Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,310 members, 7,808,044 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:38 AM

Do Online Job Applications Ever Work? - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Do Online Job Applications Ever Work? (16605 Views)

Graduates Job Applications At Julius Berger Nigeria Plc(numerous Positions) / The Horrible Truth About Online Job Applications. / Mistakes Job Seekers Make While Posting CVS For Job Applications. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do Online Job Applications Ever Work? by GeneralShepherd(m): 2:21am On Oct 10, 2013
Today will be my one year anniversary of temporary stay at home job(lol) after NYSC, in this one year I send out an average of 5 job applications a day not to talk of the ones i sent out during my youth service. that is roughly about 1500 job applications all online.

I have had only written 6 tests invites 2 online and 4 others at dragnet. In the 6, I made it to the interview stage on four of these occassions but was not hired anyway.

(I know I should have passed all six and made all interviews but i simply couldn't, though I keep working on improving my interview skills and aptitude test abilities)

But my question is do online job applications work? If yes how can i make my job applications more effective?

If no, please kindly tell me the alternatives because Owu wan kill me for here....

Mods please can this topic get to the front-page so I can sample different opinions... thanks

1 Like

Re: Do Online Job Applications Ever Work? by GeneralShepherd(m): 8:31am On Oct 10, 2013
Front-page please mods

1 Like

Re: Do Online Job Applications Ever Work? by DMainMan: 8:45am On Oct 10, 2013
It works. Please persevere and keep on. Dont give up.

1 Like

Re: Do Online Job Applications Ever Work? by GeneralShepherd(m): 8:47am On Oct 10, 2013
DMainMan: It works. Please persevere and keep on. Dont give up.

Thanks DmainMan, how can I refine my application?
Re: Do Online Job Applications Ever Work? by DMainMan: 9:02am On Oct 10, 2013
GeneralShepherd:

Thanks DmainMan, how can I refine my application?

Send me your CV and cover letter to my mail. Lets c if we can improve it to b mor enterprising.

1 Like

Re: Do Online Job Applications Ever Work? by pweetytonie(f): 9:08am On Oct 10, 2013
Always restructure ur Cv to suit the job u are applying for dnt use one cv to apply for a secreatry and a customer care agent or a marketer or teacher...and always send ur cv with a cover letter well written cover letter and most importantly pray and believe in God

2 Likes

Re: Do Online Job Applications Ever Work? by InesQor(m): 9:41am On Oct 10, 2013
Sigh.

First off, I'll say make sure you start something for yourself while you seek a job. Pick up IT skills (many free resources online), be a marketing middleman (identify a demand and someone who supplies efficiently, and step in the middle), etc.

I say this because in my understanding Nigeria is a peculiar job scene. Jobs are scarce yet most of the extant ones are grossly underpaid. The exceptions are multinational companies and some professional careers.

On the other hand, seeking a job, dont only post applications online. Get around physically, it will cost some money but it will pay off. Dress nicely and go around to offices, dropping your CV and a cover letter identifying what you think you can do for the company. These so-called cold calls work really well in Nigeria.

I heard from an HR Audit professional (a friend) that some companies post job listings online but they are technologically backward so the CVs submitted there just pile up and the HR is lazy to sort through.

To your success!

3 Likes

Re: Do Online Job Applications Ever Work? by GeneralShepherd(m): 10:07am On Oct 10, 2013
InesQor: Sigh.

First off, I'll say make sure you start something for yourself while you seek a job. Pick up IT skills (many free resources online), be a marketing middleman (identify a demand and someone who supplies efficiently, and step in the middle), etc.

I say this because in my understanding Nigeria is a peculiar job scene. Jobs are scarce yet most of the extant ones are grossly underpaid. The exceptions are multinational companies and some professional careers.

On the other hand, seeking a job, dont only post applications online. Get around physically, it will cost some money but it will pay off. Dress nicely and go around to offices, dropping your CV and a cover letter identifying what you think you can do for the company. These so-called cold calls work really well in Nigeria.

I heard from an HR Audit professional (a friend) that some companies post job listings online but they are technologically backward so the CVs submitted there just pile up and the HR is lazy to sort through.

To your success!

Thanks Bro...very apt advice
Re: Do Online Job Applications Ever Work? by GeneralShepherd(m): 10:09am On Oct 10, 2013
pweety_tonie: Always restructure ur Cv to suit the job u are applying for dnt use one cv to apply for a secreatry and a customer care agent or a marketer or teacher...and always send ur cv with a cover letter well written cover letter and most importantly pray and believe in God

But I always restructure my cv and even add keywords to get through the online application software. Just sad

Thanks for the advice
Re: Do Online Job Applications Ever Work? by GeneralShepherd(m): 10:10am On Oct 10, 2013
DMainMan:

Send me your CV and cover letter to my mail. Lets c if we can improve it to b mor enterprising.

