Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,337 members, 7,808,191 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:24 AM

3.2 Trillion Naira For Centenary Village! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 3.2 Trillion Naira For Centenary Village! (14021 Views)

Budgetgate And The 2 Trillion Fraud / Ten Places Buhari Can Get A Trillion Naira Within 90days In Office / Andy Uba Declared Asset To Be Worth Over A Trillion Naira (quite Alarming) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

3.2 Trillion Naira For Centenary Village! by Nobody: 8:56pm On Oct 07, 2013
The proposed Centenary Village, an ultra-modern city within the FCT to mark the 100 years of the Nigerian nationhood, will cost N3.2 trillion, retired Gen. Abdusalami Abubakar said on Monday.

Abubakar, who is Chairman of the Board of Centenary Village Plc, disclosed this while presenting a report to President Goodluck Jonathan at the State House in Abuja.

The Centenary Village Plc is a public liabilities company to be jointly set up by the private companies which will finance the project.

The former military Head of State, who led other members of the company’s board to the Presidential Villa, said the Centenary Village would be wholly financed by the private sector.

Abubakar said the board had in the report also requested President Jonathan to grant certain concessions to the private investors who are willing and ready to be part of the project.

“Specifically, government should make the land for the project available with the status of an export free zone.

“Tax holiday should also be granted to the investors for equipment and materials to be imported for the projects, among others,’’ he said.

President Jonathan thanked Abubakar and other members of the company’s board for the work done so far.

He said the presentation by Abubakar was not only “fascinating’’ but reassuring that “our dream that we will get a city better than Abuja is gradually coming to fruition’’.

Jonathan said the centenary city would be planned in a way where the infrastructure would be centralised.

“People living there will not need to drill borehole or get personal cylinder for gas, and the management of solid waste and other environmental issues will be centralised,’’ he said

“It is a big dream but we are hopeful that we are getting close.

“With the board’s commitment and the commitment of government, we will get there.’’

Jonathan assured that he would consult with relevant cabinet ministers on the requests made by the company’s board before giving approvals and directives.

Meanwhile, Abubakar in an interview with newsmen after the presentation, said he was in support of the national dialogue being planned by the federal government.

“It is better to `jaw-jaw’ than to `war-war’,’’ he had said.

NAN recalls that Jonathan had in a broadcast on Oct. 1 to mark Nigeria’s 53rd Independence Day Anniversary announced the setting up of an advisory committee on a national dialogue.(NAN)
http://www.vanguardngr.com/2013/10/centenary-village-cost-n3-2-trn-abubakar/
Re: 3.2 Trillion Naira For Centenary Village! by bigtt76(f): 9:00pm On Oct 07, 2013
Give ASUU den 1.3 trillion Naira make we rest o before girl begin preggers o! grin

1 Like

Re: 3.2 Trillion Naira For Centenary Village! by Nobody: 9:06pm On Oct 07, 2013
bigtt76: Give ASUU den 1.3 trillion Naira make we rest o before girl begin preggers o! grin

grin and boys begin robbers.

2 Likes

Re: 3.2 Trillion Naira For Centenary Village! by donphilopus: 9:10pm On Oct 07, 2013
This Money should be used to eradicate Poverty, how can they use such an amount of Money to celebrate? When about 70% of the population or so is suffering

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 3.2 Trillion Naira For Centenary Village! by Tolexander: 9:27pm On Oct 07, 2013
The whole of Nigeria is the area celebrating the centenary, not a part of the fct. Anything done for the celebration should benefit the whole nation.

Moreover, they can source for money from the private on 'owanbe' but to source for money to do what will benefit the whole nation is the problem.

3 Likes

Re: 3.2 Trillion Naira For Centenary Village! by AbuMikey(m): 9:30pm On Oct 07, 2013
This is thrash!! Thrash!! Thrash!!!

Rubbish

Mtchewww

2 Likes

Re: 3.2 Trillion Naira For Centenary Village! by Nobody: 9:36pm On Oct 07, 2013
donphilopus: This Money should be used to eradicate Poverty, how can they use such an amount of Money to celebrate? When about 70% of the population or so is suffering

That is what you get when you have a government that is so disconnected with the plight of the people. Nigeria is broke and we are spending 3.2 Trillion for a centenary Village alone. Mind you, this is not the only celebratory structure or activity that has been earmarked for the Centenary crap. Meanwhile your education sector is on a standstill, your health sector is almost crumbling. Your aviation sector has turned to a blood sucking vampire kingdom, Cost of living is getting higher by the day.

