Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,894 members, 7,806,616 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 07:08 PM

Do U Use Or Know About Nodejs? Come In Please? - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Do U Use Or Know About Nodejs? Come In Please? (1085 Views)

Javascript With NodeJS / Nodejs Viable In Nigeria ? / Which One Do U Use For Internet Browsing Zoom,multilinks,starcom,mtn? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do U Use Or Know About Nodejs? Come In Please? by CODEEATER(m): 3:53pm On Oct 09, 2013
Don't want to talk much I'll go straight to the point...I've been thinking of creating some huge to work in real time,kinda like a chat app...
I came across nodejs in my search for a technology I can use for such a task, I have read a lot of stuff about it but I don't get it..

Where exactly does it run?

On the server or the clients browser?

I saw something like an installer for different platforms... is it like an app or what?

Some one please help me understand cry
Re: Do U Use Or Know About Nodejs? Come In Please? by farouqzaib: 4:20pm On Oct 09, 2013
Just think of it like this. Instead of writing your backend(server-side) code in Java/Python or whatever, you write it in JS. The code(JS) runs on your server, it handles POSTs, GETs and spits HTML and whatever else is needed.

It's basically a framework for writing JS on the server.

I hope I helped, it's been a while since I played with it.
Re: Do U Use Or Know About Nodejs? Come In Please? by CODEEATER(m): 4:44pm On Oct 09, 2013
Then wat does an installer have to do?

I was initially expecting maybe a huge is file or a bunch of them that we can just place in our server directories n include dem like any oda js library... take jqyery for instance, just 1 js file embeded into the HTML document via script tags..

I just don't understand d whole thing...

Am also seeing stuff done on command line like

" $ node hello.js "....

Wat d hell does a command line have to do with it....

Just getting more confusing
Re: Do U Use Or Know About Nodejs? Come In Please? by farouqzaib: 4:56pm On Oct 09, 2013
You should look at this, if you haven't done so already. http://www.nodebeginner.org/
Re: Do U Use Or Know About Nodejs? Come In Please? by Nobody: 3:50pm On Oct 10, 2013
NodeJS is JS Server Side written in C++ (i think) which uses the Google V8 Engine, unlike Apache NodeJS is really low level meaning you practically write your own HTTP Server from scratch unlike PHP,ASP.NET it runs on a single thread where Apache spawns multiple threads per request Node uses a Single thread, and uses the Asynchronous way of handling task, meaning a function is triggered and it doesn't wait for the result so that means you must be familiar with the concept of Callbacks,Callback Functions and passing of functions as Callbacks in a parameter, NodeJS is command line when you create a NodeJS HTTP Server the command runs and listens to the port and fetches your request and your response, because you code you wrote does a simple operation it simple executes and returns the result to the console just as PHP CLI would. NodeJS is superb for I/O bound Applications mening applications that handle lot of concurrent applications like Socket and Real Time Data stuff. My best part about node is that it allows you to expose C++ objects/programs to JavaScript so you can have a Arduino exposed to NodeJS and have a different type of website such as a website that reads input from a Xbox 360 pad there's a project like that already, however it applies because it communicates with your computer i doubt that would work for a general purpose because it would mean having that installed on the server(not sure). but Nodejs is dope visit dailyjs for more Node info. @farouq my bro whats good yo ?

(i might have written some BS so pls feel free to ridicule if found wrong)

1 Like

Re: Do U Use Or Know About Nodejs? Come In Please? by farouqzaib: 7:53pm On Oct 10, 2013
I'm good bro. I was wondering when you would chip in.
Re: Do U Use Or Know About Nodejs? Come In Please? by curiouslad(m): 11:56pm On Oct 10, 2013
pc guru: NodeJS is JS Server Side written in C++ (i think) which uses the Google V8 Engine, unlike Apache NodeJS is really low level meaning you practically write your own HTTP Server from scratch unlike PHP,ASP.NET it runs on a single thread where Apache spawns multiple threads per request Node uses a Single thread, and uses the Asynchronous way of handling task, meaning a function is triggered and it doesn't wait for the result so that means you must be familiar with the concept of Callbacks,Callback Functions and passing of functions as Callbacks in a parameter, NodeJS is command line when you create a NodeJS HTTP Server the command runs and listens to the port and fetches your request and your response, because you code you wrote does a simple operation it simple executes and returns the result to the console just as PHP CLI would. NodeJS is superb for I/O bound Applications mening applications that handle lot of concurrent applications like Socket and Real Time Data stuff. [b]My best part about node is that it allows you to expose C++ objects/programs to JavaScript so you can have a Arduino exposed to NodeJS and have a different typ[/b]e of website such as a website that reads input from a Xbox 360 pad there's a project like that already, however it applies because it communicates with your computer i doubt that would work for a general purpose because it would mean having that installed on the server(not sure). but Nodejs is dope visit dailyjs for more Node info. @farouq my bro whats good yo ?

(i might have written some BS so pls feel free to ridicule if found wrong)

There is actually a microcontroller here tessel.io that runs nodejs directly - it compiles to lua i think.. -

The way javascript is going ehn....
Re: Do U Use Or Know About Nodejs? Come In Please? by wisemania(m): 5:04am On Oct 11, 2013
quietly watching.......
Re: Do U Use Or Know About Nodejs? Come In Please? by CODEEATER(m): 6:49am On Oct 11, 2013
JavaScript is a full programming language na just like ur c++ and Java... but its mainly used within the context of a browser...

Well...not any more...this nodejs has changed wat pple think abt it..
Re: Do U Use Or Know About Nodejs? Come In Please? by Nobody: 8:19am On Oct 11, 2013
Sorry I disgree javascript is nothing like C++, Node/V8 is C++ that executes to JavaScript just like Rhino. C++ is a beast
Re: Do U Use Or Know About Nodejs? Come In Please? by CODEEATER(m): 8:49am On Oct 11, 2013
Lol...no na c++ is the abraham of programming na...cant b compaired with javascript..

but m jst saying javascript is a "complete" programming language
Re: Do U Use Or Know About Nodejs? Come In Please? by Nobody: 11:50am On Oct 11, 2013
oh sorry i mis-read that yeah it is now you can even create apps for SmartTvs using JavaScript now dope.
Re: Do U Use Or Know About Nodejs? Come In Please? by Nobody: 12:32pm On Oct 11, 2013
it'd be cool if we had a NodeJS thread cuz to be frank am not that indepth with it, this will be an opportunity to share and learn stuffs
Re: Do U Use Or Know About Nodejs? Come In Please? by CODEEATER(m): 3:19pm On Oct 11, 2013
Starting thread now
Re: Do U Use Or Know About Nodejs? Come In Please? by CODEEATER(m): 4:56pm On Oct 11, 2013

(1) (Reply)

My Company Need A C++. A Must Watch Video!! / Workflow Developer Needed Urgently / Vacancy At Procrea8 Technology Solutions Limited

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.