Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,485 members, 7,781,457 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 02:44 PM

How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey - Fashion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey (313804 Views)

Growing Nigerian Hair Long- Relaxed Or Natural / My Hair Journey :from Relaxed To Natural ( With Pics) / Grow Your Natural Hair Long (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by stylesco: 9:26pm On Oct 23, 2013
How do you make your natural hair look like bohemian curls?
Its so beautiful.
Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by Nobody: 11:17pm On Oct 23, 2013
NappilyNigerian:

Ouch! Sorry o! Do you have castor oil? If not, a light coat of olive oil on the injured parts would get the healing going. Try to minimize manipulation in the meantime.
thanks
Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by NappilyNigerian(f): 12:05pm On Oct 24, 2013
style$co:
How do you make your natural hair look like bohemian curls?
Its so beautiful.

Thank you. The bohemian curls are a result of twistouts . Here's a link to the tutorials

www.nappilynigeriangirl..com/2013/01/natural-hair-styles-mastering-twistout.html?m=1

www.nappilynigeriangirl..com/2012/07/twistout-today.html?m=1
Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by tiebe: 1:18pm On Oct 24, 2013
Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by tiebe: 1:19pm On Oct 24, 2013
I've been natural for 5 years now. but cut the hair again 3 years ago. i've tried all sorts of products and done all sorts of things. . . my opinion may change soon. but for now, i've concluded that most of the products dont do much for your hair. i've also concluded (and this is not likely to change in the nearest future) there's no conditioner like [size=14pt]good, old, cheap hair fruits conditioner!!!!!![/size] its only N300 or so but it works wonders. please try it and come and 'give testimonies'. my hair is now grazing my bra strap, and i used my natural hair for my wedding. the hair style was on point. as soon as my wedding pics come out, i'll show y'all!

1 Like

Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by hairbraiding: 9:25am On Oct 25, 2013
really beautiful hair. Refreshing to see hair in its natural state, visually appealing. also nice to know that you dont need to spend loads to get nice hair. good job

http://www.hairbraidingnetwork.com/blog
Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by NappilyNigerian(f): 4:32pm On Oct 26, 2013
ti-ebe:
I've been natural for 5 years now. but cut the hair again 3 years ago. i've tried all sorts of products and done all sorts of things. . . my opinion may change soon. but for now, i've concluded that most of the products dont do much for your hair. i've also concluded (and this is not likely to change in the nearest future) there's no conditioner like [size=14pt]good, old, cheap hair fruits conditioner!!!!!![/size] its only N300 or so but it works wonders. please try it and come and 'give testimonies'. my hair is now grazing my bra strap, and i used my natural hair for my wedding. the hair style was on point. as soon as my wedding pics come out, i'll show y'all!

Oh goody! Would love to see your pics! smiley

I'm happy Hair Fruits work for you. I used it in my secondary school days and still recommend it for people who already understand their natural hair but if you don't understand moisture balance, it's not really the best for natural hair. Products matter...try using Petals shampoo, Conditioner and hairfood for a month and lemme know how your hair feels.

One can go as expensive or as cheap as you want with natural haircare as long as one understands the needs of their hair.
Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by tiebe: 5:27pm On Oct 26, 2013
smiley having issues uploading some pictures that i coulda shown. . .
Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by fatopsy: 7:25pm On Oct 26, 2013
fatopsy: lovely hair. I've been thinking of turning my hair back to natural n nw i cn see urs i wld love to. Pls how do i go abt it
Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by lechiffre: 12:37am On Oct 27, 2013
News!!! Just loaded and free of charge. Contact 232E12C2 now get more details
If you are interested in
Guide to open an Accessories Store
- Guide to Become an Actor 
- Guide to Become a Bridal Salon Owner
- Guide to Become an Event Planner 
- Guide to Become a Fashion Designer
- Guide to Become a Professional Photographer 
- Guide to Become a Fashion stylist
then let's get started.
Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by NappilyNigerian(f): 12:21am On Oct 28, 2013
[quote author=fatopsy][/quote]

You can either cut off all the relaxed hair or gradually trim of your relaxed hair as your undergrowth (naturalhair) gets longer.

Here's a link for more info www.nappilynigeriangirl..com/2012/08/natural-hair-basics-how-to-go-natural_31.html?m=1
Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by funkybaby(f): 4:25pm On Oct 28, 2013
NappilyNigerian:

You can either cut off all the relaxed hair or gradually trim of your relaxed hair as your undergrowth (naturalhair) gets longer.