Totally Enjoying the Foul air!

8 Likes

Re: 3.2 Trillion Naira For Centenary Village! by taharqa: 9:36pm On Oct 07, 2013
Anybody who come here to criticize this Private-led new city project but on d other hand praise Eko Atlantic is a bladdi HYPOCRITE.... Apart from that, am not too interested. The Private sector can spend their monies to invest where/on what they want. If it produces jobs and Real Estate, good. Not such a top priority for me, though..

23 Likes

Re: 3.2 Trillion Naira For Centenary Village! by Nobody: 9:39pm On Oct 07, 2013
taharqa: Anybody who come here to criticize this Private-led new city project but on d other hand praise Eko Atlantic is a bladdi HYPOCRITE.... Apart from that, am not too interested. The Private sector can spend their monies to invest where/on what they want. If it produces jobs and Real Estate, good. Not such a top priority for me, though..

smiley The lapdogs are here.

Seriously, you believe that 'private sector' crap?

2 Likes

Re: 3.2 Trillion Naira For Centenary Village! by donphilopus: 9:47pm On Oct 07, 2013
shachris03:

That is what you get when you have a government that is so disconnected with the plight of the people. Nigeria is broke and we are spending 3.2 Trillion for a centenary Village alone. Mind you, this is not the only celebratory structure or activity that has been earmarked for the Centenary crap. Meanwhile your education sector is on a standstill, your health sector is almost crumbling. Your aviation sector has turned to a blood sucking vampire kingdom, Cost of living is getting higher by the day.

Totally Enjoying the Foul air!
they won't say the 3.2tr will cripple the FG now, but bring money to settle ASUU's problem, Labaran said the money will cripple the FG

2 Likes

Re: 3.2 Trillion Naira For Centenary Village! by Nobody: 9:50pm On Oct 07, 2013
Fucking bastards.

1 Like

Re: 3.2 Trillion Naira For Centenary Village! by IGBOSON1: 9:56pm On Oct 07, 2013
Fuc/k centenary village! angry Why must everything be located in Abuja? And what the fuc/k are we celebrating that warrants wasting such a colossal amount? You see why it's necessary to restructure this country?....so anyone that wants to spend trillions on building a new city in their region can do so with their money alone! What stops them from dividing the funds so each region can have a few extra spare billions of dollars to build their own centenary village?

Is it the same Abuja that some people will start to frown and murmur if an Igbo is appointed as minister?

2 Likes

Re: 3.2 Trillion Naira For Centenary Village! by Nobody: 9:56pm On Oct 07, 2013
donphilopus: they won't say the 3.2tr will cripple the FG now, but bring money to settle ASUU's problem, Labaran said the money will cripple the FG

My brother, don't mind that loud mouthed One. He is merely doing his job.

grin 'Centenary Village Plc'. Make i hear. When was the company floated? who are the shareholders? How come a former head of state is in charge of a public company, if not for political compensation?

Naija never disappoints.
Re: 3.2 Trillion Naira For Centenary Village! by donphilopus: 9:59pm On Oct 07, 2013
shachris03:

My brother, don't mind that loud mouthed One. He is merely doing his job.

grin 'Centenary Village Plc'. Make i hear. When was the company floated? who are the shareholders? How come a former head of state is in charge of a public company, if not for political compensation?

Naija never disappoints.
that's the main reason why I SMH for Nigeria, politician heading the Centenary village?
Error
Re: 3.2 Trillion Naira For Centenary Village! by WarriPikin1: 10:04pm On Oct 07, 2013
[size=18pt]The centenary celebration we want is stable,constant and cheap electricity,pipe borne drinking water in all the state capitals and at least 3 cities in every state, very good dual carriage federal highways across Nigeria and a mass housing program to alleviate the housing deficits across the country.

We don't want any useless centenary village in Abuja where the rich will insulate themselves further from the problems of mass poverty they have created by their corruption.

