Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,392 members, 7,781,126 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 09:25 AM

Yesterday I Was A Corper - NYSC - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / Yesterday I Was A Corper (614 Views)

RiversRerun: NYSC Confirms Killing Of A Corper During Election / Innocent Ajakaiye, A Corper, Dies Playing On The Pitch / Embarrasing: See What A Corper Posted On Facebook (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Yesterday I Was A Corper by Mandesz(m): 4:36pm On Oct 11, 2013
My name is Victor. A graduate of accounting. I was posted to Borno as a corps member in the batch C of the NYSC 2012/13.
On getiing my call-up letter.. So this is the bad news i have been waiting for? Borno!
Borno State is a state in north-east Nigeria. Its capital is Maiduguri. The state was formed in 1976 from the split of the North-Eastern State. Until 1991 it contained what is now Yobe State.
The state is dominated by the Kanuri and Babur while few Shuwa Arab ethnic groups are found. Shuwa Arabs are mainly the descendants of Arabized Fulani people.
''The Home of Peace” the acronym fits Borno State well as the State is known for its peaceful and hospitable nature. However, this name has since 2009 bacome an irony and a shadow of itself.
As a result of it's 'peaceful' nature; a graduate posted to Borno for service is seeing as being thrown into the Den of Lion. I remember when i told a friend about my posting to Borno he immediately said ''forget about NYSC, forget about service''.
I was confused as every reaction to this ''ill-luck'' was never encouraging. But what has been done has been done. I have to take my faith.
Later on i was told relocation was possible.
Goodnews!
The most painful thing at this time was not a posting to Borno anymore but in the call-up letter, Borno, Yobe, and Bayelsa are to go to their orientation camp three weeks after other corps members from other 33 states and FCT must have done theirs.
I remember a close friend will tell me on 2go they are the real Batch C while we are the ''Batch C (2)''.
Moreover, I have totally lost passion for the thing i really admired in my younger age. I mean those time when you look at so-called corpers as a 'little god'.
So confused and in my confusion I must develop adaptation to cope with this situation. Too sure.. i know my time.. It is beyond saying my time will soon come.
I was looking to the days. Who say those days will never come again? Three weeks was like three years. Although later on i completely lost the passion.
I remember the day of the swearing for the Batch C(i was still at home), reading from a newspaperstand at challange, ilorin I saw pictures of corpers on the front page of tribune. I was not keen to read and never read the headline. It must be news on the swearing-in, very sure. Let's forget about this service ''jare'', i thought aloud.
In my mind this people don't know i'm part of thes corpers ''fa'';''nawa o''. I left the place nicely disappointed.. Too jealous you may say.
This was an ill-luck. Why should this happened to me?
http://segunvictor..com/2013/10/yesterday-i-was-corper.html
[part 2 to come]

(1) (Reply)

89% Corps Members Can’t Write Good Application, Lack Communication Skills —NYSC / Batch C Corp Members Posted To Ondo State, Let's Meet Here / No Ghost Corps Member In NYSC – Human Rights Writers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.