Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,366 members, 7,808,275 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:43 AM

The Blame Switch - A Short Story - Literature (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The Blame Switch - A Short Story (8622 Views)

The Blame Game / Who Is To Blame When A Child Has Sex Without Proper Knowledge - Live Debate / Chinua Achebe: The Gods Are Not To Blame (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Blame Switch - A Short Story by merit12(f): 8:29pm On Oct 15, 2013
i nor go vote you,cos i nor dey enjoy the show eehhh,you dey put were tough for pause ,c now my zobodobo drink nd koli koli done almost finish,sha i reserve d rest for ur update ,i love your show

1 Like

Re: The Blame Switch - A Short Story by mabebe1(f): 12:26am On Oct 16, 2013
Pls post d page wher ur name is, so we can vote easily than 2 scroll tru all 79pages. Its tedious
Re: The Blame Switch - A Short Story by Mathicks(m): 7:02am On Oct 16, 2013
mabebe1: Pls post d page wher ur name is, so we can vote easily than 2 scroll tru all 79pages. Its tedious
my story is ''life is just funny'' thats the exact page it'll take you to .. http://etisalatprize.com/life-is-just-funny/
Re: The Blame Switch - A Short Story by purpinkx(m): 9:56am On Oct 16, 2013
Nice story ... +1 vote from me
Re: The Blame Switch - A Short Story by Nobody: 7:06pm On Oct 16, 2013
nice story ....... Just voted for u bro....... More ink to ur pen ....... N greater tinz ahead..
Re: The Blame Switch - A Short Story by merit12(f): 9:29am On Oct 21, 2013
come bk here and finish dis story or elso sometin go dey
Re: The Blame Switch - A Short Story by lovingangel(f): 3:46pm On Oct 21, 2013
hey Wats happening did u jst start dis story to get our vote....
Re: The Blame Switch - A Short Story by kingphilip(m): 3:56pm On Oct 21, 2013
mylovingangel: hey Wats happening did u jst start dis story to get our vote....
you de mind the guy? I for knw say na lyk dis i for no vote
Re: The Blame Switch - A Short Story by Mathicks(m): 1:30am On Oct 22, 2013
Sorry for the quite long break. I had finished the 'next' part of the story, but I wanted to conclude with the story first b4 i posted anything here, so that i'll post everything once.... but as it seems, i dont have all the time in the world. You guys are the customers, and the customers are always right. I'm supposed to have dropped the next part here...so i'll do that now!
Re: The Blame Switch - A Short Story by kingphilip(m): 5:52am On Oct 22, 2013
Mathicks: Sorry for the quite long break. I had finished the 'next' part of the story, but I wanted to conclude with the story first b4 i posted anything here, so that i'll post everything once.... but as it seems, i dont have all the time in the world. You guys are the customers, and the customers are always right. I'm supposed to have dropped the next part here...so i'll do that now!
k i de wait do come abeg
Re: The Blame Switch - A Short Story by Mathicks(m): 9:44am On Oct 22, 2013
.....CONTINUATION
She just stood there, her eyes locked on his. Was she to be happy? Was she to be scared? Was she to be apologetic? Yes she was apologetic, but it had to be more than that. She was confused. Here, stood the man whom she had loved with all her life, and he had loved her too. He might have even loved her more than she loved him. All that does not matter now. She had betrayed him, she had betrayed her promise to him. Was that why God punished her with Thomas James?
Memories poured down like the rains, and soaked her mind. She started feeling hot, her legs were shaking, her heart was pounding and her lips trying to say words, words that her own head could not comprehend. Suddenly, she felt all the heat transferred to her eyes. A tear drop burned her face.
*3 minutes after*
Blessing had succeded in convincing Francis to feel comfortable. He was sitting on the sofa now, with his eyes very wide. He was looking at her, but he was not looking at her. It was as if he was looking through her. Then he turned his gaze to the TV.
Blessing was just as confused. Only that she was confused for a different reason. She did not know what was happening, but her curiosity had the better of her and she could not just let him go away. She had to find out what her husband's friend had to do with her own friend.
She made an excuse about wanting to get him some orange juice. His gaze turned to her once more. His eyes were refusing the offer, but his mouth was too heavy to say anything. Only a body builder could lift those lips.
Blessing smiled and took silence to mean ''yes, please''. She got up and headed straight for the kitchen, where Ann had run to some minutes ago. She was very careful not to step on the broken pieces of glass cup Ann had broken earlier.
Blessing moved slowly towards her. She used her fingers to catch fresh tear drops and then hugged her.
''Whats wrong?'' she finally asked after she released the embrace.
''Thats him,''
''Thats who?''
''Francis. Edward Francis. Thats Francis''
''Yes, thats Francis, I know''
''You dont understand thats...''
Blessing put her hand on her mouth at the sudden realization. So that was the same Francis Ann had talked about.
''That your boyfriend?''
''yes,'' Ann replied as she used her finger to wipe yet another tear drop.
''How..what..what are you going to do now?''
''I dont know, I dont know...I am very confused.'' she had managed to put her tears under control.
''okay. But why are you now crying dear? He broke up with you, whats..''
''No. He did not break up with me. I broke up with him. I caused it.'' she felt another round of tears trying to break loose. She fought back the tears. She fouught bravely, and she won.
Blessing's jaw dropped literally. She then remembered that Francis was still in the sitting room, waiting for her. She managed to regain her composure quickly, and rushed to the fridge. She brought out a pack of juice and rinsed a cup. She put the cup and pack of juice in a tray and headed for the sitting room, leaving Ann in the kitchen.
By the time she got to the sitting room, Francis was no where to be found. He had gone.
IF YOU LIKED THIS STORY, PLS DONT FORGET TO VOTE FOR MY OTHER STORY IN THE ETISALAT PRIZE COMPETITION TO HELP SUPPORT. IT'LL TAKE YOU JUST 10 SECONDS! BUT IF YOU READ IT, IT'LL TAKE YOU JUST 1 MINUTE! THANKS ALOT GUYS. http://etisalatprize.com/life-is-just-funny/
Re: The Blame Switch - A Short Story by Mathicks(m): 9:57am On Oct 22, 2013
...CONTINUATION

