Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,972 members, 7,806,813 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 01:47 AM

Ban On Importation Of Tokunbo Cars: What You Should Know - Car Talk (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Ban On Importation Of Tokunbo Cars: What You Should Know (31483 Views)

New Year Gift From Govt : Tokunbo Cars To Cost More From January 1 / New Policy On Importation Of Tokunbo Cars: Big News Page / FG To Phase Out Tokunbo Cars (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ban On Importation Of Tokunbo Cars: What You Should Know by jpphilips(m): 2:28pm On Oct 08, 2013
Carsonv: I thought someone might still keep in perspective the economic reason for the new regulationn

The Winners as pointed out by the op would actually be winners if the govt doesn't fortify our Cotonou borders. Asides that, it's a good thing for our economy.

We already have some assemblies in the country. And for those troubled by the fact that we'll be driving cars that are still budding in technology lyk IVM, remember Japan's technology didn't just blossom. After WW2, they started making small knives called 'okapi'. Today they're making things we(Nigeria) could only wish we could make.

Let's make the sacrfice, stop importing Tokunbo cars. Buy the tear-rubber cars made in Nigeria. For those who wanna keep making money selling cars, you can go into dealership for these Made in Nigeria cars afterall that's the essence of the regulation...to create market for the MiN cars. By that the manufacturerrs will continue to improve until we start exporting cars.

It's good for us as a Nation, it's good for our economy!

NB: If you still no wan gree my advise, go import Camry 2003 model and sell it for N3Million against a MiN car salon car selling for N800k....#the numbers aint real but I'm sure you get the idea#

Lemme give you a little heads up, the problem with local manufacturing is not patronage, it is cost of production, let me take you to Aba where we believe local manufacturers have succeed to a little extent,
A Made in Aba sandals is two times more expensive than its made in china counterpart after all the compromise on quality.

Nigeria is saddled with a big monster called corruption which makes regulation near impossible, so if all the factors of production are not fixed, the so Called made in Nigeria cars will be very expensive in the face of an outright Ban.
The reason IVM is still within range is because he has competitors from different fronts, brand new importers and fairly used importers, once you take out one major competitor the price will soar.

we have local rice and foreign rice but the price difference is negligible the issues are spread across board on all made in Nigeria goods.

before obj's 11yrs ban, he first tried 5yrs, 7yrs and we all saw the outcome. there is what is called strategic planning and this Jonathan's Govt has proved totally incompetent in that regards.

everyone knew at the time that subsidy removal wasn't the right play 2yrs on, we are not better for it, what does it tell you? this Govt is run solely by fvcktards.

the easiest way to discourage old vehicles is increase their import tarrif, but in Nigeria, we discourage "IMPORT" outrightly when we have no capacity to be self reliant, isn't that crazy?

Remove tariff from brand new and less than 5yr old cars while you slam tariff on older cars, is it too diff for someone in this Govt to figure out?

1 Like

Re: Ban On Importation Of Tokunbo Cars: What You Should Know by jpphilips(m): 2:50pm On Oct 08, 2013
oluboyo04: my brother, this is one of the prices that you and i must pay to allow for meaningful development in our dear country. no car manufacturer will ever invest in nigeria considering the rate at which tokunbo cars are flowing in. this ban will pave way for made in Nigeria cars as some car manufacturing companies have shown interest to invest in Nigeria only the govt can stop the inflow of tokunbo cars.

What do you know?
Re: Ban On Importation Of Tokunbo Cars: What You Should Know by Chuksyno(m): 5:06pm On Oct 08, 2013
Including innoson.
Damojo: Na wah o. So na hyundai and kia we go dey drive now bah?
Re: Ban On Importation Of Tokunbo Cars: What You Should Know by Nobody: 5:34pm On Oct 08, 2013
Damojo: Na wah o. So na hyundai and kia we go dey drive now bah?

price won't make me leave Mercedes for those cars. God will provide...

1 Like

Re: Ban On Importation Of Tokunbo Cars: What You Should Know by Nobody: 11:57pm On Oct 08, 2013
Dis Guy:

you are overestimating these billionaires... rarely manufacturing anything 'technical'

Moreover Capital is one thing...Human capacity, environment is quite another

They need power too!

