Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,709 members, 7,802,144 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 09:47 AM

Nigeria Begins Use Of Cement For Road Construction Against Asphalt. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Begins Use Of Cement For Road Construction Against Asphalt. (29362 Views)

Aregbesola New Road Construction In Osogbo (pictures) / Amaechi Invited For Road Inspection By Rivers PDP / Pictures Of Ongoing Road Construction At Ochefu Road Aba (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Begins Use Of Cement For Road Construction Against Asphalt. by Atouke: 6:30am On Oct 11, 2013
For the first time, the need for cement based option for road construction in Nigeria instead asphalt for sur-facing received a major boost at the week-end, with experts both local and interna-tionals listing some of the advantages of cement over other material. The conference, entitled, “Exploring Cement Based Option for Sustainable Road Construction in Nigeria”, which was organised by Business Day in collab-oration with the Cement Manufacturers’ Association of Nigeria (CMAN), drew the attention of government to the universal acceptance of cement concrete road as the best option all over the world. Stakeholders from road and transpor-tation sector comprising policy makers, construction experts, politicians and ce-ment manufacturers attended the confer-ence.

In canvassing for cement based option for road construction, it was noted that 40 per cent of roads in developed countries like United States of America and West Germany are made of cement concrete, whereas 2 per cent of roads in emerging economies like India and less than 0.1 per cent in Nigeria are built with cement concrete.

Justifying reasons for the need for concrete cement as alternative material to asphalt overlay for road construction, Chairman of CMAN, Mr. Joseph Makoju, said road built with cement is between 25 per cent and 50 per cent cheaper than that constructed with asphalt.

Besides, he explained that though ce-ment concrete road is 10 per cent more ex-pensive to construct than asphalt but that the lifespan of a road built with former is longer than that of the latter.In term of maintenance, he said ce-ment concrete road becomes cheaper than asphalt as less maintenance is re-quired.

He said, “ The major cause for the collapse of our road network earlier mentioned was identified as our poor maintenance culture. In search for a cost effective solution, it was natural there-fore to search for an alternative surfacing material which when compared with as-phalt will require minimal maintenance hence our interest in cement concrete roads for Nigeria.” Managing Director/ Chief Execu-tive Officer, Lafarge WAPCO Cement, Mr. Joe Hudson, in his presentation on “The Nigerian Cement Industry”, noted that Nigerian economy has potential for growth.

And as such, he said demand for cement would continue to increase due to investment in energy supply, road, water, housing and other infrastructure projects.

According to him, Nigeria cement ca-pacity will triple in 10 years from 2010 to 2020 and that the nation will be the sec-ond highest producer of cement in Africa after Egypt, adding that by 2015, Nigeria will be an exporter to the West African re-gion, saying it has capital investment of over N1.8 trillion

He listed major challenges of cement industry to include poor energy supply, roads and rail to carry cement to the mar-ket, and inadequate skills in the sector, urging government on the need to find solutions to them.

for full article:http://nationalmirroronline.net/index.php/business/real-estate/39853.html

Re: Nigeria Begins Use Of Cement For Road Construction Against Asphalt. by Eledan: 6:44am On Oct 11, 2013
Very true....I realized it's more durable when my company used it on the road plies by our customers heavy duty trucks carrying cargo laden containers
Re: Nigeria Begins Use Of Cement For Road Construction Against Asphalt. by Atouke: 6:47am On Oct 11, 2013
I think this will be very good for the cement manufacturers in Nigeria.
Re: Nigeria Begins Use Of Cement For Road Construction Against Asphalt. by Atouke: 6:48am On Oct 11, 2013
the dangotes,Larfage,wapco,unicem will have a field day if this technique of road construction catches on in Nigeria, this will add to thier already overflowing profit margin.

12 Likes

Re: Nigeria Begins Use Of Cement For Road Construction Against Asphalt. by Ngwakwe: 6:53am On Oct 11, 2013
How will the dust oozing out from the road over time be managed considering high temperature and low humidity in our clime?

At a speed of 120km/h the vehicle behind yours may have visibility problem when the road starts degenerating.