It was a period of longer days and shorter nights, so the sun was already peeking down at the earth. The morning dew had begun to dry and the sleeping flowers were all awake. The day was beautiful and carried a fling of joy with it. Ann did not, however, share in that that joy. She was going to find out what was happening today! She was going to make her decision today. Yes, she had to.
She drove at a rather slow speed. Maybe to give herself more time to think and prepare herself, she did not know. She however, knew that there was no going back now. She had to go. She thanked God that she was able to calm herself enough at Blessing's house to ask for Francis' address. And she also thanked God that Blessing had the address. She silently prayed that she left his house with good results. Good results? She thought. What good results? She did not even know what she would consider as a good result right now. Her aim was just to reach the house and whatever happens, happens.
Her phone rang as she was about to make the final turn. She picked up.
''Hello, Ann, Its Dupe,''
''Dupe...hope no problem?''
''No, not at all,'' Dupe said at the other end. ''I just wanted to make sure that you were driving safely.''
''Aww, thank you very much Dupe. I am. I'm even driving too slow for my liking.''
''Its the anxiety. Just be careful. See you later.''
''I will, thank you dear'' Ann dropped her phone.
Ann parked her car outside and made her way towards the black gate.
She knocked.
She knocked again.
She knocked the third time, and simultaneously looked at her watch. It was seven o'clock a.m.
She had come this early because Blessing had told her that Francis might leave early for work. She did not want to miss him.
She knocked again, and this time, she heard a small shout from inside. She heard doors opening, especially the loud sound of what she assumed to be a burglary protection door.
She heard foot-steps and her heart thumped with each foot-step.
He finally opened the gate and his mouth parted slightly open. Of everything he was expecting, Ann was the least this morning. Especially after what had happened the previous day. He thought she would stay off a little and have some time to think things over first. Although, he knew she would eventually come, but he was not expecting her this early. Not yet.
As Ann sat on the leather chair, she heard Francis voice say, ''What should I get you?''.
She shook her head.
''I do not want anything for now, Francis,'' she said firmly. ''we have to talk.''
Mr. Moses Okene was driving by the street when a sudden sight caught his attention. He looked around suspiciously and brought out his phone. He just kept driving slowly and later picked up momentum. He parked his car beside a popular resturant and tried his friend's number again. This time it went.
''Moses man, whats going on? This one wey you call me this early''
''I have news oh.''
''Ehn ehn, spill it out''
''I just saw your wife's car''
''Where?''
To be continued....
please do not forget to help out with just a vote for my other story ''Life is Just Funny'' here http://etisalatprize.com/life-is-just-funny/ Thanks alot. You're awesome!!
Re: The Blame Switch - A Short Story by lovingangel(f): 9:59pm On Oct 22, 2013
Nice update but d suspense is killing... Abeg make u quick blow us Anoda update
Re: The Blame Switch - A Short Story by Nobody: 12:13pm On Oct 23, 2013
f0ll0wed.
Re: The Blame Switch - A Short Story by Habidab: 6:23pm On Oct 23, 2013
@Mathicks this your pieces are interesting,intriging and full of suspense.
I have voted for you,and am following your post bumber to bumber...keep rolling it out.
Re: The Blame Switch - A Short Story by merit12(f): 10:48pm On Oct 23, 2013
guy you try me o,nor try am again emmmm when he want tough you put am pause make i nor c your hand for dat remote again,nd come back here come put am for play before you comot nor comes house until i watch afinish kabish?
Re: The Blame Switch - A Short Story by Mathicks(m): 11:05am On Oct 24, 2013
More Coming up immediately!!!! You could read up this one in the mean time... Its kinda a true life story ... https://www.nairaland.com/1490374/crushed-short-story-new#19042950
Re: The Blame Switch - A Short Story by Mathicks(m): 5:43pm On Oct 26, 2013
Continuation in an hour...
Re: The Blame Switch - A Short Story by Habidab: 11:48pm On Oct 26, 2013
Mathicks: Continuation in an hour...
waiting your post bro
Re: The Blame Switch - A Short Story by Mathicks(m): 7:26am On Oct 27, 2013
...CONTINUATION

