Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,579 members, 7,809,103 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:11 PM

The 'rumu' Concept In The City Of Port Harcourt,nigeria. - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The 'rumu' Concept In The City Of Port Harcourt,nigeria. (4702 Views)

The Igbo Concept Of Satan(Ekwensu) And Chukwu (God) / What Does 'rumu' Mean? / The Ancient City Of Benin: Our Bronze Heritage In Pictures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The 'rumu' Concept In The City Of Port Harcourt,nigeria. by octaviusesse(m): 9:00am On Oct 11, 2013
Its no news that the city popularly known as the Garden city in the tropical coast of Nigeria has other colorful attributes apart from just being the garden city.

There is something that seems too common in the naming of the different towns around the Port Harcourt metropolis, and that is not far-fetched from the concept of 'Rumu' which is associated with most towns. like the Rumu-masi, Rumu-okuta, Rumu- cruchi, Rumu-dumaya, Rumu-ola, Rumu-okoro, 'Rumu-dara, Rumu-masi, Rumu-osi, Rumu-pricon, etc. But one may want to know the true concept behind the 'Rumu' ideology.

Chronologically, these whole 'Rumu' thing is coined from family entities, meaning the house or family of a Particular name. For instance, Rumu-Ola meaning the house or family of 'Ola'. This whole concept is tied to the traditional African belief that each community is formed from a particular individual that gradually grows into a whole family and then into a community...... Read More...http://www.searchlightnigeria.com/2013/10/the-rumu-concept-in-city-of-port.html
Re: The 'rumu' Concept In The City Of Port Harcourt,nigeria. by veraobi: 9:10am On Oct 11, 2013
Its an old story. It was like d Igbo land where u have UMU, when rivers had problem wit d Igbos, they changed it n put R" on it.
It was formally Umuola, umuigbo, Umuokoro. Etc. Till 2day, they still bear Igbo names.
Re: The 'rumu' Concept In The City Of Port Harcourt,nigeria. by Afam4eva(m): 9:18am On Oct 11, 2013
veraobi: Its an old story. It was like d Igbo land where u have UMU, when rivers had problem wit d Igbos, they changed it n put R" on it.
It was formally Umuola, umuigbo, Umuokoro. Etc. Till 2day, they still bear Igbo names.
I believe the whole RUMU stuff is just a dialectic difference from UMU. I don't think it was changed from the latter to the former like people would want us to believe else there will be a historical evidence to that fact.

3 Likes

Re: The 'rumu' Concept In The City Of Port Harcourt,nigeria. by badmeat(m): 9:22am On Oct 11, 2013
veraobi: Its an old story. It was like d Igbo land where u have UMU, when rivers had problem wit d Igbos, they changed it n put R" on it.
can't the igbos leave us aloneyou can't force ur language on people!English is a gremanic language,but I don't see any german complaining about the English language!angry
Re: The 'rumu' Concept In The City Of Port Harcourt,nigeria. by Babasuraju: 10:04am On Oct 11, 2013
What do u mean its an old story, look Port Harcourt is distinct on its own, stop bringing in the Igbo side as if PH doesn't have it own identity. Must it be linked with the Igbos? Abeg Igbo people, leave our port Harcourt for us ooooo
Re: The 'rumu' Concept In The City Of Port Harcourt,nigeria. by ketoprofen(m): 4:18pm On Oct 11, 2013
Afam4eva:
I believe the whole RUMU stuff is just a dialectic difference from UMU. I don't think it was changed from the latter to the former like people would want us to believe else there will be a historical evidence to that fact.
Its no dialectic difference.

Go and read the ' De igbonization of Port Harcourt.
Its not a hidden fact that the streets of port Harcourt was renamed a after the civil war by the then Rivers state govt - which was headed by I jaws mainly.
All was done to shed off Igbo/ Biafran association so as to attract FG attention.
The ikwerres being Igbo had to deny their igboness so as to be allowed into political and economic spheres of Rivers.

Na so.
A friend of mine told me his father had to use an Ibibio name to own an oil bloc in the Rivers state.

2 Likes

Re: The 'rumu' Concept In The City Of Port Harcourt,nigeria. by ketoprofen(m): 4:21pm On Oct 11, 2013
Babasuraju: What do u mean its an old story, look Port Harcourt is distinct on its own, stop bringing in the Igbo side as if PH doesn't have it own identity. Must it be linked with the Igbos? Abeg Igbo people, leave our port Harcourt for us ooooo

Y not prove him wrong other than beating abt the bush.

And y are yorubas masquerading as port Harcourt ppl here?
Re: The 'rumu' Concept In The City Of Port Harcourt,nigeria. by Babasuraju: 8:32am On Oct 12, 2013
ketoprofen:

Its not a hidden fact that the streets of port Harcourt was renamed a after the civil war by the then Rivers state govt - which was headed by I jaws mainly.
All was done to shed off Igbo/ Biafran association so as to attract FG attention.
The ikwerres being Igbo had to deny their igboness so as to be allowed into political and economic spheres of Rivers.

