Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,866 members, 7,802,789 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 09:37 PM

No Nigerian Citizenship For British By Marriage - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / No Nigerian Citizenship For British By Marriage (24351 Views)

Nigerian Citizenship Eligibility With Regard To Elected Offices / Nigerians Running For British Parliamentary Seats / Asari Dokubo Adopts Benin Republic, Dumps Nigerian Citizenship. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

No Nigerian Citizenship For British By Marriage by CHOCHORI(m): 4:27pm On Jul 02, 2008
Dear All,
I was shocked today by the response from the Nigerian Embassy London by 15:57(02/07/08) that there is no provision for citizenship for any British by marriage.
I am married to an English girl and she loves Nigeria so much and want to be a Citizen but was shocked when we were told that she can't get Nigerian citizenship notwitstanding that we are married and I hold dual citizenship.
Could this be a reality- I am entitled to dual citizenship -British by the virtue of marriage and Nigerian by birth but my wife is not entitled to Nigerian citizenship on the same basis(Marriage)
Guys abeg I need some info as I don't know what and how to go about this,
Re: No Nigerian Citizenship For British By Marriage by Eziachi: 4:52pm On Jul 02, 2008
Please tell your English wife that their refusal is a blessing for her in disguise. Why on earth does she want to be a Nigerian citizen? Have you introduced her to Sapele water or what that has turn her brain upside down? Many of us want to throw Nigerian citizenship into the River Niger if possible and someone is sane enough to want one. She can have mine if she is that desperate. I know blind Nigerian patriots will all come out of the wood works now and jump on my throat but they knew I am saying the truth.

But how many places do they travel with Nigerian passport if they has an alternative? Those useless people at the embassy that call themselves diplomats need their heads examined for refusing any willing lamb a citizenship of a yawaa country like Nigeria. This is what happen when you have a gworo chewing mallam as president, a junta bastard man as senate president, a former hungry teacher as vice president, a motor mouth as speaker and a nonentity of Ojo Nmaduekwe as foreign minister.

1 Like

Re: No Nigerian Citizenship For British By Marriage by CHOCHORI(m): 4:58pm On Jul 02, 2008
BROTHER I TIRE FOR THIS KIN THING OOOO.
IF I PERSONALLY DID NOT SPEAK WITH THE EMBASSY I WONT BELIEVE THIS FROM ANYONE.
TOMORROW THEM GO SAY COUNTRIES AINT ALLOWING NIGERIANS TO ENTER WHAT MORE GET CITIZENSHIP.
ANYWAY I LEAVE THIS ONE TO GOD,
Re: No Nigerian Citizenship For British By Marriage by IMCCN(m): 5:10pm On Jul 02, 2008
Eziachi:

Please tell your English wife that their refusal is a blessing for her in disguise. Why on earth does she want to be a Nigerian citizen? Have you introduced her to Sapele water or what that has turn her brain upside down? Many of us want to throw Nigerian citizenship into the River Niger if possible and someone is sane enough to want one. She can have mine if she is that desperate. I know blind Nigerian patriots will all come out of the wood works now and jump on my throat but they knew I am saying the truth.

But how many places do they travel with Nigerian passport if they has an alternative? Those useless people at the embassy that call themselves diplomats need their heads examined for refusing any willing lamb a citizenship of a yawaa country like Nigeria. This is what happen when you have a gworo chewing mallam as president, a junta bastard man as senate president, a former hungry teacher as vice president, a motor mouth as speaker and a nonentity of Ojo Nmaduekwe as foreign minister.
bros, i understand your anger but that was too rough and raw, especially the name-callings! don't you see from even that report that for NAIJA, all hope is not lost yet? Let's keep hope alive pls.
Re: No Nigerian Citizenship For British By Marriage by BigB11(m): 6:07pm On Jul 02, 2008
Please tell your English wife that their refusal is a blessing for her in disguise.  Why on earth does she want to be a Nigerian citizen? Have you introduced her to Sapele water or what that has turn her brain upside down?  Many of us want to throw Nigerian citizenship into the River Niger if possible and someone is sane enough to want one.
Absolutely unnecessary!

