe and its laws. However, when they do, they use it as a mere metaphor to represent the vastness of our Home. The position is very clear: respect for Nature and all living things, respect for science and reason, and an additional of reverence and admiration for the Universe.

Today, a lot of atheists are adopting a similar position, which can be very visible at some scales. However, I've read some atheists saying that they prefer to call themselves atheists because it's easier for somebody to know their position, since pantheism is still being clarified and not everybody knows exactly what how the philosophy of it works.

1 - Atheism simply means disbelief in the existence of God/gods. The concept of God here is problematic that is why it was addressed here. Defining atheism, you can't go beyond 'disbelief in existence of God', but atheists nowadays are embracing naturalistic-pantheist positions, such as respect for reason, admiration for Nature as revealed by our science, humanism and etc.

2 - Reverence for the Universe is an integral part of the pantheist philosophy, which is the clear evidence that pantheism goes BEYOND atheism (as I said, it's a position regarding only the existence of gods, but it has adopted a new posture).

But where is the evidence?

The book of Dr. Dawkins can be one. The Magic Of Reality approaches reality in a very profound way. If you've never read that book, I recommend you to do. One quote I can have as an example is: “The truth is more magical - in the best and most exciting sense of the word - than any myth or made-up mystery or miracle. Science has its own magic: the magic of reality.”

And another one is: “bad things, like good things don't happen any more often than they ought to by chance. the universe has no mind, no feelings, and no personality, so it doesn't do things in order to either hurt or please you. bad things happen because things happen.”
“every atom in your body came from a star that exploded. and, the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. it really is the most poetic thing i know about physics: you are all stardust.” - Lawrence Krauss

More pantheist quotes from self-declared atheists: “Is this Tree of Life a God one could worship? Pray to? Fear? Probably not. But it did make the ivy twine and the sky so blue, so perhaps the song I love tells a truth after all. The Tree of Life is neither perfect nor infinite in space or time, but it is actual, and if it is not Anselm's "Being greater than which nothing can be conceived," it is surely a being that is greater than anything any of us will ever conceive of in detail worthy of its detail. Is something sacred? Yes, say I with Nietzsche. I could not pray to it, but I can stand in affirmation of its magnificence. This world is sacred.”
― Daniel C. Dennett

" Do you believe in God?
HAWKING: Yes, I do, if by God you mean the embodiment of the laws that govern the universe."
- Stephen Hawking

My point is: most of the atheists currently seem to show a sense of admiration for the Universe revealed by our science. Some of them are integrated in humanist principles and even naturalistic ones. And, they share a huge amount of respect for evidence and reason. So what differentiates it from pure atheism then? The main difference is that naturalistic pantheism has an object of worship. Nature is seen as something sacred and awe inspiring by itself, without the need for a supernatural world. Just like atheists, naturalistic pantheists respect the scientific method, critical thinking, logic and philosophy and often dislike ideas such as pseudoscience, esotericism and alternative medicine. This can be seen as an advantage of naturalistic pantheism: it offers the comfort, community and answers that were usually attributed to religion, but at the same time – it stays true to science.
This draws back to Pagan and especially ancient African belief....African ancestors are mostly Naturalist Pantheist.

Do you think the term “naturalistic pantheism” is justified? What are your thoughts on atheism and naturalistic pantheism? Do you agree Naturalistic pantheism is the same as spiritual atheism?
Re: Naturalistic Pantheism And Atheism by Nobody: 2:01pm On Oct 07, 2013
Guy....guy....guy

Look, the mysteries of the universe are enchanting and are also a very solid case for atheist spirituality.

Dawkins even said that there is much spirituality in science. This is because of the wonder of science; any advanced/new technology or discovery is like magic.

How do you think the first man on the moon felt when he stepped on the moon's surface for the first time? How do you feel when you see a meteor? What are your thoughts when you see our galaxies and all the heavenly bodies?

The wonder, the awe at the sheer size of the universe and the huge planetary bodies at play is beyond words.

