Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,112 members, 7,779,942 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 07:16 AM

World's First Malaria Vaccine To Be Commercially Available Soon - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / World's First Malaria Vaccine To Be Commercially Available Soon (8020 Views)

World's First Malaria Vaccine Approved / GBAM!!! Ebola Vaccine To Be Ready In 2015 BY WHO. / U.S. Reports Malaria Vaccine Breakthrough (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

World's First Malaria Vaccine To Be Commercially Available Soon by brosun(m): 6:12am On Oct 09, 2013
From test trial, the world’s first vaccine to tackle malaria, a disease that threatens the life of about 3.3 billion worldwide, will soon be available in commercial quantity for the treatment of the disease.

British drug maker, GlaxoSmithKline (GSK), is seeking regulatory approval to produce the malaria vaccine for sale, after trial data showed that it had cut the number of cases in African children.

Experts Tuesday welcomed the bid, saying they are optimistic about the possibility of the world's first vaccine being deployed to tame malaria, after the trial results.

According to the World Health Organisation (WHO), malaria, a mosquito-borne parasitic disease, kills hundreds of thousands of people worldwide yearly, with an estimated 219 million cases of the disease reported in 2010, causing an estimated 660,000 deaths.

But scientists said an effective vaccine was crucial to attempts to eradicate the disease instead of the drug regimen being used now to fight it.

The vaccine known as RTS,S was found to have almost halved the number of malaria cases in young children in the trial and to have reduced by about 25 per cent the number of malaria cases in infants.

GSK is developing RTS,S with the non-profit Path Malaria Vaccine Initiative (MVI), supported by funding from the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation.

Researchers found out that the vaccine, which is being developed in the US, protected 12 out of 15 patients from the disease, when given in high doses.
The method is unusual because it involves injecting live but weakened malaria-causing parasites directly into patients to trigger immunity.

"Many millions of malaria cases fill the wards of our hospitals," said Halidou Tinto, a lead investigator on the RTS,S trial from Burkina Faso.

"Progress is being made with bed nets and other measures, but we need more tools to battle this terrible disease,” Tinto added.

The malaria trial was Africa's largest-ever clinical exercise involving almost 15,500 children in seven countries.

The findings were presented at a medical meeting in Durban, South Africa.http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/experts-welcome-world-s-first-malaria-vaccine/161115/

9 Likes

Re: World's First Malaria Vaccine To Be Commercially Available Soon by Infomizer(m): 6:20am On Oct 09, 2013
Nice! Kudos to the fund providers.
Our flitting days are numbered...
Cancer, you're going down next! Sucker!!

1 Like

Re: World's First Malaria Vaccine To Be Commercially Available Soon by Burger01(m): 6:27am On Oct 09, 2013
Good. All thanks to Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation. That's what I call achievement. We have useless millionaires and billionaires in Nigeria who would rather use their money for politics, title chasing, land grabbing and senseless oppressions. Here is Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation... saving lives is their aim. Next is to win the war against HIV and Cancer..

Long live Bill and Melinda gate.

cool

21 Likes

Re: World's First Malaria Vaccine To Be Commercially Available Soon by kessgreen(m): 6:50am On Oct 09, 2013
grin[color=#006600][/color]Yeepee!Malaria own don kpafuca malaria own don kpafuca!This is ‎​_̅̅̅G̲̣̣̣̥O̲̣̣̥ό̲̣̣̣̥̥̊ƌ̲̣̣̣̥ new,but i won't believe until it's tried and tested,fourth 2 comment,so glad am on front page too!
Re: World's First Malaria Vaccine To Be Commercially Available Soon by demelza: 9:02am On Oct 09, 2013
God bless the scientists who worked on this project.
No prayers for the Gates family, they are already blessed.
Lets kick malaria outta Africa!
smiley
Re: World's First Malaria Vaccine To Be Commercially Available Soon by dominique(f): 9:04am On Oct 09, 2013
The article didn't say if its going to be a once-in-a-lifetime vaccine or a continuous one. I'm happy for the breakthrough, Hope its going to be available for free in the rural areas.

Infomizer: Nice! Kudos to the fund providers.
Our flitting days are numbered...
Cancer, you're going down next! Sucker!!

Article says malaria vaccine not mosquito vaccine. except you don't mind those bugs piercing your skin and sucking your blood, I'm afraid flitting will still have to go on sad
Re: World's First Malaria Vaccine To Be Commercially Available Soon by Burger01(m): 9:11am On Oct 09, 2013
^^^

What's the relationship between malaria and mosquito
Re: World's First Malaria Vaccine To Be Commercially Available Soon by dominique(f): 9:15am On Oct 09, 2013
demelza: God bless the scientists who worked on this project.
No prayers for the Gates family, they are already blessed.
Lets kick malaria outta Africa!
smiley

Pls say prayers for them too o. We all need prayers dear, money is not everything.

2 Likes

Re: World's First Malaria Vaccine To Be Commercially Available Soon by Nobody: 9:25am On Oct 09, 2013
Re: World's First Malaria Vaccine To Be Commercially Available Soon by Infomizer(m): 9:47am On Oct 09, 2013
dominique: The article didn't say if its going to be a once-in-a-lifetime vaccine or a continuous one. I'm happy for the breakthrough, Hope its going to be available for free in the rural areas.

Article says malaria vaccine not mosquito vaccine. except you don't mind those bugs piercing your skin and sucking your blood, I'm afraid flitting will still have to go on sad
I really do mind, I got carried away by the euphoria! Either way, we won't flit forever!
Re: World's First Malaria Vaccine To Be Commercially Available Soon by Infomizer(m): 9:48am On Oct 09, 2013
dominique: The article didn't say if its going to be a once-in-a-lifetime vaccine or a continuous one. I'm happy for the breakthrough, Hope its going to be available for free in the rural areas.

Re: World's First Malaria Vaccine To Be Commercially Available Soon by Damojo: 9:48am On Oct 09, 2013
Time to invest in GSK shares!

1 Like

Re: World's First Malaria Vaccine To Be Commercially Available Soon by esbjaygmailco(m): 10:53am On Oct 09, 2013
dancing skelewu
Re: World's First Malaria Vaccine To Be Commercially Available Soon by lilslick(m): 10:53am On Oct 09, 2013
pls wat is malaria?

1 Like

Re: World's First Malaria Vaccine To Be Commercially Available Soon by imsuboi(m): 10:54am On Oct 09, 2013
K
Re: World's First Malaria Vaccine To Be Commercially Available Soon by IAMBREEZY: 10:54am On Oct 09, 2013
Gud
Re: World's First Malaria Vaccine To Be Commercially Available Soon by theripper3: 10:58am On Oct 09, 2013
Science is awesome I swear.
Re: World's First Malaria Vaccine To Be Commercially Available Soon by Kenny4lyfe(m): 10:59am On Oct 09, 2013
Bad news for Antimalarial Combination Therapy (ACT) manufacturing companies! grin

fellow nairalanders, if you don't chart a way forward for our continued existence as a country, who will?