Na so.
A friend of mine told me his father had to use an Ibibio name to own an oil bloc in the Rivers state.
De Igbonization of Port Harcourt, i have a feeling it was written by an Igbo man, so i won't waste my time.
Re: The 'rumu' Concept In The City Of Port Harcourt,nigeria. by Babasuraju: 8:34am On Oct 12, 2013
ketoprofen:

Y not prove him wrong other than beating abt the bush.

And y are yorubas masquerading as port Harcourt ppl here?
Just so you know, My mother is from Rivers state, my father's mom is from River state too.
Re: The 'rumu' Concept In The City Of Port Harcourt,nigeria. by Nobody: 8:37am On Oct 12, 2013
This issue again? undecided
Re: The 'rumu' Concept In The City Of Port Harcourt,nigeria. by Ngbokwu: 11:30am On Oct 12, 2013
bad meat: can't the igbos leave us aloneyou can't force ur language on people!English is a gremanic language,but I don't see any german complaining about the English language!angry
This your silly post above is not neccessary. A poster started a thread without Igbo in it, you don't even know if the poster is Igbo. Yet your silly response was Igbo to leave you alone. Why does any thing Igbo choke you in your day to day activities?. Stop it dude.
AT THE POSTER: Ụmụ, rụmụ etc are same. So no big deal.
Re: The 'rumu' Concept In The City Of Port Harcourt,nigeria. by ketoprofen(m): 11:44am On Oct 12, 2013
Babasuraju: De Igbonization of Port Harcourt, i have a feeling it was written by an Igbo man, so i won't waste my time.

The post above, I have a feeling its written by a non Igbo, I won't waste my time
Re: The 'rumu' Concept In The City Of Port Harcourt,nigeria. by ketoprofen(m): 11:45am On Oct 12, 2013
Babasuraju: Just so you know, My mother is from Rivers state, my father's mom is from River state too.

And do u know my own origins?
Re: The 'rumu' Concept In The City Of Port Harcourt,nigeria. by Abagworo(m): 11:57am On Oct 12, 2013
ketoprofen:

Na so.

Whichever way you try to put it, "rumu" is a dialect variance of "umu" in Ikwerre language. Some parts still use "umu" and "omu". The "umu" they bore in the past that was later changed to "rumu" is like an Ngwa man bearing "Ifeoma" but later decided to change it to "heoma" which is the real Ngwa name without external modification.

1 Like

Re: The 'rumu' Concept In The City Of Port Harcourt,nigeria. by ketoprofen(m): 12:14pm On Oct 12, 2013
Abagworo:

Whichever way you try to put it, "rumu" is a dialect variance of "umu" in Ikwerre language. Some parts still use "umu" and "omu". The "umu" they bore in the past that was later changed to "rumu" is like an Ngwa man bearing "Ifeoma" but later decided to change it to "heoma" which is the real Ngwa name without external modification.

What effected the change?

That's the question

1 Like

Re: The 'rumu' Concept In The City Of Port Harcourt,nigeria. by Noneroone(m): 2:14pm On Oct 12, 2013
Every part of Igboland umu means umu. It was just changed for political expediency.
Re: The 'rumu' Concept In The City Of Port Harcourt,nigeria. by ketoprofen(m): 7:58pm On Oct 12, 2013
Noneroone: Every part of Igboland umu means umu. It was just changed for political expediency.

Simple.
How can ppl tell me rumu is dialectic?
Re: The 'rumu' Concept In The City Of Port Harcourt,nigeria. by Spiff20(m): 11:27pm On Oct 19, 2013
Wat is wrong wit d igbo's sef? Am jst xo tired of dis argument linking d ikwerre's and d igbo's. Dey said dey ar no longa igbo's why not let dem be, is it by force? U guys av 5 states already u stil want 2 claim rivers(not even in u guys wildest dream wil dat eva happen) or is it because of d oil. Enuf of dis abeg.
Re: The 'rumu' Concept In The City Of Port Harcourt,nigeria. by Ngodigha1(m): 11:59pm On Oct 19, 2013
Spiff20: Wat is wrong wit d igbo's sef? Am jst xo tired of dis argument linking d ikwerre's and d igbo's. Dey said dey ar no longa igbo's why not let dem be, is it by force? U guys av 5 states already u stil want 2 claim rivers(not even in u guys wildest dream wil dat eva happen) or is it because of d oil. Enuf of dis abeg.
Shut up please. Tell us when Ikwerres came together or their Ezes came together to say that they are not Igbos. Am waiting?.
Re: The 'rumu' Concept In The City Of Port Harcourt,nigeria. by EzePromoe: 12:02am On Oct 20, 2013
Babasuraju: What do u mean its an old story, look Port Harcourt is distinct on its own, stop bringing in the Igbo side as if PH doesn't have it own identity. Must it be linked with the Igbos? Abeg Igbo people, leave our port Harcourt for us ooooo
Is there any place called Port Harcourt in Ogbomosho