Here comes another hopeless bubblehead who lacks the ability to see anything that isn't siting right on his nose.

Do you understand the true meaning of citizenship?
Yes, things are tough in Nigeria today, but who knows what tomorrow will bring?
If we continue to regard or treat our own country with contempt and rudeness, what do we expect from the outsiders?
So, because Nigeria isn't among the best countries on your list, therefore, Nigerian citizenship should be given freely to everybody?

To me, this is a sign of complete disrespect towards our nation and our people. I wonder if it is a lack of understanding causing this unnecessary disrespect towards our country or folks just don't care. Well, whatever it may be, one thing is certain, our offhand disdainfulness towards our country will not benefit us in any way, but further salvage our already bombarded image.

It will only be sensible for all to chillout and recognize the fact that people will only treat us the manner we've chosen to present ourselves.

There are tons of Africans and others that see something special in Nigeria and Nigerians.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: No Nigerian Citizenship For British By Marriage by BigB11(m): 6:08pm On Jul 02, 2008
@poster: check out this site for more info.

http://www.multiplecitizenship.com/wscl/ws_NIGERIA.html
Re: No Nigerian Citizenship For British By Marriage by superman(m): 6:43pm On Jul 02, 2008
oloshissssssssssssss!!! before u know it oyibo do carry your granny land!

to the poster

why dnt u ask the jews why they keep their jewsih self to their kind! make ur iyawo go apply for visa if she dey serious!
Re: No Nigerian Citizenship For British By Marriage by vigasimple(m): 6:48pm On Jul 02, 2008
To CHOCHORI

The poster did not get his information right. Even when you are married to a national of a country, you also need residence requirement or qualification.

For example, you will have stayed legally in the UK for 3 years before you can apply to become British if you are married to a british, and 5 years with indefinite leave to remain if you are not married.

So, you can just turn up and get citizenship like that. Your children born after the marriage are autmotically Britsh and Nigerian and you can get either or both passports for them.

My opinion is that your wife will have to come and live in Nigeria for at least 3 years before she can apply for naturalisation to become a Nigerian Citizen, and that is the general rule in most countries of the world with some small variation.

2 Likes

Re: No Nigerian Citizenship For British By Marriage by bilymuse: 7:00pm On Jul 02, 2008
who wants to come and live in Nigeria for 3 years before becoming a citizen, its crazy !!!!!!!!!!

You ll be lucky, if you are still normal after 3 years, provided you re alive. Armed robbers regularly target returnees, and the Nigeria factor would make lose faith in humanity.
Re: No Nigerian Citizenship For British By Marriage by coolier(f): 7:03pm On Jul 02, 2008
vigasimple:

To CHOCHORI
My opinion is that your wife will have to come and live in Nigeria for at least 3 years before she can apply for naturalisation to become a Nigerian Citizen, and that is the general rule in most countries of the world with some small variation.

Spot on. And poster to note should they decide to move to/reside in Nigeria for 3 years or more for his wife to be able to naturalize, she would need a visa to reenter the country each time she leaves.
Re: No Nigerian Citizenship For British By Marriage by BigB11(m): 7:15pm On Jul 02, 2008
who wants to come and live in Nigeria for 3 years before becoming a citizen, its crazy !!!!!!!!!!

You ll be lucky, if you are still normal after 3 years, provided you re alive. Armed robbers regularly target returnees, and the Nigeria factor would make lose faith in humanity.

Not everybody is from your neighbourhood, you know!
Re: No Nigerian Citizenship For British By Marriage by oldie(m): 8:24pm On Jul 02, 2008
bilymuse:

This is the type of Nigerians I have problems with
Arrogant, Ignorant and brainless!
Re: No Nigerian Citizenship For British By Marriage by deor03(m): 8:59pm On Jul 02, 2008
@ poster

There is NO big deal in the decision.    The applicant does not meet the minimum requirement for Nigerian citizenship. Full stop. angry

Besides, "Liking Nigeria" is NOT enough as a reason to demand our citizenship

Do you know the number of people that like America?
Re: No Nigerian Citizenship For British By Marriage by Radiant(f): 9:30pm On Jul 02, 2008
Poster, don't be too shocked. Either the Embassy didn't explain the procedure to you or you skipped to mention they did and jumped to the conclusion that it's impossible.

