Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,021 members, 7,803,424 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 03:57 PM

Senators Call For Resignation Of Stella Oduah - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Senators Call For Resignation Of Stella Oduah (21879 Views)

Enugu Massacre: South-East Senators Call For Emergency SE/SS Summit / PDP Senators Call For Release Of Rivers Re-run Polls Result / PDP Chairman Tender Letter For Resignation [Unconfirmed] (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Senators Call For Resignation Of Stella Oduah by Nobody: 12:38am On Oct 10, 2013
Senators yesterday called for the resignation of the Minister of Aviation Princess Stella Oduah, citing frequent air crashes under her watch.

They said Nigeria had witnessed a record of seven fatal air mishaps with two averted within the last two and a half years.
The senators were speaking on a motion on last week’s crash of Associated Airlines aircraft in Lagos which killed 13 people. Two others died later in hospital.

Deputy Senate President Ike Ekweremadu said, “In sane places when things happen people take responsibility and resign. Others commit suicide for the failure of their subordinates.”

Senator SmartAdeyemi (PDP, Kogi) said investigation he conducted in Lagos for three days revealed that the aircraft was on a “test flight” which was why there were many aircraft engineers onboard.

“Somebody might have thought of making quick money. Some times in this chamber we must speak the truth. Corruption is responsible for the air crashes in Nigeria,” he said

Senator Oluremi Tinubu (ACN, Lagos) said it was irresponsible of the minister to frighten Nigerians that accidents were inevitable.
“Why should she say so? It’s scaring. Does that mean that each time we travel we will be afraid? This should be investigated and we should stop playing politics with the lives of people and address the issues.”

Senator Jibrilla Mohammed Bindo (PDP, Adamawa), said it was embarrassing for the aviation minister to say that air mishaps are inevitable because “she doesn’t know what it takes to be a minister, she should resign”.

Senator Adamu Ibrahim Gumba (PDP, Bauchi) who also argued that Oduah has no business remaining in office after witnessing seven air crashes under her tenure as a minister.
Senator Olu Adetumbi (APC, Ekiti) said, “It is time to speak the truth to power because we are tired of this obscene media propaganda about achievements in the sector just to promote the government and the minister while we keep having crashes every day.

Physical infrastructure is a good thing but that is not a good reform, rug carpets and tiles do not make the reform of aviation, it has to do with the people who manage the sector and the procedures.”

Senator Ita Enang (PDP, Akwa Ibom) said, “She concentrated on the infrastructure and the aesthetic of the airports and not on quality and standards of aircrafts flying which is given the least attention. They are more interested in awarding contracts, it’s good to have tiles, granites and marbles, flashy flat screens and new roofs but is that what aviation is all about?”

However, Senator Abubakar Bukola Saraki (PDP, Kwara), said the greatest respect the Senate can give to those who lost their lives in the air crash is to prevent such from happening again by holding those responsible accountable.

Senator Joshua Dariye (LP, Plateau), reminded his colleagues that they threw out a bill he sponsored which sought to compel the president to nominate ministers with their portfolio which would have ensured that only experts and professionals in aviation are appointed as ministers but not accountants.

The Senate mandated the aviation committee to investigate the crash as well as to summon the minister for questioning.
The Minister’s office however said yesterday it was not aware the Senate was calling for her resignation.

The minister’s S.A Media Joe Obi told Daily Trust on phone, “The one I am aware is that she should appear in plenary before them, I am not aware of the call for her resignation, I am aware that at plenary they made some comments. I cannot comment on that.

http://dailytrust.info/index.php/top-stories/7222-senators-call-for-resignation-of-aviation-minister

1 Like

Re: Senators Call For Resignation Of Stella Oduah by Peinstein: 12:57am On Oct 10, 2013
Glad she is being summoned. Reform is not about change or uplift of physical infrastructure. Just as changing police uniforms or goldplating police stations wouldn't stop our police officers from taking bribes. She has done well in uplifting our airports, but she is the minister of aviation and not aesthetics. I will feel more assured with an oshodi-oke airport that enforces necessary safety standards and practices than one which houses decent flying coffins.