Here's a link for more info www.nappilynigeriangirl..com/2012/08/natural-hair-basics-how-to-go-natural_31.html?m=1

this is exactly what i did. the last time i relaxed my hair was late March.

i kept cutting off the relaxed ends periodically and i chopped off the little that was left last night - all by myself grin

so now, i am 100 percent natural hair grin grin

2 Likes

Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by fumz081: 5:17pm On Oct 29, 2013
hi everyone, wan start the natural hair journey and
will be having my big chop very soon...wuld love to
knw wat kinda stuffs to use on my natural hair that
are availabke here in Nigeria cos its kinda ful and a
lil tough...thanks
Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by fumz081: 5:34pm On Oct 29, 2013
OP hw long hav u bn on ur natural hair...and also were in LAgos can i get d conditioners and stuffs i need for my natural hair...thanks
Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by Nobody: 6:29pm On Oct 29, 2013
pls help me! Ma frnt hair brks very easily, it has evn stopd growin, ma hair is growin long bt d front hair is very embarasin coz it doesnt evn av a good shape, its so anoyin dat chosin hairstyl is very dificult if m nt fixin. To make tinz worse, ma hair is also very scanty, its nt ful bt long kisspls help me! Ma frnt hair brks very easily, it has evn stopd growin, ma hair is growin long bt d front hair is very embarasin coz it doesnt evn av a good shape, its so anoyin dat chosin hairstyl is very dificult if m nt fixin. To make tinz worse, ma hair is also very scanty, its nt ful bt long....plzz wt can i do
Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by dontgivafuck: 10:38pm On Oct 29, 2013
@nappilynigerian pls wat does this henna leaves look like or wat is it? I always hear of henna this, henna that buh dunno wat this henna leaves luk like, so pls can u describe it or show a pic
Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by Chinwem(f): 6:54am On Oct 30, 2013
ti-ebe:

Would love to see the pics of your hair
Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by elektra(f): 7:22pm On Oct 30, 2013
@ NappilyNigerian

Where did you get the 'NappyGirl Pudding'?
Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by NappilyNigerian(f): 10:06pm On Oct 30, 2013
fumz081: hi everyone, wan start the natural hair journey and
will be having my big chop very soon...wuld love to
knw wat kinda stuffs to use on my natural hair that
are availabke here in Nigeria cos its kinda ful and a
lil tough...thanks

Start with getting a gentle shampoo, conditioner, sealing oil/butter, leave in conditioner and deep in conditioner.
If you're based in Lagos and want a brick and mortar shop, try CasaBella or Poise in Ikeja Shopping Mall.

Full hair is cool, toughness I should guess is that it's hard to comb. Don't comb dry, apply conditioner or water to your hair before combing to soften it. Also try to style your hair slightly damp and don't manipulate again afterwards.

1 Like

Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by NappilyNigerian(f): 10:12pm On Oct 30, 2013
fumz081: OP hw long hav u bn on ur natural hair...and also were in LAgos can i get d conditioners and stuffs i need for my natural hair...thanks

I've been on natural hair all my life but started my healthy hair journey about 7 years ago and have retained the most length since then. In Lagos you can get the products in Poise and CasaBella stores in Ikeja Shopping mall or Palms shopping mall, Lekki. Online purchase from Nigerian vendors are also good. List of vendors are available on my blog or kinksandi.com
Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by NappilyNigerian(f): 10:20pm On Oct 30, 2013
Holanid: pls help me! Ma frnt hair brks very easily, it has evn stopd growin, ma hair is growin long bt d front hair is very embarasin coz it doesnt evn av a good shape, its so anoyin dat chosin hairstyl is very dificult if m nt fixin. To make tinz worse, ma hair is also very scanty, its nt ful bt long kisspls help me! Ma frnt hair brks very easily, it has evn stopd growin, ma hair is growin long bt d front hair is very embarasin coz it doesnt evn av a good shape, its so anoyin dat chosin hairstyl is very dificult if m nt fixin. To make tinz worse, ma hair is also very scanty, its nt ful bt long....plzz wt can i do

First you need a wig to cover the situation so you won't be tempted to do anything drastic.

Next baring any other issues such as permanent damage to your hair follicles, you should see growth in about two months. Apply castor oil to clean scalp daily or you can request for specifically made hair stimulating kit by email.
Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by NappilyNigerian(f): 10:30pm On Oct 30, 2013
dontgivafuck: @nappilynigerian pls wat does this henna leaves look like or wat is it? I always hear of henna this, henna that buh dunno wat this henna leaves luk like, so pls can u describe it or show a pic

I couldn't upload a pic but here's a link to a post with a picture I took of the henna leaves www.nappilynigeriangirl..com/2013/05/kinky-hair-update-and-henna.html?m=1

it's gotten from a shrub (haven't seen it) but I get it already dried and blended into powder. it's used by Northern people to dye their hands and hair...it's used to do intricate designs (lalle) during ceremonies.