It's possible for your wife to obtain Nigerian citizenship when she meets the criteria.
Re: No Nigerian Citizenship For British By Marriage by Akolawole(m): 2:05am On Jul 03, 2008
Quote from CHOcori

Dear All,
I was shocked today by the response from the Nigerian Embassy London by 15:57(02/07/08) that there is no provision for citizenship for any British by marriage.
I am married to an English girl and she loves Nigeria so much and want to be a Citizen but was shocked when we were told that she can't get Nigerian citizenship notwitstanding that we are married and I hold dual citizenship.
Could this be a reality- I am entitled to dual citizenship -British by the virtue of marriage and Nigerian by birth but my wife is not entitled to Nigerian citizenship on the same basis(Marriage)
Guys abeg I need some info as I don't know what and how to go about this,

Why must Nigeria constitution be at par with UK law? Why?

Secondly, You dont become British citizen by virtue of Marriage.

Marrying a British National entitles to Permanent residency(ILR), applying for British nationality by naturalisation is a matter of choice.

It took Tai Solarin's wife over 20 years before he was given Nigerian nationality despite living in Nigeria for years.
Re: No Nigerian Citizenship For British By Marriage by presido1: 7:54am On Jul 03, 2008
@Eziachi
Please tell your English wife that their refusal is a blessing for her in disguise.  Why on earth does she want to be a Nigerian citizen? Have you introduced her to Sapele water or what that has turn her brain upside down?  Many of us want to throw Nigerian citizenship into the River Niger if possible and someone is sane enough to want one.  She can have mine if she is that desperate.  I know blind Nigerian patriots will all come out of the wood works now and jump on my throat but they knew I am saying the truth.

But how many places do they travel with Nigerian passport if they has an alternative? Those useless people at the embassy that call themselves diplomats need their heads examined for refusing any willing lamb a citizenship of a yawaa country like Nigeria.  This is what happen when you have a gworo chewing mallam as president, a junta bastard man as senate president, a former hungry teacher as vice president, a motor mouth as speaker and a nonentity of Ojo Nmaduekwe as foreign minister.
Why haven't you thrown it to River Niger yet, you are still considering or what? If you are from Eziachi community yab big time.

@poster

If your wife really need naija kpali take her to naija. let her work and pay tax to naija govt, I have a friend that married a British as well, they leave in Germany,when he tried to apply for British citizen they denied him on the basis that he is not leaving in UK hence he is not qualified.
marrying from another country don't give you automatic citizenship of that country.
Re: No Nigerian Citizenship For British By Marriage by Eziachi: 9:34am On Jul 03, 2008
IMCCN:

bros, i understand your anger but that was too rough and raw, especially the name-callings! don't you see from even that report that for NAIJA, all hope is not lost yet? Let's keep hope alive please.
presido1:

@EziachiWhy haven't you thrown it to River Niger yet, you are still considering or what? If you are from Eziachi community yab big time.

@poster

If your wife really need naija kpali take her to naija. let her work and pay tax to naija govt, I have a friend that married a British as well, they leave in Germany,when he tried to apply for British citizen they denied him on the basis that he is not leaving in UK hence he is not qualified.
marrying from another country don't give you automatic citizenship of that country.

Why I haven't throw into the River Niger yet is to avoid paying the yawaa Nigeria diplomats my hard earned cash for visa anytime I want to visit my now aged grand parent, if not you can equally have it if you want. I am still say why anyone want to be a Nigerian, let alone having to go and live there for three years to get it. As she ikely to be kidnapped before she get it, more likely armed robber will send her to her early grave first and when she gets it, it may had been manufactured at Jankara market through Oluwole.
You guys can say what you like, but being patrotic doesn't mean been blind, deaf and dumb. By the way I am not from Ezaichi, in your dreams mate!!!!
Re: No Nigerian Citizenship For British By Marriage by Eziachi: 9:45am On Jul 03, 2008
oldie:

This is the type of Nigerians I have problems with
Arrogant, Ignorant and brainless!