Religion and science both ask the most interesting question human beings face- IS THERE SOMETHING OUT THERE?

The real spirituality is in science because it does the work to find out the answers while religion just claims that the answers prove that religion is true.
Re: Naturalistic Pantheism And Atheism by FOLYKAZE(m): 2:10pm On Oct 07, 2013
Logicboy03: Guy....guy....guy

Look, the mysteries of the universe are enchanting and are also a very solid case for atheist spirituality.

Dawkins even said that there is much spirituality in science. This is because of the wonder of science; any advanced/new technology or discovery is like magic.

How do you think the first man on the moon felt when he stepped on the moon's surface for the first time? How do you feel when you see a meteor? What are your thoughts when you see our galaxies and all the heavenly bodies?

The wonder, the awe at the sheer size of the universe and the huge planetary bodies at play is beyond words.

Religion and science both ask the most interesting question human beings face- IS THERE SOMETHING OUT THERE?

The real spirituality is in science because it does the work to find out the answers while religion just claims that the answers prove that religion is true.

The real logicboy is on the computer. I can see your atheism is not just hatred for the word 'God'.

Naturalistic pantheism and pagan is more alike. That is where im driving my whole shot at.

Do you think naturalistic pantheism is the same thing as spiritual atheism?
Re: Naturalistic Pantheism And Atheism by Nobody: 2:21pm On Oct 07, 2013
FOLYKAZE:

The real logicboy is on the computer. I can see your atheism is not just hatred for the word 'God'.

Naturalistic pantheism and pagan is more alike. That is where im driving my whole shot at.

Do you think naturalistic pantheism is the same thing as spiritual atheism?

Yes....what is the difference between a naturalistic pantheist and a spiritual atheist? not much....they both see the universe as some spiritual energy....
Re: Naturalistic Pantheism And Atheism by FOLYKAZE(m): 2:30pm On Oct 07, 2013
Logicboy03:

Yes....what is the difference between a naturalistic pantheist and a spiritual atheist? not much....they both see the universe as some spiritual energy....

If im going to shoot in.....do you realise how intelligent your ancestors are? If you are very philosophical, you will realise that there are form of sciences in there stories and spirituality.

Unlike those fanatics atheist who insulted his ancestors..... Why kicking against pagan?

3 Likes

Re: Naturalistic Pantheism And Atheism by Nobody: 2:36pm On Oct 07, 2013
FOLYKAZE:

If im going to shoot in.....do you realise how intelligent your ancestors are? If you are very philosophical, you will realise that there are form of sciences in there stories and spirituality.

Unlike those fanatics atheist who insulted his ancestors..... Why kicking against pagan?

Look, our ancestors were barbaric to an extent but then, they had their own little civilizations with their pagan religions. Any Nigerian atheist that praises Asian religions like hinduism and buddhism then makes fun of African traditional religion is a fool. Taking foriegn religion over his own local one in order to look cool and educated
Re: Naturalistic Pantheism And Atheism by FOLYKAZE(m): 2:48pm On Oct 07, 2013
Logicboy03:

Look, our ancestors were barbaric to an extent but then, they had their own little civilizations with their pagan religions. Any Nigerian atheist that praises Asian religions like hinduism and buddhism then makes fun of African traditional religion is a fool. Taking foriegn religion over his own local one in order to look cool and educated

the bold picture AmanFromMars. Lol.

You sounding like my African American friend. She made me take a U-turn back to African spirituality.

There is this saying 'fact evolve out of fable'....science is the collection, improvement and development of ancient knowledge. What we are inventing today are models of ancient time.

I believe African revolution and civilization is hidden in African spirituality. We can develop our world without relying on western and eastern civilization. The change come when we make a shift....we shift come when we believe in ourselves.
Re: Naturalistic Pantheism And Atheism by PAGAN9JA(m): 5:45pm On Oct 07, 2013
Logicboy03:

All you said is fine, but the bolded doesn't make any sense.
Re: Naturalistic Pantheism And Atheism by FOLYKAZE(m): 5:51pm On Oct 07, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

All you said is fine, but the bolded doesn't make any sense.