Okay so let's start with power production.

I'm not opposed to Innoson being asked by teh government to produce power for x number of communities in order to get a favorable standing with the governemnt.

Example, we will place a 200% levy on importation of diapers if a local diaper company can set up and promise to provide X killowatts of power for general consumption.

My point is that we can't keep waiting on the governemtn to spoon feed us.
Re: Ban On Importation Of Tokunbo Cars: What You Should Know by jpphilips(m): 6:48pm On Oct 09, 2013
Nigeria has no business manufacturing cars, we have a lot of area of competitive advantage better than other countries.
As a car manufacturing nation, we cant compete with the Europeans and Asian tigers, that is a fact so why bother ourselves, even America with their level of industrialization is not finding the Japanese competition funny let alone Nigeria.
Innoson can export to Ghana and equally sell to individuals or corporate bodies who are interested, it doesn't call for Govt intervention.

If we really wanna industrialize, we should look at areas where we already have competitive advantage and consolidate on it, Nigeria is sitting on enormous gas reserves have we explored them?

Have we looked at areas of refining where we can export refined products and all west African countries come to us to purchase petroleum products?
What about petrochemical industries? Nigeria has the capacity to produce synthetic tannin, gums, resin, imidazole, plastic (of whichever kind), cellophane, benzene, etc for the whole of Africa, have we looked into those areas?

have we built local capacity in those regards? so what are we manufacturing cars for? if all these sectors are developed, we are gonna be getting loads of foreign exchange and we are gonna be better off.

ironically, we don't even have sufficient skilled man power to support the Auto industries at least for the next decade so what is the rush for? this insufficient capacity is reflective on the number of quacks who murder our vehicles on a daily basis.

i really don't think that Jonathan is asinine, i think this move is political, the NPA is generating huge money internally for the federal govt as we speak, FIRS will tell better, its election time so there is need to mop up funds by increasing tariffs, OBJ has done it before so Jonathan is playing a script we are used to.

1 Like

Re: Ban On Importation Of Tokunbo Cars: What You Should Know by Advocatesam(f): 7:19am On Oct 10, 2013
BizBooks: In the government' defense, Aganga said arrangements were being made to manufacture
new cars that would be sold for between N1.2M and N1.5M
. The question is: what kind of
brand new car will sell for 1.2M? You can't even get a brand new VW Golf for that price.
Don't u know that a brand new 2012 VW Golf is expensive than a brand new 2012 Toyota Camry or any jap mobile in dat range.
Re: Ban On Importation Of Tokunbo Cars: What You Should Know by clemmonce(m): 4:37am On Oct 12, 2013
oluboyo04: my brother, this is one of the prices that you and i must pay to allow for meaningful development in our dear country. no car manufacturer will ever invest in nigeria considering the rate at which tokunbo cars are flowing in. this ban will pave way for made in Nigeria cars as some car manufacturing companies have shown interest to invest in Nigeria only the govt can stop the inflow of tokunbo cars.
. listen to yourself. there are some things that need to be in place before u start taking of car manufacturing. even if they ban tokunbo cars,honda wont come, toyota wont come,why? our economy is not stable, security zero, electricity zero, what i think they should have done is put the aforementioned in place, talk and convince this guys to come naija. thats all. too many tins to say but too tired to talk
Re: Ban On Importation Of Tokunbo Cars: What You Should Know by ba7man(m): 7:00am On Oct 12, 2013
jp philips: Nigeria has no business manufacturing cars, we have a lot of area of competitive advantage better than other countries.
As a car manufacturing nation, we cant compete with the Europeans and Asian tigers, that is a fact so why bother ourselves, even America with their level of industrialization is not finding the Japanese competition funny let alone Nigeria.
Innoson can export to Ghana and equally sell to individuals or corporate bodies who are interested, it doesn't call for Govt intervention.

If we really wanna industrialize, we should look at areas where we already have competitive advantage and consolidate on it, Nigeria is sitting on enormous gas reserves have we explored them?