I'll send you a pm now.thanks
Re: Do Online Job Applications Ever Work? by davide470(m): 11:50am On Oct 10, 2013
1. Before i say more, what did u study?
2. Have never fancied the idea of Cover letter.. U can imagine a recruiter having 1,500 CV to go through, and you are nw adding Cover letter..
There are some free UK CV assessment site.. U send them ur CV, and they grade it with corrections.. Google them out, they have helped me
Re: Do Online Job Applications Ever Work? by GeneralShepherd(m): 11:59am On Oct 10, 2013
davide470: 1. Before i say more, what did u study?
2. Have never fancied the idea of Cover letter.. U can imagine a recruiter having 1,500 CV to go through, and you are nw adding Cover letter..
There are some free UK CV assessment site.. U send them ur CV, and they grade it with corrections.. Google them out, they have helped me

I studied Electrical and electronics engineering (2.1) B.Eng hons...(Lol)

Okay I will do just that, I have about 600 painstakingly written cover letters and I now vary my template according to the job and recruiter. I take my time on every application I make.

I will check out the websites thank you for dropping your comments.
Re: Do Online Job Applications Ever Work? by funkybaby(f): 1:46pm On Oct 10, 2013
yes, online applications do work.

to have had 4 interviews and not had success in at least one means your interview skills are really, really poor.

that is what you need to work on and polish.

the job market is very competitive so every opportunity counts.

it pointless getting shortlisted for the final stage so many times and then messing up.

have you tried practising in front of a mirror before attending an interview?

practice interview questions out loud and make sure you record an audio of yourself while at it. then play it back ... it will give you an idea how good/confident/rubbish you sound to potential interviewers and that way, you know what you need to work on.

also do 'mock' interview sessions with a friend/experienced colleague and have the person grill you and give you honest feedback on your performance.

4 Likes

Re: Do Online Job Applications Ever Work? by famora(m): 1:48pm On Oct 10, 2013
DMainMan:

i will also love to see what you come up with, i also want to know how to develop a "go get the job " C.V
Re: Do Online Job Applications Ever Work? by ajayikayod: 1:49pm On Oct 10, 2013
Can i kno ur present location:-state?
Re: Do Online Job Applications Ever Work? by rammytt(m): 1:51pm On Oct 10, 2013
GeneralShepherd:

I studied Electrical and electronics engineering (2.1) B.Eng hons...(Lol)

Okay I will do just that, I have about 600 painstakingly written cover letters and I now vary my template according to the job and recruiter. I take my time on every application I make.

I will check out the websites thank you for dropping your comments.

u don't mean it 2.1 in EEE and u r stil out there for ova a yr looking for a job..did u finish frm zamfara state?

1 Like

Re: Do Online Job Applications Ever Work? by solid3(m): 1:53pm On Oct 10, 2013
Yes it works. 1 out of every 1000 works. You may just b d lucky one.
Re: Do Online Job Applications Ever Work? by Okonkwosamuel(m): 1:54pm On Oct 10, 2013
Have never gotten a call up since i started sendin my cv online but i think i works for some people cus not everybody will be called up.

1 Like

Re: Do Online Job Applications Ever Work? by Fazhy: 1:55pm On Oct 10, 2013
Big question?

Re: Do Online Job Applications Ever Work? by Rejoice5000(f): 1:57pm On Oct 10, 2013
it maybe working 4 some but to me its not real cos even half never worked ones.
Re: Do Online Job Applications Ever Work? by BlackPeni5: 2:01pm On Oct 10, 2013
I got all my jobs online...two very good jobs
Re: Do Online Job Applications Ever Work? by Tinkybabe(f): 2:02pm On Oct 10, 2013
Your paper qualification looks attractive and so I want to assume you're not being shortlisted due to lack of experience.I can imagine you saying where would the experience come from when they are not ready to recruit you.

That's where sacrifice comes in-if it means working voluntarily to garner the required experience or settling(in the mean time) for a low pay job that would gratify the needed experience,then do it.

Your poise and responses to interview questions matter too,how convincing you sound that you're the man for the job.Attend seminars,read books that would help improve these skills.

Also develop other transferable skills (you know them)that would give you an edge over your counterparts-don't rely on your paper degree alone.

And to your question,Yes!online applications very much work.

All the best with your search.

2 Likes

Re: Do Online Job Applications Ever Work? by AK481(m): 2:04pm On Oct 10, 2013
Op you dont know anybody?

Well,u av a n'ice cv,for the fact that u re been shortlisted for some test.u re smart atleast you ve passed some test and qualify for the interview stage.

The truth is that most people are lucky wen it comes to mass recruitment(fg n'co )and the brilliant guys scale thru,eg the tcn recent recruitment of 500 engineers.
Aside mass opportunity like this,it is like a camel passing thru the eyes of a needle,bt it is not impossible!

I wish you luck,just keep telling people abt ur situation and the help will come.simple!

1 Like

Re: Do Online Job Applications Ever Work? by vladimiros: 2:04pm On Oct 10, 2013
Op do u have a skill?