In any case, if a super modern village needs to be created at all, it should definitely be in the Niger Delta region and NOT the north again. Since FESTAC was built in the South west-Lagos and the rest of any other major project in nigeria have been in the north- abuja, it is time that something is built in the Niger Delta that produce all the wealth to give us a sense of belonging too.
[/size]

9 Likes

Re: 3.2 Trillion Naira For Centenary Village! by Nobody: 10:15pm On Oct 07, 2013
Warri _Pikin: [size=18pt]The centenary celebration we want is stable,constant and cheap electricity,pipe borne drinking water in all the state capitals and at least 3 cities in every state, very good dual carriage federal highways across Nigeria and a mass housing program to alleviate the housing deficits across the country.

We don't want any useless centenary village in Abuja where the rich will insulate themselves further from the problems of mass poverty they have created by their corruption.

In any case, if a super modern village needs to be created at all, it should definitely be in the Niger Delta region and NOT the north again. Since FESTAC was built in the South west-Lagos and the rest of any other major project in nigeria have been in the north- abuja, it is time that something is built in the Niger Delta that produce all the wealth to give us a sense of belonging too.
[/size]

But you forgot the south east. Or are we not part of Nigeria any more?

2 Likes

Re: 3.2 Trillion Naira For Centenary Village! by Nobody: 10:16pm On Oct 07, 2013
Warri _Pikin: [size=18pt]The centenary celebration we want is stable,constant and cheap electricity,pipe borne drinking water in all the state capitals and at least 3 cities in every state, very good dual carriage federal highways across Nigeria and a mass housing program to alleviate the housing deficits across the country.

[/size]

Re: 3.2 Trillion Naira For Centenary Village! by WarriPikin1: 10:25pm On Oct 07, 2013
shachris03:

Bros,
Erhhen, dey dia dey wait for me.
Na me go talk for una? Una no get mouth?

My concern na Delta State first,then other parts of the South. Upon say north don use local governments and number of states corner all the national resources, the little in the hands of Federal Government to develop the whole Nigeria,they still wan corner am put for only north. Una dey see am,una no wan tok. If na to fight useless Ibo vs. Yoruba e-war wey no get meaning,una go carry first.

You see North dey use wayo dey cheat us blind like say we be e.diots, una dey still talk yeye PDP vs. APC jargon?

4 Likes

Re: 3.2 Trillion Naira For Centenary Village! by Nobody: 10:30pm On Oct 07, 2013
Warri _Pikin:

Bros,
Erhhen, dey dia dey wait for me.
Na me go talk for una? Una no get mouth?

My concern na Delta State first,then other parts of the South. Upon say north don use local governments and number of states corner all the national resources, the little in the hands of Federal Government to develop the whole Nigeria,they still wan corner am put for only north. Una dey see am,una no wan tok. If na to fight useless Ibo vs. Yoruba e-war wey no get meaning,una go carry first.

You see North dey use wayo dey cheat us blind like say we be e.diots, una dey still talk yeye PDP vs. APC jargon?

grin Ok. We would meet at the SNC table.

1 Like

Re: 3.2 Trillion Naira For Centenary Village! by ketoprofen(m): 10:34pm On Oct 07, 2013
lolzz
Re: 3.2 Trillion Naira For Centenary Village! by Tuntheycr7: 11:05pm On Oct 07, 2013
Centenary ko cementry ni....
Thought dem say naija no get money to pay ASUU and other necessary tinz?
Fresh air tinz. SMhhh
Re: 3.2 Trillion Naira For Centenary Village! by Nobody: 11:13pm On Oct 07, 2013
Nigeria is over folks! All that is left is sharing of the national cake. A whopping $21bil to build a village? Can't the "private investors" invest in say water supply? highways? toll them at reasonable rates? Many things that money will do for Nigeria ooo!!!! village?

9ja I hail una o!! Make una continue dey suffer and smiling instead of lynching these politicians!!

1 Like

Re: 3.2 Trillion Naira For Centenary Village! by DaLover(m): 11:29pm On Oct 07, 2013
The number of daft people on this thread is alarming, even after it was bolder stated that it is going to be private sector driven, people still choose to believe otherwise...
Is it possible for the govt to spend 3.2trn without being budgeted by the FG and passed by National Assembly?
It's now easy to see why people cannot understand simple government policy directions..

