Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,426 members, 7,808,527 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:03 PM

89% Of Corps Members Can’t Communicate In English -NYSC - NYSC (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / 89% Of Corps Members Can’t Communicate In English -NYSC (25785 Views)

Companies’ Rejection Of Corps Members Against Spirit Of NYSC – Dalong / Seven Categories Of Corps Members You Will Find In Any Orientation Camp. / 89% of corpers Lack Communication skills, can't write application letters. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 89% Of Corps Members Can’t Communicate In English -NYSC by Abmarshalo(m): 10:52am On Oct 12, 2013
I hope GoodLuck Jonathan will be accused as the cause I guess?

naijacenter: Kano State Coordinator of National Youth Service Corps (NYSC), Mr. Sanusi Abdulrasheed, has lamented that 89 per cent of corps members in the country could neither write good application nor communicate effectively in English Language.

He stated that the majority of the corps members were more at home with the use of “broken English” as a means of communication.

Mr. Abdulrasheed made the disturbing disclosure yesterday in Kano during the passing out parade (POP ) of the present batch of corps members, where he noted that the findings were based on a nationwide research facilitated by the management of the scheme.

He told outgoing corps members: “ I don’t want you to feel insulted, but it is a statement of fact. The management of NYSC noticed one thing in you; that a bulk of you were not communicating effectively in English.

Read details: http://www.naijacenter.com/89-corps-members-communicate-english-nysc/
Re: 89% Of Corps Members Can’t Communicate In English -NYSC by Nobody: 11:13am On Oct 12, 2013
Oga dats an over exxageration.89%,what do u pple even tink dat 9ja youths r,dummies or wat. Iweala calld us half baked nd unemployable,nw u r sayin we cant speak gud english.enof of dis insults pls. IF D WHITE MEN U ALL SEND UR CHILDREN 2 DIA SKULS 2 LEARN,WIL START ACTIN LYK 9JA LECTURES,DO U TINK DY WIL B BETA DAN US? D ANS IS BIG "NO" stop insultin us pls.
Re: 89% Of Corps Members Can’t Communicate In English -NYSC by Nobody: 11:23am On Oct 12, 2013
Oga,gud question.y wil english b so ova rated?go 2 d france nd d middle east,nd sum asian countries,dy ve little regard 4 english. Yet dy do beta dan us.2 me communication is,if u undastand wat i say,weda d english well written or nt. Biko onye ekwuzi kwana ife ozo.address d problem facin d youths,nd nt weda dia english is ryt or wrng.
HAH: Mr coodinator is English our mother tongue ? If not we don try with the little wey we dey speak
HAH: Mr coodinator is English our mother tongue ? If not we don try with the little wey we dey speak
Re: 89% Of Corps Members Can’t Communicate In English -NYSC by Nobody: 11:23am On Oct 12, 2013
eaglechild:
I gave a candid advice.
No need to get worked up.
It has nothing to do with bigotry.
Illiterate. "A candid advice". I guess this was also a typo caused by predictive text abi?
Yeye.
Re: 89% Of Corps Members Can’t Communicate In English -NYSC by Sagamite(m): 11:37am On Oct 12, 2013
Primuskay: Oga dats an over exxageration.89%,what do u pple even tink dat 9ja youths r,dummies or wat. Iweala calld us half baked nd unemployable,nw u r sayin we cant speak gud english.enof of dis insults pls. IF D WHITE MEN U ALL SEND UR CHILDREN 2 DIA SKULS 2 LEARN,WIL START ACTIN LYK 9JA LECTURES,DO U TINK DY WIL B BETA DAN US? D ANS IS BIG "NO" stop insultin us pls.

Believe me, Iweala and Sagamite cannot both be wrong when they concur on an issue.
Re: 89% Of Corps Members Can’t Communicate In English -NYSC by Theben(m): 11:40am On Oct 12, 2013
Sagamite:

Believe me, Iweala and Sagamite cannot both be wrong when they concur on an issue.
Stop living in delusion.
Re: 89% Of Corps Members Can’t Communicate In English -NYSC by kolado(m): 11:58am On Oct 12, 2013
Sagamite:

You are a person.

