Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,896 members, 7,802,880 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 01:19 AM

89% Of Corps Members Can’t Communicate In English -NYSC - NYSC (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / 89% Of Corps Members Can’t Communicate In English -NYSC (25777 Views)

Companies’ Rejection Of Corps Members Against Spirit Of NYSC – Dalong / Seven Categories Of Corps Members You Will Find In Any Orientation Camp. / 89% of corpers Lack Communication skills, can't write application letters. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 89% Of Corps Members Can’t Communicate In English -NYSC by Bakreez: 5:28pm On Oct 11, 2013
naijacenter: Kano State Coordinator of National Youth Service Corps (NYSC), Mr. Sanusi Abdulrasheed, has lamented that 89 per cent of corps members in the country could neither write good application nor communicate effectively in English Language.

He stated that the majority of the corps members were more at home with the use of “broken English” as a means of communication.

Mr. Abdulrasheed made the disturbing disclosure yesterday in Kano during the passing out parade (POP ) of the present batch of corps members, where he noted that the findings were based on a nationwide research facilitated by the management of the scheme.

He told outgoing corps members: “ I don’t want you to feel insulted, but it is a statement of fact. The management of NYSC noticed one thing in you; that a bulk of you were not communicating effectively in English.

Read details: http://www.naijacenter.com/89-corps-members-communicate-english-nysc/
Haba how can they say that? That statistics is wrong totally. I guess they gave the project to dubious researchers who never went to the field before writing their report. Somebody should tell these incompetent old men to stop embarassing us and think better of how they can right their wrongs. They have failed this country and the founding fathers can never forgive them for putting us in this calamity.

1 Like

Re: 89% Of Corps Members Can’t Communicate In English -NYSC by Fussbot: 5:29pm On Oct 11, 2013
Zet72: Ur writeup here has vindicated the man already.
abi o..as if i know it will vindicate him...u can imgine dis man
Re: 89% Of Corps Members Can’t Communicate In English -NYSC by Nobody: 5:33pm On Oct 11, 2013
eaglechild:
I gave a candid advise.
No need to get worked up.
It has nothing to do with bigotry.
It is actually "advice" with a "c" when in noun form, not "advise" which is a verb.
Otondo.

1 Like

Re: 89% Of Corps Members Can’t Communicate In English -NYSC by ChrisGnarly: 5:34pm On Oct 11, 2013
thats why government shld listen to ASUU, or els it will soon be 100percent. though ASUU might nt teach one how to speak (directly), our secondery and primary education is d major cause of the problem. since we started writing all d external exams (ssce, gce, jamb, fslc) on d board f students what do u expect? till we d yourth put our heads together and eliminate all our greedy politicians, dis thing calle nigeria will never work well.

1 Like

Re: 89% Of Corps Members Can’t Communicate In English -NYSC by Nobody: 5:43pm On Oct 11, 2013
Bakreez: Haba how can they say that? That statistics is wrong totally. I guess they gave the project to dubious researchers who never went to the field before writing their report. Somebody should tell these incompetent old men to stop embarassing us and think better of how they can right their wrongs. They have failed this country and the founding fathers can never forgive them for putting us in this calamity.
"That statistics is wrong totally."
Slap yourself.
Re: 89% Of Corps Members Can’t Communicate In English -NYSC by nerodenero: 5:55pm On Oct 11, 2013
Still wondering the research tool used by this Kano State Administrator to arrive at this conclusion
Re: 89% Of Corps Members Can’t Communicate In English -NYSC by olafusimic(m): 6:01pm On Oct 11, 2013
phil5: Hehhheeee pidgin sweet dye ,especially the warri type ,make dem leave us jor,
I suggest it shuld be embraced, even Oxford indicated Nigerian English at the global English section. kiss

+1

1 Like

Re: 89% Of Corps Members Can’t Communicate In English -NYSC by chineloSA(f): 6:03pm On Oct 11, 2013
angry angry angry angry angry angry