10 Likes

Re: 3.2 Trillion Naira For Centenary Village! by WarriPikin1: 2:53am On Oct 08, 2013
shachris03:

grin Ok. We would meet at the SNC table.

No be say i no like pipul from Ibo or yoruba land.

Just think for a moment if dem say Federal Government wan build even if na just $1 billion dollars housing estate for Warri or Osogbo or Owerri, to celebrate 100 years of Nigeria, Northerners go ever gree for that one? Capital NO. But dem wan use wayo corner a whopping $21 Billion dollars to build housing estates for north, pretending to be celebrating "centenary" rubbish.

Is the centenary for only northern Nigeria to benefit from? Why dem no fit use $1 billion dollars build "centenary villages" inside every state so that the entire country can celebrate together? Wayo people!

4 Likes

Re: 3.2 Trillion Naira For Centenary Village! by theshadyexpress(m): 6:57am On Oct 08, 2013
Tuntheycr7: Centenary ko cementry ni....
Thought dem say naija no get money to pay ASUU and other necessary tinz?
Fresh air tinz. SMhhh
why are nairalanders so gullible that they comment without reading, well let me take it in my strides to put you out of your misery.
1)the project is wholly private sector funded I.e fog is not spending N1 on it.
2.it is going to create jobs for over 30000 Nigerians on completion in ten Year's time.
3)it is going to be a residential but largely an industrial setting like the eko Atlantic city.

3)fg will only provide land and technical support for the project.

4.it is going to place Nigeria as indeed a true leader in Africa.

so please I will implore my fellow nairalanders to please read beyond the headlines that can sometimes be misleading and also do a comprehensive research on the subject before commenting so that people won't regard your views as bias.
fresh air to y'all,see pics

7 Likes

Re: 3.2 Trillion Naira For Centenary Village! by Nobody: 7:42am On Oct 08, 2013
theshadyexpress:
why are nairalanders so gullible that they comment without reading, well let me take it in my strides to put you out of your misery.
1)the project is wholly private sector funded I.e fog is not spending N1 on it.
2.it is going to create jobs for over 30000 Nigerians on completion in ten Year's time.
3)it is going to be a residential but largely an industrial setting like the eko Atlantic city.

3)fg will only provide land and technical support for the project.

4.it is going to place Nigeria as indeed a true leader in Africa.

so please I will implore my fellow nairalanders to please read beyond the headlines that can sometimes be misleading and also do a comprehensive research on the subject before commenting so that people won't regard your views as bias.
fresh air to y'all,see pics

The Secretary to the Government of the Federation (SGF) Sen. Anyim Pius Anyim, on Tuesday in Abuja said the Federal Governement planned to BUILD a Centenary City.

Anyim announced this when he led a government team to brief the Senate on the proposals for preparation ahead of the Centenary Celebration of Nigeria’s foundation as a nation.

He said the theme of the event would be "One Nigeria, Great Vision" .

He said it was aimed at projecting a unified, vibrant, progressive and respected nation, eager to lead in world affairs.

Anyim said the project would be modeled after cities such as Dubai, Monaco and Singapore, to serve as a political and economic tool for securing foreign investment.

``One of the enduring legacies of the celebration shall be the development of a centenary city in Abuja.

``The city is conceived to focus the attention of the investing world in Nigeria. The city will reintroduce Abuja to the world,’’ he said.

He said the project was slated to hold in Abuja, state capitals, some historic towns and cities in Nigeria.

According to him, the project will feature commemorative events, historical and heritage programmes.

It will be financed by private sector investors.

``Every aspect of the celebration will be private sector-driven. We are not intending to bring government fund into the events.

``We will hold investors forum where investors are expected to decide the commemorative projects such as the New Abuja City Gate, Ceremonial Arcade (Unity Square) and Presidential Retreat,’’ Anyim said.

The SGF said the briefing was to present the proposal to the Senate, to make its input before preparations for the programme.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) recalls that on Jan. 16, President Goodluck Jonathan, in a letter, requested for a suitable date to brief the Senate on the celebration.

Senate President, David Mark, expressed the hope that the project would be successfully completed without government having to fund any aspect of it.