So you want some folks to embrace Asian spirituality and curse African spirituality? Chai.....this hausa guy don dey collect bribe
Re: Naturalistic Pantheism And Atheism by PAGAN9JA(m): 5:57pm On Oct 07, 2013
FOLYKAZE:

So you want some folks to embrace Asian spirituality and curse African spirituality? Chai.....this hausa guy don dey collect bribe

what the heck? No.

I meant to say Hinduism and Buddhism don't make fun of African religions. They were not even aware of its existence.
Re: Naturalistic Pantheism And Atheism by Nobody: 6:09pm On Oct 07, 2013
FOLYKAZE:

the bold picture AmanFromMars. Lol.

You sounding like my African American friend. She made me take a U-turn back to African spirituality.

There is this saying 'fact evolve out of fable'....science is the collection, improvement and development of ancient knowledge. What we are inventing today are models of ancient time.

I believe African revolution and civilization is hidden in African spirituality. We can develop our world without relying on western and eastern civilization. The change come when we make a shift....we shift come when we believe in ourselves.

Pls show me evidence that I insulted my ancestors in any of my posts. undecided

Or are you going to be like some other dolt who loves to peddle unsubstantiated lies about my moniker?
Re: Naturalistic Pantheism And Atheism by Omexonomy: 6:41pm On Oct 07, 2013
If by chance i decided to drop christianity then i will have no choice than to change to the religion of my ancestors.
Atheist are confuse people.
Re: Naturalistic Pantheism And Atheism by FOLYKAZE(m): 6:52pm On Oct 07, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

what the heck? No.

I meant to say Hinduism and Buddhism don't make fun of African religions. They were not even aware of its existence.

He didn't say Hindi or buddhist are making fun of African religion. He said those African praising Hinduism and buddhism to make fun of African spirituality are fools
Re: Naturalistic Pantheism And Atheism by PAGAN9JA(m): 6:53pm On Oct 07, 2013
FOLYKAZE:

He didn't say Hindi or buddhist are making fun of African religion. He said those African praising Hinduism and buddhism to make fun of African spirituality are fools

oh he said "then" not "that".

sorry I misunderstood.
Re: Naturalistic Pantheism And Atheism by FOLYKAZE(m): 6:54pm On Oct 07, 2013
aManFromMars:

Pls show me evidence that I insulted my ancestors in any of my posts. undecided

Or are you going to be like some other dolt who loves to peddle unsubstantiated lies about my moniker?

Oga deal with the OP.

You cant deny you praise hinduism and buddhism. You cant deny you said Igbo spirituality is folklore and must be treated as folklore where I added that your ancestors were dumb and you didn't refute it.

Deal with topic or go cry elsewhere
Re: Naturalistic Pantheism And Atheism by FOLYKAZE(m): 6:56pm On Oct 07, 2013
Omexonomy: If by chance i decided to drop christianity then i will have no choice than to change to the religion of my ancestors.
Atheist are confuse people.

You are the confused person on earth. You are following a dead jewish and trashing your ancestors. Lost soul
Re: Naturalistic Pantheism And Atheism by Nobody: 6:59pm On Oct 07, 2013
FOLYKAZE:

Oga deal with the OP.

You cant deny you praise hinduism and buddhism. You cant deny you said Igbo spirituality is folklore and must be treated as folklore where I added that your ancestors were dumb and you didn't refute it.

Deal with topic or go cry elsewhere
Where did you get educated? In a prison cell? Do you know what folklore means?

@second bold: Just speechless. You really are a big fool and a waste of time. That's your evidence that I called my ancestors dumb? That's the evidence of the falsehood you've been repeating these past few days? smiley smiley

Maybe Ifa is making you dumb, really dumb.
Re: Naturalistic Pantheism And Atheism by FOLYKAZE(m): 7:08pm On Oct 07, 2013
aManFromMars:
Where did you get educated? In a prison cell? Do you know what folklore means?