Which schools failed you?
You must be a nincompoop. Can't you just contribute whatever stupid opinion you want to and Bleep off?
Re: 89% Of Corps Members Can’t Communicate In English -NYSC by Sagamite(m): 12:17pm On Oct 12, 2013
kolado: You must be a nincompoop. Can't you just contribute whatever stupid opinion you want to and Bleep off?

You are a person!

Do you even have anything to contribute, dumbo?

Theben:
Stop living in delusion.

person, you are too dumb to know what is delusion.
Re: 89% Of Corps Members Can’t Communicate In English -NYSC by Polchiz(m): 12:23pm On Oct 12, 2013
I still insist on seeing the Research Methodology and how they arrived at this figure.
During our orientation in 2009, Biochemistry Department, ABU, Zaria, the then NABS President ( Mr. Raji) addressed us in clear- cut English and with good oral proficiency. I Was struck dumbfounded when I learnt that he has a 3rd class grade.
Admittedly, many graduates don't always sound soyinkaic in their speech but yet they are brilliant. Analytically, they possess robust technical skills, which, for me, matters most.
I'm a fresh Biochemistry graduate from ABU, Zaria and I know the quality of graduates that we produce. The winner of the famous LNG and NAM award, Prof. A.J Nok is a 3rd class graduate from ABU and yet he is an international guru.
In 2011, we had some PG students from Benue state University that did not understand Basic physiology. Some of them graduated with 2:1. This implies that, the school one attended matters a lot
You can't compare ABU, UI and UNN graduates with other graduates from some of the mushroom universities around.
I had the opportunity to be a member of a social forum where many scientist all over the world discuss key topics in science. I don't want to sound arrogant, but the so-called oyibos were baffled tremendously with the way I explain some new concepts with marvellous dexterity and in good English as well.
Our major problem in Nigeria is that, we are too 'oyibophobic'.
Re: 89% Of Corps Members Can’t Communicate In English -NYSC by benzzyno(m): 12:23pm On Oct 12, 2013
ckkris: On what is your doubt based? This is the report of a research.
men yhur real funny..! Research ma ass..who did the research?..what methods were use to gather data's...nigga research of dis nature entails more than jst writing a speech and deliverin it in front of people..!
Re: 89% Of Corps Members Can’t Communicate In English -NYSC by benzzyno(m): 12:44pm On Oct 12, 2013
Polchiz: I still insist on seeing the Research Methodology and how they arrived at this figure.
During our orientation in 2009, Biochemistry Department, ABU, Zaria, the then NABS President ( Mr. Raji) addressed us in clear- cut English and with good oral proficiency. I Was struck dumbfounded when I learnt that he has a 3rd class grade.
Admittedly, many graduates don't always sound soyinkaic in their speech but yet they are brilliant. Analytically, they possess robust technical skills, which, for me, matters most.
I'm a fresh Biochemistry graduate from ABU, Zaria and I know the quality of graduates that we produce. The winner of the famous LNG and NAM award, Prof. A.J Nok is a 3rd class graduate from ABU and yet he is an international guru.
In 2011, we had some PG students from Benue state University that did not understand Basic physiology. Some of them graduated with 2:1. This implies that, the school one attended matters a lot
You can't compare ABU, UI and UNN graduates with other graduates from some of the mushroom universities around.
I had the opportunity to be a member of a social forum where many scientist all over the world discuss key topics in science. I don't want to sound arrogant, but the so-called oyibos were baffled tremendously with the way I explain some new concepts with marvellous dexterity and in good English as well.
bullocks..! Brags Dnt take u no were..! Let ur works speak for u..! 'Mr raji ...spoke well...graduated with 3rd class..!' u jst tryna na tell us u finished with a 1st class..! Studnts from benue state university doin PGD in ur skol cant ansa basic question....ur university bst around the world...dude u and ur reasoning very shallow..!! Eva heard of havard university in yhur life?.. *am so happy i said this.*

1 Like

Re: 89% Of Corps Members Can’t Communicate In English -NYSC by SenatorJames(m): 12:59pm On Oct 12, 2013
[quote author=ruffneck]I suggest NYSC conducts aptitude tests for prospective corp members b4 camping!lol[/quote

Lets blame the People and not the system
Re: 89% Of Corps Members Can’t Communicate In English -NYSC by SenatorJames(m): 1:01pm On Oct 12, 2013
ruffneck: I suggest NYSC conducts aptitude tests for prospective corp members b4 camping!lol

And people like you will be the first to be shouting bad policy when its been introduce by the scheme.

