Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,311 members, 7,808,050 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:56 AM

Labour To Strike If ASUU Issue Is Not Resolved - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Labour To Strike If ASUU Issue Is Not Resolved (15140 Views)

National Assembly Jumbo Salary: Labour To Shut Down The Economy / Impeachment: Labour To Shut Down Ekiti For Fayose As Group Writes CJN / NUPENG Threatens Strike If Petroleum Industrial Bill Isn't Passed Into Law (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Labour To Strike If ASUU Issue Is Not Resolved by MichaelSokoto(m): 3:50am On Oct 11, 2013
ASUU: ‘We’ll shut down Nigeria – Labour

Labour activist and General Secretary, National Union of Electricity Employees, NUEE, Joe Ajaero has given the Federal Government one week to resolve its differences with the Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) or cripple the country with the mother-of-all-strikes.

Ajaero who was speaking during the opening of a training workshop organized for labour leaders in Enugu, threatened to ally with other unions across the country to join ASUU on a solidarity stike if the impasse persists.

He said: “If ASUU issue is not addressed, we will shut this country alongside other unions. We will ally with other unions and make sure that nothing works in this country.”

Ajaero said government was being insensitive to the plight of Nigerian students because the children of the rich are studying outside the country.

“This is not a strike based on demand, it’s based on agreement. As government, you must honour your agreement. Here, there’s no social security, the price of food is high, the same goes for electricity tariff. We are going to join our children to stay at home and let them run the system,” he threatened.

The labour leader said that the time has come to bar public office holders form sending their children to schools abroad or travel overseas for free treatment, noting that not until then, will government take the various institutions serious and put things the way they should be.

Ajaero however, reassured electricity workers that the union would ensure that everybody receive their entitlements before the final handover to private investors and urged them to make good and judicious use of the money and not go on spending spree.

“They are playing politics with us but all we have told them is to give us our entitlements and we will handover tomorrow. They said before the end of this week; if we don’t see evidence of payment, we won’t handover.”

According to him, the workshop is to prepare them for better management of the funds through skill acquisitions and entrepreneurial skills and urged them to take the workshop serious.

http://sunnewsonline.com/new/cover/ASUU-well-shut-nigeria-labour/

5 Likes

Re: Labour To Strike If ASUU Issue Is Not Resolved by raytony: 4:13am On Oct 11, 2013
Abeg I dey una back. At least I no go go my PPA be that.

2 Likes

Re: Labour To Strike If ASUU Issue Is Not Resolved by Rejoice5000(f): 4:21am On Oct 11, 2013
one week wat?? students that graduated b4 the strike,all they fully employed now abeg they should continue the strike abeg.

3 Likes

Re: Labour To Strike If ASUU Issue Is Not Resolved by atlwireles: 4:27am On Oct 11, 2013
When will the father of all strike start. grin grin grin grin

5 Likes

Re: Labour To Strike If ASUU Issue Is Not Resolved by Tolexander: 4:28am On Oct 11, 2013
yeye people!
Obviously calling for attention so that the fg will call them and give them money not to carry out the threat.
They aren't meant to be taken serious!

4 Likes

Re: Labour To Strike If ASUU Issue Is Not Resolved by Wsdm: 4:36am On Oct 11, 2013
I hope they will not hijack the genuine ASUU strike and turn it to shambles as they did to fuel subsidy protest. They should leave ASUU do their own while they face the unfavorable conditions workers are facing. Wait a minute; have FG workers been paid their September salaries?

5 Likes

Re: Labour To Strike If ASUU Issue Is Not Resolved by wesley80(m): 4:39am On Oct 11, 2013
Chai, "Nigerian students" don suffer! Everybody, ASUU, NLC, Atiku, ACN and now NEPA is fighting for Nigerian students via their pockets! God dey.

2 Likes

Re: Labour To Strike If ASUU Issue Is Not Resolved by SLIDEwaxie(m): 4:46am On Oct 11, 2013
Some people are just senseless!!!
Whether they want to fight for their pockets or their bags, the truth is: they made just one good point in which we all have to support them. And the point is:

'The govt are not bothered abt you students because their children study abroad'

This is a matter that should make us all angry and not calling for the labour leader's head!

At least, if their threats go real, are they not clear abt wot they want? Is it for them or for ASSU? undecided

25 Likes

Re: Labour To Strike If ASUU Issue Is Not Resolved by wesley80(m): 4:50am On Oct 11, 2013
SLIDE waxie: Some people are just senseless!!!
Whether they want to fight for their pockets or their bags, the truth is: they made just one good point in which we all have to support them. And the point is:

'The govt are not bothered abt you students because their children study abroad'

This is a matter that should make us all angry and not calling for the labour leader's head!