I BLAME PESON WHO INVENTED PIDGIN. smiley smiley

SEE MY ENGLISH. smiley smiley smiley
Re: 89% Of Corps Members Can’t Communicate In English -NYSC by LausDeo(m): 6:09pm On Oct 11, 2013
Fussbot: abi o..as if i know it will vindicate him...u can imgine dis man
hahahaha fussbot, stop embarassing urself on here
Re: 89% Of Corps Members Can’t Communicate In English -NYSC by Nobody: 6:17pm On Oct 11, 2013
This is a lie! Can they produce the result of the research or data collected? Some people just like using their statements to relegate Nigeria! From experience, I believe Nigerians especially ladies can communicate excellently in spoken English than in written. I can easily remember 10 of my friends and I do not believe any of them cannot communicate effectively! Rubbish research!!
Re: 89% Of Corps Members Can’t Communicate In English -NYSC by Ikanium(m): 6:17pm On Oct 11, 2013
[color=#770077][/color] ;DI better kept quiet ooooooo after all ASUU more than 3months still counting.... If I talked now they say I no sabi English. Me fail English test thats un possible
Re: 89% Of Corps Members Can’t Communicate In English -NYSC by habeeb246(m): 6:22pm On Oct 11, 2013
Nincompoop
eaglechild: All these glorified secondary schools littered all over the SW.
Tai Solarin , OOU, etc;
Should learn to give lectures in English, if it is not Yoruba major being taught.
Re: 89% Of Corps Members Can’t Communicate In English -NYSC by skyscraperTM(m): 6:25pm On Oct 11, 2013
that statistics is ridiculous, i think it was over exaggerated.

that majority of corps members communicate mainly with pidgin english does not mean they could not communicate any best as regard queens english is concerned.

for example, i only speak english when trying to woo a girl or when i`m in a job interview. why should i be speaking english with my fellow guy?! it doesn`t make any sense tho'.

1 Like

Re: 89% Of Corps Members Can’t Communicate In English -NYSC by habeeb246(m): 6:30pm On Oct 11, 2013
Even though u gat deformities in ur brain must u make it so obvious ,, u ar a dimwit, 4k u, i rep oou mass com jooor
eaglechild:
I can assure you, I did.
Perhaps you need to tune up your understanding of complex sentences.
Re: 89% Of Corps Members Can’t Communicate In English -NYSC by eaglechild: 6:36pm On Oct 11, 2013
fuckluv: Indeed u went to a better school, English lecturer (mr ITK) undecided

It is advice in this context.
Thanks for noticing the typo.
Re: 89% Of Corps Members Can’t Communicate In English -NYSC by eaglechild: 6:41pm On Oct 11, 2013
daz_york:
It is actually "advice" with a "c" when in noun form, not "advise" which is a verb.
Otondo.
Thanks for noticing the typo.
I'm using an auto complete keyboard.
wink
Re: 89% Of Corps Members Can’t Communicate In English -NYSC by eaglechild: 6:43pm On Oct 11, 2013
habeeb246: Even though u gat deformities in ur brain must u make it so obvious ,, u ar a dimwit, 4k u, i rep oou mass com jooor
Sorry to be blunt, you need to step up.
Re: 89% Of Corps Members Can’t Communicate In English -NYSC by Phikom(m): 6:47pm On Oct 11, 2013
#embarrassing...
Re: 89% Of Corps Members Can’t Communicate In English -NYSC by Nobody: 6:48pm On Oct 11, 2013
Here is my take....

If we assume his statement is fact, that 89% of our graduate can't communicate effectively in English, should we worry?

I think we should be worried if the problem isn't peculiar to just 'English'.

If our graduate have got poor numeracy skills, aren't creative, can't work in teams, have poor work ethic, etc, then we should be worried.
Re: 89% Of Corps Members Can’t Communicate In English -NYSC by SammyJac(m): 6:49pm On Oct 11, 2013
[quote author=fuke]

Not just Facebook. This Forum also.

I am not surprised though as an employer.
And that is why they are not employable.

The other day, I asked one with 2:1 degree to write why
she wanted me to take her on.

One hour after she was still there.
She could not take off, let alone write anything tangible.

I had to have another look at the degree certificate to be sure I saw correctly.
It was a 2:1 to be sure.