19 Likes

Re: Senators Call For Resignation Of Stella Oduah by hardniola(m): 1:15am On Oct 10, 2013
yes i support!
Sack her now now now now nownow.

3 Likes

Re: Senators Call For Resignation Of Stella Oduah by Sec5(m): 1:42am On Oct 10, 2013
Calling for her resignition is not the best thing to do now.She should be encouraged to focus on safety now she has achieved a feat in aesthetics.Reason being that majority of ex-aviation ministers neither made any impact on infrastructural upgrading of the airports nor guaranteed air safety.Now that we have someone who is able to perform in one aspect as attested to by the senators,let us encourage her to fix the safety issues

43 Likes

Re: Senators Call For Resignation Of Stella Oduah by DeLaRue: 2:48am On Oct 10, 2013
Has the country had one too many crashes under her watch? Yes
Has safety records improved under her? No
Does she have an answer or a plan to make things better? No, since she believes it's an act of a god.

These are the most important issues when assessing her competence as Aviation Minister. The fact previous aviation ministers were just as bad is irrelevant.

She is incompetent, and she should go now. But we know she wont. There's more petrol-dollar to be carted away. After all, wicked Deziani is still there, despite everything.

It's a big mess.

20 Likes

Re: Senators Call For Resignation Of Stella Oduah by naijaking1: 2:58am On Oct 10, 2013
Only s't'u.p*d people will act before investigation is completed. All these FFK cheer leaders who were calling for her head even before anything happened should zip it.

5 Likes

Re: Senators Call For Resignation Of Stella Oduah by ChimaAdeoye: 3:29am On Oct 10, 2013
[size=15pt]All these useless Yoruba/ APC bigots.

In all of Nigeria's history even when Ministers like Fani Kayode licensed planes for their girlfriends to fly airline businesses, when was an Aviation Minister ever asked to resign because of an aircrash? But because Madam Stella Oduah is Igbo, now she must resign,even when NCAA and not the minister is responsible for licensing planes.

If they are not doing their campaign of calumny against Dr. Okonjo Iweala,it will be against Diezani K. Alison-Madueke or Stella Otti.

Why not ask Omobola Johnson, Navy Capt. Caleb Olubolade, Mrs. Olajumoke Akinjide, Akinwumi Adeshina and Olusegun Aganga to resign for their lacklustre performance in government?

Anyhow, like Okonjo Iweala told them recently " I serve at the pleasure of the President who appointed me and who shall relieve me of the appointment when my performance falls below his expectation" Simply put, SORRY, I WILL NOT RESIGN FOR SHAMELESS TRIBALISTS AND BIGOTS!
[/size] grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

92 Likes

Re: Senators Call For Resignation Of Stella Oduah by naijaking1: 3:41am On Oct 10, 2013
^^^^^
Thank you

3 Likes

Re: Senators Call For Resignation Of Stella Oduah by fkaz(m): 3:49am On Oct 10, 2013
Senator Ita Enang (PDP, Akwa Ibom)
said, “She concentrated on the
infrastructure and the aesthetic of the
airports and not on quality and
standards of aircrafts flying which is
given the least attention. They are more
interested in awarding contracts, it’s
good to have tiles, granites and marbles,
flashy flat screens and new roofs but is
that what aviation is all about?”.

With all the talk on airport remodelling by insincere 9geria and co

1 Like

Re: Senators Call For Resignation Of Stella Oduah by Tolexander: 5:27am On Oct 10, 2013
naijaking1: Only s't'u.p*d people will act before investigation is completed. All these FFK cheer leaders who were calling for her head even before anything happened should zip it.
why did the minister of aviation have to go on air before investigation to say air crash is inevitable and will of God?