He said considering that government was not financially committed to the celebration, there was no need for further discussion by the Senators.

“Truly then we have no reason for this briefing. It is entirely a private sector driven exercise or business.

``If the idea is just to keep us abreast of what government is doing, then there is no need for question and answer or further discussion.

``But my worry is let it not appear that somewhere along the line we have been committed and then there is financial involvement.

“If there are suggestions that we want to make then we can get a committee and they can make suggestions and give to the businessmen, if they are interested, they buy, '' Mark stated.

The Dep. Senate President, Ike Ekweremadu, however, said it was necessary for the government to disclose the cost of the project for records and comparative purposes.

Whoever is funding it, its is important that the government provides what they consider to be the total cost of this project, both for comparative analysis and also for historical records.''

Ekweremadu gave the assurance that the National Assembly would study the document and make its contributions for the success of the project.

http://www.nanngronline.com/section/politics/fg-to-build-centenary-city-says-sgf

Now, the report said, FG to BUILD, and not private sector to build. What the private sector would do is finance the project as they have been doing with the power plants. So, FG would borrow money from the private sector, at a premium, to build a 'Centenary City' in an already developed Abuja. And the poor masses would end up paying back that loan.

If the private sector are truly the ones in charge of the project, why would the FG set a total cost for the project? If you were the one to undertake this project, would it be fair for the FG to set up the cost of your building the centenary city for you?

This project is government conceived, private sector financed, and government supervised. That is why Abubakar is the Head of the team.

4 Likes

Re: 3.2 Trillion Naira For Centenary Village! by Gabrinoz: 7:48am On Oct 08, 2013
shachris03: The proposed Centenary Village, an ultra-modern city within the FCT to mark the 100 years of the Nigerian nationhood, will cost N3.2 trillion, retired Gen. Abdusalami Abubakar said on Monday.

Abubakar, who is Chairman of the Board of Centenary Village Plc, disclosed this while presenting a report to President Goodluck Jonathan at the State House in Abuja.

The Centenary Village Plc is a public liabilities company to be jointly set up by the private companies which will finance the project.

The former military Head of State, who led other members of the company’s board to the Presidential Villa, said the Centenary Village would be wholly financed by the private sector.

Abubakar said the board had in the report also requested President Jonathan to grant certain concessions to the private investors who are willing and ready to be part of the project.

“Specifically, government should make the land for the project available with the status of an export free zone.

“Tax holiday should also be granted to the investors for equipment and materials to be imported for the projects, among others,’’ he said.

President Jonathan thanked Abubakar and other members of the company’s board for the work done so far.

He said the presentation by Abubakar was not only “fascinating’’ but reassuring that “our dream that we will get a city better than Abuja is gradually coming to fruition’’.

Jonathan said the centenary city would be planned in a way where the infrastructure would be centralised.

“People living there will not need to drill borehole or get personal cylinder for gas, and the management of solid waste and other environmental issues will be centralised,’’ he said

“It is a big dream but we are hopeful that we are getting close.

“With the board’s commitment and the commitment of government, we will get there.’’

Jonathan assured that he would consult with relevant cabinet ministers on the requests made by the company’s board before giving approvals and directives.

Meanwhile, Abubakar in an interview with newsmen after the presentation, said he was in support of the national dialogue being planned by the federal government.

“It is better to `jaw-jaw’ than to `war-war’,’’ he had said.

NAN recalls that Jonathan had in a broadcast on Oct. 1 to mark Nigeria’s 53rd Independence Day Anniversary announced the setting up of an advisory committee on a national dialogue.(NAN)
http://www.vanguardngr.com/2013/10/centenary-village-cost-n3-2-trn-abubakar/

Dont we have enof villages in Nigeria already?
Re: 3.2 Trillion Naira For Centenary Village! by Nobody: 8:23am On Oct 08, 2013
Gabrinoz:

Dont we have enof villages in Nigeria already?

grin We need more villages na. Because the Air in Villages are Fresher!
Re: 3.2 Trillion Naira For Centenary Village! by waternogetenemy: 8:54am On Oct 08, 2013
No Comment...Port HARCOURT as the south south capital is waiting for Federal government input. No wonder Rotimi is so upset with GEJ.