This is the type of Nigerians you hated because they speak the truth so that you lot can change instead playing blind patrotism. Arrogant, ignorant and brainless to you maybe but no need playing a gallant patriot in far away Texas, London, Paris, Madrid or New York. You should head home straight away and enjoy the paradise, where the only triving business is politics coated in looting public fund.

Anybody crying for being refused a Nigerian citizenship is like the best player in the world crying for being refused to lace his boot for Equatorial Guinea of all footballing nations.
Re: No Nigerian Citizenship For British By Marriage by CHOCHORI(m): 10:19am On Jul 03, 2008
This is the type of Nigerians you hated because they speak the truth so that you lot can change instead playing blind patrotism. Arrogant, ignorant and brainless to you maybe but no need playing a gallant patriot in far away Texas, London, Paris, Madrid or New York. You should head home straight away and enjoy the paradise, where the only triving business is politics coated in looting public fund.

Anybody crying for being refused a Nigerian citizenship is like the best player in the world crying for being refused to lace his boot for Equatorial Guinea of all footballing nations.

@ Eziachi- God will bless you for saying the truth. Really suprised that our new generation still got loads of psycophants. Its going to be a long time before things will change. I thought Nigeria has Citizenship by registration but it looks like it is one of those political promises from politicians.
Anyway- The Embassy can keep their passport at the moment- If am desparate for it I will get it through the Nigerian way but I dont wont to contribute to any corrupt practice in Nigeria - The statistics is already high.
Re: No Nigerian Citizenship For British By Marriage by Nobody: 10:34am On Jul 03, 2008
Shame on Nigeria!!!!!!!!
Re: No Nigerian Citizenship For British By Marriage by spikedcylinder: 11:43am On Jul 03, 2008
CHOCHORI:

@ Eziachi- God will bless you for saying the truth. Really suprised that our new generation still got loads of psycophants. Its going to be a long time before things will change. I thought Nigeria has Citizenship by registration but it looks like it is one of those political promises from politicians.
Anyway- The Embassy can keep their passport at the moment- If am desparate for it I will get it through the Nigerian way but I don't wont to contribute to any corrupt practice in Nigeria - The statistics is already high.

If Nigeria is so bad (at least as bad as your english), why does your wife "like" her so?
Re: No Nigerian Citizenship For British By Marriage by Blackcat(f): 11:48am On Jul 03, 2008
nuzo:

Shame on Nigeria!!!!!!!!

IDIOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Shame on you too!!!!!!!!!!!!!. The next time I see you in my beloved country, you are DEAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You hear me DEAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  angry angry angry

And that goes for the rest of you animals out there insulting my father/mother's land!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! angry angry angry angry

LONG LIVE THE FEDERAL REPUBLIC OF NIGERIA!!! grin
LONG LIVE LOYAL CITIZENS OF NIGERIA!!! grin
LONG LIVE AFRICA!!! grin
LONG LIVE THE BLACK RACE!!! grin

2 Likes

Re: No Nigerian Citizenship For British By Marriage by delejames(m): 11:54am On Jul 03, 2008
see
Blackcat:

IDIOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Shame on you too!!!!!!!!!!!!!. The next time I see you in my beloved country, you are DEAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You hear me DEAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! angry angry angry

And that goes for the rest of you animals out there insulting my father/mother's land!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! angry angry angry angry

LONG LIVE AFRICA!!! grin

I beleive NIGERIA is gonna change for the better.
Re: No Nigerian Citizenship For British By Marriage by Blackcat(f): 11:56am On Jul 03, 2008
@ Big B1 , mightydick , vigasimple ,oldie , deor03 , coolier and delejames

Kudos to you guys! wink

Keep the flag flying! grin

LONG LIVE NIGERIA!!! grin
Re: No Nigerian Citizenship For British By Marriage by Nobody: 12:00pm On Jul 03, 2008
There a whole bunch of bastard Nigerians on Nairaland that Nigeria don't need.