Ann looked around the house. It was nicely decorated and had a nice smell, something like strawberry. She tried to get more of the smell into her nasal tract. It was almost as if she was hyper-ventilating. Her surveying eyes came to a halt at the very familiar plaque that she knew too well. Francis had it while they were still together. He always talked about it and never for once moved it from its 'sacred' position. Francis had told her that he got the plaque when he came in second place in a quiz competition that his school was invited to partake in. Alot of other schools were invited and he was chosen to represent his school in the quiz category of the multi-category programme. Top figures in the society had also attended the event and his name was even published on one of the prominent newspapers at that time. Ever since, he had carried that plaque as if it were gold. Her subconscious smiled as her eyes moved away from the carved wood.
''so how have you been?'' Francis interrupted her mind stream.
''Very well, thank you,'' she was being formal, like she had just met him for the first time.
''hmm, i can imagine'' Francis chipped in, rather sarcastically.
''Is this your house?'' she changed the topic.
''Yes, I live here, but I dont own it. Its rented.'' he gave a slight smile.
''Nice place''
''thank you,'' Francis replied. ''is there a reason for this...err...'' he searched for the word. ''...err...rare visit?''
''erm.. I'm sorry. I shouldn't have come this early,'' she tried to sound indifferent. ''I didnt mean to disturb you and your wife''
''Where did you put her?''
''huh? I dont understand''
''you said 'my wife', so i'm asking where you must have kept her for me.''
She laughed.
''You're not married?''
''No'', he looked stern.
Ann sighed. ''I wish i'd been as wise as you''
''how do you mean?''
''This marriage thingy. Its not as...as rosy as people think it is''
''Well, it might be.., with the right people.''
Ann smiled.
''I guess the right people arn't always available.''
Something suddenly entered Francis' mind.
''How about your husband? Is he aware that you're here?''
she shook her head.
''Whats happening?''
''I ran away from home. I cant take it anymore.''
Francis gave a puzzled look.
''And he has not tried finding you?''
''I think he has. He has not just found me yet.''
''what about your phone? He doesn't call you?
''I've changed my sim-card''
He looked at her intently.
She caught his eyes.
''so what are you planning on doing?''
''I dont know. I'm not sure. For now, atleast.''
''What if your husband finds you one day?''
''I'll run away again''
''Have you not considered divorce?''
''No. He won't allow it. He wont''
''Look, if you want a divorce, you'll get it. I'll get you a good lawyer, you'll file him the letter, and all he has to do is sign it.''
''I'm scared. He seems so...so...powerful''
''Dont worry, I'll handle that part. All you'll have to do is append your own signature first''
she nodded.
''What about you?''
''what?''
''you've not told me anything about yourself, yet''
''whats there to tell? You know almost everything already''
she smiled, again.
''I know what I see on TV. What about what I dont see on TV?''
He let out a smile of his own
As he was about to reply, they heard a knock on the gate. Then another knock. Then another. The knocking became furious, and persistent.
Francis caught Ann's gaze.
''Are you expecting anyone?''
''No.'' he looked at the door, as if he could see through it. ''Did anybody know you were coming here?''
''No... I mean..yes, just my friend. Or maybe friends.''
Francis looked at her.
''Okay, you just stay here. I'm coming''
Ann went to the window and shifted the curtain a little to allow her view. Flashes of when she looked through the window at her own house came pounding through her mind lenses. She shook her head. What i it with windows? She thought.
She watched Francis approach the gate, following his every step. She admired his height and stature and started thinking about the time they were together. She jolted back into the world of the conscious when her husband came into view. He looked furious. Yes, he should be. How did he find me? She wondered. She was still in shock when two other men pushed through Francis and forced themselves into the compound. She was in trouble now, and she knew it. Francis tried to argue with them, but another very huge man came in and started uttering what looked like words of threat to Francis. They were staring each other in the eyeball.
She did not know what they were saying. Did they know that she was inside here? Shiiiiit!! She remembered. Her car!