14 Likes

Re: Senators Call For Resignation Of Stella Oduah by 3ace(m): 5:37am On Oct 10, 2013
Senator SmartAdeyemi (PDP, Kogi) said investigation he conducted in Lagos for three days revealed that the aircraft was on a “test flight” which was why there were many aircraft engineers onboard. “Somebody might have thought of making quick money. Some times in this chamber we must speak the truth. Corruption is responsible for the air crashes in Nigeria,” he said
If this investigation is anything to go by, then I would say it is shameful. And to those defending her, her administration has experienced too many air mishaps and saying accidents are inevitable occurrences is like a case of "pesin wey dem wan roast wey dey rub oil for body. Is like accusing Toyota of a defect in their car involved in an accident. It will be extremely shameful and disappointing for them to be defensive by using the minister's remark instead of taking full responsibility and assuring the public that they will correct the defects and make sure it never reoccures again. I can only imagine what the victims' families will do to her if they were beside her when she uttered those words.

3 Likes

Re: Senators Call For Resignation Of Stella Oduah by Nobody: 6:47am On Oct 10, 2013
Chima_Adeoye: [size=15pt]All these useless Yoruba/ APC bigots.

In all of Nigeria's history even when Ministers like Fani Kayode licensed planes for their girlfriends to fly airline businesses, when was an Aviation Minister ever asked to resign because of an aircrash? But because Madam Stella Oduah is Igbo, now she must resign,even when NCAA and not the minister is responsible for licensing planes.

If they are not doing their campaign of calumny against Dr. Okonjo Iweala,it will be against Diezani K. Alison-Madueke or Stella Otti.

Why not ask Omobola Johnson, Navy Capt. Caleb Olubolade, Mrs. Olajumoke Akinjide, Akinwumi Adeshina and Olusegun Aganga to resign for their lacklustre performance in government?

Anyhow, like Okonjo Iweala told them recently " I serve at the pleasure of the President who appointed me and who shall relieve me of the appointment when my performance falls below his expectation" Simply put, SORRY, I WILL NOT RESIGN FOR SHAMELESS TRIBALISTS AND BIGOTS!
pls.let us not deviate from the issue by bringin tribal/religious differences..............the majority of if not all tht died in the recent crash happend to be yorubas, but dts not the rizin y she shld resign, stella shld resign bcs of her incapality,puttin it on GOD is irresponsible!

We dnt care if she is yoruba/igbo/hausa ,ol we wnt is a person who can do the job

41 Likes

Re: Senators Call For Resignation Of Stella Oduah by Ngwakwe: 7:13am On Oct 10, 2013
Stop this unbiased claim, my foot. Every statement in Nairaland has its tribal angles and so is the National Assembly.

The question should be if protocols were breached by who and from whose office then to the top.

Did Stella Odua change the Safety guidelines put in place by her predecessors, whose function is it to implement and enforce those guidelines, did somebody in NCAA sidelined safety regulations to favour AA etc?

Without through investigation on what happened and who and who neglected their duties. All these blames and counter blames are political as well as tribal-istic

dmalam:
pls.let us not deviate from the issue by bringin tribal/religious differences..............the majority of if not all tht died in the recent crash happend to be yorubas, but dts not the rizin y she shld resign, stella shld resign bcs of her incapality,puttin it on GOD is irresponsible!

We dnt care if she is yoruba/igbo/hausa ,ol we wnt is a person who can do the job

17 Likes

Re: Senators Call For Resignation Of Stella Oduah by SLIDEwaxie(m): 7:17am On Oct 10, 2013
if it were to be in the developed world, the statement:

'Plane crashes are inevitable' should got her jobless and facing the firing squad!!!

By the way, like stella like diezani, no one can sack jonathan's mistress!!

3 Likes

Re: Senators Call For Resignation Of Stella Oduah by Ngwakwe: 7:29am On Oct 10, 2013
Stop this misinformation and drop your tribal lens.

If so, why didn't Mrs Clinton and Susan Rice resign after all their failures, lies and complicity in the death of Ambassador Stevens plus three others

Stella Odua is responsible for what she said and not for your bigoted and political interpretation of what she meant.

