Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,463 members, 7,781,342 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 12:45 PM

89% Of Corps Members Can’t Communicate In English -NYSC - NYSC (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / 89% Of Corps Members Can’t Communicate In English -NYSC (25759 Views)

Companies’ Rejection Of Corps Members Against Spirit Of NYSC – Dalong / Seven Categories Of Corps Members You Will Find In Any Orientation Camp. / 89% of corpers Lack Communication skills, can't write application letters. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 89% Of Corps Members Can’t Communicate In English -NYSC by Nobody: 3:40pm On Oct 11, 2013
Big fat lie.
Re: 89% Of Corps Members Can’t Communicate In English -NYSC by Fussbot: 3:40pm On Oct 11, 2013
pls dont tell me nonsens

wat did u mean gan sef?i also pass out yesterday and u meant to tell me i cldnt commune in english like these?maybe u were d one dat cant conversate in english sir..bt in our camp we converse mostime in english..mtschee#U canimagentheseinsult#
Re: 89% Of Corps Members Can’t Communicate In English -NYSC by watchindelta(m): 3:41pm On Oct 11, 2013
i tire oh!
Re: 89% Of Corps Members Can’t Communicate In English -NYSC by profbumbe: 3:41pm On Oct 11, 2013
Abegiiii,grammer no be our language
Re: 89% Of Corps Members Can’t Communicate In English -NYSC by GSKing: 3:41pm On Oct 11, 2013
Ogbeche77: The Kano state coordinator who made this assertion is a joke, did he conduct a research to arrive at this conclusion? So because a larger percentage of Kano corpers can't communicate in queens english means those in other states can't as well....He just dug out figures from his dansiki..
Abegiiiii.
Just stfu!!! You enjoy talking out of turn. If it wasnt an hausa state would you still castigate this fact? That figure in the report is quite low, IMO, how many graduates in Nigeria can construct a simple sentence these days?

1 Like

Re: 89% Of Corps Members Can’t Communicate In English -NYSC by Nobody: 3:44pm On Oct 11, 2013
deebrain: if what is normally posted on nairaland is anything to go by (since majority of its users are students upward), i will agree with this.

Tell dem say make dem speak or write am for pidgin, dem go dey form.
angry

!
Re: 89% Of Corps Members Can’t Communicate In English -NYSC by GSKing: 3:45pm On Oct 11, 2013
Fussbot: pls dont tell me nonsens

wat did u mean gan sef ?i also pass out yesterday and u meant to tell me i cldnt commune in english like these ? maybe u were d one dat cant conversate in english sir..bt in our camp we converse mostime in english..mtschee#U canimagen these insult#
God Almighty! What is this? Fluent english? I'll be damned!!!

8 Likes

Re: 89% Of Corps Members Can’t Communicate In English -NYSC by Thebrightest(m): 3:45pm On Oct 11, 2013
MUMU: I prefare speaking in pidgin yoruba.
angry
You are really mumu
Re: 89% Of Corps Members Can’t Communicate In English -NYSC by Mgbadike80: 3:46pm On Oct 11, 2013
3ace: Reason why most parents will teach their children English at the expense of their native languages.
most parents speak very bad english/pidgin english and eventually pass it over to their children at a very tender age. Another reason why parents should stick to their mother tongues and leave english teaching to the professionals.

4 Likes

Re: 89% Of Corps Members Can’t Communicate In English -NYSC by Nobody: 3:47pm On Oct 11, 2013
correct him let me see how much you know.
Ogbeche77: probably NYSC should start with you, because the one sentence you wrote above is even flawed grin grin

2 Likes

Re: 89% Of Corps Members Can’t Communicate In English -NYSC by Lovexme(m): 3:50pm On Oct 11, 2013
I believe the fact that most families communicate with their children using pidgin is a major problem. The kids are already used to pidgin, so effectively speaking correct English would be flawed by poor use of tenses.

Like some people would say, "English no be my papa language" grin

1 Like

Re: 89% Of Corps Members Can’t Communicate In English -NYSC by OrlandoOwoh(m): 3:53pm On Oct 11, 2013
The "famous" ESUT four come to mind.

1 Like

Re: 89% Of Corps Members Can’t Communicate In English -NYSC by Nobody: 3:54pm On Oct 11, 2013
ckkris: Even the grammar, syntax, standard of Logic displayed in ON Nairaland by graduates is too embarrassing. The verb 'to be' seem SEEMS to be too difficult for 95% of contributing writers, even in Newspapers and Magazines.

You also need to work on your use of preposition and noun/verb agreement. grin

8 Likes

Re: 89% Of Corps Members Can’t Communicate In English -NYSC by kizito96(m): 3:56pm On Oct 11, 2013
This is a very true observation. Go to facebook and read the English our so called graduates are writing. some times you wonder if actually these so called graduates went to school. It's a shame.
Re: 89% Of Corps Members Can’t Communicate In English -NYSC by eaglechild: 3:58pm On Oct 11, 2013
All these glorified secondary schools littered all over the SW.
Tai Solarin , OOU, etc;
Should learn to give lectures in English, if it is not Yoruba major being taught.