[size=18pt]Warri _Pikin: 10:04pm On Oct 07
The centenary celebration we want is stable,constant and cheap electricity,pipe borne drinking water in all the state capitals and at least 3 cities in every state, very good dual carriage federal highways across Nigeria and a mass housing program to alleviate the housing deficits across the country.

In any case, if a super modern village needs to be created at all, it should definitely be in the Niger Delta region and NOT the north again. Since FESTAC was built in the South west-Lagos and the rest of any other major project in nigeria have been in the north- abuja, it is time that something is built in the Niger Delta that produce all the wealth to give us a sense of belonging too.[/size]
Re: 3.2 Trillion Naira For Centenary Village! by Nobody: 9:04am On Oct 08, 2013
waternogetenemy: No Comment...Port HARCOURT as the south south capital is waiting for Federal government input. No wonder Rotimi is so upset with GEJ.

Enugu, the iboland Capital just got a refurbished Airport.
Re: 3.2 Trillion Naira For Centenary Village! by theshadyexpress(m): 9:19am On Oct 08, 2013
angryFG to build Centenary City in Abuja –Anyim
January 23, 2013 • By Our Reporter

…As SGF rolls out Nigeria’s 100 yrs programme

From ADETUTU FOLASADE-KOYI & IHENACHO NWOSU, Abuja

The Secretary to the Government of the Federation (SGF), Sen. Anyim Pius Anyim, yesterday briefed members of the Senate and House of Representatives over Nigeria’s centenary celebrations expected to begin on February 4 and end next January.

At the Senate, lawmakers sought clarification from Anyim that even though the event would be private sector-driven, it would not involve the National Assembly having to approve some funds. The highpoint of the briefing is the disclosure by Anyim that a world-class Centenary City will be built in Abuja. The House of Representatives was last week divided over the request by President Goodluck Jonathan that the lawmakers should approve the celebration. In the Senate Conference Room yesterday, there was tension when the SGF reeled out the programme which excluded the National Assembly.

He told the Senators that government does not intend to spend or appropriate one kobo of public funds for the celebrations. The entire project has been handed over to the private sector which would involve, among other things, building of a Centenary City in the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) and ICT centres in all universities which do not have the facilities now, among others.

Senators then listened in absolute silence as Anyim explained government’s programmes and proposals for the celebration of 100 years of Nigeria’s existence Mid-way into his 24-page speech, Senate President David Mark beckoned on Deputy Majority Leader, Abdul Ningi, whispered some words to him and straightened up in his seat.

Thereafter, Ningi approached Anyim at the dais placed at the far corner of the raised podium in the Senate Conference Room 2.32 and equally whispered to him. Anyim nodded his understanding but explained loudly that he had to give a synopsis of the bulky address placed before the Senators. It became apparent that attempts by Anyim to sway the lawmakers and by extension, the National Assembly, about their involvement in centenary celebrations may have suffered a setback. Speaking after Anyim has presented government’s proposed programme, the Senate President wondered why Anyim took the pains to address Senators about the programme when it would be entirely private-sector driven.

Mark said: “Government is not committing a dime to the centenary celebrations and that is my understanding so far. Government has no commitment at all except for the land in exchange or the swop, whatever the arrangement is. Truly, then, we have no reason for this briefing because, where do we participate and how do we come in? “It is an entirely a private sector commercial exercise or business.

If the idea is just to keep us abreast of what government is doing then, there is no need for question and answer or further discussion. But my worry is let it not appear that somewhere along the line, we have been committed and then there is financial involvement. I have looked at some of the programmes, we are going to move youths from all over the country and bring them to Abuja here for celebration. Just as a basic question, who is going to pay those youths and who is going to look after them? “I agree entirely with you and I believe you that it is a whole private sector-driven exercise and we have heard it. There is very little that we can do because if you call a businessman and say put a national and ultra-modern national conference centre in Lokoja and he says yes, historically, that is good, but that is not my commercial concept or interest then you can’t do anything.

“So, I am just worried that if truly it is private sector-driven, then we will conclude this briefing as quickly as possible but if there are suggestions that we want to make, then, we can get a committee and they can make suggestions and give to the businessmen if they are interested they buy. If they are not interested, they don’t buy.