At least, if their threats go real, are they not clear abt wot they want? Is it for them or for ASSU? undecided
Is that the only thing that should bother them? Do the so called leaders use Nigerian hospitals? Do they vacation in Nigeria? Are they at the mercy of kidnappers and robbers like other Nigerians? Do they rely on smoky and noisy i pass my neighbor gen sets to have power? Why arent labour leaders angry over all these also? Your head isnt there as a design, USE IT, that's why you were given one!

5 Likes

Re: Labour To Strike If ASUU Issue Is Not Resolved by fkaz(m): 5:16am On Oct 11, 2013
wesley80: Is that the only thing that should bother them? Do the so called leaders use Nigerian hospitals? Do they vacation in Nigeria? Are they at the mercy of kidnappers and robbers like other Nigerians? Do they rely on smoky and noisy i pass my neighbor gen sets to have power? Why arent labour leaders angry over all these also? Your head isnt there as a design, USE IT, that's why you were given one!

Stop spewing rubbish

Let them join if that will make FG fulfil their agreement.
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.
if we get our education system right we would have solve 70% of our problem.

13 Likes

Re: Labour To Strike If ASUU Issue Is Not Resolved by Kaxmytex(m): 5:29am On Oct 11, 2013
fkaz:

Stop spewing rubbish

[size=28pt]can 2 wrongz make a right?[/size]
Re: Labour To Strike If ASUU Issue Is Not Resolved by wesley80(m): 5:31am On Oct 11, 2013
fkaz:

Stop spewing rubbish

And you'll get your education right by acceding to ASUU's demands?

1 Like

Re: Labour To Strike If ASUU Issue Is Not Resolved by omicron(m): 5:40am On Oct 11, 2013
But, why is it that Federal Government does not usually honour aggreements entered into with all these unions? I really cannot blame ASUU for anything here, as long as it remains an aggreement the Government made with them, moreso as this is not the first time they have had to strike in order for government to honour aggreements.

It's sad but I think the devil between ASUU and FG is the latter. Come to think of it, most children of ASSUU members are affected by this same strike, whereas the same cannot be said about these top politicians who continue to take every Tom, Dicck and Harry in this country for granted.

1 Like

Re: Labour To Strike If ASUU Issue Is Not Resolved by fkaz(m): 5:57am On Oct 11, 2013
wesley80: And you'll get your education right by acceding to ASUU's demands?

Only if you know ASUU demand.

Our educational system need total overhauling

1 Like

Re: Labour To Strike If ASUU Issue Is Not Resolved by SLIDEwaxie(m): 5:59am On Oct 11, 2013
wesley80: Is that the only thing that should bother them? Do the so called leaders use Nigerian hospitals? Do they vacation in Nigeria? Are they at the mercy of kidnappers and robbers like other Nigerians? Do they rely on smoky and noisy i pass my neighbor gen sets to have power? Why arent labour leaders angry over all these also? Your head isnt there as a design, USE IT, that's why you were given one!
if only u are using ur head, u will knw without the right education, u will alwys av the wrong people at those places u mentioned!

Your intelligence is at a 'low battery' level!!
Go stand under the sun and charge up!

8 Likes

Re: Labour To Strike If ASUU Issue Is Not Resolved by wesley80(m): 6:05am On Oct 11, 2013
omicron: But, why is it that Federal Government does not usually honour aggreements entered into with all these unions? I really cannot blame ASUU for anything here, as long as it remains an aggreement the Government made with them, moreso as this is not the first time they have had to strike in order for government to honour aggreements.

It's sad but I think the devil between ASUU and FG is the latter. Come to think of it, most children of ASSUU members are affected by this same strike, whereas the same cannot be said about these top politicians who continue to take every Tom, Dicck and Harry in this country for granted.
Gowon and Ojukwu entered into negotiations in Aburi Ghana to prevent a civil war, an accord was reached by both sides but the Nigerian side later reneged on its part obviously because the FG had been outsmarted by Ojukwu who went to the negotiations fully prepared while the FG only attended more out of obligation. The result - a civil war! Like Aburi accord like 2009 agreement! ASUU outsmarted the FG during negotiations and are now holding the FG to it.

4 Likes

Re: Labour To Strike If ASUU Issue Is Not Resolved by fkaz(m): 6:19am On Oct 11, 2013
Kaxmytex:
[size=28pt]can 2 wrongz make a right?[/size]

Sometime they say there can be peace without war or we disagree to agree, Agreement is Agreement.
Where justice prevail there is peace, let FG do justice to the agreement
Re: Labour To Strike If ASUU Issue Is Not Resolved by DonMagicJuan: 6:25am On Oct 11, 2013
Tinibu is back.
Their pocket is fat now.
Re: Labour To Strike If ASUU Issue Is Not Resolved by Nobody: 6:29am On Oct 11, 2013
fkaz:

I beg to differ, 70%?
If the system remains bad, what happens when graduates are let loose in the corrupt society with policies that are anti-progressive?