SLIDE waxie: if it were to be in the developed world, the statement:

'Plane crashes are inevitable' should got her jobless and facing the firing squad!!!

By the way, like stella like diezani, no one can sack jonathan's mistress!!

14 Likes

Re: Senators Call For Resignation Of Stella Oduah by Nobody: 7:29am On Oct 10, 2013
By now, the senators should have known that Mr president ll never sack any incompetent/under performing minister/public officeholder from the side of his south; especially when that minister turn out to be a woman. Petrol, Aviation minister and NSE M.D-unsackable. Fmr edu. minister and fmr appeal court president-easily dispensable!

2 Likes

Re: Senators Call For Resignation Of Stella Oduah by Nobody: 7:38am On Oct 10, 2013
Fine
Re: Senators Call For Resignation Of Stella Oduah by luvmijeje(f): 7:39am On Oct 10, 2013
Am I the only one that read that 7 air mishaps occured under her watch? And some people still have the effrontery to play the tribal cards.
I don't blame her since those we elected don't have a clue on how to run a country.

6 Likes

Re: Senators Call For Resignation Of Stella Oduah by Nobody: 7:51am On Oct 10, 2013
Oga Jona Cannot Sack Madam Stella and Madam Deziani.

Una want Konjivitis to wound am?

grin

Abeg Second Base Jare......
Re: Senators Call For Resignation Of Stella Oduah by Symphony007: 8:06am On Oct 10, 2013
Chima_Adeoye: [size=15pt]All these useless Yoruba/ APC bigots.

before you decend into your tribal demeanor. Note that the first person to call for her resignation is eke ekweremadu. The deputy senate president and a fellow igbo.

38 Likes

Re: Senators Call For Resignation Of Stella Oduah by Ngwakwe: 8:29am On Oct 10, 2013
You see, sometimes people like Ekweremadu will ingratiate oneself with someone by making obscene statement.

It all politics, he tends to projecting a false principle as unbiased leader but can never try it with Aganga or any Yoruba or Hausa minister.

Symphony007: before you decend into your tribal demeanor. Note that the first person to call for her resignation is eke ekweremadu. The deputy senate president and a fellow igbo.

5 Likes

Re: Senators Call For Resignation Of Stella Oduah by donphilopus: 9:21am On Oct 10, 2013
I'm laughing at most of the comments, GEJ would not sack her, simply because she happens to be on his side.
If she were to be an afficionado of the nPDP, she would have been sacked by now.
NB: GEJ is not concerned about who does the work well, but he's concerned about who supports him

3 Likes

Re: Senators Call For Resignation Of Stella Oduah by oduaboy1: 9:39am On Oct 10, 2013
Symphony007: before you decend into your tribal demeanor. Note that the first person to call for her resignation is eke ekweremadu. The deputy senate president and a fellow igbo.
The foolish bigot is too stupid to see that,When the education minister was sacked it was because of incompetency,now that stella oduah is being asked to resign it's because everyone hates ibo,majority of ibo posters on nairalnad reason with their brain stuck in their butt.

18 Likes

Re: Senators Call For Resignation Of Stella Oduah by SterlingTowers(m): 9:47am On Oct 10, 2013
Ngwakwe: Stop this misinformation and drop your tribal lens.

If so, why didn't Mrs Clinton and Susan Rice resign after all their failures, lies and complicity in the death of Ambassador Stevens plus three others

Stella Odua is responsible for what she said and not for your bigoted and political interpretation of what she meant.

Compare likes with likes, after the crash instead of her to zip it, she did not, she had to scare people with her inevitability of airplanes mishaps. Failure is not the same thing with negligence.