So if you are not a proud Nigerian, please keep off Nairaland, because this is a Proudly Naija forum.
Re: No Nigerian Citizenship For British By Marriage by Nobody: 12:14pm On Jul 03, 2008
Blackcat:

IDIOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Shame on you too!!!!!!!!!!!!!. The next time I see you in my beloved country, you are DEAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You hear me DEAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  angry angry angry

LONG LIVE AFRICA!!! grin

Threatning to kill me for airing my humble opinion is one of the reasons your beloved country cannot progress. Well, how can i blame you; only beasts, murderers and cheats survive easily in the goddamned country. Killing the innocent is already a norm there.

What has black race got to do with this topic? Or do you have a feeling there is something wrong with it too?
ilugunboy:

There a whole bunch of bastard Nigerians on Nairaland that Nigeria don't need.

So if you are not a proud Nigerian, please keep off Nairaland, because this is a Proudly Naija forum.

You are the biggest joke of the century.
Until you are able to convince us that you are now seun and that nairaland is strictly for blind patriots, am afraid you are just whining. tongue
Re: No Nigerian Citizenship For British By Marriage by Nobody: 12:34pm On Jul 03, 2008
@poster

Like Eziachi told you earlier; tell your wife to run for her dear life. Anything Nigeria is bad omen, To be forwarned is to be forarmed.
Re: No Nigerian Citizenship For British By Marriage by izeek(m): 12:42pm On Jul 03, 2008
purtting nigeria on the right track means doing things the right way.
if refusing someone citizenship is one of the right steps to getting nigeria back where it shud be, then so be it.
soo many of us line up at various embassies just to get entry visa's to thier counties,
why cant naija impose such on these same ppl.
abeg let ur wife follow right procedure if she must belong.
i believe in this country, and if u all dont, then nah una dey spoil naija.
Re: No Nigerian Citizenship For British By Marriage by Nobody: 12:46pm On Jul 03, 2008
Ssddd
Re: No Nigerian Citizenship For British By Marriage by redsun(m): 12:48pm On Jul 03, 2008
What will a british citizen need a nigerian citizenship for? apart from boredom,i guess.Being british is a gateway to the world,not even american citizenship is necessary as a british.

Citizenship is about relevance,being a nigerian is just as woeful as being a somalian,not even as good as somalians because somalians have refugees status.Nigerian is not at war yet it is like a war torn country,no statistics,no basic infracstructures and amenities,no form of welfare or care for the citizens,especially children,the government system is a crime syndicate,i mean,how can one want be a citizen of a country like that?unless of course you are left with no choice like us,the indigenes,even the indigenes have had enough of it,thus the  cry and fight for secession going on right now.
Re: No Nigerian Citizenship For British By Marriage by CHOCHORI(m): 12:49pm On Jul 03, 2008
Oh my God!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can't even believe this is going on. Why can't we be sincere for once. I love my country but I always denounce and condemn the evils and corruptions perpetrated by the leaders and the citizenry.
 If I am not- my wife would not want to be a Nigerian citizen and I would have denounced my citizenship long time ago. On the other hand- who in his or her right sense of mind will threathen to kill a fellow citizen just because he expressed his opinion. I brought this issue here because I believe that we got mature minds and straight thinking comrades with potentials of changing our father land but unfortunatly the reactions and comments are not recommending at all.
Guys we need to grow up. The only way to make corrections is first of all accepting that something is wrong and work towards it. people are suffering at home and we are being rejected by even our neighbouring countries and we are proud of the wrongs we are doing. We should be proud of our country but always stand up against the ills of the society- that way we will have a better Nigeria.
This is my stand. Nigeria will be better if and only if we will stand up against the evils and uphold justice.
Re: No Nigerian Citizenship For British By Marriage by CHOCHORI(m): 12:56pm On Jul 03, 2008
@ angelloven ----
I didn't come here to be insulted and please don't insult my family and don't make it personal ok.
If you don't have anything to contribute please do not insult my veryself and family else I will take it legal.
Thanks.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

PDP Warns Nigerians To Disregard Results On Social Media / Sani Abacha's 74th Posthumous Birthday (Cuts His Birthday Cake In Throwback Pic) / Nana Akufo-Addo Tenders Apology For Demolition, Orders Investigation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.