Guys, thanks for continual support. I appreciate it. Voting is still on pls, you can support me by just taking 10 seconds to click ''vote for me'' here on my 'life is just funny'' story http://etisalatprize.com/life-is-just-funny/ THANKS ALOT!! I appreciate it.

1 Like

Re: The Blame Switch - A Short Story by Mathicks(m): 7:30am On Oct 27, 2013
......CONTINUATION

Her mind hooted one last swear before she jumped to her feet and started looking frantically everywhere around the house. She followed her instincts and ran to the kitchen.
Outside, Francis was still trying to prevent the four men from entering the house. He knew he was not going to be able to stop them, but he had to try, atleast.
''What is my wife's car doing outside your compound?''
''How should I know? Why not call whoever your wife is and ask her''
''Look, Mr.Man, I did not come here to joke. Where is my wife?''
''Maybe you should be asking yourself that question''
Thomas looked outside once again and scrutinized his wife's car. They had checked it before, it was his wife's. The only problem is that it wasnt parked directly in front of this compound, but this was his best lead.
He looked at Francis again. He then looked at the three men, one at a time, then he started walking towards the building.
The three men took his cue and followed suit. The last huge man pushed the gate fully open and allowed himself in completely, immediately proceeding towards the main building too.
Ann kept her ears to the ground. Her legs were shaky. What was she going to do? Why did she come here, she thought.
She heard a very familiar voice speaking, ''search everywhere, dont leave anywhere''.
Meanwhile, Francis was making some phone calls. He was still by the gate.
Ann trusted her instincts and started listening to foot-steps. The early-morning-effect made them sound louder. She quickly saw a door in the kitchen, and assumed it led to the backyard. She moved her hand to open it, but paused. What if they were outside, and in the backyard too?
She had no other choice now, did she? If she stayed here, she'll be seen, so its better she takes the risk where there is a fifty-fifty chance. She unbolted the door and twisted the handle very slowly. As it began to open, she heard the front door bang shut. Her palms became wet but her pace increased.
She finally got out through the door. She was in the backyard. She ran to the corner to look. There was nobody in sight. She looked around like a child who had got his white shirt stained with stew, after so many warnings.
It was now or never. She halted again. She was not sure if it was all the men that were inside or there were still some outside the gate. She took her chances, anyway. She started running towards the gate, bending down to avoid the windows.
Francis looked back. He saw her running towards him, her shoes in her hands. He almost burst out laughing but was somehow able to control himself.
He quickly pointed her towards a structure that was on the far end of the gate. He remembered that the men had checked there, and were unlikely to check it again when they came out. He couldnt let her run outside the gate like that, without any clue of where she was going to.
Ann opened the door to the structure. She went in. It was a toilet.
The Landlord of the house had built shops in front of the house and had built a toilet inside the compound for the shop owners to use whenever they were pressed. All the shops were vacant for now, however, because the area where the house was located was not very open. It was still a developing area, and it would be hard to just decide to start selling things in a shop in that kind of area.
Francis didnt like the area too but he had to stay there for the time being, until he was able to afford the kind of house he liked and in the kind of environment he wanted.
Ann held her breathe, even if there was no sign of putrid smell coming from the toilet.
The men came out from the house with a mixture of plea and anger written on their faces. Thank God he had asked her to wear her shoes inside, Francis thought. If not, they'ld have been busted.
''sir i'm sorry, we could not find her inside,'' Thomas started in a funny way. ''You'd have to understand with me, please, I thought she was here''
Francis nodded.
The men still stayed outside, looking at Ann's car. They imagined where she could be. They looked at another house nearby, but feared going in and getting the same failed results. Thomas brought out his phone and called a towing company.