It's popular because it's absorbed by hair and makes the hair stronger (strength not texture) to withstand breakage.
Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by NappilyNigerian(f): 10:33pm On Oct 30, 2013
elektra: @ NappilyNigerian

Where did you get the 'NappyGirl Pudding'?

I make it. You can request yours by email....nappilynigeriangirl@gmail.com...don't forget to tell me your particular hair issues so I can tailor the pudding to your needs.
Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by Nobody: 7:41am On Oct 31, 2013
NappilyNigerian:

First you need a wig to cover the situation so you won't be tempted to do anything drastic.

Next baring any other issues such as permanent damage to your hair follicles, you should see growth in about two months. Apply castor oil to clean scalp daily or you can request for specifically made hair stimulating kit by email.
wt kind of hairstyl is suitable for ma hair, coz ma mum cnt alow me to leave it wtout makin it
Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by NtahEsther: 12:03am On Nov 04, 2013
nappilynigeria, pls how can I deep condition my hair.
Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by Destinygrl(f): 1:19pm On Nov 04, 2013
@nappily nice thread u got here, pls cld u give us tips on how to prevent harmatan hair breakage tnks
Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by Nobody: 10:48am On Nov 06, 2013
@ Nappy girl,pls i have a serious hair problem now,i have not retouch my hair for 4 months now i didn't notice any breakage but when i started using olive oil,sheabutter,palmkernel oil,and mustard oil,i started noticing serious breakage dat half of my hair is gone,i need to grow my hair after d big chop 2dAy
Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by NappilyNigerian(f): 8:00pm On Nov 06, 2013
Ntah Esther: nappilynigeria, pls how can I deep condition my hair.

Apply a deep conditioner to damp or dry hair, then cover with showercap, a steam cap or go under a steamer. Leave on for not less than 30mins. Then rinse off with tepid or cold water.

A popular brand of deep conditioner available in the market is Emily Millionaire Coconut and Herbs.

For specific suggestions, send me a mail.

1 Like

Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by NappilyNigerian(f): 8:28pm On Nov 06, 2013
Destinygrl :
@nappily nice thread u got here, pls cld u give us tips on how to prevent harmatan hair breakage tnks

Thank you.

Tip 1....Switch over to sulfate free shampoos or cleansers to wash off dust and accumulated products especially if you'll have free hair.

Tip 2....Deep condition after every shampoo.

Tip 3....Moisturise your ends everyday and when it's dry. Your hair is dry if it feels crunchy to touch. Apply a water based conditioner then seal in with oil. The Indian Oiling Method works well too.

Tip 4... Protective styles is your best friend!

- minitwists, braids without extensions. Allows you to moisturise your hair without the need for combing daily.

- buns and updos that hide the ends of your hair. With a satin bonnet at night, you don't need to redo your hair every day

- twistouts/braidouts (if you're natural) helps keep your hair stretched and reduces tangles.

- Weaves....Moisturise and deep condition the hair thoroughly at least two days before fixing if not your hair will break off under the wig. Also don't leave the weave in longer than three weeks.

- Braids and twists with extensions. I've observed that the bigger the sections, the less breakage. Moisturise beforehand.

- Big daddy blowouts or flatiron styles (if natural)...it helps stretch your hair and make it easier to oil your hair and reduces tangles.
Caution: If you don't have a thermal protectant and an ionic flatiron, please avoid. If you have split ends or your strands are damaged, do not apply heat to your hair. I learnt this the hard way.

For more tips, go to www.nappilynigeriangirl..com
Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by NappilyNigerian(f): 8:38pm On Nov 06, 2013
Sunehri_145: @ Nappy girl,pls i have a serious hair problem now,i have not retouch my hair for 4 months now i didn't notice any breakage but when i started using olive oil,sheabutter,palmkernel oil,and mustard oil,i started noticing serious breakage dat half of my hair is gone,i need to grow my hair after d big chop 2dAy

Okay....first things first, oil is not moisture....so your hair can still break while loaded with oil.
Water...either plain or in a water based product is the ultimate moisturiser. Oil just makes sure the water absorbed doesn't evaporate out sooner.

Another thing, prior to big chopping, it's natural for the hair to break off at the relaxed/naturalhair meeting point.

Also to reduce breakage if you've done the big chop already, you have to treat your hair differently....as different as you're treat a curly weave on / a straight weave on.

1 Like

Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by Nobody: 8:25am On Nov 07, 2013
Thanks
Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by Miatha(f): 3:00pm On Nov 07, 2013
ti-ebe:
pls is it d gentelle hair fruits conditioner, cn i use it 4my relaxed hair dat is very light and how do i use it pls tanx

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply)

Ankara Styles / Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) / stylish kareena kapoor

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.