It is just my simple contribution. But Anyim, a former Senate President, disagreed with Mark and reiterated the need to brief lawmakers on government’s programmes for the event. Said Anyim: “If I have to respond to the Senate President, to Mr Senate President, let me again reemphasize that the entire programme would be private sector-driven. And at no time will government put any funds into it.

But let me also say for instance, you mentioned should be built in Lokoja, we also have a strategy that for instance, if the lottery programme succeeds, it will generate some money which will go into some of the projects like world heritage site and others.

We also know that if we have a good drive, we can get sponsors. “If we work together we will succeed because the idea here is that every country that has succeeded in Nigeria should be part of the Nigeria success story. And you have to demonstrate it by committing to giving back to the nation. It is human beings, more particularly you and I that drive the programmes”, he said. Unless you are saying that we should only come to the National Assembly when we want to talk about money. And I am not sure that it is so.”
shachris03:

The Secretary to the Government of the Federation (SGF) Sen. Anyim Pius Anyim, on Tuesday in Abuja said the Federal Governement planned to BUILD a Centenary City.

Anyim announced this when he led a government team to brief the Senate on the proposals for preparation ahead of the Centenary Celebration of Nigeria’s foundation as a nation.

He said the theme of the event would be "One Nigeria, Great Vision" .

He said it was aimed at projecting a unified, vibrant, progressive and respected nation, eager to lead in world affairs.

Anyim said the project would be modeled after cities such as Dubai, Monaco and Singapore, to serve as a political and economic tool for securing foreign investment.

``One of the enduring legacies of the celebration shall be the development of a centenary city in Abuja.

``The city is conceived to focus the attention of the investing world in Nigeria. The city will reintroduce Abuja to the world,’’ he said.

He said the project was slated to hold in Abuja, state capitals, some historic towns and cities in Nigeria.

According to him, the project will feature commemorative events, historical and heritage programmes.

It will be financed by private sector investors.

``Every aspect of the celebration will be private sector-driven. We are not intending to bring government fund into the events.

``We will hold investors forum where investors are expected to decide the commemorative projects such as the New Abuja City Gate, Ceremonial Arcade (Unity Square) and Presidential Retreat,’’ Anyim said.

The SGF said the briefing was to present the proposal to the Senate, to make its input before preparations for the programme.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) recalls that on Jan. 16, President Goodluck Jonathan, in a letter, requested for a suitable date to brief the Senate on the celebration.

Senate President, David Mark, expressed the hope that the project would be successfully completed without government having to fund any aspect of it.

He said considering that government was not financially committed to the celebration, there was no need for further discussion by the Senators.

“Truly then we have no reason for this briefing. It is entirely a private sector driven exercise or business.

``If the idea is just to keep us abreast of what government is doing, then there is no need for question and answer or further discussion.

``But my worry is let it not appear that somewhere along the line we have been committed and then there is financial involvement.

“If there are suggestions that we want to make then we can get a committee and they can make suggestions and give to the businessmen, if they are interested, they buy, '' Mark stated.

The Dep. Senate President, Ike Ekweremadu, however, said it was necessary for the government to disclose the cost of the project for records and comparative purposes.

Whoever is funding it, its is important that the government provides what they consider to be the total cost of this project, both for comparative analysis and also for historical records.''

Ekweremadu gave the assurance that the National Assembly would study the document and make its contributions for the success of the project.

http://www.nanngronline.com/section/politics/fg-to-build-centenary-city-says-sgf

Now, the report said, FG to BUILD, and not private sector to build. What the private sector would do is finance the project as they have been doing with the power plants. So, FG would borrow money from the private sector, at a premium, to build a 'Centenary City' in an already developed Abuja. And the poor masses would end up paying back that loan.

If the private sector are truly the ones in charge of the project, why would the FG set a total cost for the project? If you were the one to undertake this project, would it be fair for the FG to set up the cost of your building the centenary city for you?

This project is government conceived, private sector financed, and government supervised. That is why Abubakar is the Head of the team.

FG to build Centenary City in Abuja –Anyim
January 23, 2013 • By Our Reporter

…As SGF rolls out Nigeria’s 100 yrs programme

From ADETUTU FOLASADE-KOYI & IHENACHO NWOSU, Abuja

The Secretary to the Government of the Federation (SGF), Sen. Anyim Pius Anyim, yesterday briefed members of the Senate and House of Representatives over Nigeria’s centenary celebrations expected to begin on February 4 and end next January.