Instead of multiple screening examnations (UTME, Post UTME and now NYSC aptitude test) to get good candidates. Why cant we upgrade the Educational system genarally, so that we can have many competent graduates

1 Like

Re: 89% Of Corps Members Can’t Communicate In English -NYSC by digor: 1:01pm On Oct 12, 2013
cry cry cryr what again?
Re: 89% Of Corps Members Can’t Communicate In English -NYSC by 735i(m): 1:04pm On Oct 12, 2013
***in Mr. Ibu's voice; chi eji go!******
Re: 89% Of Corps Members Can’t Communicate In English -NYSC by SenatorJames(m): 1:50pm On Oct 12, 2013
Polchiz: I still insist on seeing the Research Methodology and how they arrived at this figure.

As good as your points are, you only demeritted it by boasting and overrating your institution over others in Nigeria. This will only portrait our leaders in Abuja as doing so much for the federal universities (I dont know what ASUU is fighting for then).

Why is no single Nigeria university among the best 1000 of the world (not even ABU)..........or u dont believe it (your 2 weeks visit to Ghana will prove that)
Re: 89% Of Corps Members Can’t Communicate In English -NYSC by SenatorJames(m): 1:57pm On Oct 12, 2013
Ogbeche77: The Kano state coordinator who made this assertion is a joke, did he conduct a research to arrive at this conclusion? So because a larger percentage of Kano corpers can't communicate in queens english means those in other states can't as well....He just dug out figures from his dansiki..
Abegiiiii.

not like that sir
Re: 89% Of Corps Members Can’t Communicate In English -NYSC by tunchi88(m): 2:07pm On Oct 12, 2013
Watch movies with english subtitles,it'l help a liltle.consult ur dictionary weneva u encounter a new word.
Re: 89% Of Corps Members Can’t Communicate In English -NYSC by SenatorJames(m): 2:08pm On Oct 12, 2013
Ogbeche77: The Kano state coordinator who made this assertion is a joke, did he conduct a research to arrive at this conclusion? So because a larger percentage of Kano corpers can't communicate in queens english means those in other states can't as well....He just dug out figures from his dansiki..
Abegiiiii.

It is a national research and not in Kano only. Instead of checking yourself if you are not among the huge figure and take neccessary action, you are here blaming a career officer in the scheme that relate with corpers everyday.

Truly, Truth is bitter
Re: 89% Of Corps Members Can’t Communicate In English -NYSC by rafcrown(m): 2:14pm On Oct 12, 2013
THEN USE
TIV
IGALA
YORUBA
IGBO
HAUSA
SWAHILI
GRAMMAR NO BE MONEY
PIDGIN ENGLISH
Re: 89% Of Corps Members Can’t Communicate In English -NYSC by looder: 4:23pm On Oct 12, 2013
ogunteluwo: This is no more a new thing, instead of tackling the way out. Taking a disciple step like testing them before encamping them will give a sit up notice to them. And providing the consequences of not passing the Oral and writing test, like giving them no way to camp with the successful ones or repeating the camp the following year. I was once a victim of this but I went on researches to develop myself and God helped me. If I can improve, it means these people can improve too. It is a matter of willingness.

U jst confirmed it....now its 89.009%
Re: 89% Of Corps Members Can’t Communicate In English -NYSC by Polchiz(m): 5:32pm On Oct 12, 2013
Do you know the stupid criteria for ranking universities? May be google will help you
ASUU is fighting for their pocket.
Yes, we may not have all the modern facilities in ABU but the few ones we have are up to standard. As a Biochemistry student I had access to analytical balance, digital balance, centrifuge of different types, spectrophotometer, colorimeter,PH meter, microscope, autoclave, laboratory incubator, monochromator, chromatographic machines, electrophoretic machines, 24hr free internet access, a multipurpose Research laboratory ( built by late Yar' adua), Biotechnology research institute, among others.
In 2011, when I went for my SIWES at Nigerian Breweries Plc, I knew how to use virtually all the equipment in their ultramodern quality control laboratory and my knowledge in brewing is awesome.
We have thousands of graduates in Nigeria who are better than me.
Don't believe every nonsense that our Govt tells you. Of course, they must find an excuse to justify their failure to provide job for our youth [/quote]
735 i:
***in Mr. Ibu's voice; chi eji go!******
Senator James:

As good as your points are, you only demeritted it by boasting and overrating your institution over others in Nigeria. This will only portrait our leaders in Abuja as doing so much for the federal universities (I dont know what ASUU is fighting for then).

