Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,816 members, 7,802,619 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 05:30 PM

Teenagers Launch Locally-made Rocket In Imo, Causing Confusion - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Teenagers Launch Locally-made Rocket In Imo, Causing Confusion (54592 Views)

The Locally-Made Vehicle I Saw In Aba - Pictures / How To Create A Locally Made Inverter With Ease / Panic In Imo Community As Two Teenagers Launch Locally Made Rocket !!!!!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Teenagers Launch Locally-made Rocket In Imo, Causing Confusion by ceejayluv(m): 6:59am On Oct 09, 2013
Two pupils of the Federal Government College, Okigwe, Imo State have caused a stir in Umuchime Ubahu community in Okigwe Local Government, with the launch of a “rocket” they built from local materials.

The rocket, which was supposed to travel five kilometres, went further than programmed and landed in a residential area, causing a stampede.

The residents of the house where the rocket landed, alerted the police, thinking it was a bomb.

Commissioner of Police Muhammad Musa Katsina, however, dispelled fears of terrorism, saying the “amateur scientists”, who launched the home-made rocket, did not intend any harm.

Katsina, however, urged the residents to remain security-conscious and report suspicious movements to the police.

The police boss, who briefed reporters yesterday, said there was a bomb scare in the community when the two science students launched their rocket.

He said police investigation showed that there was no criminal intent, adding that it was a case of innovation and adventure.

“There was no terrorism motive in the act. We enjoin people to go about their activities without fear,” Katsina said.

He went on: “The manufacturers of this rocket are not terrorists, they are rather talented science pupils keen on developing their scientific skills. They should be encouraged.

“The rocket has been deactivated and is safe. The components as discovered by the Police Bomb Disposal Unit do not contain any radioactive or toxic element.

“Because the boys intended no harm, no punitive measures will be taken. I will rather recommend that they be encouraged so that they can achieve greater things.”

The teenage scientists asked for Federal Government’s sponsorship to enable them improve on their skills.

They said they built the rocket as part of a school exercise, which earned them a second position in a competition.

They said they were inspired to launch the rocket when they heard of the National Space Development Agency’s plan to launch a climate-monitoring satellite into space next year.

http://www.thenationonlineng.net/new/fear-as-teenagers-launch-rocket-in-imo/

79 Likes

Re: Teenagers Launch Locally-made Rocket In Imo, Causing Confusion by Nobody: 9:12am On Oct 09, 2013
I just had to laugh when I read this piece!
The whole place is becoming tense, such that any loud bang may lead to cardiac arrest.
The police chief sure handled this well!

But wait a min, if the rocket "scientists" came second, I wish I could know what who took first invented!

51 Likes

Re: Teenagers Launch Locally-made Rocket In Imo, Causing Confusion by Aifey(m): 9:34am On Oct 09, 2013
All they need is encouragement n support for such talent. Their shud b schools for special talents like this. Imagin wht this kids can build in d decade. That y I luv russia n iran, they beliv in home made n hate impotation of intelectuals. But here, d govt only kns looting n 2015. no body cares.

21 Likes

Re: Teenagers Launch Locally-made Rocket In Imo, Causing Confusion by extremelygolden: 5:28pm On Oct 09, 2013
Catch them young,
train them,
and let them make this nation proud!

18 Likes

Re: Teenagers Launch Locally-made Rocket In Imo, Causing Confusion by Lionbite(m): 5:28pm On Oct 09, 2013
It's either the government adopt these kids before boko haram seize them for their evil ambitions. With this prototype of the rocket they can upgrade it in such a way they shoot it from their base at kaduna and it lands here in my parlour at mushin. Abeg do something before something do us o.
I Don vex

150 Likes

Re: Teenagers Launch Locally-made Rocket In Imo, Causing Confusion by Nobody: 5:30pm On Oct 09, 2013
Where is my reply.

1 Like

Re: Teenagers Launch Locally-made Rocket In Imo, Causing Confusion by kkkp: 5:30pm On Oct 09, 2013
grin grin
Re: Teenagers Launch Locally-made Rocket In Imo, Causing Confusion by Decapo: 5:30pm On Oct 09, 2013
A case of innovation

2 Likes

Re: Teenagers Launch Locally-made Rocket In Imo, Causing Confusion by Ola2njee: 5:31pm On Oct 09, 2013
That makes me remember bournvita's line...The leaderz of Tomorrow!!

4 Likes

Re: Teenagers Launch Locally-made Rocket In Imo, Causing Confusion by Nobody: 5:31pm On Oct 09, 2013
Lionbite: Future boko haram

Well someone needs Deliverance here

15 Likes

Re: Teenagers Launch Locally-made Rocket In Imo, Causing Confusion by YusufG: 5:31pm On Oct 09, 2013
Nigerians sha
Re: Teenagers Launch Locally-made Rocket In Imo, Causing Confusion by deandavid(m): 5:31pm On Oct 09, 2013
no picture......................... crap

3 Likes

Re: Teenagers Launch Locally-made Rocket In Imo, Causing Confusion by YoshiMaster: 5:31pm On Oct 09, 2013
Shoo! These guys build rocket come carry second.

So wetin the guys wey carry first come build na?

Abi na submarine?