@posters,
Name changed or not, we all would be what we choose to be.
Re: The 'rumu' Concept In The City Of Port Harcourt,nigeria. by EzePromoe: 12:05am On Oct 20, 2013
Ngodigha1:
Shut up please. Tell us when Ikwerres came together or their Ezes came together to say that they are not Igbos. Am waiting?.
You just want to bother yourself. Someone who bears the name Spiff is definitely from the creek.
Re: The 'rumu' Concept In The City Of Port Harcourt,nigeria. by classicEntity(m): 11:52am On Oct 20, 2013
rumu, umu, idumu, omu= children of or quaters of.. In Igboland. Ikwerres use rumu (P.H), umu and omu while other parts of Rivers Igbos uses 'umu'. while some part of Imo state uses omu and umu, and delta north (ika part) uses idumu and umu as well. But 'umu' is peculiar to every part of Igboland, no matter what, Igbo is Igbo.
Re: The 'rumu' Concept In The City Of Port Harcourt,nigeria. by classicEntity(m): 12:06pm On Oct 20, 2013
Spiff20: Wat is wrong wit d igbo's sef? Am jst xo tired of dis argument linking d ikwerre's and d igbo's. Dey said dey ar no longa igbo's why not let dem be, is it by force? U guys av 5 states already u stil want 2 claim rivers(not even in u guys wildest dream wil dat eva happen) or is it because of d oil. Enuf of dis abeg.
Nobody is claiming Rivers state as a whole but rather the Igbo lands in it streching to 9 lgas, Ikwerre denying to be Igbos is not there fault, they did it for survival sakes, so as to have a say in the existing govt. dont forget that Rivers nd Bayelsa states where one as of then and Ijaws were the majority then and the de-Igbonization of P.H was done in Ijaw rule and a time when the Igbos were seriously maginalized in Nigeria due to the civil war records.
Re: The 'rumu' Concept In The City Of Port Harcourt,nigeria. by ketoprofen(m): 12:06pm On Oct 20, 2013
Eze Promoe:
Is there any place called Port Harcourt in Ogbomosho

@posters,
Name changed or not, we all would be what we choose to be.

which is what?
Re: The 'rumu' Concept In The City Of Port Harcourt,nigeria. by EzePromoe: 1:46pm On Oct 20, 2013
ketoprofen:

which is what?
This topic is just pointless. I don't see someone creating thread saying Onitsha is Igbo or Aba is Igbo, when we know they are.
Somebody created a thread about the concept of "rumu" and some are citing Biafra war. Does it mean that before the war, we were speaking just like the Anambra and Imo peeps, and then after, we started editing our lingo. You think learning a new language all together, is an easy task?
Re: The 'rumu' Concept In The City Of Port Harcourt,nigeria. by Onyxpify: 9:04pm On Oct 31, 2014
Ikwerre is igbo wether they want to deny it or not, their language is igbo and I an Anambralian understand their language even better than Abakiliki people in Ebonyi state, who are still igbo's even though their dialect is kinda difficult to understand, I understand Ikwerre and Ogbo better than Ebonyi so stop wasting ur time here denying ur origin coz of a common dialect. Even Oyigbo is Obigbo meaning heart of Igbo, they changed it to "oyi" I wonder whom u people are trying to decieve, if u want igbo's to leave u alone, then leave igbo alone by leaving our language alone and our names u bear, find ur own unique language nd names. I rest my case here
Re: The 'rumu' Concept In The City Of Port Harcourt,nigeria. by Onyxpify: 9:05pm On Oct 31, 2014
Ikwerre is igbo wether they want to deny it or not, their language is igbo and I an Anambralian understand their language even better than Abakiliki people in Ebonyi state, who are still igbo's even though their dialect is kinda difficult to understand, I understand Ikwerre and Ogba better than Ebonyi so stop wasting ur time here denying ur origin coz of a common dialect. Even Oyigbo is Obigbo meaning heart of Igbo, they changed it to "oyi" I wonder whom u people are trying to deceive, if u want igbo's to leave u alone, then leave igbo alone by leaving our language alone and our names u bear, find ur own unique language nd names. I rest my case here
Re: The 'rumu' Concept In The City Of Port Harcourt,nigeria. by 1shortblackboy: 7:12am On Nov 04, 2014
If this ikwerre -igbo issue was a horse it would be dead from over flogging by nairalanders. U guys should give it a rest. However as I type this I am sure I will yet see more of this issue
Re: The 'rumu' Concept In The City Of Port Harcourt,nigeria. by Nobody: 12:10pm On Nov 05, 2014
badmeat:
can't the igbos leave us aloneyou can't force ur language on people!English is a gremanic language,but I don't see any german complaining about the English language!angry

are you from Obio/Akpor?
Re: The 'rumu' Concept In The City Of Port Harcourt,nigeria. by Wiseoldman: 11:15am On Nov 08, 2014
It is common knowledge that *Idumota * Eko and a lot of other places in Lagos were named by the benin kingdom....even the concept of white cap chiefs in Lagos is from them. With all this, I have not heard a single Benin person lay claim to Lagos recently....lol

(1) (Reply)

Hip Hop Culture: Who's The Better Rapper - Nas Or Jay Z? / Ohafia, Abia State New New Festival / Yoruba Scholars - Help Me Tackle The Meaning Of Nagudu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.