If nit go learn one
Re: Do Online Job Applications Ever Work? by hariorh: 2:04pm On Oct 10, 2013
They work alright. And don't be down because u were not called. There is still hope because most of these companies reserve the CVs of those who attend their interviews. In case there is an opening for that job position u applied for, they will most likely call those who did (passed) their tests and interview rather than starting recruitment cycle all over again. All hope is not lost. Just get busy with something else for the mean time, do good and always give thanks to whoever it is u serve no matter what... it helps a lot....

grin

1 Like

Re: Do Online Job Applications Ever Work? by 2busy: 2:04pm On Oct 10, 2013
funkybaby: yes, online applications do work.

to have had 4 interviews and not had success in at least one means your interview skills are really, really poor.

that is what you need to work on and polish.

the job market is very competitive so every opportunity counts.

it pointless getting shortlisted to the final stage so many times and then messing up.

have you tried practising in front of a mirror before you attend an interview?

practice interview questions out loud and make sure you record an audio of yourself while at it. then play it back ... it will give you an idea how good/confident/rubbish you sound to potential interviewers and then that way, you know what you need to work on.

also do 'mock' interview sessions with a friend/experienced colleague and have the person grill you and give you honest feedback on your performance.

Very good response to this topic
In addition, while at home try your hands on other skills apart from your 2.1 in Elect engineering
Try and learn software like AutoCAD (Acompulsory software for all engineers), PDMS for cable tray routing, Intools for instrumentation etc, if you are intrested in oil and gas job.

try upload your cv in site like: oilandgasjobsearch, oilcareer, miningjobsearch totalcareer etc

Best of luck and don't give up

1 Like

Re: Do Online Job Applications Ever Work? by 25omega(m): 2:11pm On Oct 10, 2013
poster this is a good question. I personally do not believe it works. While i was searching for jobs in my area i sent out tons of applications on the monster.com, careerbuilder.com etc and no one ever called me back. the only people who called were the placement agencies that would place you in a temp job and collect fees from your pay.

The only thing that worked and has worked consistently has been craigslist. i don't know if this is available in Nigeria but it's a website where people post all sorts of things including jobs. It works because you can see posting by the day. meaning any post that was posted today, you can send application to and you know they are def looking for someone.

Those job sites will almost never update their data base and tons of people will apply for the same position. If you can find a site that posts jobs by the day you will do well. Also be willing to take a job that is not in your profession while you are looking for the right job. This way your skills and mental sharpness is not being wasted.
Re: Do Online Job Applications Ever Work? by imperiouxx(m): 2:15pm On Oct 10, 2013
GeneralShepherd: Today will be my one year anniversary of temporary stay at home job(lol) after NYSC, in this one year I send out an average of 5 job applications a day not to talk of the ones i sent out during my youth service. that is roughly about 1500 job applications all online.

I have had only written 6 tests invites 2 online and 4 others at dragnet. In the 6, I made it to the interview stage on four of these occassions but was not hired anyway.

(I know I should have passed all six and made all interviews but i simply couldn't, though I keep working on improving my interview skills and aptitude test abilities)

But my question is do online job applications work? If yes how can i make my job applications more effective?

If no, please kindly tell me the alternatives because Owu wan kill me for here....

Mods please can this topic get to the front-page so I can sample different opinions... thanks

@ sitting at home for one year part. If you are not lazy, get a teaching job in your area while you continue sending your applications. I'm sure there are many teaching jobs out there but everyone likes white collar job.

1 Like

Re: Do Online Job Applications Ever Work? by GeneralShepherd(m): 2:16pm On Oct 10, 2013
25omega: poster this is a good question. I personally do not believe it works. While i was searching for jobs in my area i sent out tons of applications on the monster.com, careerbuilder.com etc and no one ever called me back. the only people who called were the placement agencies that would place you in a temp job and collect fees from your pay.

The only thing that worked and has worked consistently has been craigslist. i don't know if this is available in Nigeria but it's a website where people post all sorts of things including jobs. It works because you can see posting by the day. meaning any post that was posted today, you can send application to and you know they are def looking for someone.

Those job sites will almost never update their data base and tons of people will apply for the same position. If you can find a site that posts jobs by the day you will do well. Also be willing to take a job that is not in your profession while you are looking for the right job. This way your skills and mental sharpness is not being wasted.

Thanks Man great advice!!!
Re: Do Online Job Applications Ever Work? by GeneralShepherd(m): 2:19pm On Oct 10, 2013
2busy:

Very good response to this topic
In addition, while at home try your hands on other skills apart from your 2.1 in Elect engineering
Try and learn software like AutoCAD (Acompulsory software for all engineers), PDMS for cable tray routing, Intools for instrumentation etc, if you are intrested in oil and gas job.

try upload your cv in site like: oilandgasjobsearch, oilcareer, miningjobsearch totalcareer etc

Best of luck and don't give up

Thank you, I already taught myself Autocad,to you have any place where I can learn PDMS and Intools? Online or offline..

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Odd 'jobs' You Did During NYSC / National Orientation Agency(noa) / 7up Nigeria Recruitment 2018

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.