Why is no single Nigeria university among the best 1000 of the world (not even ABU)..........or u dont believe it (your 2 weeks visit to Ghana will prove that)

1 Like

Re: 89% Of Corps Members Can’t Communicate In English -NYSC by Nobody: 5:43pm On Oct 12, 2013
Senator James:

It is a national research and not in Kano only. Instead of checking yourself if you are not among the huge figure and take neccessary action, you are here blaming a career officer in the scheme that relate with corpers everyday.

Truly, Truth is bitter
What nonsense national research? I have worked in the market research field before, I know what it takes to carry out a comprehensive research and NYSC can't devout that time and resources to it... So the Kano state coordinator should just return to his office and stop bringing out data from his danshiki... Career officer ko, cabal officer ni...

1 Like

Re: 89% Of Corps Members Can’t Communicate In English -NYSC by bunmit(m): 7:44pm On Oct 12, 2013
ckkris: On what is your doubt based? This is the report of a research.

what kind of stupid research, definitely over-rated
Re: 89% Of Corps Members Can’t Communicate In English -NYSC by roxell120(m): 7:49pm On Oct 12, 2013
so true my corper colleague in the secondary school where we did our primary assignment together disgraced me severally with her frequent grammatical blonders and she was handling english language-so funny
Re: 89% Of Corps Members Can’t Communicate In English -NYSC by esty4real: 10:37pm On Oct 12, 2013
Mr. Abdulrasheed has indeed said it all. Some times I read threads and comments written/made by some so called graduates and it's a thing of great concern that we really need to work seriously on the use and construction of english even if not our mother tongue but for the sake of general communication. Even the so called english teachers we have on nairaland baffles me with words! U can imagine a person calling an "article" a story for goodness sake.

@Tunji brush-up with ur grammar pls u are even worse than the 1st lady(Dame)
Re: 89% Of Corps Members Can’t Communicate In English -NYSC by Ayatullah(m): 3:29am On Oct 13, 2013
Despite this Golden Truth Nigeria keep building more universities, it is indeed a pity what Education has become in Nigeria. GEJ was so proud to announce as part of his achievement in his Independence day Media Chat the creation of more universities. Why are we fooling ourselves?
Re: 89% Of Corps Members Can’t Communicate In English -NYSC by phildon: 6:32am On Oct 13, 2013
Sagamite:

You can't blame people being unfortunate especially those from remote areas.

But when you have people especially from towns and cities who have a vast array of resources and access to knowledge to them, yet all they want to do is dance Alanta, use the internet to see what Banky W is doing or what Linda Ikeji is saying and who willfully degenerate themselves and their education (e.g. posting with textspeak, make no attempt to think before giving an opinion etc), then they are very much to blame too.
Prepare your defence cos I'm suing you for pirating my thoughts! Lol
Re: 89% Of Corps Members Can’t Communicate In English -NYSC by SimonT: 10:30am On Oct 13, 2013
I'm tempted to say that Pidgin should be standardised and used as a lingua franca instead, but the outcome would probably be the same - regional variations, foreign loan words and slang. Even here in Britain the British speak bad English, and most of them can't spell. See www.Nigerianlondon.com
Re: 89% Of Corps Members Can’t Communicate In English -NYSC by Sagamite(m): 10:31am On Oct 13, 2013
phildon: Prepare your defence cos I'm suing you for pirating my thoughts! Lol

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Corper Who Lost Arms In Ghastly Auto Crash To Get Automatic Job - NYSC DG / Batch B Corpers In Ondo East Dancing As They Collect Their Nysccertificate / Nma Is A Professional Association Not Regulatory Agency.. Nysc Get It Right

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.