1 Like

Re: 89% Of Corps Members Can’t Communicate In English -NYSC by watchindelta(m): 4:02pm On Oct 11, 2013
why do u ppl called pidgin english badtt english? Vry soon u pp wil yarn say all our language na yeye too oh! I dy slang.
Re: 89% Of Corps Members Can’t Communicate In English -NYSC by jhidey08(m): 4:02pm On Oct 11, 2013
It's d partial truth. Bt y do we attach much emphasis on English Language in dis country, d fact dat a person can't speak gud english doesn't mean he has nothing 2 offer. Afterall govt has nt placed a level ground 4 everyone 2 av an opportunity of getting sound education in english, it'll take a very long tym 4 majority of us in dis country 2 speak a gud english. If a person makes little mistake in english na wahala, whereas pple who're criticizing such person doesn't av potentials lyk him. Let's reduce d importance we attach 2 d language

2 Likes

Re: 89% Of Corps Members Can’t Communicate In English -NYSC by funnyx(m): 4:02pm On Oct 11, 2013
eaglechild: All these glorified secondary schools littered all over the SW.
Tai Solarin , OOU, etc;
Should learn to give lectures in English, if it is not Yoruba major being taught.

You're a cretin! Can you think of anything else except bigotry and hatred towards Yorubas?

4 Likes

Re: 89% Of Corps Members Can’t Communicate In English -NYSC by Nobody: 4:02pm On Oct 11, 2013
Re: 89% Of Corps Members Can’t Communicate In English -NYSC by Jobos(m): 4:03pm On Oct 11, 2013
Thebrightest: Pls, what can i do to be able to speak good English? I really need help.
Buy and study the underlisted books;
1. Common mistake in English
2. English without tears
It will help you a lot.
Re: 89% Of Corps Members Can’t Communicate In English -NYSC by Cassypak(m): 4:04pm On Oct 11, 2013
What do u expect wen teachers cant do beta dan students in an examination

1 Like

Re: 89% Of Corps Members Can’t Communicate In English -NYSC by XVIER(m): 4:07pm On Oct 11, 2013
that is why i love watching jonny depp's movies.
Re: 89% Of Corps Members Can’t Communicate In English -NYSC by jagabanare(m): 4:07pm On Oct 11, 2013
is it a must to speak correct english? it is just a means of communication, once you are communicating, you are done! english is a borrowed language fa

1 Like

Re: 89% Of Corps Members Can’t Communicate In English -NYSC by Nobody: 4:08pm On Oct 11, 2013
Tai Solarin , OOU, etc;

Seriously, you didn't sound like you went to a better university either.

3 Likes

Re: 89% Of Corps Members Can’t Communicate In English -NYSC by eaglechild: 4:08pm On Oct 11, 2013
funnyx:

You're a cretin! Can you think of anything else except bigotry and hatred towards Yorubas?
I gave a candid advice.
No need to get worked up.
It has nothing to do with bigotry.

1 Like

Re: 89% Of Corps Members Can’t Communicate In English -NYSC by eaglechild: 4:10pm On Oct 11, 2013
~Bluetooth:

Seriously, you didn't sound like you went to a better university either.
I can assure you, I did.
Perhaps you need to tune up your understanding of complex sentences.

1 Like

Re: 89% Of Corps Members Can’t Communicate In English -NYSC by funnyx(m): 4:11pm On Oct 11, 2013
eaglechild:
I gave a candid advise.
No need to get worked up.
It has nothing to do with bigotry.

Keep your silly advise to yourself!

1 Like

Re: 89% Of Corps Members Can’t Communicate In English -NYSC by fuke(m): 4:13pm On Oct 11, 2013
kizito96: This is a very true observation. Go to facebook and read the English our so called graduates are writing. some times you wonder if actually these so called graduates went to school. It's a shame.

Not just Facebook. This Forum also.

I am not surprised though as an employer.
And that is why they are not employable.

The other day, I asked one with 2:1 degree to write why
she wanted me to take her on.

One hour after she was still there.
She could not take off, let alone write anything tangible.

I had to have another look at the degree certificate to be sure I saw correctly.
It was a 2:1 to be sure.

We are in trouble, real wahala.

1 Like

Re: 89% Of Corps Members Can’t Communicate In English -NYSC by omonla555: 4:14pm On Oct 11, 2013
I thank GOD for speaking Queens's language very well.

Africans are mad, what concerns us with English language, this is one of the reasons why we have not been able to manufacture common needle.
Re: 89% Of Corps Members Can’t Communicate In English -NYSC by danny301: 4:15pm On Oct 11, 2013
To say 89% percent of corp members or graduates cannot communicate effectively in English is not true... 'Effectively' is not the same as 'perfectly'... It is true that many of us have problems with the use of verbs or lack good commands of spoken English which only connote imperfection. but even at that average Nigerian graduate can hold his or her own any time any day as far English Language is concerned.

2 Likes

Re: 89% Of Corps Members Can’t Communicate In English -NYSC by fuke(m): 4:16pm On Oct 11, 2013
Tai Solarin , OOU, etc;

Those from the east of the Niger are the worst.

Our first lady graduated from one of them.(no pun intended)

3 Likes

Re: 89% Of Corps Members Can’t Communicate In English -NYSC by aubumeyang: 4:16pm On Oct 11, 2013
End time corpers

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Batch B 2014 : Posted To Adamawa State, Let's Meet Here / A thread for corpers posted to Kano / Nma Is A Professional Association Not Regulatory Agency.. Nysc Get It Right

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.