1 Like

Re: Senators Call For Resignation Of Stella Oduah by Ngwakwe: 9:47am On Oct 10, 2013
Let me borrow the exact words of Octopus;

Did you not read that the pilot and engineers conspired and connived to fly that plane so they could make quick cash? How is that a dent on Stella Oduah? You mean she should have been at the airport to check every plane taking off? Or you think she was the one that approved the flight?

odua boy: The foolish bigot is too stupid to see that,When the education minister was sacked it was because of incompetency,now that stella oduah is being asked to resign it's because everyone hates ibo,majority of ibo posters on nairalnad reason with their brain stuck in their butt.

1 Like

Re: Senators Call For Resignation Of Stella Oduah by johndwayy(m): 9:55am On Oct 10, 2013
Exactly wot ffk has been saying... Simply put, the minister is irresponsible and incapable of discharging her duties...
Re: Senators Call For Resignation Of Stella Oduah by Nobody: 9:59am On Oct 10, 2013
Ngwakwe: You see, sometimes people like Ekweremadu will ingratiate oneself with someone by making obscene statement.

It all politics, he tends to projecting a false principle as unbiased leader but can never try it with Aganga or any Yoruba or Hausa minister.

I am highly disappointed at your comments. I can't believe you and some other Igbo bigots will be so tribalisitc about the appointment of Stella Oduah as minister. You should know on records that Igbos have lost more lives in the air crash than any other ethnic group during her tenure. The Dana air crash is a perfect example. What do you say about that? Not because you didn't lose a loved one in any of the crash makes you care less about those who did. Sentiments aside, Stella should be fired immediately and another competent fellow be appointed. I don't really give a damn where the new minister should come from.All we want is no more crashes and loss of lives.

11 Likes

Re: Senators Call For Resignation Of Stella Oduah by Fazhy: 10:07am On Oct 10, 2013
She should not have made that statement.

Re: Senators Call For Resignation Of Stella Oduah by rockbase360: 10:08am On Oct 10, 2013
Deputy Senate President Ike Ekweremadu said, “In sane places when things happen people take responsibility and resign. Others commit suicide for the failure of their subordinates.”

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Senators Call For Resignation Of Stella Oduah by johndwayy(m): 10:09am On Oct 10, 2013
berem: I am highly disappointed at your comments. I can't believe you and some other Igbo bigots will be so tribalisitc about the appointment of Stella Oduah as minister. You should know on records that Igbos have lost more lives in the air crash than any other ethnic group during her tenure. The Dana air crash is a perfect example. What do you say about that? Not because you didn't lose a loved one in any of the crash makes you care less about those who did. Sentiments aside, Stella should be fired immediately and another competent fellow be appointed. I don't really give a damn where the new minister should come from.All we want is no more crashes and loss of lives.
berem: I am highly disappointed at your comments. I can't believe you and some other Igbo bigots will be so tribalisitc about the appointment of Stella Oduah as minister. You should know on records that Igbos have lost more lives in the air crash than any other ethnic group during her tenure. The Dana air crash is a perfect example. What do you say about that? Not because you didn't lose a loved one in any of the crash makes you care less about those who did. Sentiments aside, Stella should be fired immediately and another competent fellow be appointed. I don't really give a damn where the new minister should come from.All we want is no more crashes and loss of lives.

some people can be very funny... A minister is negligent, doesn't know how to talk, irresponsible and awkward, and people here in nairaland are trying to play tribalism with the issue..... Maybe probably wen u lose a relative from plane crash dat u wud realise the enormity of the situation @ hand

2 Likes

Re: Senators Call For Resignation Of Stella Oduah by gregg2: 10:09am On Oct 10, 2013
Can somebody list out the so called seven fatal plane crashes?
I only know of Dana and the recent Associated crashes and maybe the helicopter crash that killed Ywakowa.

Besides, the job of ensuring safety is that of the NCAA. Capt Fola Akin should be sacked first.

12 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

The Deplorable State Of Lagos Federal Secretariat Ikoyi - Exclusive Photos / Fayose: I Read The Bible Every Night When Everyone Has Left / Sahara Reporters Omoyele Sowore Barred From Leaving Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.