....continuation below
Re: The Blame Switch - A Short Story by Mathicks(m): 7:35am On Oct 27, 2013
.....continuation

Francis brought out his own phone, and scrolled to 'Recent Calls'. He dialed the first number.
''Hello.. Benjamin, abeg no come again. I've got this controlled already'' he spoke when Benjamin picked up.
''Haaa, i'm very close-by oo. I'll release the boys, but i'll still come over.''
''okay, no problem in that case. I'll be waiting''
''aaight''.
''yeah'', Francis put his phone back in his short pocket.
Thomas got tired of waiting, and was already preparing to go. He decided to say one last sorry to Francis, and take his leave. He approached Francis again and this time had a half smile on his lips.
''I'm really sorry for the disturbance. You see, i've been looking for my wife and...''
Francis nodded.
''...and I havn't been able to find her anywhere. I saw her car outside your compound now and I thought she was here.''
Francis nodded again.
''but please, If you see any person that might be looking for her car, or anything that might get you suspecious, just flash me please''
Francis nodded, again.
''Let me give you my number... Its...''
Ann's phone beeped.
It beeped again.
With one swift move, Ann brought the phone out of her purse. She stared at it, but so much glucose mixed adrenaline had got into her eye sockets that she could not even clearly. Slowly, the image became clear.
The two beeps were messages from her network provider.
Once again, the early-morning-effect had made the sounds unusually loud.
The two beeps sounded in a second. That second could have been enough to do the damage, Ann thought.
She swallowed her own saliva. Praying.

Guys, thanks for continual support. I appreciate it. Voting is still on pls, you can support me by just taking 10 seconds to click ''vote for me'' here on my 'life is just funny'' story http://etisalatprize.com/life- is-just-funny/THANKS ALOT!! I appreciate it.

.....to be continued.
Re: The Blame Switch - A Short Story by Habidab: 12:31pm On Oct 27, 2013
Can't stop laughing,but Mathicks put it in way that they won't find her and possibly she will end up divorcing Thomas and get married to Francis her first love.
Re: The Blame Switch - A Short Story by Nobody: 5:44pm On Oct 27, 2013
Habidab: Can't stop laughing,but Mathicks put it in way that they won't find her and possibly she will end up divorcing Thomas and get married to Francis her first love.
Mathicks,pls grant his request o.The guy sounds like he would try a back flip off 3rd mainland bridge if u did otherwise. Lol
Re: The Blame Switch - A Short Story by Mathicks(m): 6:48pm On Oct 27, 2013
Nkpume Iko:
Mathicks,pls grant his request o.The guy sounds like he would try a back flip off 3rd mainland bridge if u did otherwise. Lol
hahahaha.. You aint serious.. But, I dont decide the story..lol.. Depends on what that little guy in my mind says..lol
Re: The Blame Switch - A Short Story by Habidab: 11:06pm On Oct 27, 2013
Nkpume Iko:
though the story is highly interesting but come on I don't mean it to that level.but gotta learn how to give answer to some people post overhere.lol
Re: The Blame Switch - A Short Story by Habidab: 11:10pm On Oct 27, 2013
Mathicks: hahahaha.. You aint serious.. But, I dont decide the story..lol.. Depends on what that little guy in my mind says..lol
Put it anyway you like.I am not telling you to divert the attention of your reader.but such statement from that Nkpume Iko guy is abit harsh.PLEASE LEARN TO RESPECT THE OPINION OF OTHERS...
Re: The Blame Switch - A Short Story by kingphilip(m): 11:33pm On Oct 27, 2013
Habidab: though the story is highly interesting but come on I don't mean it to that level.but gotta learn how to give answer to some people post overhere.lol
calm down jare the guy was jst joking neva meant to hurt u or get at u
Re: The Blame Switch - A Short Story by Nobody: 6:19am On Oct 28, 2013
Habidab: though the story is highly interesting but come on I don't mean it to that level.but gotta learn how to give answer to some people post overhere.lol
Habidab Cmon, it was a joke man.Am feeling the suspense as much as you are, was only looking for a joke to lighten the tension.*cheers*
Re: The Blame Switch - A Short Story by Nobody: 6:23am On Oct 28, 2013
Hey guys...do try out my story,am sure you would love it.He you go:https://www.nairaland.com/1467567/last-star
Re: The Blame Switch - A Short Story by Mathicks(m): 2:54pm On Oct 28, 2013
Contunuation in an hour...
Re: The Blame Switch - A Short Story by Habidab: 4:26pm On Oct 28, 2013
kingphilip:
Nkpume Iko:
Habidab Cmon, it was a joke man.Am feeling the suspense as much as you are, was only looking for a joke to lighten the tension.*cheers*
kingphilip:
No bad feelings too,ride on

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

In Murky Waters (A Romance Suspense Novelette By Kayode Odusanya) / Drop A Comment Here And I'll Help You Make A Book Cover / Literature Section Awards Nomination Thread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.