30 Likes

Re: Nigeria Begins Use Of Cement For Road Construction Against Asphalt. by Ikengawo: 6:55am On Oct 11, 2013
a broom?

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Begins Use Of Cement For Road Construction Against Asphalt. by malele(m): 6:56am On Oct 11, 2013
More money for dangote .
Hope he didn't bring those people before they made that declaration.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Begins Use Of Cement For Road Construction Against Asphalt. by DesChyko1(m): 6:57am On Oct 11, 2013
What I keep remembering is when I was 'skating' over the concrete floor my sister was presently scrubbing. I skidded and hit my head on the floor. I went blank for two minutes.. Is there a way to prevent these on these 'cement roads' in rainy season??
Re: Nigeria Begins Use Of Cement For Road Construction Against Asphalt. by Atouke: 7:00am On Oct 11, 2013
♥Dεs•Chγκσ♥:
What I keep remembering is when I was 'skating' over the concrete floor my sister was presently scrubbing. I skidded and hit my head on the floor. I went blank for two minutes.. Is there a way to prevent these on these 'cement roads' in rainy season??

did you read the article?I believe it said 40% of roads in the USA and germany are made of concrete/cement. i dont think car or people are slipping and falling over there.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Begins Use Of Cement For Road Construction Against Asphalt. by Eledan: 7:04am On Oct 11, 2013
Ngwakwe: How will the dust oozing out from the road over time be managed considering high temperature and low humidity in our clime?

At a speed of 120km/h the vehicle behind yours may have visibility problem when the road starts degenerating.

Tar will still be spread on it....

I will snap a pix of our road today when I get to the office and you won't know.

BTW.....the section of Oshodi/Apapa being handle by JB is using cement to make the road.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Begins Use Of Cement For Road Construction Against Asphalt. by Nobody: 7:05am On Oct 11, 2013
It might sound like a good move, but I feel it's a dubious attempt to mop up the cement glut in the market without having to reduce the controversial price.

4 Likes

Re: Nigeria Begins Use Of Cement For Road Construction Against Asphalt. by Nkemtreasure: 7:07am On Oct 11, 2013
Habaaaaaa, cement will now become N5000 a bag like kerosene. I need to change business line. grin grin grin grin ; haaaaaaahahahahhahaaaaa

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Begins Use Of Cement For Road Construction Against Asphalt. by cashkid18(m): 7:08am On Oct 11, 2013
Owk...
Re: Nigeria Begins Use Of Cement For Road Construction Against Asphalt. by Ngwakwe: 7:09am On Oct 11, 2013
If so, that's what is needed in Southern Nigeria to withstand degeneration of roads occasioned by heavy rainfalls.

Eledan:

Tar will still be spread on it....

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Begins Use Of Cement For Road Construction Against Asphalt. by Atouke: 7:09am On Oct 11, 2013
fluid26: It might sound like a good move, but I feel it's a dubious attempt to mop up the cement glut in the market without having to reduce the controversial price.

going by your logic, it will mean that 40%of roads built in The US and germany with concrete/ cement was done to clear the glut of cement in their market?

could it not be because concrete roads are more durable and require less maintenance a fact that might be better for nigeria as we are lacking in maintenance culture.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Begins Use Of Cement For Road Construction Against Asphalt. by Nobody: 7:13am On Oct 11, 2013
♥Dεs•Chγκσ♥:

Invest in some head gear...u shldnt be skating without one.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Begins Use Of Cement For Road Construction Against Asphalt. by oladapoa1(m): 7:21am On Oct 11, 2013
hmm... Dangote i can see u... As u did at the border too

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Begins Use Of Cement For Road Construction Against Asphalt. by Goddex: 7:27am On Oct 11, 2013
It's good we experiment it on a few roads and watch it over a period of 7yrs first. But it will cause shortage of cement for building.
Re: Nigeria Begins Use Of Cement For Road Construction Against Asphalt. by Atouke: 7:35am On Oct 11, 2013
Goddex: It's good we experiment it on a few roads and watch it over a period of 7yrs first. But it will cause shortage of cement for building.

really 7yrs before we start applying the method? lol
Re: Nigeria Begins Use Of Cement For Road Construction Against Asphalt. by Atouke: 7:37am On Oct 11, 2013
Does anyone with engineering/technical background know what the real merit/ demerits of this methodology will be for nigeria besides the obvious thats already been discussed?