At the Senate, lawmakers sought clarification from Anyim that even though the event would be private sector-driven, it would not involve the National Assembly having to approve some funds. The highpoint of the briefing is the disclosure by Anyim that a world-class Centenary City will be built in Abuja. The House of Representatives was last week divided over the request by President Goodluck Jonathan that the lawmakers should approve the celebration. In the Senate Conference Room yesterday, there was tension when the SGF reeled out the programme which excluded the National Assembly.

He told the Senators that government does not intend to spend or appropriate one kobo of public funds for the celebrations. The entire project has been handed over to the private sector which would involve, among other things, building of a Centenary City in the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) and ICT centres in all universities which do not have the facilities now, among others.

Senators then listened in absolute silence as Anyim explained government’s programmes and proposals for the celebration of 100 years of Nigeria’s existence Mid-way into his 24-page speech, Senate President David Mark beckoned on Deputy Majority Leader, Abdul Ningi, whispered some words to him and straightened up in his seat.

Thereafter, Ningi approached Anyim at the dais placed at the far corner of the raised podium in the Senate Conference Room 2.32 and equally whispered to him. Anyim nodded his understanding but explained loudly that he had to give a synopsis of the bulky address placed before the Senators. It became apparent that attempts by Anyim to sway the lawmakers and by extension, the National Assembly, about their involvement in centenary celebrations may have suffered a setback. Speaking after Anyim has presented government’s proposed programme, the Senate President wondered why Anyim took the pains to address Senators about the programme when it would be entirely private-sector driven.

Mark said: “Government is not committing a dime to the centenary celebrations and that is my understanding so far. Government has no commitment at all except for the land in exchange or the swop, whatever the arrangement is. Truly, then, we have no reason for this briefing because, where do we participate and how do we come in? “It is an entirely a private sector commercial exercise or business.

If the idea is just to keep us abreast of what government is doing then, there is no need for question and answer or further discussion. But my worry is let it not appear that somewhere along the line, we have been committed and then there is financial involvement. I have looked at some of the programmes, we are going to move youths from all over the country and bring them to Abuja here for celebration. Just as a basic question, who is going to pay those youths and who is going to look after them? “I agree entirely with you and I believe you that it is a whole private sector-driven exercise and we have heard it. There is very little that we can do because if you call a businessman and say put a national and ultra-modern national conference centre in Lokoja and he says yes, historically, that is good, but that is not my commercial concept or interest then you can’t do anything.

“So, I am just worried that if truly it is private sector-driven, then we will conclude this briefing as quickly as possible but if there are suggestions that we want to make, then, we can get a committee and they can make suggestions and give to the businessmen if they are interested they buy. If they are not interested, they don’t buy.

It is just my simple contribution. But Anyim, a former Senate President, disagreed with Mark and reiterated the need to brief lawmakers on government’s programmes for the event. Said Anyim: “If I have to respond to the Senate President, to Mr Senate President, let me again reemphasize that the entire programme would be private sector-driven. And at no time will government put any funds into it.

But let me also say for instance, you mentioned should be built in Lokoja, we also have a strategy that for instance, if the lottery programme succeeds, it will generate some money which will go into some of the projects like world heritage site and others.

We also know that if we have a good drive, we can get sponsors. “If we work together we will succeed because the idea here is that every country that has succeeded in Nigeria should be part of the Nigeria success story. And you have to demonstrate it by committing to giving back to the nation. It is human beings, more particularly you and I that drive the programmes”, he said. Unless you are saying that we should only come to the National Assembly when we want to talk about money. And I am not sure that it is so.”

1 Like

Re: 3.2 Trillion Naira For Centenary Village! by constance500: 9:37am On Oct 08, 2013
FP tinz.. grin dancing gnamgnam style... Next please

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Court Orders Temporary Forfeiture Of Patience Jonathan Houses In Abuja / Governor Seyi Makinde Declares Entry Forms For Schools Of Science Free / Supply Shocks, Hyper-Inflation Cause Of Hunger, Hardship – CBN Governor, Cardoso

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 114
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.