1 Like

Re: Labour To Strike If ASUU Issue Is Not Resolved by fkaz(m): 6:45am On Oct 11, 2013
kaeyame:
I beg to differ, 70%?
If the system remains bad, what happens when graduates are let loose in the corrupt society with policies that are anti-progressive?

Your post look contradicting to me.

But with good education we will have a good working system

Education is the bedrock of a better society
Re: Labour To Strike If ASUU Issue Is Not Resolved by Nobody: 6:46am On Oct 11, 2013
Make dem start if dey wan strike. They don't even need to give FG a week ultimatum.
Re: Labour To Strike If ASUU Issue Is Not Resolved by ITbomb(m): 6:53am On Oct 11, 2013
FG is sure to lose this time cos the motives of ASUU is real.
Nelson Mandala was treated in his country but Nigerians are so quick to travel out for any headache .
They take public fund n send their children abroad for education while Nigerian students are kept in over crowded n ill equipped labs n lecture halls

3 Likes

Re: Labour To Strike If ASUU Issue Is Not Resolved by 3ace(m): 6:53am On Oct 11, 2013
Well, they could have another hidden agenda but they sure have a justifiable reason for the strike. Our politicians want to continue giving us the impression that this country is poor so as to make sure feathering their nest doesn't cease.
Re: Labour To Strike If ASUU Issue Is Not Resolved by priscasmart(f): 6:56am On Oct 11, 2013
Maybe this will finally get to the Federal Government. If the FG had enough integrity to keep to their promise, this condition would not have escalated to this level
Re: Labour To Strike If ASUU Issue Is Not Resolved by Eledan: 6:57am On Oct 11, 2013
Tolexander: yeye people!
Obviously calling for attention so that the fg will call them and give them money not to carry out the threat.
They aren't meant to be taken serious!

I've always respect your comments in this community....but this one in quote here is a total disappointment...

Anything that will force the FG to accede to ASUU/FG agreement should be explored...even if labour have to come in.

All that the FG need to sit up is NUPENG, PENGASSAN AND NUEE to team up with ASUU.

4 Likes

Re: Labour To Strike If ASUU Issue Is Not Resolved by skyscraperTM(m): 8:00am On Oct 11, 2013
i`m qettinq more puzzled, who is now the bad quys, FG or ASUU?!

1 Like

Re: Labour To Strike If ASUU Issue Is Not Resolved by AbuMikey(m): 8:05am On Oct 11, 2013

Which way Nigeria?

Re: Labour To Strike If ASUU Issue Is Not Resolved by Tolexander: 8:10am On Oct 11, 2013
Eledan:

I've always respect your comments in this community....but this one in quote here is a total disappointment...

Anything that will force the FG to accede to ASUU/FG agreement should be explored...even if labour have to come in.

All that the FG need to sit up is NUPENG, PENGASSAN AND NUEE to team up with ASUU.
oh sorry, you aren't looking at the situation from another and real perspective.

Do not be deceived by the antics of these selfish labour leaders that always pretend to fight for us but their pockets.

They will organise a protest to revert the pump price to the original price. At the end of the day, the pump price won't be reverted or a little price cut after serious meeting with the government.
How many of their protests have been fully successful?

All i want is a genuine support of ASUU's demand and not support to acquire bribe that may later complicate issue sir!

1 Like

Re: Labour To Strike If ASUU Issue Is Not Resolved by dridowu: 8:18am On Oct 11, 2013
Wc kin yeye labour, i dont trust labour
Re: Labour To Strike If ASUU Issue Is Not Resolved by Mexyz(m): 8:20am On Oct 11, 2013
Ok ride on labour leaders, i am solidly behind u guys on this. The only thing i don't want is ASUU HOLDINGS LTD handling d infrastructural projects in our uni. I heard dats one of their demands also. Fg shud brng in julius berger to do dat.
Re: Labour To Strike If ASUU Issue Is Not Resolved by Nobody: 8:22am On Oct 11, 2013
fkaz:

Your post look contradicting to me.

But with good education we will have a good working system

Education is the bedrock of a better society
"Education" as you postulated is outside the realm of the politicians, govt policies MDA's etc

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Speaker Aminu Tambuwal, APC Candidacy In Court / FG Effects Shake-up In Education Ministry [SEE DETAILS] / As The Law Stands: Peter Obi And The Issue Of Offshore Companies

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.