@second bold: Just speechless. You really are a big fool and a waste of time. That's your evidence that I called my ancestors dumb? That's the evidence of the falsehood you've been repeating these past few days? smiley smiley

Maybe Ifa is making you dumb, really dumb.

Mubcho...we know your ancestors are full of folklore and you taking their spirituality as folklore.

deal with topic.....
Re: Naturalistic Pantheism And Atheism by Nobody: 7:11pm On Oct 07, 2013
FOLYKAZE:

Mubcho...we know your ancestors are full of folklore and you taking their spirituality as folklore.

deal with topic.....

Or you can stop being silly and go get a refund from your English teacher. Liar.
Re: Naturalistic Pantheism And Atheism by FOLYKAZE(m): 7:14pm On Oct 07, 2013
aManFromMars:

Or you can stop being silly and go get a refund from your English teacher. Liar.

Deal with topic Oga.
Re: Naturalistic Pantheism And Atheism by Nobody: 7:15pm On Oct 07, 2013
FOLYKAZE:

Deal with topic Oga.
Why should I have any form of discourse with an unrepentant liar? smiley
Re: Naturalistic Pantheism And Atheism by Nobody: 7:18pm On Oct 07, 2013
aManFromMars:

Wow, and we should deal with an unrepentant judas? grin
Re: Naturalistic Pantheism And Atheism by FOLYKAZE(m): 7:19pm On Oct 07, 2013
aManFromMars:

Chai....

I will fish your insult on your ancestors out. Just deal with topic
Re: Naturalistic Pantheism And Atheism by Nobody: 7:20pm On Oct 07, 2013
FOLYKAZE:

Chai....

I will fish your insult on your ancestors out. Just deal with topic
Waiting, bro.
Re: Naturalistic Pantheism And Atheism by FOLYKAZE(m): 7:35pm On Oct 07, 2013
aManFromMars:
Waiting, bro.

aManFromMars:

Chi is whatever you want it to be. Been reading up on Odinani for a long time, and at first the similarities between Esu of Ifa and Ekwensu of Ifa was striking.

That being said, I still recognise it for what is -folklore, though it does strike some kind of resonance with me as it's a part of my ancestry. You, on the other hand, believe IFA has a lot to offer. No wahala. I have no qualms with that.

FOLYKAZE:

Come out with reasonable discussion. I dont believe in Ifa....i know it. Ode.

Whatever is folklore to you in your tradition will be folklore and will go extinct like folklore.

Ifa is not folklore, it body of knowledge. What is in Ifa is coded and symbolic. I dont curse the dark, I light the candle in it.

Your own ancestors were dumb.....they cant reason.....live with that.
Re: Naturalistic Pantheism And Atheism by Nobody: 7:57pm On Oct 07, 2013
Abeg, @Folly,

- What does folklore mean?
- How did I call my ancestors dumb in that statement? In fact, your 'evidence' proves that you were the one that accused my ancestors of being dumb. You expect me to refute that? cry

Don't worry, I'm sure I'm not gonna get any sort of reasonable reply or an admission that you were wrong. Deal with your stupidity and confusion yourself.

All the best. smiley
Re: Naturalistic Pantheism And Atheism by FOLYKAZE(m): 10:55pm On Oct 07, 2013
aManFromMars: Abeg, @Folly,

- What does folklore mean?
- How did I call my ancestors dumb in that statement? In fact, your 'evidence' proves that you were the one that accused my ancestors of being dumb. You expect me to refute that? cry

Don't worry, I'm sure I'm not gonna get any sort of reasonable reply or an admission that you were wrong. Deal with your stupidity and confusion yourself.

All the best. smiley

Chi belong to Igbo and not Hausa.

It part of your ancestry heritage.

You called what come from your ancestors Folklore.

Your ancestors cant make fact but fable.

Therefore they are dumb. Cheers

(1) (Reply)

Do U Agree With This? PASTOR / Ramadan Fasting Is Of Pagan Origin! / Where Do I Redeem My Vow

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.