Have we looked at areas of refining where we can export refined products and all west African countries come to us to purchase petroleum products?
What about petrochemical industries? Nigeria has the capacity to produce synthetic tannin, gums, resin, imidazole, plastic (of whichever kind), cellophane, benzene, etc for the whole of Africa, have we looked into those areas?

have we built local capacity in those regards? so what are we manufacturing cars for? if all these sectors are developed, we are gonna be getting loads of foreign exchange and we are gonna be better off.

ironically, we don't even have sufficient skilled man power to support the Auto industries at least for the next decade so what is the rush for? this insufficient capacity is reflective on the number of quacks who murder our vehicles on a daily basis.

i really don't think that Jonathan is asinine, i think this move is political, the NPA is generating huge money internally for the federal govt as we speak, FIRS will tell better, its election time so there is need to mop up funds by increasing tariffs, OBJ has done it before so Jonathan is playing a script we are used to.
I swear, you get brain. Your thinking is way above the average Nigerian.

We've not taken advantage of the opportunities right in front of our noses, we're jumping to Automobile Manufacturing.

As usual with G.E.J, Right idea, wrong timing.
Re: Ban On Importation Of Tokunbo Cars: What You Should Know by ba7man(m): 7:05am On Oct 12, 2013
Advocate sam: Don't u know that a brand new 2012 VW Golf is expensive than a brand new 2012 Toyota Camry or any jap mobile in dat range.
Not true. The VW Golf is always of comparable price to the Honda Civic, Toyota Corolla, Ford Focus and other Vehicles in its class.

1 Like

Re: Ban On Importation Of Tokunbo Cars: What You Should Know by Advocatesam(f): 12:07pm On Oct 14, 2013
ba7man: Not true. The VW Golf is always of comparable price to the Honda Civic, Toyota Corolla, Ford Focus and other Vehicles in its class.

Sir kindly Google it.
Re: Ban On Importation Of Tokunbo Cars: What You Should Know by erico2k2(m): 2:02pm On Oct 16, 2013
ba7man: Not true. The VW Golf is always of comparable price to the Honda Civic, Toyota Corolla, Ford Focus and other Vehicles in its class.
Guy I think you have never bought a new car, how can you compare Japs and german tech? the VW is far supirior to any car made in Japan and thats a fact
Re: Ban On Importation Of Tokunbo Cars: What You Should Know by VMLTDSMS(m): 7:11am On Oct 18, 2013
THIS SECTOR NEED TO MAKE SOME CONSIDERATION AND PUT THINGS IN PLACE BEFORE EMBARKING ON THEIR MISSION,IF A NEW CAR WILL BE SOLD ON CASH AND CARRY INSTEAD OF INSTALLMENT PAYMENT LIKE IN THE WESTERN WORLD,THEN SMUGGLERS WILL RETURN TO THE FRONTIER....EVERY CIVIL SERVANT AND ENTERPRISE PERSON DESERVE A NEW CAR FOR INSTALLMENT PAYMENT AFTER HE OR SHE MUST HAVE PAID 30% OR 50% OF THE CAR VALUE:

EVEN IN THE SAID WESTERN WORLD,THE POOR BUYS THE USED (2ND HAND) CARS FOR USE SO ALL ANIMAL ARE NOT EQUAL,WE MUST NOT KEEP THINKING AND FAVOURING THE RICH WHILE THE POOR SUFFER,THE RIGHT THING MUST BE ADDRESSED TO MAKE THIS WORK,SOME COMPANIES ARE SELLING RANGE ROVER SPORT AT N35MILLION WHILE IT IS SOLD N6MILLION EQUIVALENT IN EUROPE (€35000)...I HAVE THE CONTACT....READ BELOW NEWS
------------------------------------------
Reps endorse tariff increase on imported cars:
OCTOBER 18, 2013 BY OKECHUKWU NNODIM 14 COMMENTS

Members during plenary at the floor of the Nigeria House of Representatives
The House of Representatives Committee on Industry has endorsed the new automotive policy of the Federal Government, which seeks to increase the tariff on imported cars.

This is coming as the Minister of Industry, Trade and Investment, Mr. Olusegun Aganga, said the potential for the automobile industry plan was to save as much as N550bn.

The Chairman, House Committee on Industry, Mr. Mohammed Onawo, said the implementation of the policy would attract new investments to the sector, protect local automotive manufacturers and create employment.

