Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,306 members, 7,808,037 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:06 AM

Brain Teaser 2: Right To Vote In The Us - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Brain Teaser 2: Right To Vote In The Us (1390 Views)

Buhari Does Not Have Right To Cut His Salary — Odinkalu / It’s Time To Vote Out ‘I Will Do President’ – Amaechi Blasts Jonathan / Brain Teaser 2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Brain Teaser 2: Right To Vote In The Us by my2cents(m): 4:12pm On Jun 07, 2006
Following up on my "first president of the US" trivia question, here is another:

The US constitution guarantees that people of color have the right to vote - True or False. Why?
Re: Brain Teaser 2: Right To Vote In The Us by hotangel2(f): 4:36pm On Jun 07, 2006
False.

Under the U.S constitution there are 7 articles. None of those articles talk about the right of black people to vote.
It was in one of the ammendments that black people were given the right to vote. The 15th ammendment if im right. or let me just say the 1870 ammendment.  cheesy
Re: Brain Teaser 2: Right To Vote In The Us by my2cents(m): 4:37pm On Jun 07, 2006
My bad hot-angel et al,

I was referring to the US constitution plus its ammendments. So the question still stands.

I will be taking answers for another 5 hours or so, so bring them on smiley
Re: Brain Teaser 2: Right To Vote In The Us by hotangel2(f): 4:41pm On Jun 07, 2006
Well the answer is now TRUE.

Cos the 1870 -- 15th ammendment (in the U.S Constitution) state that, the right of citizens to vote shall not be denied based on color, and race. i.e People of color can vote.
Re: Brain Teaser 2: Right To Vote In The Us by trumic(m): 5:59pm On Jun 07, 2006
you can vote as long as you are american, no one give a f##k.

cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Brain Teaser 2: Right To Vote In The Us by my2cents(m): 7:20pm On Jun 07, 2006
Alright guys, I am about to go for a meeting, so I will go ahead and answer the question. Hot-angel, this may be one for your much hated govt teacher smiley

The answer is false: The 15th amendment guarantees non-discrimination and not the right to vote.

I quote (section 1):
The right of citizens of the United States to vote shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any State on account of race, color, or previous condition of servitude.

Technically, no one has the right to vote in this country, but of course we all know who this was meant to protect wink

Look at it this way: If blacks had a right to vote, would there have been a need for the Voters Rights Act (VRA) of 1965? In other words, if the point of the constitution and its amendments was to protect citizens from government, would there have been a need for the VRA nearly 100 years later in the first place?

I hope I clarified the issue. By the way, key portions of the VRA are due to expire in August 2007. Send a message to your congress person to let them know that those provisions need to be extended, at the very least, for life.

Expect another teaser tomorrow grin

Thanks,
Re: Brain Teaser 2: Right To Vote In The Us by OldGlory1(m): 7:29pm On Jun 07, 2006
My 2cents

Your Republicans better renew every part of the VRA. Tony Snow the other day could not define "Civil Rights". But i am confident Bush and his cronies are smart enough to understand what is at stake for their party.

My2cents are you a Dem? You have that conservative slant to your walk/talk. Too close to call huh? wink
Re: Brain Teaser 2: Right To Vote In The Us by my2cents(m): 7:33pm On Jun 07, 2006
Akan Ubong grin

As I stated in a prior thread, I am a blue-blooded conservative democrat. Maybe I should just say I am an independent. Basically, I am for max individual freedoms, but with a slight human touch.

Even if I were a republican (which today, you can't really tell the difference as to me, both parties are all the same), it shouldn't be a problem as we need pple on both sides of the aisle.

See, I like to see myself as the ordinary joe. I read a little here, a little there then I draw my own conclusions based on my independent reasoning. I am the kinda guy you go out drinking with (no beer though pls wink) and end up spending 10 hours as the conversation is never boring.

Howz that for size? LOL and u never answer the chocolate city question grin
Re: Brain Teaser 2: Right To Vote In The Us by OldGlory1(m): 7:45pm On Jun 07, 2006
I am a free thinking Liberal with a pinch of Conservatism, I love the environment and Love Guns. I always Vote the Person and not the Party. I Live in the"Original Chocolate City, USA" .(Draw your own conclusions)

Itaa Etit do you copy?
Re: Brain Teaser 2: Right To Vote In The Us by my2cents(m): 7:49pm On Jun 07, 2006
At this point Old Glory, am thinkin' DC cool
Re: Brain Teaser 2: Right To Vote In The Us by OldGlory1(m): 8:46pm On Jun 07, 2006
How about Detroit? Your guess is as wild as mine!

Visit Chocolate City USA Anyday, scream Old Glory at the top of your lungs, and i will show you around my city.
Re: Brain Teaser 2: Right To Vote In The Us by SeanT21(f): 12:24am On Jun 28, 2008
Choclate City is also call DC.
Re: Brain Teaser 2: Right To Vote In The Us by naijadiva2(f): 4:12am On Jun 28, 2008
SeanT21:

Choclate City is also call DC.

don't forget Drama city.

(1) (Reply)

Obasanjo Goes Back To School / Odi Militant Leader Killed In Shoot-out / Ooni Of Ife Blesses Femi Fani-kayode

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.