Which kin school be this sef wey dem they give children rocket assignment?

When me I dey shool, dem just talk sey make we do tie and dye, come sew cloth, which one be rocket again?

37 Likes

Re: Teenagers Launch Locally-made Rocket In Imo, Causing Confusion by rozayx5(m): 5:32pm On Oct 09, 2013
Lionbite: Future boko haram

so seeth a pessimist

2 Likes

Re: Teenagers Launch Locally-made Rocket In Imo, Causing Confusion by nelsn(m): 5:33pm On Oct 09, 2013
the earlier we start developing our human talent in 9ja d better 4 us

I wonder wat d 1sT position was......CHEMICAL WEAPON?

2 Likes

Re: Teenagers Launch Locally-made Rocket In Imo, Causing Confusion by Stegomiah: 5:33pm On Oct 09, 2013
Naija got talent! Great innovation, kudos to the boys

2 Likes

Re: Teenagers Launch Locally-made Rocket In Imo, Causing Confusion by felzylix(m): 5:33pm On Oct 09, 2013
AWESOME!!! I hope they dont end up in bad hands

4 Likes

Re: Teenagers Launch Locally-made Rocket In Imo, Causing Confusion by everyday: 5:34pm On Oct 09, 2013
Very brilliant kids

1 Like

Re: Teenagers Launch Locally-made Rocket In Imo, Causing Confusion by ITbomb(m): 5:34pm On Oct 09, 2013
kaeyame:
But wait a min, if the rocket "scientists" came second, I wish I could know what who took first invented!
Briefcased Auto-lock Bazooka

6 Likes

Re: Teenagers Launch Locally-made Rocket In Imo, Causing Confusion by oltimate: 5:34pm On Oct 09, 2013
more to come soonest they must not wait for the FG support if not they will go like others before them history does't change
www.1nairanetwork.com has lunched their own be the first to find out
Re: Teenagers Launch Locally-made Rocket In Imo, Causing Confusion by seedord247(m): 5:34pm On Oct 09, 2013
Okrika Bomb (......)

Okrika shoes (Yaba)

Okrika Clothes (Oshodi, Azwani)

Okrika Electronic (Alaba Int;l)

Okrika Yam legs and hairy body (Them gurls) grin

Okrika Amoeba Head (Them Boys) grin

3 Likes

Re: Teenagers Launch Locally-made Rocket In Imo, Causing Confusion by BankuTilapia: 5:35pm On Oct 09, 2013
Hahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Phucking hilarious cheesy cheesy grin cheesy cheesy mumugerians

2 Likes

Re: Teenagers Launch Locally-made Rocket In Imo, Causing Confusion by Bantino(m): 5:35pm On Oct 09, 2013
Hahahahaha, Ogbu n'igwe

1 Like

Re: Teenagers Launch Locally-made Rocket In Imo, Causing Confusion by goldenspoon: 5:35pm On Oct 09, 2013
this jonky witness the rocket launch

Re: Teenagers Launch Locally-made Rocket In Imo, Causing Confusion by chykeo1(m): 5:36pm On Oct 09, 2013
kaeyame: I just had to laugh when I read this piece!
The whole place is becoming tense, such that any loud bang may lead to cardiac arrest.
The police chief sure handled this well!

The first position went to the team whose rocket went 10km...lol

1 Like

Re: Teenagers Launch Locally-made Rocket In Imo, Causing Confusion by Nobody: 5:36pm On Oct 09, 2013
My people are doing well.

4 Likes

Re: Teenagers Launch Locally-made Rocket In Imo, Causing Confusion by Jobig(m): 5:37pm On Oct 09, 2013
wait,Emekaa where is my eye glass.
Re: Teenagers Launch Locally-made Rocket In Imo, Causing Confusion by alhajimikehell(m): 5:37pm On Oct 09, 2013
Dey shld reli b encouraged sha...our leaders lo see vad one...na make dem day call demslef vampire na im dem know angry
Re: Teenagers Launch Locally-made Rocket In Imo, Causing Confusion by felzylix(m): 5:37pm On Oct 09, 2013
FG abeg get dem b4 boko haram ooo, they r very gud dangerous weapons
Re: Teenagers Launch Locally-made Rocket In Imo, Causing Confusion by Arysexy(m): 5:37pm On Oct 09, 2013
i will advice d parents, or d community these young scientists came from to quickly send them abroad, waiting for FG or national space development agency will be an effort in futility since they are frm the region meant to be supressed, ask the biafran scientists how they played politics with their technological prowess.

Kudos to them anyway.

14 Likes

Re: Teenagers Launch Locally-made Rocket In Imo, Causing Confusion by jimkramar: 5:38pm On Oct 09, 2013
JUST SITTING AND OBSERVING WITH A BOTTLE OF ZOBO wink

1 Like

Re: Teenagers Launch Locally-made Rocket In Imo, Causing Confusion by ichidodo: 5:39pm On Oct 09, 2013
Seems those who built the Ogbunigwe bombs of yore have been re-incarnated in these talented young uns......

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Indian Man Crushed To Death By An Elephant (Pix, Video) / Four-metre King Cobra Wrestled From Sewer In Thailand / What Kind Of Snake Is This?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.