Onawo, in a statement made available to our correspondent on Thursday in Abuja by the Federal Ministry of Industry, Trade and Investment, said increasing the tariff on imported cars would encourage the businesses of local manufacturers.

“The House Committee on Industry is very insistent on the fact that anybody who is going to import a complete car is going to pay a higher tariff than somebody who is going to manufacture here because that is the only way that you will be able to protect who is going to create employment here,” he was quoted as saying.

Onawo, who was accompanied by 12 other members of the committee on an oversight visit to the ministry, said he was pleased to hear about the new measures.

He added, “Of particular interest to me is how to use tariff to protect local manufacturers. One of the major challenges facing those that are manufacturing cars in Nigeria is the tariff structure.

“If somebody who is importing a complete car is paying less than somebody who is manufacturing, then you are not encouraging the person who is manufacturing. With the new measures being put in place by the ministry, I am sure it will protect those investors who are willing to come to Nigeria and invest by assembling or manufacturing vehicles here.”

In his response, Aganga said the ministry would continue to partner stakeholders in the implementation of its Industrial Revolution Plan.

He stated that the new automotive policy would have a catalytic effect of fast-tracking industrialisation, creating jobs and generating wealth for the country.

The minister said, “The new measures to transform the automotive sector is part of our industrial revolution plan, which is integrated, holistic and based on areas where we have comparative and competitive advantages as a country.

“Likewise, the potential for Nigeria’s automobile industry plan is to save as much as N550bn ($3.5bn) through the reduction of imports. We also have the regional export potential into the West and Central African market, coupled with the availability of a large and trainable workforce.

“Recognising the strategic and catalytic effects of the automotive industry in industrialisation, job creation and wealth formation, among others, emerging economies like Brazil, China, Malaysia, India, Iran, Indonesia, Thailand and South Africa took deliberate steps to develop their automotive industry between the 1960s and the 1980s. Nigeria started about the same time in the 1970s. These countries have, however, developed well-advanced automotive industries now, in contrast to Nigeria.”

http://www.punchng.com/business/business-economy/reps-endorse-tariff-increase-on-imported-cars/
Re: Ban On Importation Of Tokunbo Cars: What You Should Know by ba7man(m): 7:13am On Oct 18, 2013
erico2k2:
Guy I think you have never bought a new car, how can you compare Japs and german tech? the VW is far supirior to any car made in Japan and thats a fact
They are not in the same class. You can't compare the Golf's pricing to a Toyota Camry's price. The Jetta/Golf can cost more than its equivalent rivals, Corollas, focus, civics but not a toyota Camry. The same way a VW passat can cost more than a Camry because of the German advantage.

A Golf/Jetta top end models eg GTI / R-32 costs as much or more than some Camrys but both cars are generally not in the same price bracket. Because its a Golf and its German doesn't mean its automatically more expensive than a camry.

You need to visit more Auto sites. Let me recommend some to you: Topgear.com. Autocar.co.uk, Motor trend.com.

Don't always believe what you heard in Nigeria.

BTW, Do you know some Camry/ Honda top end Models can be more expensive than smaller engined BMW 3-series and C-class Benzes?

1 Like

Re: Ban On Importation Of Tokunbo Cars: What You Should Know by erico2k2(m): 9:27pm On Oct 18, 2013
ba7man: They are not in the same class. You can't compare the Golf's pricing to a Toyota Camry's price. The Jetta/Golf can cost more than its equivalent rivals, Corollas, focus, civics but not a toyota Camry. The same way a VW passat can cost more than a Camry because of the German advantage.

A Golf/Jetta top end models eg GTI / R-32 costs as much or more than some Camrys but both cars are generally not in the same price bracket. Because its a Golf and its German doesn't mean its automatically more expensive than a camry.

You need to visit more Auto sites. Let me recommend some to you: Topgear.com. Autocar.co.uk, Motor trend.com.

Don't always believe what you heard in Nigeria.