We are in trouble, real wahala. Was that fellow a male or female? Did he/she graduate from a federal, state or private university?
Re: 89% Of Corps Members Can’t Communicate In English -NYSC by toyinjimoh(m): 6:50pm On Oct 11, 2013
Exaggeration, i dnt believe it
Re: 89% Of Corps Members Can’t Communicate In English -NYSC by Nobody: 6:50pm On Oct 11, 2013
eaglechild:
I can assure you, I did.
Perhaps you need to tune up your understanding of complex sentences.

I didn't know you even replied me but let me embarass you a little bit.

"Tune up" is a phrasal verb and can only be used when referencing a musical instrument or frequency of a radio or television, so your usage up there with reference to understanding is utter bullshiit because you can't give another meaning to phrase verb just like idioms too !
Re: 89% Of Corps Members Can’t Communicate In English -NYSC by eaglechild: 6:53pm On Oct 11, 2013
~Bluetooth:

I didn't know you even replied me but let me embarass you a little bit.

"Tune up" is a phrasal verb and can only be used when referencing a musical instrument or frequency of a radio or television, so your usage up there with reference to understanding is utter bullshiit because you can't give another meaning to phrase verb just like idioms too !
According to Michael West dictionary?
Please, you can do better.
Re: 89% Of Corps Members Can’t Communicate In English -NYSC by Nobody: 6:56pm On Oct 11, 2013
eaglechild:
According to Michael West dictionary?
Please, you can do better.

I don't need to quote anything to school you !
Re: 89% Of Corps Members Can’t Communicate In English -NYSC by umauhe(m): 7:02pm On Oct 11, 2013
Nigeria has a lot of people that would want look down on the youth {future leaders}of Nigeria[b][/b] cool cool.people like this when go close to them,they dont have anything meaningful to contribute to the development of our future leaders.Nigerian of this kind,that use lies to discredit the Nigeria deserve not be in Leadership
Re: 89% Of Corps Members Can’t Communicate In English -NYSC by eaglechild: 7:05pm On Oct 11, 2013
~Bluetooth:

I don't need to quote anything to school you !
I'll do the schooling.

tune up [ toon -uhp, tyoon - ]
Main Entry: tune up
Part of Speech: verb
Definition: harmonize
Synonyms: accommodate, adapt, adjust, attune, conform,
coordinate, dial, fix, harmonize, integrate, modulate, pitch,
proportion, reconcile, regulate, set, string, tighten, tune

etc.
Re: 89% Of Corps Members Can’t Communicate In English -NYSC by kawkab: 7:06pm On Oct 11, 2013
when did he conduct the research on which his conclusion is based on.
Re: 89% Of Corps Members Can’t Communicate In English -NYSC by phil5(m): 7:11pm On Oct 11, 2013
eaglechild:
I'll do the schooling.

etc.
hi mr wikipedia
Re: 89% Of Corps Members Can’t Communicate In English -NYSC by Coolegz(m): 7:13pm On Oct 11, 2013
just imagine. Then wot is the use of our educational system in nigeria.*
Re: 89% Of Corps Members Can’t Communicate In English -NYSC by Nobody: 7:18pm On Oct 11, 2013
eaglechild:
I'll do the schooling.

etc.

This guy is a mo'R'on. . . . .You only gave me the synonyms of a phrase verb which doesn't dispute its main usage. Its just like saying " Take to' which means to give up a habit. The source which is the verb cannot be modified to "took to" or "taken to ". Same with this tune up as it will always remain tune up.

Stop embarassing yourself !

1 Like

Re: 89% Of Corps Members Can’t Communicate In English -NYSC by Nobody: 7:18pm On Oct 11, 2013
ckkris: Even the grammar, syntax, standard of Logic displayed in Nairaland by graduates is too embarrassing. The verb 'to be' seem to be too difficult for 95% of contributing writers, even in Newspapers and Magazines.

Kettle calling pot black. Read your first sentence again. "In Nairaland" ?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Corper Who Lost Arms In Ghastly Auto Crash To Get Automatic Job - NYSC DG / Batch B Corpers In Ondo East Dancing As They Collect Their Nysccertificate / Nma Is A Professional Association Not Regulatory Agency.. Nysc Get It Right

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 115
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.