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Begins Use Of Cement For Road Construction Against Asphalt. by Nobody: 7:39am On Oct 11, 2013
I witnessed the east-west road between uyo and PH being built this way. Very thick concrete was being used and d final finishing was tar. In Onne a port town in Rivers State, d township roads are all made of concrete. Dis time d surface isn't tarred but it looks very solid and durable.

I tink d cement option is great, but like d speaker at d conference pointed out, d initial cost of construction will definitely be higher. But dat wud be off-set by d durability

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Begins Use Of Cement For Road Construction Against Asphalt. by DesChyko1(m): 7:46am On Oct 11, 2013
gbosaa:

Invest in some head gear...u shldnt be skating without one.

Hehehe.. Madt man
Re: Nigeria Begins Use Of Cement For Road Construction Against Asphalt. by skyscraperTM(m): 7:57am On Oct 11, 2013
a welcome developement ¡
Re: Nigeria Begins Use Of Cement For Road Construction Against Asphalt. by dridowu: 8:13am On Oct 11, 2013
Dangote : On his way to top 10 richest people in the world

4 Likes

Re: Nigeria Begins Use Of Cement For Road Construction Against Asphalt. by homesteady(m): 8:27am On Oct 11, 2013
^^
He would be smiling wherever he is now grin

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Begins Use Of Cement For Road Construction Against Asphalt. by ayusco85(m): 8:46am On Oct 11, 2013
I say use the damn thing if its better than asphalt. Not minding who benefits more from this. They are all thieves. grin

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Begins Use Of Cement For Road Construction Against Asphalt. by fkaz(m): 9:17am On Oct 11, 2013
It is a wellcome idea.

18 Likes

Re: Nigeria Begins Use Of Cement For Road Construction Against Asphalt. by donphilopus: 9:30am On Oct 11, 2013
Price wan high nau
Re: Nigeria Begins Use Of Cement For Road Construction Against Asphalt. by Nobody: 9:32am On Oct 11, 2013
y ar u pple jealous of Dangote like dis? u dd not complain of Bill Gate fighting against piracy and encouraging govts to use windows!
If Dangote's products will make life easier den y shuld he not make some money from it?

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Begins Use Of Cement For Road Construction Against Asphalt. by Nate7even: 9:34am On Oct 11, 2013
Atouke: Does anyone with engineering/technical background know what the real merit/ demerits of this methodology will be for nigeria besides the obvious thats already been discussed?
Well concrete is good for compression so it handles heavy duty trucks well, but if not properly mixed and cured in our type of climate it will crack and the cracks will be quite long, also concrete will creep(flatten) over time but another layer can be laid

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Begins Use Of Cement For Road Construction Against Asphalt. by Nobody: 9:53am On Oct 11, 2013
Ngwakwe: How will the dust oozing out from the road over time be managed considering high temperature and low humidity in our clime?

I have never thought of that. but I think cement will out last asphalt. the concrete built filling stations last long. there is a mixture and technique for making it strong....

if Nigeria embraces that, I dust my cement distributors certificate....

I have never thought of that. but I think cement will out last asphalt. the concrete built filling stations last long. there is a mixture and technique for making it strong....

Re: Nigeria Begins Use Of Cement For Road Construction Against Asphalt. by Nobody: 9:58am On Oct 11, 2013
♥Dεs•Chγκσ♥:

the concrete floor on which you were scatting has no air pores. the concrete was actually sprinkled with an overlay of cement and water making it lack Air pores and consequently friction rendering it like marbles and tiles..

the roads we are talking about would not be built that way...

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

N2.1bn Arms Money Scandal: What I Know About EFCC Probe Of Dokpesi — Lawyer / Fani-Kayode Praising Wife Months Before Marriage Collapsed (Video) / South-East Crisis: 175 Soldiers, Cops, Others Killed In 72 Attacks

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.