BTW, Do you know some Camry/ Honda top end Models can be more expensive than smaller engined BMW 3-series and C-class Benzes?
name one model of Camry that is more expenssive than a BMW 3 series of same year of manufacture.
Just so you know, the official chase car of the UK police are the BMW Estate.
* I dont need to visit Auto sites, I live in the Uk and have been driving here for more than 12 years so I know what Im talking about, you can never compare a Jap Car to a German car of any make in terms of cost and duribility, the highest Spec of the Toyota are the Lexus, have you seen the new 4motions from VW? and I dont listen to stuff from 9j for starters, most guys over there dont even know the true make and model plus spec of cars, they just know the local names given,so brov never compare Japanes cars to German tech its a no no, to British cars well mayBe.
Re: Ban On Importation Of Tokunbo Cars: What You Should Know by Advocatesam(f): 3:15pm On Oct 20, 2013
erico2k2:
name one model of Camry that is more expenssive than a BMW 3 series of same year of manufacture.
Just so you know, the official chase car of the UK police are the BMW Estate.
* I dont need to visit Auto sites, I live in the Uk and have been driving here for more than 12 years so I know what Im talking about, you can never compare a Jap Car to a German car of any make in terms of cost and duribility, the highest Spec of the Toyota are the Lexus, have you seen the new 4motions from VW? and I dont l
isten to stuff from 9j for starters, most guys over there dont even know the true make and model plus spec of cars, they just know the local names given,so brov never compare Japanes cars to German tech its a no no, to British cars well mayBe.

Thank u Sir. I don't know Why he thought.brand new Camry is more expensive than Brand new Golf. Some high-end Golf can buy two new Camry.
Re: Ban On Importation Of Tokunbo Cars: What You Should Know by jpphilips(m): 3:28pm On Oct 23, 2013

wait till Nigeria Assembles it then you will know how expensive it will be
Re: Ban On Importation Of Tokunbo Cars: What You Should Know by jpphilips(m): 3:30pm On Oct 23, 2013
erico2k2:

price of cars in Africa is not driven by superiority like you put it but demand and luxury aka options
Re: Ban On Importation Of Tokunbo Cars: What You Should Know by pumping777(m): 6:54am On Nov 19, 2013
I find this car discussion interesting so let me chip in.

I don't agree that you cannot compare Jap cars to German cars. it all depends on the brand and model.
From a durability perspective, jap cars are far more durable than German cars. The most durable and reliable cars are Japs by far.
Honda, Toyota and Subaru will beat BMW, Benz or Audi in durability or reliability. If you check various lists of most reliable cars, it is typically dominated by Toyota and Honda. You will hardly ever find a single German car in list. I am not making the point that Jap cars are better than German cars but I am referring to the issue of durability here.

Volkswagen is not a premium brand and the pricing is comparable to Toyota, Honda, Subaru and Mazda. By the way, it is not very reliable and resale value is not that good compared to the Japs.

Lexus is premium Jap and price is comparable to BMW and Benz so here also it does not hold that German cars are more expensive. A Lexus is far more expensive than a Volkswagen. I don't understand why we should compare these car makers in any case as one is a premium brand (Lexus) and the other is not. The cheapest Lexus saloon is $35k which is more than double the starting price of a VW Jetta (Same Class). In the same way, Infinity and Acura are way more expensive that equivalent VW models.

Most German brands are premium (Audi, BMW, Mercedes) and we have to compare them to other premium brands (Lexus, Cadillac, Infinity, Acura etc.) and the prices are comparable.

Back to prices we should look at starting prices as configuration can make the difference.

Starting prices in the US. Each row is for different models in the same class.

VW Jetta: $16k Honda Civic:$17k Toyota Corolla: $16k Lexus IS: $35k BMW 3 Series: $32k
VW Golf: $18k Toyota Matrix: $19k
VW Passat: $20k Honda Accord:$21k Toyota Camry: $22k Lexus GS: $47k BMW 5 Series: $49k

Golf GTI is a performance model and as rightly pointed out, is more expensive than a Camry but this is not fair comparison as Camry also has a 3.5L model which can be more expensive than a GTI.
Still a new Golf GTI starts at $24k so it is not that much more expensive than a regular Camry anyway.

I just could not help but comment on this one. I hope I made some sense.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Bentley Unveils New £160,000 Continental GT With A Revolving Three-way Dashboard / 'Lion Ozumba 551' UNN Makes Electric Car (Photos) / FRSC Vehicles Commissioned By Abdulrahman Dambazzau (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.